Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Record Collector magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

A song of ice and fire, a storm of swords. George r.r Martin. Insane books,they really put the lord of the rings (the last fantasy type books i read) Books to shame. Absolutely flying through them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Do they? I only read about 100 pages of Game of Thrones but it seemed kind of trashy in comparison. I'm not a fantasy buff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Edz87 wrote: »
    Almost finished Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 72, Its a classic.

When that is finished I will start the Dracula sequel, and after that its Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Last book finished was Fear and Loathing 72, would recommend.

Rereading Excession, which is in itself a recommend of high regard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Do they? I only read about 100 pages of Game of Thrones but it seemed kind of trashy in comparison. I'm not a fantasy buff though.
    The sex in the books can make them seem kind of trashy, but if you look past that they have some of the best interaction of characters/politics and detailed story I've read in years.

Someone compared them to the Dune books (first one anyway) to me, which I think is a good comparison of the type of storytelling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Reading the 'Second Coming' at the moment. Funniest thing I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

The sex in the books can make them seem kind of trashy, but if you look past that they have some of the best interaction of characters/politics and detailed story I've read in years.

Someone compared them to the Dune books (first one anyway) to me, which I think is a good comparison of the type of storytelling.
    The blurb from the Guardian on the cover of my copy of A Game Of Thrones wasn't too far off - "Characters so venomous they could eat the Borgias". :lol:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Oh neither am i at all, but just find the detail with which the characters revolve around each other is class. The way its written it leaves you dying to find out what happens to each character next. Very enjoyable and there's 6 of them i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've about 100 pages left to read of The Count of Monte Cristo.
    Amazing book, and I know it will be a hard act to follow. My next book will be a fairly short one after reading all that !!
    But after that I'm wondering about Dumas' other books, will they be a let down to me after The Count ???

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I feel your pain, after the Count of Monte Cristo, I had caught the reading bug again, but it is such a long haul I decided to go for something short... I followed it up with Jack London's Call of the Wild and then White Fang, simply because they were also ranked high on the Must Read list of many websites along with Count of Monte Cristo, and they are quite short, extremely so in comparison with the Count of Monte Cristo. However, I didn't get much enjoyment out of them, and out of any book I've read since. The Count makes everything else seem inadequate in comparison :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Black Angel by John Connolly (again!!). Finished Hollow Men by JC last week...yep! BIG John Connolly fan

Finished Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse-Five. Both pretty great. Preferred Catch-22 for its multitude of perspectives. Reminded me of The Wire for some reason. Might check out the movie for Slaughterhouse on Netflix.

Laughed all the way through Catch 22...read it on holidays and really annoyed my bf at the time. HA

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

About to start The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
    T'was recommended to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Read Animal Farm, 1984 & catch 22 recently. Just starting El Sicario: Confessions of a cartel hit man now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

allydylan wrote: »
    T'was recommended to me
    Couldn't get past Chapter Two or Three. And the movie was even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Piper101 wrote: »
    Laughed all the way through Catch 22...read it on holidays and really annoyed my bf at the time. HA

I found it hilarious too, but the second to last chapter was pretty tough going. I liked it a hell of a lot more than Slaughterhouse-Five, though it was still good.

allydylan wrote: »
    T'was recommended to me

Really? I couldn't put it down...the film though, that was bad!

I found it hilarious too, but the second to last chapter was pretty tough going. I liked it a hell of a lot more than Slaughterhouse-Five, though it was still good.

Have to agree with you there, struggled through to the end but some genius writing :)

Anyone read any of the hunger games? Are they good or just for kids? 3 for 2 offer on in easons, might get the trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Reading Bryce Courtney's The Power of One. A very pleasant read especially after reading Jon McGregor's Even The Dogs, a very shocking and moving story about how lonely and desolate life can be for some unfortunates.

On chapter 4 I think? Ya emmmmm, its ok, the relationship between Henry and the young Claire is a bit uncomfortable to read, in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

The Secret

Have to agree with you there, struggled through to the end but some genius writing :)

Anyone read any of the hunger games? Are they good or just for kids? 3 for 2 offer on in easons, might get the trilogy

I read the first one and loved it! I can't speak for the other 2 books in the triology though because i have let to read them. But i look forward to when i do get the chance to read them. I think adults can enjoy the books too

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow, my brother bought it for me for my birthday. A real good read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Call of the Wild by Guy Grieve. It's about a Scotsman who quits his job, builds a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness and lives in it through the winter. Interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Bought 'Escape from camp 14' today, it's about a man who escaped from a North Korean concentration camp. Interested first few chapters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

The Phantom, Jo Nesbo. Like most of his books, it starts off slow enough, but really picks up.

One of the best crime writers out there at the moment in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Loved catch 22. 20 years since I read it.
    Matterhorn is best war book I have ever read.
    Loved game of thrones.
    Sisters brothers is superb.
    War and peace and strumpet city are very rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Finished The Count of MC last night. I feel sad now...
    Just back from Easons, got the following :

The Three Musketeers - Dumas
    Cervantes - Quixote
    The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
    Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky

Also its worth mentioning that most of the classics are only 2.70 in Easons. The Wordsworth editions. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Mister Slaughter by Robert McCammon
    About a 100 pages in and so far its proving to be a top notch read.
    Have to get back to it,as Its a real page turner.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Finished Company of Liars today and I was pretty happy with what I read. Above average and good fun. I have 2 novels ordered but I won't get them for a week anyway, that leaves me enough time to read something else. I could pick something up tomorrow or maybe reread something. I'm fretting which is why I'm in this thread. I'm going to stare at a pile of books and not be able to pick one, realise the time and go to sleep. Or that tends to be how this plays out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement