Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most pathetic DLC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

there are some really bad ones but for me it has to be call of duty black ops. The DLc packs are 13 euro each for 4 multiplayer maps (want!) and a new zombie level (do not want!).

I think that 3 euro per map is a bit much especially seeing as all the dlc combined is more expensive than the game itself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Because I've decided that something like Lair of the Shadow broker is worth my money I'm 'dumb'? Grow the fuck up.
    Try to understand that people who buy things you don't like and enjoy them are perfectly fucking entitled to do so without having people like you getting indignant that they have the audacity to have fun and spend their money in a way you don't approve of.
    I know this might be a total mindfuck of a revelation for you, but this is how shit actually works.
    Take a deep breath, it's a wonderful world of your shitty opinion being irrelevant that you've just stepped into.

And you're right on one thing - if people don't buy it it won't be made. But seeing as I've enjoyed all the DLC I've bought I want to encourage developers to make more DLC I'm more than willing to throw down a few quid every now and again for more game content and to show them that there is a market for it.
    If that also happens to upset people like you - bonus.

FFS. Wtf kind of reasoning is that?
    Why don't we introduce it to every fcuking thing. Why not buy a movie with the option to dl an extra bit on the end. Would you buy that? No, that would be fcuking retarded. How about a book. Dl a book on kindle, have the option to dl an extra bit to add on... would you buy that?
    If it keeps going like this you won't be able to play any games without being asked to dl something every 5 mins for some bs that should be there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I don't know if it qualifies as the "worst" dlc but I'm going to vote for the purchasable hats in TF2.

If people want to waste 0.79 cents that's fine. I don't get it but it's a negligible amount of money. However, back when Valve initially implemented their micro-payments shop (and actually up until fairly recently) some of the specials were priced at €18. That's €18 for a hat comprised of photons. Fortunately they have realise the error of their ways and you can pick up a hat for a mere €10. That's €10 for a hat comprised of photons.

I guess one selling point is that you can't loose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

taytothief wrote: »
    Why don't we introduce it to every fcuking thing. Why not buy a movie with the option to dl an extra bit on the end.

They already do something similar with music and film :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya but FO dlc was a bit doo doo. Now Borderlands DLC on the otherhand, fantastic!

wat?? Broken steel was amazing. The only really crap one was mothership zeta. The others were enjoyable - awesome

worst dlc has to be unlock codes. Youre paying for **** already on the disc. The PC edition of alice: madness returns was hilarious, all you had to do to unlock the dlc weapons and dresses was edit a line in a text files that basically said 'special edition: no' and change it to 'special edition: yes'. Hey presto, free DLC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Because I've decided that something like Lair of the Shadow broker is worth my money I'm 'dumb'? Grow the fuck up.

You come across as a tantruming 12 year old. Please try and make your point without swearing your head off. Its not clever. The next childish outburst like that will have consequences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

hooradiation given a warning for being a naughty boy. Keep it civil guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I apologise for nothing.
    taytothief wrote: »
    Why don't we introduce it to every fcuking thing. Why not buy a movie with the option to dl an extra bit on the end. Would you buy that? No, that would be fcuking retarded. How about a book. Dl a book on kindle, have the option to dl an extra bit to add on... would you buy that?
    If it keeps going like this you won't be able to play any games without being asked to dl something every 5 mins for some bs that should be there in the first place.

This is a well reasoned and utterly plausible vision of the future.
    DLC is the devil! hallelujah i have seen the light!

*ahem*

If the best reason you have for not buying DLC is a shoddy slippery slope fallacy then i can't really say I find it compelling or relevant. Now if you'll excuse me there is some borderlands DLC I missed and the teaser for borderlands 2 has put me in the mood for more.
    Good thing DLC exists or I'd have to do without or just replay the vanilla game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Why didn't the Helix get a warning for basically calling him dumb? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why didn't the Helix get a warning for basically calling him dumb? :confused:

Because he wasn't nasty about it and if hooradiation had read his first post properly they would have seen that helix didn't have a problem with expansion pack type DLC anyway thus avoiding any nastiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It comes down to the difference between right and wrong:

Right DLC = A game has been out 6-12 months or more and the devs say 'hey, lets keep this alive and give the fans some extra levels, etc. free or otherwise.

Wrong DLC = A game is made with locked levels, items, etc. and the devs/whoever decide they will call this 'DLC' and charge people to unlock them. Then they have 'DLC' that they give to different stores to reward players for preordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

All these dlcs just make me wait for goty editions. Pick up game with full dlcs for pennies. I bet I am not the only one.

I would be on the old school side too. I loved expansion packs. Remember buying expansion packs like diablo 2 lod or Warcraft 3 TFT etc. You could see effort putted in to it.

Dlc was a great idea, but greedy bastards made it horrible idea.

Love love love witchers developers. Drm bull**** droped after 2 months to make it better for paying customer. They know pirate will pirate no matter what. Any ather dlcs are free. I love that they call them "patches", not dlc too.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Street Fighter 4 alturnate costume DLC. These where already on disc at the time of release and most of the costumes (14/25) where already created for the arcade version (which where unlocked in the arcade version by playing the game and tying them into a registration card). So it wasn't like they could wheel out that old chesnut of saying it was developed after the "core" game.

What really annnoyed me is they released them in packs of 5 seperately over several months before releasing an all in one pack which was slightly cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

What really grinds my gears is the Tiger Woods dlc on the day of release about 200 euros worth of courses and time saver packs makes me sick, probably wouldn't happen if their was some sort of competition, which is why i think they don't do the same with Fifa

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Because he wasn't nasty about it and if hooradiation had read his first post properly they would have seen that helix didn't have a problem with expansion pack type DLC anyway thus avoiding any nastiness.

Ahahah, this is priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Helix wrote: »
    i have never bought DLC and i never will

ever

the people who DO buy it are absolute morons who are runing it for everyone else. if nobody bought it, it wouldnt exist and maybe devs would spend a bit more time looking for things to put into the games, rather than things to take out

I buy DLC and I'm not a moron, sorry to burst your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I buy DLC and I'm not a moron, sorry to burst your bubble.

i love your avators costume, how much was that, and how much gameplay time it bought you... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Honestly... there is some DLC i hate, DLC thats already on the disc is a pain in the arse and I simply wont buy it, if someone else wants to buy it, fine, their money to do with whatever the fook they want.

Something like the CoD maps (I understand is anoying for the PC guys, since we used to get these things for free.. but you know what... thats life, deal with it.. since most PC users **** were they eat anyway) which i probably get a good 20-30 hours worth of gametime out of... although its overpriced for the amount of work required to make them... are still worth the money for me, A COD PLAYER.... they might not be worth it for you guys but for me... they are, get over it.. if you can't, well... like you brand me and anyone else that buys them, you are an IDIOT.

The cosmetic DLC is again something I don't do, simply because I dont see the point. They're meant to be unique, rare items but they just end up becoming common and thus lose most of their value (Im talking mainly about MMO's and hats(?) here). If someone else wants to spend their money on it... who am I to judge them... I just went out and bought a fvcking sandwich from subway for £7 and then paid £1.40 for a bottle of water... you see where im going with this guys ?

I understand why people don't like the way DLC is going... but some of you need a slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

i love your avators costume, how much was that, and how much gameplay time it bought you... :rolleyes:

probably 200 points, the arse end of whatever I had left in my account at the time which was probably two years ago now. It's the only Avatar stuff I've bought but I don't think it a waste. Would I have thrown a 2euro coin at it which is its real world equivalent? Yeah no problem. Any more than that? No. It's cheap and doesn't harm anyone, why are people getting so angry?

Now a question for you; what is the relevance of gameplay time? It was never advertised as providing any gameplay benefit nor did I believe it would.

Ahahah, this is priceless.

Dems the breaks. Read the charter and peoples posts before attacking them next time. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Helix wrote: »
    everyone else including yourself

see that money you're paying for garbage? wouldnt be happening if people like you werent dumb enough to fork over their hard earned money for it

if people dont buy it devs dont sell it

DLC done properly? burnout paradise's free stuff

I paid I think €10 for Big surf in Burnout Paradise and honestly, I don't regret. I also bought the expansions (as a €20 bundle) for Borderlands and ditto. I don't believe all DLC is garbage.

(On a side note: I was more tempted to buy Big surf Island DLC as they had given out free DLC. Not sure I woudl have bought Bordelrand DLC only my friends had so I was kinda pressured to do so....perhaps there is something in giving free DLC as a sweetner to entice you to purchase DLC at a later date)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Dems the breaks. Read the charter and peoples posts before attacking them next time. Thanks.

yup, you can call half the forum idiots/morons as long as you don't mention names :) Gotta start doing this more often.

I honestly expected some effort to be made to at least try and explain away this kind of blatant double standards nonsense.
    More fool me, I guess I should have known better.

There's a difference between a personal attack and imagining you've been personally attacked by loose association. I try to be lenient but hooradiation blatantly broke the charter rules and by those rules is lucky not to get a ban. Helix on the other hand said something that got taken up the wrong way, which last time I checked isn't against the charter and it isn't Helix's fault that people took it as a personal attack and/or have no sense of humour. End of.

There's a difference between a personal attack and imagining you've been personally attacked by loose association. I try to be lenient but hooradiation blatantly broke the charter rules and by those rules is lucky not to get a ban. Helix on the other hand said something that got taken up the wrong way, which last time I checked isn't against the charter and it isn't Helix's fault that people took it as a personal attack and/or have no sense of humour. End of.

Well that's about a shoddy a reason as any, i guess.

If anyone has been offended by Helix's generalisation then I'll remind you, it was hardly offensive, it was a generalisation and you're not that important for it to be all about you.

Back on topic people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya but FO dlc was a bit doo doo. Now Borderlands DLC on the otherhand, fantastic!

The Fallout DLC excluding Anchorage and Zeta were pretty good. Point Lookout in particular was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Soul Calibur IV's DLC was very poor. There was some extra armour for custom characters and an alternate soundtrack. All of which was targeted at fans of the series and was mostly decent value if you were into those. What was pathetic was that each version got an 'exclusive' character: xbox got Yoda where as PS3 got Darth Vader. A few months later they sold the character not available on disc as DLC. This kinda comes across as being pathetic to me.

Resident Evil 5 had some great DLC as well. The versus mode DLC is a waste of space. From what I heard it is meant to be very 'meh' and it takes ages to find people in matchmaking as it never really caught on.

L4D on xbox, paying for free content...

CORaven wrote: »
    L4D on xbox, paying for free content...

Isn't that a microsoft thing though, microsoft expect a cut and valve basically can't give it away for free without paying microsoft what they would expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Isn't that a microsoft thing though, microsoft expect a cut and valve basically can't give it away for free without paying microsoft what they would expect.

Thats correct .

Graw 2 had some great value , 800pts for 14 maps i think. Unfortunately money make s the world go round and deals like that are now non existent. At the same time , take cod for example 15 euro for a map pack , if you play a few times a week and your getting value then whos to say its not worth it.

Advertisement