Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    The hearts invisible furies is possibly the worst book Ivey read in the last ten years...so I’m interested to see if your opinion will change by the time you finish it.

I will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just started Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo (Booker Prize winner). Really liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Picked up Americanah (Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie) and The Idiot (Elif Batuman) the other day. Started with Americanah, knew from reading the first page I was going to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm currently reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris and I'm enjoying it. It's not as good as The Boy Who Followed His Father into Auschwitz but it's good for a fictional interpretation of the first hand testimony of Lale Sokolov.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I've started Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've started Under The Eye Of The Clock, by Christopher Nolan, recommended by someone here ages ago. I'm really enjoying it so far - something completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

French philosophy of the 20th century. Was going to read the Ireland one but it's only 2 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I didn't expect this to be as good a read as it is, but I've really enjoyed it and saving the last few pages for bed tonight

495270.jpg

Paddy is a Tallaght lad from a hard background, a broken family and troubled teen years who took up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu then eventually MMA, which led to a UFC contract.

You don't have to be a UFC fanboy or even interested in MMA to really enjoy this book.

Recommended light reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Totto-chan by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Switching between the Malazan fantasy series and the Expanse sci-fi series.

Malazan is quite possibly one of the finest series of books (so far) that I've read. It's intense, it's a 'million miles an hour and if you can't keep up, your loss' style of writing. It assumes you're able to keep things sorted in your head and as a result it's very rewarding if you can. Can't recommend enough.

Expanse is slower but hard enough sci-fi. Doesn't hand hold but it's not in the same league as Malazan. Really enjoying it though. Mainly so I can go and watch the TV series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

The Beekeeper of Aleppo. Tough enough read at times.

I think anyone on boards who goes on about asylum seekers 'sponging off the state' should read this book + they might cop on then + realise the hardship people go through to make it to Ireland/UK.

appledrop wrote: »
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo. Tough enough read at times.

I think anyone on boards who goes on about asylum seekers 'sponging off the state' should read this book + they might cop on then + realise the hardship people go through to make it to Ireland/UK.

Cheers, just got it on Kindle for four quid.

I've seen displaced people during a number of tours of duty in Lebanon. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ihatewhahabies

Hidden history. The secret origins of the first world war. By Gerry Docherty and James McGregor

One fact blew my mind. Seemingly the Larne and Howth gun running smuggling operations sourced all the arms from one german arms dealer. The reason stated for this was that both the UVF and "IRB/IRA were heavily infiltrated and the British establishment that were gumming to blame the Germans for starting a conflict within Ireland/UK. They never needed it as Germany was successfully blamed for invading Belgium hence the start of WW1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I went back an finished The Tattoist of Auschwitz after someone on her said they enjoyed it.
    It is a lovely back in fairness. It finishes so brilliantly.
    I think initially I had just gotten back into reading so found it a bit hard to bite into but I'm glad I did.

Followed it on by trying to now read as many classics as I can.
    Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird and I loved it, it's absolutely fantastic.

On to 1984 now and I'll think I'll then double back to Go Set a Watchman.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I went back an finished The Tattoist of Auschwitz after someone on her said they enjoyed it.
    It is a lovely back in fairness. It finishes so brilliantly.
    I think initially I had just gotten back into reading so found it a bit hard to bite into but I'm glad I did.

Followed it on by trying to now read as many classics as I can.
    Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird and I loved it, it's absolutely fantastic.

On to 1984 now and I'll think I'll then double back to Go Set a Watchman.

To Kill A Mockingbird is my favourite book I think. Adore it and get immersed each time I read it.

optogirl wrote: »
    To Kill A Mockingbird is my favourite book I think. Adore it and get immersed each time I read it.

One of my fav's too. I've read it a number of times and I don't rule out reading it another few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Berserker wrote: »
    Am working my way through 'Unfollow : A Journey from Hatred to Hope, leaving the Westboro Baptist Church' by Megan Phelps-Roper. A fantastic read. Have to say that Megan is a brilliant writer.

Anyone else reading this? The Phelps-Roper family are incredible. The history of the family pre-"God Hates" was news to me. Steve Drain comes across very badly in the book. Divisive figure within the church from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

optogirl wrote: »

I think it's probably my favourite now too. Even convinced the wife to re-read it.
    She covered it for the Leaving so it was analysed to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

12 Years a Slave by Jeremy Northup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

The wire in the blood Val McDermid catch a killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

"The Devil's slave"
    By Tracey Borman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The Danish Girl

I've been trying to read LGTBQ fiction the last year and really enjoying this. The movie was good, but the book is so much more immersive. A really lovely read.

Just finished Codename Villanelle by Luke Jennings and about to start No Tomorrow. These books were the basis for the hit TV show Killing Eve. The books are fairly brief with the first in the series being a mere 216 pages long.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm reading Masters of the Air by Donald Miller at the moment. It's about the US Eight Air Force in Europe during World War 2. It is getting the Band of Brothers treatment from HBO, Spielberg and Tom Hanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm reading The Prison Doctor, a memoir by Dr Amanda Browne with some god-awful ghost writer. One of the worst written books I've read in a long time, however I'll keep reading just because the subject matter is interesting. Would not recommend.

I recently read Portia de Rossi's memoir, Unbearable Lightness. Now that was an excellent book, and as someone who has suffered with mental health issues and rock-bottom self-esteem, I actually found it quite therapeutic and inspirational.

caboodle competition is back https://caboodle.nationalbooktokens.com/hiddenbooks/

fiendish as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just started 'The Nickel Boys' by Colson Whitehead.

The underground railroad is one of my all time favourite books so it will have a lot to live up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I started IQ84 by Haruki Murakami the other day. Finding it very slow to get going but that may be because I'm reading it in very small fits and starts. Combination of being overworked and overtired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Finished madness of crowds, excellent.

• Advertisement

I've started into The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement