Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Just finished The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides and while it's not my usual type of read (it's on special offer in Lidl right now and became my thing-I-didn't-need purchase) I enjoyed it.

I'm stunned that the poster a few posts back didn't like the Netflix version of Anne with an E. The actress playing Anne was simply wonderful and the whole series is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

I'm on a bit of an Anne of Green Gables buzz at the moment, and have just ordered the full set of eight books by LM Montgomery online. Looking forward to reading them all again for probably the tenth time in my life!

I also recently read Before Green Gables, a prequel to the books written by Budge Wilson, about Anne's childhood. Not great, would not recommend. I got the feeling the author had no real passion for the books and no genuine understanding of the characters, probably just wrote the book for a handy few quid.

I'm now reading another prequel called Marilla of Green Gables, by Sarah McCoy. This is much better, and the writing style is far more consistent with the original books. I'm really enjoying it.

I don't know if any Green Gables fans here have watched the series on Netflix at the moment, I didn't like it at all. The actress playing Anne is terrible, and far too many liberties were taken with the script. It's way off the mark.

I was very excited about the new series but actually couldn't bring myself to watch because of a few review tweets I saw. I absolutely adored these books as a child - and the Emily of New Moon series. I read and reread over and over. Might just have to do it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

fullstop wrote: »
    Bad Blood. The rise and fall of Theranos. Really good read.

Fascinating story, likewise with WeWork. Sociopaths masquerading as hippies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Ian Fleming by Andrew Lycett
    It is a slow read. I am only on page 164 after a few weeks.
    Fleming wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Fleming wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

True but it was Roald Dahl who created “The Child Catcher”, from the film.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Gotta Get Theroux This by Louis Theroux. Good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I've read The Silent Patient, and while it keeps you interested til the end, I'm getting fed up now with psychological thrillers with the twist that you're not meant to see coming at the end.
    I have finished The Unquiet Dead by Ausma Zehanat Khan, a good engrossing mystery with a tall dark handsome laconic policeman hero with a female partner. He is still in love with his dead seven years wife and the partner has problems with her parents. Set in Canada.
    The surprising plot detail about this novel is that it revolves around the war in Yugoslavia in the first half of 1990s.
    Surprising because that war very rarely gets a mention these days, it seems like a forgotten war, or is it just me? Probably.
    It brought back to me the awfulness of it. I remember watching the news on TV of people dodging sniper bullets as they tried to cross the street, and the many reports of genocide and rape, and the pits full of bodies. It all came down it seems to religion, Othodox against Muslim and I wonder how the people have managed to put it behind them. It's like it has been buried.
    The other thing that struck me was the way the character was a good man, a devout muslim whose actions are guided by his religion. And I thought 'would it be the same if he was a devout Catholic , who popped into Mass before heading to the police station'? It isn't very common is it, unless it's Fr. Browne?
    Anyway I enjoyed the book, good story beautifully written.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Daphne du Maurier - Rebecca.
    Around 100 pages on, I know that the narrator is not used to "the ways of the world", but her constant shyness, hiding away, I'm not good for this or that is annoying me.
    I meant to read it for so long, but it feels like a let down. Hope it gets better.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished Blindboy's new book and really enjoyed, some really bizarre stories in there, the one with the app that records dreams sounds like something out of Black Mirror, real David Lynch vibes off some of the stories, pretty funny in places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Peter Boylan- In the shadow of the Eighth.

A very interesting read about women's health services in Ireland. Astonishing really to think that in even in early 1990s sterilisation for women was banned in some of the hospitals for religious reasons never mind abortion rights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just started reading Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey. The tv show The Expanse has inspired me to read the books. A very good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Re-reading Battlefield Earth by the notorious L. Ron Hubbard,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Read Normal People in a day. It was such an absorbing read, it did very well to capture a moment in time and what is going on with people. There seemed to be quite a few characters that I could relate to or imagine quite clearly. It's a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Pre-internet connection I never realised that book was such a laughing stock as a kid, it was just such a rare treat to find a big brick of a sci-fi novel to dig into, loved every bit of it. I knew something was off about the film straight away though.

Just started American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.

It's an astonishing good read so far, absolutely gripping 80 pages in.

Opens with a mass killing at family party by Mexican cartel. Only mother + son survive+ they have to go on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

appledrop wrote: »
    Just started American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.

It's an astonishing good read so far, absolutely gripping 80 pages in.

Opens with a mass killing at family party by Mexican cartel. Only mother + son survive+ they have to go on the run.
    Good stuff thats next on the pile for me.

Thargor wrote: »
    Good stuff thats next on the pile for me.

I hope it continues to be as gripping. Dont worry I wont give anymore away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thargor wrote: »
    Pre-internet connection I never realised that book was such a laughing stock as a kid, it was just such a rare treat to find a big brick of a sci-fi novel to dig into, loved every bit of it. I knew something was off about the film straight away though.

It's excellent really, don't mind the begrudgers.

Yeah, film was a steamer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I've just started Asylum Piece by Anna Kavan, a highly regarded collection of short stories on the theme of mental health. She is compared to Kafka so I am very intrigued. I had never heard of the author till recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Barna77 wrote: »
    Around 100 pages on, I know that the narrator is not used to "the ways of the world", but her constant shyness, hiding away, I'm not good for this or that is annoying me.
    I meant to read it for so long, but it feels like a let down. Hope it gets better.

Read that a few months ago. It was a bit of a chore if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Crossroads of Twilight - the Wheel of Time book 10 by Robert Jordan. Re reading the series is such a joy because this time I know the pacing picks up after slumping a few books ago.

Crossroads of Twilight - the Wheel of Time book 10 by Robert Jordan. Re reading the series is such a joy because this time I know the pacing picks up after slumping a few books ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

The Last Drop of Blood by Graham Masterton. I've been a huge Masterton fan for years now. His horror writings are my favourite in the genre.

This particular book is crime, not horror. This is the 11th, and last, book in his "Katie Maguire" series. Katie is a high ranking member of An Garda Siochana based in Cork.

I'm not too far into it but enjoying what I've read so far. Easy enough read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Fair play to you for putting up with the series...I had to stop due to the annoying way he portrayed the women in the book...*tugs braid* ended skipping any sections with them in it and eventually gave up.

Fair play to you for putting up with the series...I had to stop due to the annoying way he portrayed the women in the book...*tugs braid* ended skipping any sections with them in it and eventually gave up.

Haha that'd be Nynaeve alright. You learn to sort of gloss over the tugs braid smooths skirts descriptive bits. On the other hand, his lengthy clothes descriptions have no doubt helped the Amazon wardrobe team immensely.

I've never read a series as rewarding as this but freely admit the pace drops in books 6-10 approx. which makes the first read very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Dracula - Bram Stoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Dracula - Bram Stoker.

A great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How did you plough through the slump? I'm halfway through The Dragon Reborn, already my mind is wandering and I know it gets worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Joel Harrington's The Faithful Executioner - partly for work, partly out of interest. It follows the life of a 16th-century professional executioner in Nuremberg, based on the journal he kept of his life and work. It's utterly grim in places, but has fascinating insights into life and society at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Barna77 wrote: »

The narrator in Rebecca is such a wet blanket that you end up agreeing with Mrs. Danvers' dislike of her. Obviously it's a product of its time but I suspect most modern readers identify far more with Rebecca than they do the narrator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement