Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just finished Journey there. I had doubts about the game going into it. I found the teams previous game Flower was pretty but utterly vapid, pretentious with no message to back up the visuals.

Unfortunately I have to admit that Ultimate_Hipster might have a very good point about how good this game is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just finished Journey there. I had doubts about the game going into it. I found the teams previous game Flower was pretty but utterly vapid, pretentious with no message to back up the visuals.

Unfortunately I have to admit that Ultimate_Hipster might have a very good point about how good this game is.

It's something else, isn't it? Have never had such an involving gaming experience in my life. It's very hard to overstate how remarkable it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's something else, isn't it? Have never had such an involving gaming experience in my life. It's very hard to overstate how remarkable it is.

Yes it really is. Also nice to play two games in a row with thoroughly satisfying conclusions (the other being Xenoblade). The guy I ended up playing with was a bit of a muppet making mistakes all the time, think he was a first timer like me but there was definitely a bond there and I always helped him out without getting annoyed.

What a bit difference not having a microphone makes when you can't get called a racial slur for not keeping up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Game Boy: How a Sega OutRun Game Cabinet Became a Car.
    One man's quest to turn a video game into a real drive.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features/game-boy-how-a-sega-outrun-game-cabinet-became-a-car-feature

how-a-sega-outrun-game-cabinet-became-a-car-inline-top-photo-455876-s-original.jpg

how-a-sega-outrun-game-cabinet-became-a-car-inline1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

EnterNow wrote: »
    Of course it is, it's Nintendo ffs - reboots & ports are how they roll

*hides from ghostchants inevitable rage

2uq0wbd.jpg

"RETR0LL"

Awww man, thast is perfect! :D

Simple put, everyone should watch this video. And by everyone I mean every single person who has a smart phone, in the world!!!

Also, it's cute :)

Steve SI wrote: »
    Game Boy: How a Sega OutRun Game Cabinet Became a Car.
    One man's quest to turn a video game into a real drive.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features/game-boy-how-a-sega-outrun-game-cabinet-became-a-car-feature

how-a-sega-outrun-game-cabinet-became-a-car-inline-top-photo-455876-s-original.jpg

how-a-sega-outrun-game-cabinet-became-a-car-inline1.jpg

WOOOOAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH..........

Now hold up just a minute there man....... :eek:

That thing seriously kicks the **** out of the "Appblaster" for the iphone.

Similar concepts, but **** me, I haven't read the article yet and I'm mind blown already. :eek:

This conecept of augmented reality is blowing mind recently.

And also, Time Crisis + a Gun Con is blowing my mind recently too.

The Gadget Show Battlefield 3 Simulator also blows my mind.

I think we're going to see some solid developments with all these 3 types of tech, to really bring the fps experience to a higher level.

And I cannot wait for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Steve SI wrote: »
    21536597.jpg

Just grabbed the PC floppy disk version of Rise of the Robots from a seller in Dublin.
    The guy knows what he has as well, nabbed it for 1 euro complete in box with all abominations intact.

82423218.jpg

dear god,I won a copy of that in my local arcade many moons ago,tried very hard and very unsucessfully to shift it thru buy and sell for six months coming up to Christmas that year.did eventually find the true usefulness for it though.

Floppy discs roasting on an open fire,RoR off my hands at last!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Tokyo jungle is out tomorrow, anyone pre order it? The best price I could find is on yes Asia at €49 with free shipping. I think it's €45 on play Asia but there's shipping on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Think I might get myself a Vita when this comes out

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-retro-city/731510

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

looks like a lot of fun, not quite "buy a vita" fun but good craic none the less. Its going to be released for PS3 as well so I might pick it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Think I might get myself a Vita when this comes out

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-retro-city/731510

It will be out on GoG and Steam as well. Not worth a PS Vita in other words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

xgcJw.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Shenmue 2...Dreamcast or Xbox is best to play it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tokyo jungle is out tomorrow, anyone pre order it? The best price I could find is on yes Asia at €49 with free shipping. I think it's €45 on play Asia but there's shipping on top.

Preordered from Yes Asia myself. 1st game ive pre-ordered since Street Fighter 4 I think :pac:

Just realised theres 2 versions. Should I have ordered Japanese or Asian version :/

Xbox I think. Off the top of my head I'm not sure if it was dubbed into English on the Dreamcast.

The voice acting is half the fun of the Shenmue games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Preordered from Yes Asia myself. 1st game ive pre-ordered since Street Fighter 4 I think :pac:

Just realised theres 2 versions. Should I have ordered Japanese or Asian version :/

In general the only difference is that the Asian version will have an English manual but the game itself will still be in Japanese. The Japanese version will have the manual in Japanese.

The xbox version looks nicer but it just feels wrong on the xbox as it feels like it should be played on the Dreamcast. IMO anyway. Downside is the DC version is relatively expensive compared to the xbox version.

Only 1 DVD on the xbox version versus 4 GD-roms for the DC.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Only 1 DVD on the xbox version versus 4 GD-roms for the DC.

The experience over convenience!

But swapping discs takes me out of the experience!

DinoRex wrote: »
    But swapping discs takes me out of the experience!

Ah now!

Went ahead and preordered Tokyo Jungle, was humming and hawwing about it but just went ahead and ordered. Hopefully it'll be good and not too text heavy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

1335987263_BOTTOM_30.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Lads..I'm trying my best to actually play bubble bobble properly.After twenty something years of just fluting around for fun enough is enough.I'm really trying the last week.
    Any tips...I can't get buy around level 28 on 1 cred and my Max score is around the 500,000 mark...pathetic I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Shenmue II (PAL version) on Dreamcast V Shenmue II on Xbox

Note: All the following fall under "as far as I know". I've not started on Shenmue 1 or 2, but they're relatively high on the list.

Pros: Xbox
    • Cheaper? (YMMV)
    • Less glitchy
    • More durable packaging compared to the PAL DC versions
    • Less discs - 1 DVD versus 4x GD ROMs. Or 0 if you've modded your Xbox.
      • Dunno if "Shenmue The Movie" came on a separate disk.
    • Only *simple* way to play the game with English language voice acting; the alternative has an audible drop in bitrate.
    • As a console the Xbox is also considerably less noisy than the Dreamcast which (at least in my case) sometimes sounds like its experiencing some form of indigestion through its GDROM drive.
    • Higher res graphics? Maybe? Certainly doesn't require much more than a cable you probably have anyway compared to a DC's VGA cable/box/mod.
    • Came with "Shenmue The Movie"
      • (wikipedia says: cutscenes from the first Shenmue game, to fill you in on the story so far)
    Cons: Xbox
    • That nagging feeling you're not playing it on a Sega console...
    • or with a Dreamcast controller
      • Though there's a really, really round about way of doing it that isn't cheap or especially practical practical)
    • Cannot import Shenmue (1) data into it.
      • Not having played done this I don't know if you're missing all that much

Additional note: I don't know if the Xbox 360 is backwards compatible with Shenmue, and neither does wikipedia as of this moment. Anyone got a copy and want to try it out? For science?

Pros: Dreamcast
    • SEEEEE-GA
      • (That warm fuzzy feeling you're doing it right entirely untainted by hardware created by a multi-million dollar corporation with business practices that make shareholders happy. Boring jerks.)
    • A Dreamcast controller with a battery guzzling VMU in your hands
    • Compatible with importing PAL Shenmue (1) data, with no drama or faffing about.
      • And there is some complicated workaround to get a different regions S1 data to load into S2 too, but again I don't know the specifics.

Neither Pro nor Con: Dreamcast

• With effort, its possible (if you're a dirty, dirty criminal or just for the sake of discussing a hypothetical scenario) to find and burn both Shenmue (1) and Shenmue 2 onto CDs and play them with 99% of unmodded Dreamcasts
      • [specifically what I mean is somewhere between "just a little effort" and "with considerable effort"].
    • Additionally, fans have mad edits of these WITH ENGLISH LANGUAGE AUDIO swapped back in.
      • However the sound quality of these recordings leaves much to be desired.
    • Of course, purists also just ripped the GD-ROMs as is with the intention of one day getting them running through the Dreamcast's SD card adapter.
      • Dunno if that happened, I don't think its happened yet though.
    • There are (supposedly) "99 minute" blank CD Rs that can reliably have more data over burned onto them so they can nearly deliver the same experience as the GD ROM discs.
      • I'm skeptical though, I've only seen them on Deal Extreme and they've too many bananas on 'em to be reassured (actual banana clip art on each CD-R :confused: Chinese CD-R designers, you so crazy).

Cons: Dreamcast

• While PAL Shenmue 2 doesn't command utterly insane prices, as it was never released in the US the demand is a bit higher. So its neither the cheaper nor the prettier version you're buying.
    • The plastic of PAL Dreamcast packaging. You're swear they're made of the same stuff the tapes in Mission Impossible TV show briefings were made of. Again, this means nicer one's just get the price driven up more and more...
    • More glitchy
    • Possibility of "The last disk doesn't work!" drama that doesn't exist with the Xbox version.
    I've probably forgotten something. I'll edit in later if I think of it, or anyone else knows/sees/didded something I don't/didn't/derp't.

I'll spare you my opinion on which to get, because its plain obvious I'm a fanboy. I would suggest, ahem, that you try before you buy in this as in anything else.

edit:
    Thankies DinoRex!

• Advertisement

The xbox handled the busy streets WAY better than the Dreamcast version.

People would appear and disappear in front of your eyes in the DC version.

Dreamcast is probably my favourite console of all time, but the xbox version of Shenmue is better... and Skies of Arcadia is way better on the Gamecube... (the Sonic Adventure games too!)

Oh and I think Sparks is the Bubble Bobble expert. We complete it at Retr0's one evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement