Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just finished What Alice Forgot, by Liane Moriarty.
    It was good, but the ending was a little bit predictable which was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Just finished Robert Harris the second sleep, an intriguing idea but the book wanders off a bit at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Gazzy14

"The war of the end of the world" by Mario Vargas Llosa. Half way through (It's chunky!) and it's fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thargor wrote: »
    Yes 11/22/63 was good actually forgot about that. Mr Mercedes I cringed my way through, it was such common trash compared to Kings glory days.

His sons novels I dont even look at anymore, they are absolutely dire.

I enjoyed Mr Mercedes but for some reason the disclaimer at the very end of the book really, really annoyed me. Especially as it not really needed as a plot device.

I'm halfway through the Tattoist of Auschwitz but I'm struggling to get through it.
    I've parked it for now for The Night Boat from Tangiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

razorblunt wrote: »
    I enjoyed Mr Mercedes but for some reason the disclaimer at the very end of the book really, really annoyed me. Especially as it not really needed as a plot device.

I'm halfway through the Tattoist of Auschwitz but I'm struggling to get through it.

I really enjoyed the tattooist of Auschwitz. Read it in two days I think(which is very good for me)

Just finished book 7 in the Lottie Parker series by Patricia Gibney. Easy enough read and back to form after a somewhat suspect book 6.

Next up is Slasher by Hunter Shea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Re-reading La Belle Sauvage in anticipation of the new Philip Pullman book...! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Gazzy14 wrote: »
    "The war of the end of the world" by Mario Vargas Llosa. Half way through (It's chunky!) and it's fascinating.
    Oh I read it years and years ago, and loved it at the time !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

"Rubicon" by Tom Holland - the story of the end of the Roman Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Gazzy14 wrote: »

I just finished this book. It took me forever (I was reading in Spanish), but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Very very enjoyable book, some great characters. He's so good at setting up scenes, I could vividly picture myself sitting in that ferry terminal. Gorrion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

crushproof wrote: »

Very very enjoyable book, some great characters. He's so good at setting up scenes, I could vividly picture myself sitting in that ferry terminal. Gorrion!

I tried and I tried I just couldn't get into it (or finish it)....
    I just got distracted and confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

elvis by albert goldman.

i read a lot about elvis, this is one of the ones that seems economical with the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

4Ad wrote: »
    I tried and I tried I just couldn't get into it (or finish it)....
    I just got distracted and confused...

I'm loving it, the humour, the underlying sadness of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Fleishman Is In Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner. Sweet baby Jesus but it bored the absolute life out of me. I got less than half way through and I gave up. Life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

"Barking to the choir". It's about former gang members and radical compassion. Interesting so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

dougm1970 wrote: »
    elvis by albert goldman.

i read a lot about elvis, this is one of the ones that seems economical with the truth.

It can be difficult to find a really good Elvis bio. I am interested in reading some good ones that focus on his music and musical influences. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Beartown by Fredrik Backman

Well worth a read

"Barking to the choir". It's about former gang members and radical compassion. Interesting so far.

Sounds interesting alright.

Just finished The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. Enjoyed it a lot but don't feel it matched up to THT.

Although I loved
    the Aunt Lydia sections, it fleshed out that terrifying character in a satisfying way.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

It can be difficult to find a really good Elvis bio. I am interested in reading some good ones that focus on his music and musical influences. Any recommendations?

How about either of the two books by Peter Guralnick: "Last Train to Memphis" & "Careless Love". First one is particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I just finished re-read of American Gods. Heading down to the bookshop shortly for the new volume in The Book of Dust and then I shan't be seen again for the rest of the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I just finished re-read of American Gods. Heading down to the bookshop shortly for the new volume in The Book of Dust and then I shan't be seen again for the rest of the weekend.

I have that in my “to read” pile. Is it worth skipping to the top?

What about the tv show? That any use?

The tide is turning…

I have that in my “to read” pile. Is it worth skipping to the top?

What about the tv show? That any use?

Definitely skip it to the top, it's excellent. As is the tv show but I'd leave that til you've read the book, otherwise you'll just spend the entirety of every episode going "What the actual fcuk???"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I read Layover in Dubai by Dan Fesperman.

It was rather good surprisingly. I visited Dubai many times and it really enhanced the descriptions in the novel.

I never saw one of those work camps though, but the way he described it and how desolate the main character is, is really good.

gutenberg wrote: »
    Re-reading La Belle Sauvage in anticipation of the new Philip Pullman book...! :D

Forever more to be thought of as "La Belle Sausage" by anyone who's read it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I'm ploughing through a lot of Penguin Shorts that up until now have been ornaments on a shelf. The Breakthrough by Daphne du Maurier was wonderfully atmospheric and a bit creepy. Reading The Figure in the Carpet by Henry James now. It's all very clever!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

From Granite to Sea
    Folklore of Cornwall

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Words Of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

Just finished the third book in the Soldier Son Series, Renegade Magic, by Robin Hobb. I found it difficult to follow
    when Nevare was never and not the Solder Son
    so that was a bit confusing but I enjoyed the series otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

peter gurnaleck has two great books on elvis...which discusses an almost week by week account of his life. ...its comes across as more factual than most i read, but of course i wasnt there :) ....it gives good detail on recording sessions, and does mention various musical influences....from mario lanza to tom jones performances which really caught his attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just finished Last Ones Left Alive by Sarah Davis-Goff. A post-apocalyptic zombie type book, but based in Ireland. Not my usual sort of thing, but I quite enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Speaking of "Rubicon", my local barber keeps a shelf of books for sale at €1 each, proceeds to charity. On Saturday he had a copy of Caesar's accounts of his campaigns in Gaul. This particular copy was printed in 1953. No-brainer purchase...

41kmYodfVkL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement