Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Just finished The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge. It was a fascinating read and inspiring. I'm moving on to The Woman Who Changed Her Brain now, I've just finished chapter one and it seems that it will be just as interesting.

I also read Breakfast at Tiffany's last night. It wasn't what I was expecting at all; I thought it would be your average romance and it most certainly was not.

I've heard terrible things about Fifty Shades of Grey but all the hype is intriguing. My friend bought it the other day and I'm still debating with myself whether to read it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I just downloaded fifty shades of grey, I'm about 20, pages in. Does it get good soon? It reads like a junior cert essay so far.

I just read The Help last week, I really enjoyed it. I was gonna watch the film but found the book in Vincent's. my local branch has a load of great books atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Fifty shades Freed - Bored of it now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm reading An Unsung Hero - Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor by Michael Smith. I've liked what I've read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

The psychopath test by Jon Ronson!!loving it so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Bought and finished Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear over the weekend. Found it interesting enough but not great, but then again its been years since I've been blown away by any book,guess I'm just too old and jaded now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Born To Ride: Stephen Roche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

housetypeb wrote: »
    Bought and finished Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear over the weekend. Found it interesting enough but not great, but then again its been years since I've been blown away by any book,guess I'm just too old and jaded now.

He's a terrible author imo. I read Forge of God, I think it was called, last year. He can write with competence but what he writes is poor. I tried to give him another shot with Blood Music but I didn't get far in.

Currently reading Last Call by Tim Powers. I found an old copy that was in good shape in a second hand book store. I was delighted as most of Powers stuff isn't regularly stocked and it saved me ordering it online.
    I also picked up the second Dirk Gently by Douglas Adams. I read the first a few years back and thought it was alright. I know the second won't be bad. Adams couldn't write poorly if he tried. In fact it would probably have gotten funnier.
    Lastly I picked up Hitch-22. Christopher Hitchens don't you know.

So that's my reading for the next little while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'm about halfway through 50 Shades of Grey.

I need a bit of a lie down at this point.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Giselle wrote: »
    I'm about halfway through 50 Shades of Grey.

I need a bit of a lie down at this point.:)

We know what you're doing. :p

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    We know what you're doing. :p

Scratching? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

A Streetcat Named Bob by James Bowen...if you like cats or are curious about people who sell the Big Issue, read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Just started A Game of Thrones yesterday. It's going to take me ages to go through the whole series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm flitting between Stephen King's 11/22/63 and Terry Pratchett's Snuff...and I'm in the middle of reading Philip Pullman's Northern Lights to the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

pale blue dot by carl sagan

• Registered Users Posts: 48 real_irishken

^
    Pale blue is amazing, that picture is mind-blowing.

Just read Stay out of the Basement from the Goosebumps series...There I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Great Gatsby

Very good read so far. Will finish it in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

"The things they carried" by Tim O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Don't know how I missed this thread...

Just finished The Return of Captain John Emmett by Elizabeth Speller, it's really well written and has lots of unexpected twists in the plot. There's a few lengthy dialogues that get a bit annoying, but I'd definitely recommend it. Gives an insight into life post-WW1 but is essentially just a good mystery novel.

I'm also reading a few French novels by Karine Giebel. No English translations available yet, but if you can read French, they're pretty good. My favourite so far is Jusqu'à ce que la mort nous unisse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Atonement, by Ian McEwan.
    Ended up watching the film first, it's brilliant! So decided to give the book a read, so far so good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭buswankers

Not the Year You Had Planned by Cathy McCarthy.....she had breast cancer in 2007 & wrote a book as a result to help people going through the same thing, has lots of helpful tips for people going through treatment etc, finding it really helpful & highly recommend it, she doesnt make any money from the book all proceeds go back to the cancer support centres.

Its really helped me & not specific to breast cancer (I had a brain tumour earlier this year) & am finding it really brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Atonement, by Ian McEwan.
    Ended up watching the film first, it's brilliant! So decided to give the book a read, so far so good. :)

Great film and book. I have watched and read both many times.

At the minute, I'm reading a couple of travel guides for ideas for a holiday. Not that interesting, eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Stolen Life by Jaycee Lee Dugard.

Shocking but unputdownable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

whiplashed wrote: »
    Stolen Life by Jaycee Lee Dugard.

Shocking but unputdownable.

I was just given that book today. Going to start it tomorrow once I've finished Fifty Shades Freed

I was just given that book today. Going to start it tomorrow once I've finished Fifty Shades Freed

Sorry, I laughed. Sex book and then straight into an abuse book.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Red Hand wrote: »

Sorry, I laughed. Sex book and then straight into an abuse book.:pac:

Ah now the sex is pretty tame! You would see kinkier action in a retirement home!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The War Of The Worlds - H.G. Wells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gaspipe

Ah now the sex is pretty tame! You would see kinkier action in a retirement home!

Retirement homes are the new swingers clubs, I hear.

• Advertisement

Depends on the retirement home Princess!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement