Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Oh we already covered Bolder Dash in it's entirety on this one...

Damn, Retr0, I told you there was someone else we need to bring in on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

DinoRex wrote: »
    Oh we already covered Bolder Dash in it's entirety on this one...

Damn, Retr0, I told you there was someone else we need to bring in on that.

Scrap it and start again then

Puss-In-Boots-Shrek-497126.jpeg

Ah... was just joking... we have covered another series of games.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Ah... was just joking... we have covered another series of games.

Looking forward to hearing it

Although i had ordered a gun and some dynamite just in case:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shadow Tower Abyss has been fan translated. It's a From Software horror dungeon crawler for the PS2. Supposed to be rather good and very like the Kings Field series:

http://hg101.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=games&action=display&thread=8779

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing it

Although i had ordered a gun and some dynamite just in case:D

You ever get sorted for the xbox emulators you were looking for sparks?

Steve SI wrote: »
    You ever get sorted for the xbox emulators you were looking for sparks?

Found a good few of them but i will be looking for others in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Found a good few of them but i will be looking for others in the future

I think I have them all on a server somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Jack burton

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Six months, numerous emails and one mysteriously lost package later, my 3DS finally arrived this morning :)

Now the big question: Kart or Land?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Six months, numerous emails and one mysteriously lost package later, my 3DS finally arrived this morning :)

Now the big question: Kart or Land?

Yay! Finally!

By FAR - Land. Finished it there last week. Most enjoyable Mario experience I've had in quote a while. You'll love it.

The game is in two parts. The first part is New Super Mario Bros easy, the second part is harder.

I'm thinking of getting rid of Mario Kart 7. Every time a new Mario Kart game comes out I buy it thinking 'maybe this time I'll get what everyone is on about' - but I never do.

It sure is a looker, and it does play nice. But after about 10 minutes I'm bored of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Land is fantastic from what I've played of it so far, but MK7 is my favourite Mario Kart game since the GBA one. Can't go wrong with either really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, I can see myself getting more content out of Mario Kart for some reason, especially if it's better than the DS one which IMO was fantastic.

I'll order one tonight anyhow - will naturally end up with both sooner rather than later, but just one for the moment. Will download that Wayforward title to keep me Oogling the screen in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

One for Pyongyang

Hmm, he doesn't sniff his games. ;)

That said, he is spot on about Lords Of Thunder. If I won the lotto I'd hook my PC Engine Duo-R up to this and crank the volume up to MAXIMUM.

was3000-2small.jpg

Essentially this is the world's loudest speaker. Cranks out a bowel-shattering 165 decibels of pure AWESOME.

Put in to context:

125 decibels is the human pain threshold of noise
    130 decibels is the equivalent of standing next to a jet engine without wearing ear protectors.
    150 decibels will vibrate the walls of your chest and is equivalent to a space shuttle taking off.

165 decibels (this speaker) will literally melt the wax in your ears.

Now put it in this context on the db scale:
    - at 135 dB you experience a slight cooling sensation from the air

- at 140 dB your throat and vocal chords start to vibrate

- at 142 dB your chest starts to pound intensely

- at 148 dB the vibration because uncomfortable and even painful

- at 150 dB you experience the overwhelming sensation of being compressed as if underwater

- at 155 dB the compression and expansion from vibration is felt to the "core"

- at 158 dB the vibration is violent, and nausea becomes intense

- at 190 dB eardrums rupture 50% of the time

- at 198 dB human death from sound (shock wave) alone

So in essence, Lords of Thunder, to be experienced at it's very best, requires the player to have a sound system of 197.9 decibels.

165db will do though, such is the sheer brilliance of that game and that soundtrack.

The scene after Lords Of Thunder shows him repairing his Mega Drive. I assume it was a Mega Drive that fell off the top of his TV. If he's suggesting otherwise then it's kinda incorrect as Lords of Thunder only ever appeared on the PC Engine Super CD and Mega CD (I stand corrected, I was thinking of Gate Of Thunder). However the Mega CD soundtrack was inferior to the PC Engine version so if he had any sort of degree of taste, he'd have been playing the superior version.

He's also playing Blazing Star at the beginning that caused the finger injury. He could solve this with a JAMMA auto-fire PCB, but I'm glad he's keeping it as God intended.

He doesn't mention or have any Darius games in his collection. This is very disappointing.

A fine video Jacqueline Burtoli. Made me laugh! :)

edit: This is worth a read. A comparison of the PC Engine and Sega Mega CD versions of Lords Of Thunder.

http://pcenginefx.com/main/pcenginefx_com_-_feature_-_lor1.html

Oh! I'm liking the look of this:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I read about that game 2, maybe 3 years ago in Games TM. At least it looks like it will ome out now.

On valentines day too!

Mass Effect 3 demo is out the same day too... how romantic!

Sorry Sera but dinner is cancelled due to .... eh... important family business.

Edge says Dear Esther is two better than Gunstar Heroes!

Edge says Dear Esther is two better than Gunstar Heroes!

So as good as Symphony of the Night! Great!

Actually was looking up old Edge reviews there to see if there was any crazy reviews I could relate it too and the Symphony of the Night review is just good awful. They criticised the 2D graphics and most surprisingly the music(???). I'd expect that from OPM not Edge.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Symphony of the Night would be a great game if it wasn't in 2D.

Oh god, no, I can't even say that in a joke! Feckin muppets.

Master of the Universe

Just in case anyone doesn't know, there are a couple of free demos to play now on the 3DS store.

Resident Evil Revelations and Cooking Mama 4.

I wonder how Relevations handles seeing as it's coming with that dual stick monstrosity? Must be able to play it with one thumb slider too.

The website still needs a bit of work but here's the first podcast we recorded:

star_fox_TRACKER.jpg

http://arcadeandretro.com/?p=6

Whoever the person is called Kim Jong, that isn't me. Anyway, great podcast. I'd be keen to come along and bore you all to death about Winds/Lords of Thunder and how epic it is. Oh and scanlines and stuff. :)

Any constructive criticism is welcome, was very nervous doing it and there's a lot I wanted to say and forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah listening to it now. The pair of ye have good radio voices. Not irritating or anything.

If yer going to do a bogger version I'm sure I can help ye out. Sera can do a limerick Citay one too!

The pair of ye have good radio voices. Not irritating or anything.

It's like listening to this fella. :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Any constructive criticism is welcome, was very nervous doing it and there's a lot I wanted to say and forgot.

Which one are you. Wogan or the bloke talking about polygons and RISC chips? :p

The boring one talking about RISC chips and slagging Goldeneye. :P

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The boring one talking about RISC chips and slagging Goldeneye. :P

Ah OK. I'm listening intently to catch whose armpit has tentacles wriggling under it. :D

Spot on show though. Next week, Dick Tracy on the C64. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement