Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

where did you try it?

The Tsutaya store in Shibuya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

ah right, thats a bit out of my way then :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't why some fans think that Sonic CD is the best sonic ever but I have to say that the XBLA rerelease is very impressive. It's rebuilt from the grond up rather than emulated so it's not horribly stretched or boredered yet still remains very faithful. It's only 400 points so hardly a rip off. Well worth giving it another shot at that price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »
    iMAME is out in the apple app store for iPhone and iPad.
    It only has a few crappy games included but grab it quick before it gets pulled as there is a way to load more roms onto it even on non jailbroken devices.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/21/get-it-before-its-gone-imame-hits-the-app-store/

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=485639079&mt=8

I can't find it in search results on the App Store. Guess it's been pulled already. :(

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I can't find it in search results on the App Store. Guess it's been pulled already. :(

Nope, still there. Just click on the app store link above, but be quick

It's not showing up in search results for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yeah, I kept getting the 'I'm a Megan Fox Fan' app.

But I got it in the end via the link.

Phew! Yep, got it now. Even though I don't 'do' MAME, just worth a look to see I guess. :)

Phew! Yep, got it now. Even though I don't 'do' MAME, just worth a look to see I guess. :)

It's a pity you dont "do" MAME.
    It's not just for playing games you know, in fact thats not its only purpose at all. It's great to be able to see the history of games, the artwork, the pcb's, the cabs, the flyers, marquess etc. I use it as a research tool a lot of the times.
    The fact that it plays the games as well is just a bonus, a really big bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I picked up a great MAME pack there recently and it came with all the marquees, bezels and other artwork bits and pieces.

Theyre a nice way of filling the black boarders either side of the screen in vertical games.

I've nothing against MAME at all, I just figure if I used it I'd end up with about 9 trillion games and never devote any time to them.

If I stick to buying original games I've invested money in to them, so I'm inclined to play them more. That's all. If anything I think MAME is a fantastic preservation project. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

But you're already buying 9 trillion games a month as is :p

Just to confirm that the side loading trick works on a jailbroken iPad 2 for iMAME.
    I used iExplorer to put some roms on it and they all run full speed.

Anyone able to order items from cave-shop.jp? I wanted to order a few bits from the sale. I've created an account and have an Irish address listed (with a Tokyo Zip Code) but not sure if paying for the goods will mean they get shipped as there is no international shipping option of course.

I sent an email to Cave for each item I wanted but am thinking they may sell out before Cave reply to me.

Has anyone got items from them before? Or has a .jp address I could use? :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't why some fans think that Sonic CD is the best sonic ever but I have to say that the XBLA rerelease is very impressive. It's rebuilt from the grond up rather than emulated so it's not horribly stretched or boredered yet still remains very faithful. It's only 400 points so hardly a rip off. Well worth giving it another shot at that price point.

Yep. The new graphics look great:

84VCs.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yep. The new graphics look great:

84VCs.gif
    th_sonic.gif?t=1323727492th_vdKHG.gif?t=1323727505th_tumblr_lvzc2h39G01qfdtqno1_1280.gif?t=1323727458

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭geotrig

Anyone able to order items from cave-shop.jp? I wanted to order a few bits from the sale. I've created an account and have an Irish address listed (with a Tokyo Zip Code) but not sure if paying for the goods will mean they get shipped as there is no international shipping option of course.

I sent an email to Cave for each item I wanted but am thinking they may sell out before Cave reply to me.

Has anyone got items from them before? Or has a .jp address I could use? :)
    No i dont think they sell the newer stuff overseas,presumeing you are looking at stuff from their matsuri , they have a very limited international shop which tehy might get added to ..you could try using smj celga etc to buy the stuff!

Yup, not keen on 'middlers'. Ah well, I've asked Cave directly so we'll see.

Indeed I had my eye on a few things there. Shame they won't put them on the international shop. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sera wrote: »
    th_sonic.gif?t=1323727492th_vdKHG.gif?t=1323727505th_tumblr_lvzc2h39G01qfdtqno1_1280.gif?t=1323727458

I love that website far to much

The new Kingdom Hearts game for the 3DS is looking impressive:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kingdom Hearts is the Twilight of videogames. They are great fun but my god, the series has by far and away the worst story ever written that only stupid teens can love. I'll still buy it!

• Advertisement

Yeah. Can't say I've ever been terribly hooked by them despite my best efforts. Think I've only played about a 1/4 way through each of the PS2 ones.

Looks like there is a good deal of variety in the gameplay on this one though.

Sera wrote: »

Also:

U1UKd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

As usual, a messy post from me...

Can some of you guys recommend me some movies to watch?
    Watched 'The Wizard' a few nights back, purely for the Nintendo advert not the story, loved it!

I love the Powerglove... Its so bad... lol

Have watched Scott Pilgrim about a million times now so giving that a break for a few months.
    Any other movies with Ninty Sega etc or 80'/90's retro games filling up the story at all?

King of Kong if you've not seen it already.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

chasing ghosts too, prob watch this before king of kong as its the same lads in it, though king of kong is better i think. High score is another one. not as good but if you are stuck for something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

I must play through vice city again, buit the question is, which version is best? have it for ps2 xbox and pc but i prefer a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    King of Kong if you've not seen it already.
    keithgeo wrote: »
    chasing ghosts too, prob watch this before king of kong as its the same lads in it, though king of kong is better i think. High score is another one. not as good but if you are stuck for something..

Thanks guys! Will check those 3 out tonight!! :D

weeder wrote: »
    I must play through vice city again, buit the question is, which version is best? have it for ps2 xbox and pc but i prefer a console.

I believe the Xbox version might be best. GTA 3 was better on Xbox. PC has better resolution and framerate but was based on the PS2 version. Xbox has some extra texture work and slightly better car and NPC models.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You could just watch Drive either.

Pretty much does the same thing and it's shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You could just watch Drive either.

Pretty much does the same thing and it's shorter.

Not a bad film that. Not a patch on The Driver with Ryan O'Neal though, if you like your driving. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement