Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Am working my way through 'Unfollow : A Journey from Hatred to Hope, leaving the Westboro Baptist Church' by Megan Phelps-Roper. A fantastic read. Have to say that Megan is a brilliant writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Lisha wrote: »
    Donna Tartt the goldfinch..

Wasn't the biggest fan of The Goldfinch, but The Secret History is one of my all time favourites! She's a super talented writer, that's for sure.

I'm rereading His Dark Materials, in anticipation of the BBC adaptation! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

voldejoie wrote: »
    Wasn't the biggest fan of The Goldfinch, but The Secret History is one of my all time favourites! She's a super talented writer, that's for sure.

I'm rereading His Dark Materials, in anticipation of the BBC adaptation! :)

Good to know. I’m enjoying it but it’s taking me forever as i find that after 20mins reading I’ve to stop.
    I’ll check out the other 2 you’ve mentioned. Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I find Donna Tartt a bit of a funny one. She's a master of characterisation but her characters are often very dislikable and because her novels are character rather than plot-driven, sometimes there's not a whole lot left when you take that away.

Absolutely 100% second the HDM recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Sarah Bradford biography of Jackie Onassis. So far 9/10. Superbly written. Only started it but didn't realise she had such a priviliged background.
    Also T Ryle Dwyer biography of de Valera. A cutting and pacy book on a dull giant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Thargor wrote: »
    The Testaments is so good, why did it have to be so short though it wont last me a weekend.

The Testaments is the best book I have read in a long time. Reading that and re-reading The Handmaid's Tale before it means it is going to be hard to follow this up with something as good.
    Berserker wrote: »
    Am working my way through 'Unfollow : A Journey from Hatred to Hope, leaving the Westboro Baptist Church' by Megan Phelps-Roper. A fantastic read. Have to say that Megan is a brilliant writer.

But perhaps this could be the perfect follow-up. Westboro Cult is a real life Gilead. Will try and get a copy of this soon and see the mentality of this cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thargor wrote: »
    The Testaments is so good, why did it have to be so short though it wont last me a weekend.

Yep I actually spaced it out + didn't let myself read it too quick. Great book + ending.

Next up is 'The Dutch house' by Ann Pattchet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I was OBSESSED with that book when I was younger. The entire original trilogy, in fact. Great movie too, in spite of Tom Cruise.

I'm another one currently reading The Secret Commonwealth. It's taking me forever, though, I started a new job last week which is unbelievably busy and demanding and I'm actually just too tired to read most evenings by the time I get to bed. Never thought I'd hear myself say that.
    Candie wrote: »
    I didn't even know it was part of a trilogy, but I'll definitely read the others.

A colleague told me I have to read The Mayfair Witches by the same author if I enjoyed IWTV, I never heard of it but I might give it a go as well. It's the right time of year for it. :)

ha! me too. all the vampire ones and all the mayfair witches ones. i would also recommend the latter to you, candie

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Mythos by Stephen Fry.

I actually enjoyed his retelling of the Greek myths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Just finished The Navigator by Clive Cussler. Quite enjoyable Indiana Jones-style adventure with a new spin on the Atlantis type legends. Didn't read any of his books before now. Def will read more of his.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    The follow up to Papillon, read it years ago. Let us know what you think when you are finished.

I liked it, not as good as Papillon but interesting to see were his life went after that, it's worth a read

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne. Started it yesterday and I can't put it down.

Also just finished Circe by Madeleine Miller. It has gotten rave reviews but I was very underwhelmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

88 men & 2 women by Clinton T Duffy

stories from Death Row as told by San Quentin warden. Grim but fascinating.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Re-reading Buried Alive: The Biography of Janis Joplin by Myra Friedman.

I first read this book, which was originally my older sister’s, about 25 years ago. It is a fantastic read about Janis Joplin, one of the most extraordinary female rockers in history. Born the exact same day as my late mother.

Joplin lived a very complex, unstable and troubled life, and only recorded four full studio albums in the late 1960s, but she was a tour de force of raw vocal power and emotion and a huge influence on women in rock and pop music who came after her. Sadly lost to heroin addiction and alcoholism at just 27 years of age in 1970. There has never been anyone in music like her since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Just finished The Navigator by Clive Cussler. Quite enjoyable Indiana Jones-style adventure with a new spin on the Atlantis type legends. Didn't read any of his books before now. Def will read more of his.
    I read a bunch of them as a teenager. They're a bit formulaic, and there are some odd quirks to them like the author cameos and the resolute lack of swearing, but they're paced well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Kate Mulgrew's second memoir How To Forget, a really beautiful book about caring for her parents in their final days. Well worth a read whether you're a fan of the actress or not (I am.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Traesure Islands, tax havens and the men who stole the world by Nicholas Shaxson. About off shore bank accounts and tax avoidance by individuals, companies and criminals. Only a few pages in and Irelands already had a few mentions

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I've finished my goodreads challenge of 30 books in a year (not counting rereads). From the first to the last:

Winter Term at Malory Towers by Pamela Cox
    The Third Form at St. Clare's by Pamela Cox
    Skulduggery Pleasant: Last Stand of Dead Men by Derek Landy
    The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
    Eric by Terry Pratchett
    Skulduggery Pleasant: The Dying of the Light by Derek Landy
    Skulduggery Pleasant: Armagedon Outta Here by Derek Landy
    The Effigy Engine by Scott Lynch
    In The Stacks by Scott Lynch
    The Binding by Bridget Collins
    The Burning Page by Genevieve Cogman
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik
    The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
    Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Mongomery
    Turtles All The Way Down by John Green
    The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
    The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James
    The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman
    Circe by Madeline Miller
    Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
    World War Z by Max Brooks
    The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School by Kim Newman
    Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend
    The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
    A Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson
    Skulduggery Pleasant: Resurrection by Derek Landy
    First Test by Tamora Pierce
    The Superior Spider-Man: No Escape
    Teen Titans GO! The Beast Boy Who Cried Wolf
    Big Jim: Jim Larkin and the 1913 Lockout

My favourites were Circe, Nevermoor, Anne of Green Gables, and the Skulduggery books, while my least favourite were The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and World War Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I've finished my goodreads challenge of 30 books in a year (not counting rereads). From the first to the last:

Winter Term at Malory Towers by Pamela Cox
    The Third Form at St. Clare's by Pamela Cox
    Skulduggery Pleasant: Last Stand of Dead Men by Derek Landy
    The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
    Eric by Terry Pratchett
    Skulduggery Pleasant: The Dying of the Light by Derek Landy
    Skulduggery Pleasant: Armagedon Outta Here by Derek Landy
    The Effigy Engine by Scott Lynch
    In The Stacks by Scott Lynch
    The Binding by Bridget Collins
    The Burning Page by Genevieve Cogman
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik
    The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
    Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Mongomery
    Turtles All The Way Down by John Green
    The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
    The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James
    The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman
    Circe by Madeline Miller
    Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
    World War Z by Max Brooks
    The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School by Kim Newman
    Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend
    The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
    A Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson
    Skulduggery Pleasant: Resurrection by Derek Landy
    First Test by Tamora Pierce
    The Superior Spider-Man: No Escape
    Teen Titans GO! The Beast Boy Who Cried Wolf
    Big Jim: Jim Larkin and the 1913 Lockout

My favourites were Circe, Nevermoor, Anne of Green Gables, and the Skulduggery books, while my least favourite were The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and World War Z.

Anne of Green Gables ..that takes me back. I've read the masked city too. The others not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I loved World War Z, I've read it a few times. In fact, I'm currently re-reading The Zombie Survival Guide.

I finished The Secret Commonwealth on Sunday. Found it a bit of a slog at times, not because it was bad but because it was so dark and depressing. Almost nihilistic at times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

anne of green gables! i read all the sequels as well.

was malory towers the one where they forcibly stole the pocket money off all the kids. i always got angry at that

God, I loved Malory Towers. Chalet School was better though. I loved all those books, and not just because I liked how all the spines matched on the shelves (I had a bit of a thing for complete sets!).

Real boarding school never lived up to the fictional ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

3rd year anniversary for when I started Alan Moore's epic 'Jerusalem' so I'm starting it again. Fantastic magical wintertime read. Audiobook is also brilliant so I'm going to mix a bit of both.
    Fantastic tack.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Mythos by Stephen Fry.

I actually enjoyed his retelling of the Greek myths.

I’m thinking of getting this, just finished the brilliant 4 book Napoleon/Wellington series by Simon Scarrow, although I was a bit disappointed in the ending,
    was hoping Napoleon might have swung it ��

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Candie wrote: »
    God, I loved Malory Towers. Chalet School was better though. I loved all those books, and not just because I liked how all the spines matched on the shelves (I had a bit of a thing for complete sets!).

Real boarding school never lived up to the fictional ones!

I was only able to read one of the Chalet books, the one with a kid named Jack and her sister go.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón on holidays last week. Thoroughly enjoyed it. One of those books that really makes you want to visit the setting of the book (Barcelona in this case)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Just finished Patrick O'Brian's "The Mauritius Command" and am about to pick up Bernard Cornwell's latest "Sword of Kings". What will Uhtred get up to now? How many priests will he kill, how many oaths will he swear? I'm about to find out.

I have read a few of the Uhtred books, just ordered the 1st 5 books in the Sharpe series after watching the 1st season on tv. Hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

eviltwin wrote: »
    The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne. Started it yesterday and I can't put it down.

Also just finished Circe by Madeleine Miller. It has gotten rave reviews but I was very underwhelmed.

The hearts invisible furies is possibly the worst book Ivey read in the last ten years...so I’m interested to see if your opinion will change by the time you finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier, wounded Civil War soldier makes his way home across the South as the North closes in, cant put it down, amazing writing. Never saw the film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Going through the Hitchhiker's trilogy for the second time, because it is so hysterical and I'm afraid that I might have missed some jokes the first time round. Every time I am in a restaurant and order a steak, this scene comes to mind:
    The gang are in the restaurant and the waitor arrives and says "Would you like to see the menu?" he said, "or would you like meet the Dish of the Day?"
    "That's cool," said Zaphod, "we'll meet the meat."
    Then a large cow approached the table and explained the various parts of its body available for consumption.

Besides the general hilarity of this scene, there is also the philosophical questions about meat eating that could be asked (but not to the cow).
    That's the thing about Hitchhikers; it's very funny and thought-provoking at the same time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement