Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most pathetic DLC

Options
  • 16-08-2011 11:34pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just saw this and thought: wow. They released horse armour. For six euro. And people will buy it.

Yes, yes I know nobody is forced to buy it etc. etc. but idiots who buy this crap just feed publishers' greed. I despair when I see stuff like this.

Pick your favorite (pathetic) DLC. What ballsy arse dressed up as something worth buying irks you most? Go on - make me get sick on myself. Again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Assassins Creed 2 chapters 12 & 13. Love this game so much and the DLC was okay but the cheek to leave story missions out of a game and then charge people to play them later? PATHETIC UBI!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the "time-saver" DLC is the most obnoxious - 'unlock' codes or whatever. How anyone can buy this without feeling shafted is a mystery. If it's launch day DLC, there's no reason why it shouldn't have been an option on the disc. Paying to unlock content you've already paid for? Oh dear.

Plus, there's this, but I like to think it's designed solely to trick idiots out of half a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

horse armour in Oblivion :rolleyes:

EDIT just notice your post was also about horse armour too :pac: tried the link but I could access the page ??

I'm assuming war hammer just copied oblivion as a quick way to rob a few quid from customers with more money than sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

eve online, 70 dolllar monocle !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

A lot of DLC these days just seems tacked on and pointless. I prefer the Fallout style DLC where you get a good chunk of extras that will give you a few hours entertainment.

Charging for skins or an extra gun is a bit much though. Stuff you'd normally would have had as unlockable content in games years ago is usually sold as DLC nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

The Sinclair Solutions Test Pack for Bioshock 2 was probably the most pathetic, just for the fact it was already stored on the retail disk. People had to pay 400 ms points just to unlock it. Very poor on 2K's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya but FO dlc was a bit doo doo. Now Borderlands DLC on the otherhand, fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    horse armour in Oblivion :rolleyes:

EDIT just notice your post was also about horse armour too :pac: tried the link but I could access the page ??

I'm assuming war hammer just copied oblivion as a quick way to rob a few quid from customers with more money than sense

It's an ultramarine skin for the space marines. Which is just a few character models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i have never bought DLC and i never will

ever

the people who DO buy it are absolute morons who are runing it for everyone else. if nobody bought it, it wouldnt exist and maybe devs would spend a bit more time looking for things to put into the games, rather than things to take out

Helix wrote: »

ever

the people who DO buy it are absolute morons who are runing it for everyone else. if nobody bought it, it wouldnt exist and maybe devs would spend a bit more time looking for things to put into the games, rather than things to take out
    Of course it would. Sure that's what expansion packs have been for years before console DLC came along.

Some DLC isn't worth the money or the time. However, some DLC is, examples being Undead Nightmare or the All Fronts Collection for GOW 2 (only released in it's entirety though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i buy the games and feel that they are taking the píss so i "acquire" any decent dlc

Redlion wrote: »
    Of course it would. Sure that's what expansion packs have been for years before console DLC came along.
    expansion packs actually offered a lot more though. developers had a lot more to lose since they were physical releases which cost them money, so the tendency there is to make sure youre releasing something people will buy

with modern dlc its a case of release a load of pointless crap and see how much of it sells

theres no value to any of it. everyone who has ever bought a costume for a video game character, for example, deserves to lose their thumbs so they can never play games again

imo

expansion packs actually offered a lot more though. developers had a lot more to lose since they were physical releases which cost them money, so the tendency there is to make sure youre releasing something people will buy

with modern dlc its a case of release a load of pointless crap and see how much of it sells

theres no value to any of it. everyone who has ever bought a costume for a video game character, for example, deserves to lose their thumbs so they can never play games again

imo
    Like I said, some DLC is pretty worthless, I'm not disagreeing with you on that. However, some DLC is worth the money, such as Undead Nightmare, which has given me at least 7 hours of extra gameplay for only €9, and it was never going to be released in the final game as it stood. So, not ALL DLC is bad. You got to pick and choose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Multiplayer map packs. Maybe it's just coming from a PC gaming background but paying for a a few multiplayer maps is ridiculous when they used to be free or made by the community. 20 euros for the CoD ones is just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Didn't they refund or do something regards the horse armour, I remember there being a stink kicked up at the time, so much has the term been used it even has it's own Urban Dictionary entry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Thought the ACII ones were terrible, bad enough they were cut from the original storyline, they were far too short.

RDR:Undead Nightmare was an example of good DLC. Something that takes a few hours more is nearly always good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Red Dead, Mass Effect 2 and Fallout are the only games I've ever bought any dlc for, felt all three were well worth it.

Horse armour at the time seemed pathetic but most games have pointless costumes or whatever that cost a few euro now. Can't say I get annoyed at it either, fair play to the devs for taking advantage of idiots. Dlc made up of just features which have been taken out of the game on the other hand is extremely annoying. I wont pay for it but its frustrating missing out on the extra content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

You would have to be an idiot to spend €15 on the call of duty map packs :rolleyes:

Each call of duty game has on average 3 map packs.

€60 (for the base game) + 15X3 = €105 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's an ultramarine skin for the space marines. Which is just a few character models.

I agree for the most part, but the thing is, the real life (sort of) Warhammer types take all the paint schemes and insignia stuff so seriously that it must have felt like an obvious decision to the devs. Players tend to have a kind of team loyalty to one chapter or another, so somebody who stumps up for an Ultramarines gimmick is unlikely to turn around and do the same for the Dark Angels one. A Space Marines player is even less likely to turn around and pay for an Eldar one, and so on.

F**king hell though, those prices are absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Avatar items for the Xbox 360. You're one of the biggest twonks imaginable if you've ever spent real money on virtual clothes for your avatar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Honest to goodness I couldn't agree more. Mii's were a bit of fun fluff where you messed around for 3 minutes so that your family could each have a Wii Bowling character.

Microsoft completely missed the point of this fact with "Avatars". I mean who in their right mind would spend a tenner dressing up something so utterly pointless? It doesn't even feature in any of the games you play.

Totally crazy. Boggles the mind. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

For me its mw2 map pack where old maps from cod 4 were copy/pasted.

After 4 cod flexibility and dedicated servers, that dlc looked like a total rip off.

What happened to good old times where with most big titles you would get map editor too... Only blizzard has this now with sc2.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

worst DLC - the extra multiplayers maps in Bioshock 2 and level cap update- was that the Sinclair solutions tester ? Not only was it a rip off, but due to the multiplayer matchmaking unless every other player in the lobby had the extra maps, you could not play them. In the 6 months I played multiplayer in Bioshock 2, I never got to play the extra maps. complete bollix.

not all DLC is bad - case being the brilliant Minerva's Den in Bioshock 2 and Lair of the Shadow Broker in ME2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I agree for the most part, but the thing is, the real life (sort of) Warhammer types take all the paint schemes and insignia stuff so seriously that it must have felt like an obvious decision to the devs. Players tend to have a kind of team loyalty to one chapter or another, so somebody who stumps up for an Ultramarines gimmick is unlikely to turn around and do the same for the Dark Angels one. A Space Marines player is even less likely to turn around and pay for an Eldar one, and so on.

F**king hell though, those prices are absolutely ridiculous.

I can see your reasoning alright, but I don't really buy it for those prices (I also wouldn't touch that DLC either). As you say, they're horrendous prices.

Wargear for Last Stand or the campaign at least has a purpose, but those model packs (of which there are a few) are purely cosmetic. You could come up with a reasonable (to the untrained eye, at least -ie. mine) approximation using the Army Painter that comes with the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I actually don't have a problem with cosmetic dlc. If you want to buy it, go right ahead. It won't give you any advantage or extra content. It's purely your choice.

Map packs, story unlocks, dlc that's already on the disc at release...they are another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

ever

So if i buy DLC I'm "ruining it for everyone else"?

good.

So if i buy DLC I'm "ruining it for everyone else"?

good.

everyone else including yourself

see that money you're paying for garbage? wouldnt be happening if people like you werent dumb enough to fork over their hard earned money for it

if people dont buy it devs dont sell it

DLC done properly? burnout paradise's free stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Maybe not the worst but the biggest let down was the Witch Hunt DLC from Dragonage. This was supposed to solve the mystery of where one of the games biggest characters ended up. It last 50 minutes, used two tiny recycled enviroments and was such a lazy cash in that it turned me off the sequel. Still haven't bothered to play that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

see that money you're paying for garbage? wouldnt be happening if people like you werent dumb enough to fork over their hard earned money for it

What a well reasoned argument....

But NO

DLC is here to stay, so its well past time you stopped whinging about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Because I've decided that something like Lair of the Shadow broker is worth my money I'm 'dumb'? Grow the fuck up.
    Try to understand that people who buy things you don't like and enjoy them are perfectly fucking entitled to do so without having people like you getting indignant that they have the audacity to have fun and spend their money in a way you don't approve of.
    I know this might be a total mindfuck of a revelation for you, but this is how shit actually works.
    Take a deep breath, it's a wonderful world of your shitty opinion being irrelevant that you've just stepped into.

And you're right on one thing - if people don't buy it it won't be made. But seeing as I've enjoyed all the DLC I've bought I want to encourage developers to make more DLC I'm more than willing to throw down a few quid every now and again for more game content and to show them that there is a market for it.
    If that also happens to upset people like you - bonus.

Advertisement