Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Saw this, shat bricks, almost bought -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190673377819&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Then read this.

This is a DE LUXE imported repro of the legendary sega 32x videogame DARXIDE

He's even completely reproduced the booklet (the usual telling sign of a reproduction as they wouldn't bother with this)

What a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Like its a very well done job but jesus christ like its just ****ing stupid and amazes me that people are still doing this!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Saw this, shat bricks, almost bought -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190673377819&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Then read this.

This is a DE LUXE imported repro of the legendary sega 32x videogame DARXIDE

He's even completely reproduced the booklet (the usual telling sign of a reproduction as they wouldn't bother with this)

What a ****.

Don't know much about that game or repro's in general but how is it region free and what's inside the cart? A pcb from another 32X game with the roms swapped or something?

For all his attention to detail he could at least spell deluxe as one word ffs. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Like its a very well done job but jesus christ like its just ****ing stupid and amazes me that people are still doing this!

As far as workmanship goes, it looks nice.

As an object in itself, it is completely and utterly pointless. Want to play the game on original hardware? Buy a flash cart.

Want the original game? Save up and buy it.

What purpose this serves I don't know? :confused:
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Don't know much about that game or repro's in general but how is it region free and what's inside the cart? A pcb from another 32X game with the roms swapped or something?

For all his attention to detail he could at least spell deluxe as one word ffs. :pac:

Inside the cart would be a donor board from another 32X game he killed with some burned eeproms and an ugly mess of wires!

As an object in itself, it is completely and utterly pointless. Want to play the game on original hardware? Buy a flash cart.

Is there any obvious way to tell it's a repro compared to the original? Other than the original is hard to come by complete and in that good a condition? It only seems an attractive purchase for a someone else to try and sell on as an original and scam someone less knowledgeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

MqWO9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I wish I could do that. You just dont get a long enough burn lighting farts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Inside the cart would be a donor board from another 32X game he killed with some burned eeproms and an ugly mess of wires!

Is there really no way of sourcing a few carts made from the original moulds? I find that a little surprising.

The only reason I never opened up a cart to take a calipers to it and make a 3d printable cad file was I figured a job lot of empty pristine carts turns up on eBay or whereever so no DIYer would care.

Wonder how much it'd cost to get an original but compatible cart design made and sent from a Shapeways store (though I never thought to search for existing ones there either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

a5y wrote: »
    Is there really no way of sourcing a few carts made from the original moulds? I find that a little surprising.

Why? Even if there were, surely it's cheaper to get a €10 copy of Doom, rrip out the roms & make the bootleg.

You have to remember, these people do this for money. Every penny spent is a penny less profit. Collectability wise, a Repro has a value of <=0.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is there any obvious way to tell it's a repro compared to the original? Other than the original is hard to come by complete and in that good a condition? It only seems an attractive purchase for a someone else to try and sell on as an original and scam someone less knowledgeable.

Decent repro makers will create games which don't exist. So say an NSTC Genesis Wily Wars, a PAL Eliminate Down.. that I don't so much mind and I don't think is really that dishonest.

The scam artist thing on the other hand of exact replicas is exactly what I worry about. The better they get, the more paranoid you have to be about buying expensive originals. It may even get so bad that one day you have to crack your carts open to check for eeproms. Something you have to do with MVS carts for example, and it's an absolute pain!
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Why? Even if there were, surely it's cheaper to get a €10 copy of Doom, rrip out the roms & make the bootleg.

You have to remember, these people do this for money. Every penny spent is a penny less profit. Collectability wise, a Repro has a value of <=0.

Spot on. Sure why bother sourcing original (expensive) moulds when there are plenty of cheap, crap games out there waiting to be torn apart and used.

If there's ever a shortage of Stunt Race FX carts in the world, it's because people are tearing them apart and using them as a base to make Starfox 2 bootlegs.

• Advertisement

This guy did a Kickstarter to bring Star Castle to the 2600.

The cart is pretty damn sweet.

Decent repro makers will create games which don't exist. So say an NSTC Genesis Wily Wars, a PAL Eliminate Down.. that I don't so much mind and I don't think is really that dishonest.

That's a very valid exception, & one I see no problem with at all. The game doesn't profess to be anything other than what it is, which is a user-made creation, & people don't get screwed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

The scam artist thing on the other hand of exact replicas is exactly what I worry about. The better they get, the more paranoid you have to be about buying expensive originals. It may even get so bad that one day you have to crack your carts open to check for eeproms. Something you have to do with MVS carts for example, and it's an absolute pain!

I'd almost forgotten about that site full of photos of circuitboards and photos of labels. I don't think I'd ever be able to collect those. Wondering if I'm buying an expensive fake would ruin knowing I've a game on its way to me in the mail. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

DinoRex wrote: »
    This guy did a Kickstarter to bring Star Castle to the 2600.

The cart is pretty damn sweet.

The music is pretty damn sweet aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

So all going well in the morning with my A+ Exams i pass.More chance to fail though :(

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've an exam on Saturday morning! Can I get a good luck as well?

Yep, good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sparks43 wrote: »
    So all going well in the morning with my A+ Exams i pass.More chance to fail though frown.gif
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I've an exam on Saturday morning! Can I get a good luck as well?
    bar-exam-lolcats-facebook-abovethelaw-above-the-law-blog.jpg?w=480
    I'd to do my LC English on a Saturday, know the feel bro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let's see if the fortune cookie wishes you good luck...

fortune-cookie.jpg

Sorry, wrong cookie!

da80a97a2c15684485ed3edd68836620.jpg

Huzzah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Let's see if the fortune cookie wishes you good luck...
    "geese can be troublesome"
    Sorry, wrong cookie!
    "the price of stamps will climb ever higher"
    FYP

I did not realise that Starfox 64 had an unlockable on foot mode.

It looks a bit naff though.

So all going well in the morning with my A+ Exams i pass.More chance to fail though :(

You should pass, A+ is easy. Creating & account on boards & actively posting is more complicated than the A+ curriculum :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So my car failed nct. Nothing major, just a few bulbs! And a tie rod in the suspension which a new one was supplied with the car.

So my car failed nct. Nothing major, just a few bulbs! And a tie rod in the suspension which a new one was supplied with the car.

Paypal dispute tbh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Paypal dispute tbh

No, I didn't install the new tie rod :P

You should pass, A+ is easy. Creating & account on boards & actively posting is more complicated than the A+ curriculum :p

You have got to be joking me.

That was bloody tough but thank Rockford i Passed:D

Total score 770 so a very comfortable pass

<Insert Shoop Shoop Celebrations here>

mortar-board.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well done dude, I'm sick of exams myself so have decided to take a break from them for at least a year. My last tech exam was last year and it's been nice not having to prep for anything for the last 6 months or so :)

You moving on to the N+ now sparks?

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well done dude, I'm sick of exams myself so have decided to take a break from them for at least a year. My last tech exam was last year and it's been nice not having to prep for anything for the last 6 months or so :)

You moving on to the N+ now sparks?

Cheers m8

I am probably going to do the CCNA if i dont get a job before August.

Even if i get a job im still going for more Qualis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement