Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Wait until you go from the outstanding 'A Storm of Swords' on a high only to find 'A Feast for Crows' brings you right back down again.

:(

What an extremely irritating comment to make.

Reading 'Mao the Unknown Story '

brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

That's strange since he only wrote them in the 90's :p

Not sure if you're messing here but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey%E2%80%93Maturin_series - Master & Commander first published 1970.

(edit) OK just copped you're talking about George RR Martin (/edit)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Not sure if you're messing here but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey%E2%80%93Maturin_series - Master & Commander first published 1970.

(edit) OK just copped you're talking about George RR Martin (/edit)

Derp :o Sorry, should have read your post more carefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

GastroBoy wrote: »
    What an extremely irritating comment to make.
    He/She speaks the truth. Feast of crows is a big let down, in my opinion anyway. It is taking me ages just to finish it, storm of swords was much better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

maguic24 wrote: »
    He/She speaks the truth. Feast of crows is a big let down, in my opinion anyway. It is taking me ages just to finish it, storm of swords was much better!

I agree, it took me ages to get through it. The reason it is so difficult is something that is explained at the end of the book with a note from Martin which I feel should have been explained at the beginning of the book.

This isn't a spoiler of events, just how the books are layed out.
    The timeline in Feast for crows is mirrored in the first half of Dance with dragons. Martin covers events that happen to some characters in Feast and the remaining characters re-appear in Dance. So as you read Feast you think some characters have just disappeared and it becomes really frustrating. The timeline between the two books merge about half way through Dance and it continues from there.

If I had known this at the start of Feast I wouldn't have been so frustrated reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Aglomerado wrote: »
    That's a good one, must read that again. Her The Little Friend is also a great read.

The Secret History is superb, I had high hopes for The Little Friend, but found it tedious and gave up about a hundred pages in (which I rarely do).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just started "The Litigators" by John Grisham.
    Only a few chapters in but it seems good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

Juts finished the sense of an ending. great booked and you'd read it in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I had to put Catch-22 down. Haven't a clue what's going on in it. Might come back to it another time.

I've moved on to Sourcery by Terry Pratchett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Anyone reading The Casual Vacancy? I bought the book but I'm in the middle of A Feast For Crows atm so I'm going to wait until I've finished that before I start it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Reading parades end, after watching the tv show :D

AllWasWell wrote: »
    Anyone reading The Casual Vacancy? I bought the book but I'm in the middle of A Feast For Crows atm so I'm going to wait until I've finished that before I start it

I hope to read it at some stage, but I heard it's not great. :-/ I am a massive Harry Potter fan, so I definitely think I will be disappointed. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book. It's not a bad book, but it's always gonna struggle with the fact that it was written by the author of HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

maguic24 wrote: »
    I hope to read it at some stage, but I heard it's not great. :-/ I am a massive Harry Potter fan, so I definitely think I will be disappointed. :(
    I'm also a massive HP fan and JK Rowling is a goddess in my eyes so I'm sure its fantastic! Having said that, it will be hard to live up to the HP series so hopefully won't be too much of a let down.

I'm also a massive HP fan and JK Rowling is a goddess in my eyes so I'm sure its fantastic! Having said that, it will be hard to live up to the HP series so hopefully won't be too much of a let down.

Fingers crossed it will be good, going to read it anyway, when I get the chance. I was hoping she would start writing adult fantasy, I'm still hoping. :) I'll let you know what I think of it as soon as I have read it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

I've just finished Good as Dead by Mark Billingham and have started the Book Thief by Markus Zusak but finding it hard going

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Rereading The Passage by Justin Cronin in anticipation of its prequel due out at the end of October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

eviltwin wrote: »
    Rereading The Passage by Justin Cronin in anticipation of its prequel due out at the end of October

Enjoyed that book so I'm glad to hear of a prequel coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Just started Diary of a Wimpy Kid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The Shelbourne Ultimatum. Very disappointing. The last 2 or 3 Ross O'Carroll Kelly books were hilarious, this one is a bit dull and predictable. I think he's had his day!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

I started The Casual Vacancy but couldn't get into it, so put it aside for now. I'm disappointed with the first taste of her post Harry Potter writing.
    Anyway, I started P.D.James' "Death comes to Pemberly" which is far more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Just re-re-re-re-finished Robert Jordan's the Eye of The World, on to The Great Hunt and all the way up through 13 books to The Gathering Storm in preparation for 2013's A Memory of Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

The Shelbourne Ultimatum. Very disappointing. The last 2 or 3 Ross O'Carroll Kelly books were hilarious, this one is a bit dull and predictable. I think he's had his day!
    NAMA Mia had its good moments but I think it's all gone down a bit. Usually I'd buy the latest book as soon as it was out, I'll wait a while until I get Shelbourne Ultimatum though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Reading Peter Hamilton's latest

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

I wish I could read Reflecting in you by Sylvia Day. Paper copy is not out until 25th of October, ebook out since 2nd & I don't have a kindle.

Has anyone got it on PDF and would kindly email it to me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Silverthorn.
    The second book by Feist in the Riftwar saga.
    Love the first book Magician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Tried reading "Bared To You" but couldn't get over the 50 Shades references so now I'm indulging in my love of antropologdy by reading this month's How It Works magazine on Amazing Animals. It is both interesting an educational.
    In regards to fiction/non-fiction, I've got a copy of Stephen King's "On Writing" lined up for a possible train journey down to my Dad's so I'll post up a review sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

McChubbin wrote: »
    In regards to fiction/non-fiction, I've got a copy of Stephen King's "On Writing" lined up for a possible train journey down to my Dad's so I'll post up a review sooner or later.

That's an excellent book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement