Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

quickbeam wrote: »
    Cider House Rules is on the shelf this past while for me too.

Charity shops are the devils incarnate. Can't pass one, inevietably come out with a handful. My to read list never gets shorter!

I love buying books in the charity shop.was in the local one lately and they were clearing books.5 for a euro.i got around 20.one is on how to whittle birds from scrap timber.lol
    I may never whittle a bird but at that price I couldn’t leave it after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The best of AA Gill.

He really was a brilliantly talented, and funny, writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

The Count of Monte Cristo. It was epic, pardieu!

The best of AA Gill.

He really was a brilliantly talented, and funny, writer.

Did you ever whittle a bird johnny or would you know where to start and what tools you would need??

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

Red Herrings and White Elephants—The Origins of the Phrases We Use Every Day by Albert Jack.

Very informative and entertaining. A fun read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Finally finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman, thank feck. Think I'm gonna admit to myself that he's just not for me.

I'm completely changing my course and began reading Brian Keane's new "Rewire Your Mindset" book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Finally finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman, thank feck. Think I'm gonna admit to myself that he's just not for me.
    I found that one a bit long too. I liked some of his other stuff better, particularly his short story collection, Smoke and Mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

The Book Of Faith - Brad Meltzer

Half way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Currently reading The Choice by Edith Eger which is based on her account of surviving the Holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tried to read Doctor Faustus by Thomas Mann, but just could not get into it. Got about 40% there and didn't enjoy a single page, so I just gave up.

Moved quickly on to The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark which I highly recommend.

Then I read Old School by Tobias Wolff: fantastic book! I'd never read anything by Tobias Wolff before, but the guy can write. Old School is one of the best novels I've read in a long time; quite short, but he's a brilliantly economical writer who packs in so many subtleties and nuances into very wise words.

In fact, I was so impressed that I immediately went out and bought a collection of his short stories - The Night in Question - which I'm nearly through. Also recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Arghus wrote: »
    Tried to read Doctor Faustus by Thomas Mann, but just could not get into it. Got about 40% there and didn't enjoy a single page, so I just gave up.

Moved quickly on to The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark which I highly recommend.

Then I read Old School by Tobias Wolff: fantastic book! I'd never read anything by Tobias Wolff before, but the guy can write. Old School is one of the best novels I've read in a long time; quite short, but he's a brilliantly economical writer who packs in so many subtleties and nuances into very wise words.

In fact, I was so impressed that I immediately went out and bought a collection of his short stories - The Night in Question - which I'm nearly through. Also recommended.

Tobias Wolff is my favourite author. I read This Boy's Life when I was 15. It was the first book that showed me the pleasure in reading. He is a great short story writer as well. He has had an interesting life. He did a stint in Vietnam as well as a young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tobias Wolff is my favourite author. I read This Boy's Life when I was 15. It was the first book that showed me the pleasure in reading. He is a great short story writer as well. He has had an interesting life. He did a stint in Vietnam as well as a young man.

Yes, I finished that book of short stories last night. As to be expected, some stories were better than others, but the quality writing is there in all of them. I'll definitely check out his other novels. I loved his style: very readable but deep and perceptive. Or so I thought anyway.

I read all of Peter Hathaway capsticks books several times.bought them all.could read them for hours. The type of books you would be looking forward for the day to end so you could read more of them.
    Only recently found out he was supposed to be a fraud and worked as a barman instead of a hunt guide.they reckon he gathered all the stories talking to people in the pub and wrote the books on that, claiming it was his own experience he was writing about.
    I’m Still pissed off about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

Another King book I missed. It's a great read, really enjoy alternate realities and 'flipping' between the two.

I read Black House previously not realising it was a follow up to The Talisman and enjoyed it.

Has also made me want to check out Peter Straub books, an author I've never read before

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Has also made me want to check out Peter Straub books, an author I've never read before

‘Ghost Story’ is good, for a modern horror.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm reading Marian Keyes' new one, Grown Ups. I adore her, but this isn't one of my favourites of hers. It's getting tedious, but I'll persevere.

I was at her book launch the other night, she was saying she's working on a follow-up to Rachel's Holiday, that could be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Thanks Emmet. I'll start with that and check out the rest of his books if I enjoy it.

Just finished Inland by Téa Obreht. This was really good. An interesting story told well.
    I've started rereading Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. I absolutely love these books. Great characters and some brilliant dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I'm reading Marian Keyes' new one, Grown Ups. I adore her, but this isn't one of my favourites of hers. It's getting tedious, but I'll persevere.

I was at her book launch the other night, she was saying she's working on a follow-up to Rachel's Holiday, that could be interesting!

I LOVE Rachel's Holiday!! A follow up to that would be so exciting :)

Just finished Where The Crawdads Sing. It came highly recommended but I found it very meh and had to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

An excellent read, there’s a film out there somewhere...with Fred Astaire of all people, and not too shabby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Reading Ancestral Night by Elizabeth Bear

Enjoying it so far . nicely written sci-fi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm on a bit of an Anne of Green Gables buzz at the moment, and have just ordered the full set of eight books by LM Montgomery online. Looking forward to reading them all again for probably the tenth time in my life!

I also recently read Before Green Gables, a prequel to the books written by Budge Wilson, about Anne's childhood. Not great, would not recommend. I got the feeling the author had no real passion for the books and no genuine understanding of the characters, probably just wrote the book for a handy few quid.

I'm now reading another prequel called Marilla of Green Gables, by Sarah McCoy. This is much better, and the writing style is far more consistent with the original books. I'm really enjoying it.

I don't know if any Green Gables fans here have watched the series on Netflix at the moment, I didn't like it at all. The actress playing Anne is terrible, and far too many liberties were taken with the script. It's way off the mark.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There was a Japanese cartoon series made back in the late 70s/early 80s that was excellent.

Edit: 1979

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=421
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Green_Gables_(1979_TV_series)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I'm on a bit of an Anne of Green Gables buzz at the moment, and have just ordered the full set of eight books by LM Montgomery online. Looking forward to reading them all again for probably the tenth time in my life!

I also recently read Before Green Gables, a prequel to the books written by Budge Wilson, about Anne's childhood. Not great, would not recommend. I got the feeling the author had no real passion for the books and no genuine understanding of the characters, probably just wrote the book for a handy few quid.

I'm now reading another prequel called Marilla of Green Gables, by Sarah McCoy. This is much better, and the writing style is far more consistent with the original books. I'm really enjoying it.

I don't know if any Green Gables fans here have watched the series on Netflix at the moment, I didn't like it at all. The actress playing Anne is terrible, and far too many liberties were taken with the script. It's way off the mark.

The 1985 series starring Megan Follows was a BIG hit in our house and still stands the test of time. I much prefer it to the current Netflix production. Have you read North & South (Elizabeth Gaskell) ... it's another favourite in the honeybear house

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

voldejoie wrote: »
    Just finished Where The Crawdads Sing. It came highly recommended but I found it very meh and had to get through.

I read this the other week too. Very beige alright.

Was reading The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton but managed to leave it in New York at the weekend. Read The Personals by Brian O'Connell the other day, a very easy and quick delve into the stories behind some personal ads, and I'm just about to start Anthony Warner's The Truth About Fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I just finished Where The Crawdads Sing and I loved it! It’s a long book and nothing much happens but at the same time it does but it’s not boring. It’s hard to explain! I think it was wonderfully written. It’s one of those books that I wish I hadn’t read yet!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Read This Sporting Life a book about the life of a Rugby League player in the north of England in 1960, it was alright.

Half way through Philippe Auclair's biography of Eric Cantona and love it, so much detail and paints a good picture of a complex and fascinating individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Bad Blood. The rise and fall of Theranos. Really good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

BBC recording - Madomesille Perle by Guy de Maupassant. Really surprisingly good and made me think - definately worth the 40 mins podcast.

This was to avoid picking up ky current read : Blood River by Tim Butcher. A guy following his mother/Stanley of Dr Livingston I presume fame trips across the Congo but trying to do it on a motorbike.It won Richard &Judy ‘award’ but Im finding it really dark and selfish and pointless but full of interesting trivia I then google. My jury is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,259 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am reading a book called 'Life in the frame - my story' an autobiography about snooker player Ken Doherty. - (2011)

I am about half way through it -only 280 pages in it

Much as the guy is likable the book does not contain much that is interesting.
    After the part about his early life and early days - early days in snooker - it got tedious.
    Plus lots of English phrases like 'made up' are used in it. Does Ken talk like that? I am not sure.

He seemed more reliant on other people's stories rather than his own.
    Plus the print is massive and the chapters are short.

The chapter titles seem to made up as they go along -

Desperately trying to make it dramatic with things like 'The deepest lows'. But most are mundane. 'How the players see me' and 'The players and me'

The fella is just not very exciting or interesting!
    And I know his snooker history already, so I was looking for insight or off the table antics.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement