Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

I'm nearly finished 'Moonglow' by Michael Chabon. A really enjoyable read, mixing up fiction with historical facts (Operation Paperclip, Wernher von Braun). I picked it up after reading his novel 'Wonder Boys'. I will be reading more of his books.
    Reading this myself really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Just started reading The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris. Watched the movie countless times but the book is even better with so much more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    The Institute by Stephen King, 25 pages in and enjoying it immensely.
    Let us know how it goes please. Although his recent stuff has been so abysmal Ive lost all faith in him nearly. Duma Key, Mr Mercedes etc, how has he gotten so bad?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thargor wrote: »
    Let us know how it goes please. Although his recent stuff has been so abysmal Ive lost all faith in him nearly. Duma Key, Mr Mercedes etc, how has he gotten so bad?

I enjoyed The Outsider

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I enjoyed The Outsider
    Eh? Never heard of that one and I read goodreads every day at work practically, thats weird. Sounds alright actually Ill keep an eye out for it:
    When an eleven-year-old boy is found murdered in a town park, reliable eyewitnesses undeniably point to the town's popular Little League coach, Terry Maitland, as the culprit. DNA evidence and fingerprints confirm the crime was committed by this well-loved family man. Horrified by the brutal killing, Detective Ralph Anderson, whose own son was once coached by Maitland, orders the suspect to be arrested in a public spectacle. But Maitland has an alibi. And further research confirms he was indeed out of town that day.As Anderson and the District Attorney trace the clues, the investigation expands from Ohio to Texas. And as horrifying answers begin to emerge, so King's propulsive story of almost unbearable suspense kicks into high gear.Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy but there is one rock-hard fact, as unassailable as gravity: a man cannot be in two places at the same time. Can he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Needed some easy reading just finished Shadow by James Swallow fantastic easy read would be good long distance flight book as it moves quite fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Just started reading The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris. Watched the movie countless times but the book is even better with so much more detail.

If you're into serial killer novels, try The Poet by Michael Connelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pratchett1234

Any Pratchett fans living in Ireland? I'm new to this forum and am thinking of going to a Pratchett event this Saturday in Trinity. Colin Smyth, Pratchett's agent is being interviewed. Is anyone else going to it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm off to Book Station to pick up The Testaments and The Institute. Bit of a Sophie's choice as to which to read first but I suspect Margaret will wing it. I did my undergrad Literature dissertation on her work.

Oh, i must get these

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bluewolf wrote: »
    Oh, i must get these

Finished both now. The Institute was... grand. The plot reminded me of a James Patterson story from waaaaay back in the day when he was just a bad writer with some good ideas as opposed to a total hack. King, obviously, did far superior things with his book but it was still just a bit, I dunno, lacking? He's an absolute master at characterisation but I just didn't feel engaged with anyone in this.

So, to The Testaments. Full disclosure; I 100% idolise Margaret Atwood. As I said, I did my Literature thesis on her dystopian work, largely because of the effect The Handmaid's Tale had on me when I first read it. I've met her, she's tweeted me and the woman is a literary Titan and all-round legend, basically. I was VERY excited about this and have been for the two years since she announced its publication.

First proviso: anyone attempting to read this who has only seen the tv adaptation of THT should be displayed on the Wall.

Second proviso: it's *ever* so slightly slow to start. But then rollocks along at a tremendous pace before coming to an extremely Atwood-esque ambivalent ending. That doesn't bother me in the least, it's what she does and it's because she doesn't patronise her readers. If you like a very definitive, squared-off "and this is what happened to everyone" finale and epilogue, you'll be disappointed. But if you're an Atwood fan, you'll love it. It's already started the rounds of my sisters but I can't wait to get it back and read it again.

In the meantime, I haven't a rasher's what to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

'Saving Buddy, about a girl who finds an abandoned Staffie. nice story easy read[relaxing]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm still enjoying it, don't get much time to read so only about 60 pages in. Looking forward to seeing how it develops. I still enjoy his books but have to say his older stuff like Salem's Lot, Christine, Misery, for example are better than his newer books. The only King book I had to put down was Dreamcatcher, I thought it was dire. I was so disappointed. I might try it again some time. His son Joe Hill is also a writer and I can highly recommend his book NOS4A2.

Edit to add, The Outsider was very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Finished both now. The Institute was... grand. The plot reminded me of a James Patterson story from waaaaay back in the day when he was just a bad writer with some good ideas as opposed to a total hack. King, obviously, did far superior things with his book but it was still just a bit, I dunno, lacking? He's an absolute master at characterisation but I just didn't feel engaged with anyone in this.

So, to The Testaments. Full disclosure; I 100% idolise Margaret Atwood. As I said, I did my Literature thesis on her dystopian work, largely because of the effect The Handmaid's Tale had on me when I first read it. I've met her, she's tweeted me and the woman is a literary Titan and all-round legend, basically. I was VERY excited about this and have been for the two years since she announced its publication.

First proviso: anyone attempting to read this who has only seen the tv adaptation of THT should be displayed on the Wall.

Second proviso: it's *ever* so slightly slow to start. But then rollocks along at a tremendous pace before coming to an extremely Atwood-esque ambivalent ending. That doesn't bother me in the least, it's what she does and it's because she doesn't patronise her readers. If you like a very definitive, squared-off "and this is what happened to everyone" finale and epilogue, you'll be disappointed. But if you're an Atwood fan, you'll love it. It's already started the rounds of my sisters but I can't wait to get it back and read it again.

In the meantime, I haven't a rasher's what to read.

I'm a fan and don't massively like the the tv show. I've read her other post apocalyptic ones, they were good. i'll nab this one next.
    that's so cool you've met her! what was she like?

I read 'only ever yours' recently, you might like it? louise o'neill

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm a fan and don't massively like the the tv show. I've read her other post apocalyptic ones, they were good. i'll nab this one next.
    that's so cool you've met her! what was she like?

She's a slightly aloof but also affable little old lady who looks like your friend's grandmother but who has this incredibly acerbic intellect and the entire time you speak to her you just kind of keep thinking "God I hope she doesn't think I'm stupid".

I didn't particularly rate the tv series either. First few episodes were ok but imo it didn't even begin to depict how horrible a place Gilead is/was.
    Bluewolf wrote:
    I read 'only ever yours' recently, you might like it? louise o'neill

That's been on my list for a while, just haven't picked it up yet. Incidentally, The Surface Breaks, which is her retelling of The Little Mermaid is well worth a read. It's technically YA but it has some interesting themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I had a long flight recently so I watched the entirety of HBO's Chernobyl series. Harrowing, yet really well done.

When I got back, it inspired me to pick up Svetlana Alexievich's Chernobyl Prayer, which I have owned for ages but hadn't read. It's a series of 'monologues' by people affected by the disaster. All of them are affecting, with some truly disturbing. I've just finished a series of monologues by people who have returned to live in the exclusion zone, which are fascinating.

I don't know if I'll be able to read it non-stop until it's finished, as it is quite tough going, but for the moment I'm finding it compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Chernobyl Prayer is a really tough but ultimately worthwhile read.

First 100 pages is the toughest. I had to put it down at one point after one story.

But there was nothing as bad in it after that.

She's a slightly aloof but also affable little old lady who looks like your friend's grandmother but who has this incredibly acerbic intellect and the entire time you speak to her you just kind of keep thinking "God I hope she doesn't think I'm stupid".

I didn't particularly rate the tv series either. First few episodes were ok but imo it didn't even begin to depict how horrible a place Gilead is/was.

That's been on my list for a while, just haven't picked it up yet. Incidentally, The Surface Breaks, which is her retelling of The Little Mermaid is well worth a read. It's technically YA but it has some interesting themes.
    that sounds like a brilliant experience! i must keep an eye out if she's here again.

i'm going to add that to my list!
    a friend recommended 'asking for it' by her, but i think it need a break from that whole mood... although seeing it in the gaiety could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

that sounds like a brilliant experience! i must keep an eye out if she's here again.

She'll be in Galway* next year :) I'll certainly will be there, too!

*Galway is European Capital of Culture next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mr Mercedes I thought was excellent and 11/22/63 was the best work hes put out in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I recently finished The Boy Who Followed His Father into Auschwitz by Jeremy Dronfield. It truly is an astonishing story of what these men endured under Nazi occupation. I would highly recommend this book.

I also read I've Got You Under My Skin by Mary Higgins Clark.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Mr Mercedes I thought was excellent and 11/22/63 was the best work hes put out in years.
    Yes 11/22/63 was good actually forgot about that. Mr Mercedes I cringed my way through, it was such common trash compared to Kings glory days.

His sons novels I dont even look at anymore, they are absolutely dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

His sons novels I dont even look at anymore, they are absolutely dire.

To be fair, ‘Heart-Shaped Box’ is an enjoyable book.

The tide is turning…

Heart-Shaped Box is the only one of the sons' that I've read, I liked it but didn't think it was particularly stand out. I've read The Institute and felt it was like one of his earlier ones, very enjoyable but as usual with King, the ending was a little inadequate. A nice book when you're not looking for anything too challenging and just need some entertainment.

Currently reading Second-Hand Time by Literature Nobel winner Svetlana Alexievich. It's...interesting. It's also a little powdery and I hadn't realized (I bought the Kindle version) that it was over 700 pages long. I'm not sure it can hold my interest over that length, but I'll see it to the end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

"Ada Lovelace, bride of science" by Benjamin Woolley. Just started. Will report when I have a feel for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

gutenberg wrote: »
    I had a long flight recently so I watched the entirety of HBO's Chernobyl series. Harrowing, yet really well done.

When I got back, it inspired me to pick up Svetlana Alexievich's Chernobyl Prayer, which I have owned for ages but hadn't read. It's a series of 'monologues' by people affected by the disaster. All of them are affecting, with some truly disturbing. I've just finished a series of monologues by people who have returned to live in the exclusion zone, which are fascinating.

I don't know if I'll be able to read it non-stop until it's finished, as it is quite tough going, but for the moment I'm finding it compelling.

I was there last weekend. Harrowing place. They tell you the stories about the evacuation and such, but I must check out that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Chernobyl has long been on my list. For some reason the elephant's foot particularly chilled me as a child. Maybe I'm more sensitive now but I wonder if it would feel too disturbing and ghoulish to visit.

Currently reading Rebecca. Probably needs no introduction here.

Got halfway through the testaments before sleep won last night. Hooked from the very start. "i am petrified". Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mr Regal

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Just about to start reading Mario Puzo's The Godfather. I'm a big fan of the movies but never read the books so I guess this is my chance to finally get to read the novel of which the movie was based on.

The novel is my favourite of all time. Such detail, the story telling is second to none.
    Puzo is the Godfather of fiction.

I'm currently reading Gaurds Gaurds by Terry Pratchett. Found my copy of Filth by Irvine Welsh so that's next up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am reading a small book called 'Colourful Irish phrases' by Micheál Ó Conghaile.

https://www.mercierpress.ie/irish-books/colourful-irish-phrases/

The author is a native Irish speaker and collected turns of phrases in Irish and explains thier literal meaning in English, and gives an historical context.

You learn about things like an 'O'Kelly's welcome', or what it means when it is said that someone had' a stone in thier sleeve.'
    Or when someone says 'It wasn't from the wind he got it.'

There are many humourous phrases 'He'd take a drink from a pigs arse', or 'he's like a pig with a rotten potato in his mouth'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement