Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There are two main angry online types -

Those who spout vitriol and are detacted from it - with hilarious results. They're angry but without letting emotion cloud their writing. If you say something to them, it's water off a ducks back, but with a nuclear holocaust of a retort. I love reading stuff like that.

Then there's the car crash type. Those who are genuinely angry. When they start getting wound up and you hit a nerve you can see that it really bothers them. Their retorts are messy and defensive. They're great fun to wind up :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    He on the other hand, doesn't have that amusement factor that Nylarlo gives...horadiation genuinely seems to be a reallife Victor Meldrew

I thought it was me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought it was me :(

Your a boards VM, in real life, only Sera knows :p

Edit - I reckon your safe. Anyone humorous enough to wear school girl uniforms cannot possibly be compared to Sir Meldrew

Master of the Universe

I spend a fortune buying fancy tickets to Download in June JUST TO SEE see Black Sabbath live, and now Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with lymphatic cancer?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it sucks. Hope he pulls through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

o1s1n wrote: »
    I spend a fortune buying fancy tickets to Download in June JUST TO SEE see Black Sabbath live, and now Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with lymphatic cancer?!

Poor Tommy hope he recovers.
    Download is that in Castle Donington, great spot for an outdoor event.

Master of the Universe

Ah it's caught early, so he'll be grand. It's just whether he is in time for the concert or not!

Myself and the girlfriend really wanted to go as we're massive Black Sabbath fans, but aren't willing to sleep in a tent for days...or put up with the usual festival ****e from arseholes.

So we thought we'd do it in style, and rented out these little house things in a 'pod village' on site. They're in a VIP area and have electricty and everything.

When I was buying the tickets I knew something like this would happen. I'm cursed with expensive purchases!
    pdbhp wrote: »
    Poor Tommy hope he recovers.
    Download is that in Castle Donington, great spot for an outdoor event.

That's the one!

Master of the Universe

Oh and on a more upbeat note, I saved those two Halo displays from the garbage before leaving work. Dumped them over in front of my desk.

Getting them home shall be interesting :pac:

So we thought we'd do it in style, and rented out these little house things in a 'pod village' on site. They're in a VIP area and have electricty and everything.

When I was buying the tickets I knew something like this would happen. I'm cursed with expensive purchases!

You know its rough when only the VIP's get electricity :p
    Oh and on a more upbeat note, I saved those two Halo displays from the garbage before leaving work. Dumped them over in front of my desk.

Good man, I hate seeing stuff like that getting binned.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Good man, I hate seeing stuff like that getting binned.

Indeed, I'm totally the same way myself. Unfortunately people in that kind of enviornment don't value things like that at all. I hate to think what they've thrown out in the past. Probably crap loads of promo (possibly even proto/beta) stuff. Tis such a shame.

A good few of the meeting rooms have discs of old xbox games on the wall, kind of something similar to golden vinyl discs you see in record studios.

There's not much attention paid to quality though. I've seen a Perfect Dark one, but still haven't come across Steal Batallion or Panzer Dragoon Orta!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I just watched The Seventh Seal on Netflix.

I've not used Netflix before today but isnt there supposed to be some sort of queue you can add movies and shows to that you can watch later?

Anyone here use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

He on the other hand, doesn't have that amusement factor that Nylarlo gives...horadiation genuinely seems to be a reallife Victor Meldrew

I didn't realise my presence was causing such consternation among you and your knitting circle, I'll be sure to be mindful of those delicate sensibilities in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Steve SI wrote: »

I've not used Netflix before today but isnt there supposed to be some sort of queue you can add movies and shows to that you can watch later?

Anyone here use it?

Not sure if the queue feature is properly live here yet

I didn't realise my presence was causing such consternation among you and your knitting circle, I'll be sure to be mindful of those delicate sensibilities in the future.

Mr Meldrew HOW are you? May I welcome you to these parts, I'm sure you'll bring much joy & positivity to the group :)

Master of the Universe

And the Kraken wakes! Welcome :) Maybe we can knit you a hipster jumper.

tumblr_llt6qwx5Ev1qgdkheo1_500.jpg

Not sure if the queue feature is properly live here yet

Ahh, ok. I suppose its only been running here for a day or so. They haven't got all the movies here yet either, probable licensing problems or delays.
    Apparently they are supposed to have 75,000 movies on the US Netflix service. Not sure how true that is though, seems like a lot :rolleyes:

Steve SI wrote: »

Anyone here use it?

I installed it on the 360 today, seems to work very well. I havn't delved deep into queue settings yet, but the months free trial is a no brainer

I installed it on the 360 today, seems to work very well. I havn't delved deep into queue settings yet, but the months free trial is a no brainer

Yeah, the monthly fee after that seems ok as well(6.99 euro).

Its really handy the way you can be watching a movie or show on the iPad or iPhone and when you get home you can just continue from where you left off automagically.

Quality is good on the iPad so far by the way, even over 3G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I signed up today for Netflix. Looks alright but HD doesn't seem to be working for me for some reason. My broadband speed is plenty fast enough so not sure what the issue is.

Doesn't seem to be that big a selection of films right now though is there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The PS3 HD stuff looks amazing - big step up for streaming round these parts.

I think the selection is a solid start - haphazard but enough curiosities to keep going for a few months. Hopefully the selection will keep expanding, because it's half a gamechanger as is.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I signed up today for Netflix. Looks alright but HD doesn't seem to be working for me for some reason. My broadband speed is plenty fast enough so not sure what the issue is.

Doesn't seem to be that big a selection of films right now though is there?

HD is working for me most of the time. Seems to be a few teething issues with it running the HD stuff on web browsers. Seems to work better in Chrome than Firefox at the moment. It'll start in SD and then switch to HD if you've set the option to allow it on your account.

Either way its really cool to have it in Ireland at last and hopefully we will see much more content over the next while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll await Netflix on my 3DS with interest.
    3D movies, on the go...
    Much falling down manholes, walking into lamp posts and getting smacked by unseen planks shall ensue...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the 360 app and discovered the anime section! Huzzah!

Basic selection but no excuse for y'all now not to watch the gem that is Summer Wars!

Oh wait. It's dubbed. Okay there is an excuse :/

On a different note, 3D printer + sugru = handy way to mold parts.

Really cant wait to get my printer and try a few things.
    sugru is great on its own for repairing or modding things(fixing old retro parts) but if you stick it in a mold you can make some really precise parts.

http://sugru.com/gurus/categories/sugru-hacks/topics/repaired-audio-plug-on-earbuds

1721.JPG

1722.jpg

If you don't have some sugru then get some, its really cool stuff.
    There is a shop on Georges St that sells it if you dont want to order online.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tbh I cant really fault it for a launch service especially since its the really 1st of its kind here. Plenty for me to watch new and nostalgia and a more then fair price. Hell the price is worth it for the old cartoons and tv series!
    Although Id forgotten that Sonic Underground cartoon existed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

will netflix work on a softmodded wii?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Cheekily using a VPN I can access the complete US netflix selection using my Irish account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I once got my then girlfriends to carry home a Giant Eddie murphy display head, must have been about 7ft tall.

I hung it on me wall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I once got my then girlfriend to carry home a Giant Eddie murphy display head, must have been about 7ft tall.

I hung it on me wall!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement