Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy at the moment.

Keeping track of all the names and spy terms is a chore but it's a decent read so far

Yeah that turned me off it. Appaling book IMO.

Reading Game of Thrones, its good, occasionally great, and quite addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Reading MammyDaddy by Jeremy Howe, it was the Kindle 'book of the day' one day during the week.
    Very emotional and thought provoking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭scotchy

Just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

Excellent read.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Sylvia Plath's 'The Bell Jar'
    Brace yourself, but it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

moonfish wrote: »
    .best book I ever read was the forgotten soldier by some fu calles guy sager every One i loaned it to were mad about it a great read

Get "Sniper on the Eastern Front" by Sepp Allerberger. If you liked Forgotten Soldier you will love this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

About three quarters through Catch 22. What a load of boring ****e, with a hint of stupid slapstick here and there. Not gonna even bother finishing it.

Just like Catcher in the Rye. Boring drivel that everyone says they like, just so they can sound intelligent and of good taste.
    Catch 22 is a masterpiece, about a man's struggle with his own conscience and fear amid the madness surrounding him; Catcher touches on similar territory.

Actually, now that I think of it, Yossarian is a drafted Holden Caulfield!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott FitzGerald.

Underwhelming so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

RayM wrote: »
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott FitzGerald.

Underwhelming so far.
    Try Tender is the Night if you haven't read it before. So much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Gonna start on Salem's Lot tonight, I've never actually read anything by Stephen King! :eek: Hopefully this will be a good intro before tackling the likes of IT/The Stand etc...
    Finished this yesterday, after reading for longer in one day than I have for any other book! Must have been a good 6 or 7 hours in total.

Now I'm going to start on The Stand. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

Re-reading It by Stephen King - to me his scariest (and best?) book; the atmosphere he creates is astonishing.

I'll never look at a clown the same way again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Finished this yesterday, after reading for longer in one day than I have for any other book! Must have been a good 6 or 7 hours in total.

Now I'm going to start on The Stand. :D

Finished re-reading the stand during the week, just devoured it, and I knew what was happening... Love that book!

Read Eye of the Dragon by SK, it's a bit of a departure from his normal style, but it's one of my faves by him. Unputdownable!
    Re-reading It by Stephen King - to me his scariest (and best?) book; the atmosphere he creates is astonishing.

Half thinking of re-reading IT meself, but might go for Needful Things first, his oldies are most certainly his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Sylvia Plath's 'The Bell Jar'
    Brace yourself, but it is worth it.

Loved reading that.

ATM I'm reading The Case For God by Karen Armstrong. Prodigiously researched and very well written. You certainly don't need to be believe in God(s) to appreciate it. In terms of pure scholarship and historical insight, it is leaps and bounds beyond the relatively immature writings of Dennett and Dawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm reading part two of A Storm of Swords in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and Major
    I've just endured Edmure's wedding! I really didn't see that coming. I knew Tywin was plotting and was involved in getting Jeyne and Robb together, but I didn't expect what happened! :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm rereading Phoinex Magazine's Diary Of A Northside Taoiseach. Seems quite apt with the week that's in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's funny, that's the only SK book that I started and didn't finish. I don't know what it was about it! I must give it another shot.

I've been reading Dracula for weeks but I've hit a bit of a wall with it :( I actually haven't picked up my Kindle in about a week because I just couldn't be bothered. I really want to finish it but I'm finding it a bit difficult, I'm just over halfway through.

Think I might give up and start either American Psycho or We Need to Talk About Kevin.

I also want to read The Hunger Games trilogy. I saw the movie last night, had wanted to read the books first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Just finished reading Stephen Kings "The Stand".......really really great read

.Another great read in a similar vein is Swan Song by Robbert McCammon. IMO Swan Song is better,and thats saying something because The Stand is epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Finished Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse-Five. Both pretty great. Preferred Catch-22 for its multitude of perspectives. Reminded me of The Wire for some reason. Might check out the movie for Slaughterhouse on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Finished Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse-Five. Both pretty great. Preferred Catch-22 for its multitude of perspectives.

Catch 22 is much much better. It's more complex I guess, while Slaughterhouse 5 reads more easier and not as witty. Still a good book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

As I off to see a production of it on Thursday, I'm currently re-reading Macbeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

How the mind works by Steven Pinker(lol) and Is It Just Me or Is Everything Sh*t? by Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Think I might give up and start either American Psycho or We Need to Talk About Kevin.

I implore you not read that pile of ****e 'We need to talk about Kevin', it was the biggest pile of ****e I have ever read. Please do not do it!! I will never get back the time I wasted reading that garbage.

Did I mention that it's ****e :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Reading two at once at the moment. Portrait of the artist and Naked lunch:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Portrait of the artist
    same here, a friend mentioned she'd started reading it and i'd recently come across my copy from my Leaving Cert days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm about 300 pages into The Stand and I'm now very aware when someone sneezes/coughs near me! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I implore you not read that pile of ****e 'We need to talk about Kevin', it was the biggest pile of ****e I have ever read. Please do not do it!! I will never get back the time I wasted reading that garbage.

Did I mention that it's ****e :confused:

:eek: I've read some really good reviews about it, including some from this thread!
    I'm about 300 pages into The Stand and I'm now very aware when someone sneezes/coughs near me! :eek:

Haha I was exactly the same!! It freaked me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The Didi Man (Not as dirty as it sounds :P)

It's the autobiography of Dietmar "Didi" Hamann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

Portrait of an artist is in my top five. Savage book.

Almost finished Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 72, Its a classic.

When that is finished I will start the Dracula sequel, and after that its Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

John Dies in the End.

I cant wait to read what happens :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

It's been a while, so I'm re-reading Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement