Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Consolevania have a podcast??

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Consolevania have a podcast??

Think it's just all the old shows. But it's a handy way to download them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah ok, I had some false hope there that rab and ryan were back again :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Two big Halo cut outs being thrown out here. Look like store displays. To save or not to save?

I'd look like a bit of a pleb walking across the office with them under my arm and I don't exactly like Halo - but I hate seeing game related stuff thrown out!

I know someone with a birthday coming up who'd find a home for them!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I can't help but think of the episode of Family Guy where Peter brings the Kathy Ireland cut out home and starts having an affair with it.

180px-2009-10-05_163148kathy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

They'd be perfect for a 50th actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Use them to line the floor of the pantry. Good thinking Mr. Arnold Jim Halen!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Another reason to keep old Floppy drives..to play teh tUnEzz on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sounds cool, have you upload any to youtube for us to have a look at?

I have indeed.
    Remember, these are just for a laugh and a nice excuse to brush up on my rusty skills, so don't judge to harshly :o

After a few to many beer with my brother over the xmas we started talking about Doctor Who in a battle against the Predator/s. So that conversation inspired me to do the below.

As always, best viewed in 1080p.

Doctor Who vs Predator:

Doctor Who vs Predator(second attempt and a bit better I think):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My kind of game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You should watch Love Exposure if you ever have four hours to spare. Brilliantly mental film about a guy who takes up upskirt photography to piss off his religious father. Amongst other things.

I just finished my first Murakami book the other day, a collection of short stories called After the Quake. Johnny_ultimate would be proud.

However there's a lot of similarities to Murakamis writing and the Mother games. In a lot of Murakamis stories absolutely nothing happens but it's all about the emotions you feel. It's the same thing with the mother games. The just seem like quirky RPGs but by the end of them it's all about the emotional pay-off. I get the feeling Shigesato Itoi is a big Murakami fan, which would make sense considering he's a writer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I get the feeling Shigesato Itoi is a big Murakami fan
    Yoshítoshi ABe was supposed to be influenced by Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World when making Haibane Renmei :P

Thinking about it, saying Murakami might have influenced a japanese writer is like saying miyamoto might have inflenced a videogame designer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The best thing about Murakami books - the more fantastical ones, anyway - is that they can have profound emotional payoffs that you might not even understand :P Stuff like Hardboiled and Kafka.. have surreal, obtuse central stories but they resonate at a much deeper level than a more in-your-face emotional payoff.

I like his short stories from what I've read (After the Quake and one of the other ones), but I'm more of a novel man - that's where his real genius lies.

Always enjoyed this short piece though: http://www.mat.upm.es/~jcm/murakami-perfect.html Think it might be included in After the Quake amongst the stories about superfrogs? Could be the other collection though...

The best thing about Murakami books - the more fantastical ones, anyway - is that they can have profound emotional payoffs that you might not even understand :P Stuff like Hardboiled and Kafka.. have surreal, obtuse central stories but they resonate at a much deeper level than a more in-your-face emotional payoff.

I noticed that as well especially in the super frog saves tokyo story. Earthbound is very like this as well. It's actually a bit of a weakness of mother 3 that a lot of there's a lot of emotional in your face scenes in it, although it's also got its much deeper emotional themes as well. It's not as brave as Earthbound which is a really surrealist piece with a lot of emotional depth that I'd say flew over a lot of peoples heads. It's not apparent unless you beat the game, which I thought was brave for a 60 hour RPG. I felt the same way when I read the first story from After the Quake, I was wondering what it was all about since nothing happened until I realised it put me in a weird emotional state and had a think about it. You can tell the people that have beaten earthbound and the ones that haven't because the ones that haven't will only mention how it's great because it's quirky and has an amusing take on american culture.

It's interesting though to see the difference in japanese writing and western writing, although outside of science fiction everytime I get recommended a book it ends up being populist thrash. I should really seek out some really good western writers to compare it to.

Anyway I've Kafka on the Shore for after I finish Ciderdudes books.

Always enjoyed this short piece though: http://www.mat.upm.es/~jcm/murakami-perfect.html Think it might be included in After the Quake amongst the stories about superfrogs? Could be the other collection though...

It's not in After the Quake, will give it a read later, have drama rehearsals in a minute.

I'd recommend some of the stuff by David Mitchell as a good comparison point. His early stuff - especially Number9Dream - is basically doing a really bad Murakami impression. Pretty sure he's admitted as much! But he really blossomed later on, and Cloud Atlas is a masterful work with five or six very different stories that work with each other in surprising ways. But he really hit a new level with The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, about a Dutch clerk living in 18th century Nagasaki. It sounds tough going, and I'm no fan of historical fiction, but it's a beautiful, surprising and very contemporary work.

• Advertisement

Thanks, i'll try and keep it in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If hooradiation were here now, he'd be throwing the term '****ing weeaboo bull****' around to beat the band :pac:

If hooradiation were here now, he'd be throwing the term '****ing weeaboo bull****' around to beat the band :pac:

An unusually bitter and aggressive fellow.

Only for I forgot the term, I'd be throwing it about myself :p

Bloody weeaboo-hipsters, even worse than normal hipsters. Where's Nyarlo when you need him! This place needs some beer & pool tables :D

:D

EnterNow wrote: »
    Where's Nyarlo when you need him!

He's been over in films recently. Always fun to watch the confusion his posts cause amongst the unsuspecting posters, followed by bursts of frustration as logic takes a much needed vacation.

He's been over in films recently. Always fun to watch the confusion his posts cause amongst the unsuspecting posters, followed by bursts of frustration as logic takes a much needed vacation.

In fairness, we fell victim to it here too :D He's actually a clever chap, when he's not talking about Doom that is

Depending on my mood, I either find it funny or annoying.

I did chuckle when he made the ludicrous generalisation there is no great film that isn't sci-fi.

I did rip my hair out when he disrupted yet another thread with his bizarre claims that Your Highness is the cinematic masterpiece of the year.

Depending on my mood, I either find it funny or annoying.

I did chuckle when he claimed every single one of the great films are sci-fi.

I did rip my hair out when he disrupted yet another thread with his bizarre claims that Your Highness is the cinematic masterpiece of the year.

I reckon he gets a chuckle out of it himself. Nobody with any modicum of sense could be that pig-headed! He winds hipsters up, & for that, I salute him!

• Advertisement

He on the other hand, doesn't have that amusement factor that Nylarlo gives...horadiation genuinely seems to be a reallife Victor Meldrew

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement