Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Crime and Punishment.

Heavy **** !!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Almost finished 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson. Incredibly interesting and presented in a very accessible manner. Needless to say, hilarious as well. Highly recommend for anyone with an interest in Science.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

just starting Hitlers Hangman - The life of Reinhard Heydrich by Robert Gerwarth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Reading Warsaw 44, the Battle for Warsaw. Its about the Warsaw Rising during WWII. The thing is Fúcin huge though, nearly as thick as it is tall:eek:

Still, I like it, really makes the case for how brutal the Nazies were in Poland, one line sticks out, the Gauliter of central Poland said that in Checkoslovacia under Hydrich you might see a sign saying 7 Checks were shot today, if they had to put up a sign for every 7 Poles killed there would not be enough trees in Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

just finshed reading the Simon Wiesenthal story, and just started Hitlers Henchmen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Chariots of the Gods? by Erich Von Daniken

It's about the Ancient Astronaut theory, it's quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

audidiesel wrote: »
    just starting Hitlers Hangman
    Reading Warsaw 44 [...] Still, I like it, really makes the case for how brutal the Nazies were in Poland, [...]
    GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    just started Hitlers Henchmen.

Jaysus, we're mad for the Nazis eh? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

This* though I've been slacking the last few nights and haven't found time for it.

Upcoming books will be Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, and Cosmos by Sagan. They've been on my to read list for a long time. Have them at the ready.

Edit: I actually have two copies of it too. I'd mentioned to someone I was looking to get it, and in the time between then and my getting it, it was gotten for me as a gift too. For Christmas, I think. Anyway, yeah, so I have a copy I intend to give someone at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I'm on Fulgrim from the Horus Heresy series (Warhammer books).

They're very, very good for anyone who likes sci-fi.

Other than that, I've picked up a copy of The Lucifer Effect.

Seems good so far, but I like psychology books a lot, so I'm biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,320 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I, Partridge.

Read the first few pages of it and decided to get the audiobook. Going to listen to the audiobook first, then read the book (book has things like footnotes, some of which are brilliant)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Pushtrak wrote: »
    This* though I've been slacking the last few nights and haven't found time for it.

That's a great book. I was really sorry when I finished it, I could have kept going for another couple hundred pages.
    Now I just ready any Bill Bryson book I can lay my hands on :D. I loved most of them bar 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I've just started the Tigers wife, my mother asked me to read it to get my opinion - sweet mother of jebus what have I done to deserve this shíte! 35 pages in and it's dreadful.
    On the other I'm just finishing the audio book of Ulysses for the second time, I think a couple of more listens are required plus I'm looking for an audio version of Joseph Campbell's wings of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Game of Thrones book 1. It's ruddy brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Rereading Dune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Just bought Blood River by Tim Butcher. Decided to get it after someone posted a link here to another forum site where this couple went around The Congo, its was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trollymctroll

The phone book

Lot of name throwing going on

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭keithb93

World war Z. Ive never liked reading books but im trying to make it a habit and its fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

keithb93 wrote: »
    World war Z. Ive never liked reading books but im trying to make it a habit and its fairly good.

I must have read that 3 times. I know zombies can never be "realistic" but if it ever did happen I'm sure it would look something like that.

ATM reading "A Painted House" by John Grisham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Just finished Walter Lord's A Night to Remember.

Now reading Up and Down Stairs: The History of the County House Servant by Jeremy Musson.

I don't often read non-fiction so two in a row is unusual, but I'm enjoying it.

Rereading Dune.

Me too. Savage stuff altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    Game of Thrones book 1. It's ruddy brilliant

Reading this too and loving it.

Also reading a bio of Marie Antoinette and "Whitethorn Woods" by Maeve Binchy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

About halfway through The Three Musketeers.

Not a patch on The Count of Monte Cristo, but fun, swashbuckling stuff all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭8mv

Great Expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The Sly Company of People Who Care by Rahul Bhattacharya.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

8mv wrote: »
    Great Expectations

Is it disappointing ??

Reading "Seeing" by Jose Saramago. Kinda thought provoking especially if you have any left/anarchist leanings as the author did and does show how the existence of bad government is almost 100% dependent on the complacency of the mis-ruled.

Often gets described as a sequel to one of his other novels called "Blindness" which I really enjoyed, but mostly because of a couple of shared characters rather than a direct continuation of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Byron: Life & Legend by Fiona McCarthy. Some antics that fella got up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

A bio of Leonardo da Vinci called Flights of the Mind. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

A Feast For Crows, fourth book in the Song Of Ice & Fire series. Amazing series!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

These Are Little Kingdoms by Kevin Barry, the best piece of Irish writing I've read in a long long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement