Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most pathetic DLC

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find map packs fracture the community between the haves and have nots. Also if you do get the map packs for some games you hardly ever get to play the other maps. I remember comign back to Halo 3 after a good bit away and found I was locked out of some of my favourite game modes for not owning map packs.Now I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure most of those game modes were available to me before the map packs release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

After completiting Tomb Raider Underworld I later purchased the additional dlc packs, Beneath the Ashes & Lara's Shadow. While they were both fun levels to play and long enough to boot, when I look back it really feels like that game and those levels should all have been 1 unit.

However other stuff like the Da Vinci Disappearance from AC: BroHo I felt was worth it considering it took place outside of the main story and also included a fair bit of material for the multiplayer. To add to this Ubisoft did release free additional maps in the lead up to this as well if I remeber correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

After completiting Tomb Raider Underworld I later purchased the additional dlc packs, Beneath the Ashes & Lara's Shadow. While they were both fun levels to play and long enough to boot, when I look back it really feels like that game and those levels should all have been 1 unit.

Those levels were pulled from the main game close to the games completion to be sold as DLC. They were meant to be in the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Those levels were pulled from the main game close to the games completion to be sold as DLC. They were meant to be in the full game.

This practice gives dlc a bad name.
    I guess I'll make a protest and not buy the new Tomb Raider reboot... who am I kidding...:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The Fallout DLC excluding Anchorage and Zeta were pretty good. Point Lookout in particular was brilliant.
    hey! I Liked Zeta!

I'm coming from the PC side of things , If I'm paying money for something that adds a decent amount of content to a game thats complete I'm ok with it.
    We called that an expansion.
    If its adding content that should have been there already , we called that a patch , and it should be free.
    If its giving your character blue hair , or armour and machine guns for your horse ,its a fan addon , and I'll be f£$ked if I'm paying money for it ;).
    Anyway worst dlc? that strip bar base of operations one for the useless game saboteur a while back.Which was apparently on the bloody disk anyway .(Dlc which was designed to charge people buying it 2nd hand).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dlc which was designed to charge people buying it 2nd hand).

On that topic, what ye think about charging people to play MP when they buy a 2nd hand game?

If there is a game I really want to play online and I see you need a 1 time code to access online then I will buy it new. If i'm 50/50 on getting the game and don't want to spend full price, this code will completely put me off getting it at all. So I guess it's doing that the big wigs want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

This is a poignant and amusing video discussing dlc and microtransactions:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3689-Microtransactions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

sheehy83 wrote: »
    On that topic, what ye think about charging people to play MP when they buy a 2nd hand game?

I don't mind this at all. I think developers have a right to claw back something from second hand sales. Gamestop ect are giving more shelf space to second hand games these days than new ones, it's becoming a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

EGriff wrote: »
    I don't mind this at all. I think developers have a right to claw back something from second hand sales. Gamestop ect are giving more shelf space to second hand games these days than new ones, it's becoming a bit of a joke.

I'd agree totally, I saw the profit Gamestop posted for used sales alone last year. 3 Billion! There's more than enough of that cake to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I got Fight Night Champion when i came out earlier this year and it was ludicrous for release day DLC. Basically you could pay to unlock boxers that you unlock by playing the game upfront. Anyone who did this was missing a few upstairs if you ask me.

But the straw that broke it for me and ending up ruining the online was the fact that they were selling XP packs so that you could level up your boxer without having to earn it through online fights. This leads to a wimpy underpowered boxer coming up against a powerhouse and not standing a chance of winning. Unforgivable and broke the XP system in what could have been a great online experience.

EA are notorious for this but in their defence I did buy the Dead Space 2 DLC when it came out cause it was once again a short story outside of the full game, was presented at a fair price point (560pts) and genuinely had some better moments than the full game with a very memorable finale.

So there is good DLC and bad out there unfortunately. As long as I'm not being duped and sold a 3 legged horse instead of a throughbred I can decide whats for me and whats not happily enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

djkeogh wrote: »
    As long as I'm not being duped and sold a 3 legged horse instead of a throughbred..

And the best part is you can buy armour for your horse!

sheehy83 wrote: »

If there is a game I really want to play online and I see you need a 1 time code to access online then I will buy it new. If i'm 50/50 on getting the game and don't want to spend full price, this code will completely put me off getting it at all. So I guess it's doing that the big wigs want.

I think this practice is ridiculous. Yes it costs money to keep servers running for multiplayer games but there's a solution: dedicated servers. I really doubt it costs that much to run servers for stats anyway considering Atlus, a relatively small publisher, has servers running for Demon's Souls free of charge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think this practice is ridiculous. Yes it costs money to keep servers running for multiplayer games but there's a solution: dedicated servers. I really doubt it costs that much to run servers for stats anyway considering Atlus, a relatively small publisher, has servers running for Demon's Souls free of charge.

It's not to cut down on server costs though. It's to curb second hand sales, and get the publisher some income from 2nd hand purchasers.

Given that it is rarely worth buying a newish game preowned anymore given the ludicrous price places like gamestop charge (I've seen many games more expensive used there than they are new elsewhere or even in the same shop) I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

EGriff wrote: »
    Gamestop ect are giving more shelf space to second hand games these days than new ones, it's becoming a bit of a joke.

I've posted about it in more detail before, but in short, the secondhand market is what keeps game stores in business. That's why they have not been pursued more aggressively by the folks who actually make games, without that sub-industry they won't have the shops to carry their new titles.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Worst DLC? DLC that's ALREADY on the disc. I'm looking at you, 2K and Bioshock 2. It's so offensive.

Yup, Assh*les Creed 2 with taking out a few chapters "because they've already given you more than your money's worth" and re-sell it to you.

Paying for alternate costumes for Street Fighter 4. How cheap are Capcom?? (*sees multiple editions of the same game* oh yeah :o)

I've gotten wise to this DLC game so I end up just buying games a year late - whenever the "super" edition comes out that includes DLC (eg Resi 5, Mass Effect 2 etc).

Given that it is rarely worth buying a newish game preowned anymore given the ludicrous price places like gamestop charge (I've seen many games more expensive used there than they are new elsewhere or even in the same shop) I'm all for it.

Every other industry though has second hand sales where none of the profit goes back to the manufacturer. They should deal with it and have a business model around it.

Anyway I also don't see the point in second hand sales when you can get the games new online for cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They should deal with it and have a business model around it.

I think this is their business model around it :P

Again, I fully understand that second hand games are in a roundabout way actually important to the games industry, but TBH this simple solution is a decent way around it IMO. Of course, it is a bit of a pisser if you're in a household with two gamers...

That said, without the second hand industry game collection would be nearly impossible, so there will always be a place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Helix wrote: »
    theres no value to any of it. everyone who has ever bought a costume for a video game character, for example, deserves to lose their thumbs so they can never play games again

Dramatic!

I actually love DLC as a concept. More of a game I enjoyed? Yes please! Prime examples of DLC done right include Lair of the Shadow Broker, the GTAIV episodes and Resident Evil 5's stuff.

Expecting us to pay for content on the disc is a farce though, you'd think developers would stop now that the internet collectively freaks out every time do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Helix wrote: »
    the people who DO buy it are absolute morons who are runing it for everyone else. if nobody bought it, it wouldnt exist and maybe devs would spend a bit more time looking for things to put into the games, rather than things to take out

Costume packs are non-essential, but are a way for a company to gain added revenue, thus ensuring they can continue making more good games that you like to play. This is the same with most DLC and nobody is a moron for purchasing it.

As long as DLC is non-essential, then I have no problem with it.

The extra characters in MvC3 were annoying though, because they're needed for tournaments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

One comes to mind resident evil 5 online , was already on the disk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

One comes to mind resident evil 5 online , was already on the disk

Sorry, I forgot about the Versus Mode. I was thinking of Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape. So, I suppose RE5's DLC represents both sides of the coin...

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

jaykhunter wrote:
    Paying for alternate costumes for Street Fighter 4. How cheap are Capcom?? (*sees multiple editions of the same game* oh yeah )

I agree on the costumes.

But there is nothing wrong with there method of updating the game. Its what the core fans have come to expect and want. Its how it use to be done in the arcades (before online updates).

There has been 2 revisions of SF4. The first revision had 10 new characters, 4new stages, new music, new online modes and all orginal 25 characters had balance changes.

The second revision was much less substainal and could be obtained as DLC (with the option of buying this updated version as a standalone). Again don't see a issue with this.

There is a 3rd revision coming later this year. But thats going be free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Mr. K wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot about the Versus Mode. I was thinking of Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape. So, I suppose RE5's DLC represents both sides of the coin...

Capcom are going down a slippery slide,between the locking on disk, charging for demos ,one save file and making all the lead men at the company pissing off alot of megaman fans and dmc fans alike

• Registered Users Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Oblivion Horse armour hands down, my god what a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Regarding the Resident Evil 5 Versus Mode DLC, did Capcom ever explicitly state it was on the disc already or was it another case of people herp derping over a 1.8MB download for the 360?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah the Versus mode was on the disc. It was never released on the PC version but there is an unoffical patch that unlocks it on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Azza wrote: »
    Yeah the Versus mode was on the disc. It was never released on the PC version but there is an unoffical patch that unlocks it on the PC.
    I saw a patch floating about alright but it was far from complete and only offered some basic functionality on top of the multiplayer that was already there.

I'm leaning towards another herp derp on this one, especially given the fact that the download would be have been more than enough space to cover the additional functionality since it was reusing existing assets already on-disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Exactly.. it mostly reuses the same art/sound etc assets..the size of compiled source code isn't very big ;)

Advertisement