Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Dracula - Bram Stoker.
    Always suprised the amount of people who say they are obsessed with all things vampire, yet have never read Dracula.

Towards the end Stoker really ramps up the action and excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Read Normal People in a day. It was such an absorbing read, it did very well to capture a moment in time and what is going on with people. There seemed to be quite a few characters that I could relate to or imagine quite clearly. It's a great read.
    It's a really excellent read.
    Interesting to see what tv show is going to be like (coming to BBC this year).

I posted a while ago about reading the institute by Stephen King, I am still on it about ,75% through it. It's excellent but I keep nodding off in bed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Always suprised the amount of people who say they are obsessed with all things vampire, yet have never read Dracula.

Are they not the ones who prefer their vampires “sparkling” and riddled with teen angst?

The tide is turning…

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The narrator in Rebecca is such a wet blanket that you end up agreeing with Mrs. Danvers' dislike of her. Obviously it's a product of its time but I suspect most modern readers identify far more with Rebecca than they do the narrator.
    Great film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

kickfacer wrote: »
    It won't be anything like the book. It'll be like apples and oranges.
    How so? Have you seen scripts etc?
    I have only seen trailer but I thought it looked promising, plus Lenny Abrahamson directing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Are they not the ones who prefer their vampires “sparkling” and riddled with teen angst?

I've enjoyed Vampire stories since my teens (1980s). I used to love the old Dracula Lives! comics by Marvel. I've also read Interview with the Vampire, Dracula, Salem's Lot, and The Historian, among others.

Stephen King's short story One for the Road, is a great little post-Salem's Lot vampire snippet. In his non-fiction book, Danse Macabre (highly recommended, even if it is out of date now) King has some interesting things to say about Stoker's Dracula and sex, and how King dropped the sex angle in Salem's Lot, thinking it was a bit done to death. He wasn't aware then of course, how Coppola would eventually bring it back front-and-centre in his own version.

I never bothered with the Twilight stuff. I'm too old for thinly-disguised teen romances I suppose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The narrator in Rebecca is such a wet blanket that you end up agreeing with Mrs. Danvers' dislike of her. Obviously it's a product of its time but I suspect most modern readers identify far more with Rebecca than they do the narrator.
    And then she goes to say she doesn't like the sound of the sea. That's it, she's dead to me.

Great film though.
    Random fact. Back in Spain, after the huge success of the movie, the knitted cardigan she wears is called "rebeca"

52 Times Britain was a Bellend by James Felton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Le Morte d 'Arthur after being suggested by a co-worker. So far it's not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Le Morte d 'Arthur after being suggested by a co-worker. So far it's not bad.

‘Sir Gawain and the Green Knight’ up next?

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Just finished The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen. Three more books to go in the Rizzoli & Isles series.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

It's not Dracula (which I have read and enjoyed) but I shall be rereading Interview with a Vampire soon.

I decided to read Night by Elie Wiesel after seeing a few tweets by the Auschwitz Memorial in response to queries they received about the most reliable texts on Auschwitz.

Although very brief at just over 120 pages, this is a astonishing read about what Elie Wiesel has to endure during his teenage years.

I would highly recommend this to anyone with an interest in the Holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Garrett M. Graff's "The Only Plane In The Sky: The Oral History Of 9/11". Basically tonnes of quotes from 9/11 witnesses and survivors, in roughly chronological order. I'm not far into it, but oh my goodness, it's so well put together, really makes you feel like you're right there in the middle of it all. Would highly recommend!

Chernobyl Prayer by Svetlana Alexievich. Although there were one or two interesting stories here, I wasn't overly impressed with this book.

I'm reading 'The Miniaturist' by Jessie Burton..It's quite good so far..just found out when googling to find her name that the BBC made a mini series of it, so 'woo-hoo'..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Grabbed this, thanks.
    Garrett M. Graff's "The Only Plane In The Sky: The Oral History Of 9/11". Basically tonnes of quotes from 9/11 witnesses and survivors, in roughly chronological order. I'm not far into it, but oh my goodness, it's so well put together, really makes you feel like you're right there in the middle of it all. Would highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Chernobyl Prayer by Svetlana Alexievich. Although there were one or two interesting stories here, I wasn't overly impressed with this book.

I was really taken by it. Although in fairness given the style of the book I actually thought it worked better if you just read a story or two at a time + then came back to it again at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Finished American Dirt. An excellent read. It didn't stay as gripping the whole way through but still very good.

I hope someone sent President Trump a present of this book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Hadrian's Gate by Georgia Knight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Iron John - a book about men by Robert Bly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Keep it together - philosophy for everyday emergencies, by Marie Robert.

It's a fun book and a lovely introduction to philosophy and philosophers for generation tl;dr.
    (also, the book has only about 150 pages).

The author decscribes everyday situation where a certain philosophy might help, then explains the philosophy as such and recommends the according book for advanced readers.

Chapter examples:
    °Spinoza goes to Ikea - or, the problem with desires.
    °Aristotle and hangovers - or, believing in the experience.
    °A bone to pick with Heidegger - or, what happens when your dog dies

You get the idea...

Someone just dropped "the Irrational ape" on my lap and told me I would enjoy it. Never heard of it so do not know what to expect. Should I put it on my already long "to read" pile or should I push it up the pile a bit?

Currently Reading: "I never met an idiot on the river" by Henry winkler. But only because one of my face boards users happened to visit me last week and gave it to me. Nothing amazing but just reinforcing my belief that Winkler is one of the nicest people in Hollywood :) Would love to meet the man. Especially on the river.

Went back to reread the David Gemmell books. On Sword in the Storm now. Forgot just how good his writing and imagination was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Went back to reread the David Gemmell books. On Sword in the Storm now. Forgot just how good his writing and imagination was.
    Its been over 25 years since I read him...tempted to go back now

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln Reprint by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Watched the Lincoln movie recently starring Daniel Day Lewis and have developed an interest in Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War so thought Id give this book a go! Its very readable and not as dry as I thought it might be and Lincoln was clever in bringing rivals into his cabinet!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Looking forward to Hilary Mantel's new one, The Mirror and the Light, the final book in her Cromwell trilogy. Out in a few days :)

In the meantime, flitting between Bill Bryson's Notes From a Big Country and Ida Milne's Stacking the Coffins, about the Spanish flu of 1918-19 - certainly relevant these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Almost finished The Charmer by Mandasue Heller and next up is City Of Mirrors by Justin Cronin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Shadowland Joseph O' Connor. Another one from the Christmas pile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement