Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

just bought my christmas reading material "the Hunger Games" trilogy, heard they were good. gonna get "overheard in dublin" one of the days for a bit of light reading too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

just bought my christmas reading material "the Hunger Games" trilogy, heard they were good. gonna get "overheard in dublin" one of the days for a bit of light reading too

They are fantastic, if you like them you will like 'divergent'. i read the hunger games trilogy in 1 day, in less than 17 hours i found it unputdownable. I have read the trilogy 4 times since i got them a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

The Pariah by Graham Masterton and yeah I would recommend it. Can't beat a good ghost story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

About a boy - Nick Hornby. A pretty easy, feel-good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Don DeLillo - The Angel Esmeralda: Nine Stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Just finished The Truth Machine by James L Halperin
    Interesting view of the future and how an infallible truth machine improves the lives of almost everybody on the planet

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Domo230 wrote: »
    Royal assassins by Robin Hobb
    Really good fantasy series in the farseer trilogy. Currently on the 2nd one.

Possibly my favourite set of books, check out the sequel series about The Fool.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The Conquest Of Gaul by Julius Caesar. Surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

rte guide. nah Im lying, boards! - its an ebook you know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East - Robert Fisk

This will take me forever to get through, but after reading the preface I'm really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Currently rereading 'Chickenhawk' by Robert Mason. It's his account as a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam war, a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Just finished Tokyo by Mo Hayder. Was alright. A bit bizarre towards the end.

Just started The Chamber by John Grisham.

Kinda raided my Granny's bookshelf. She's into all these crime novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

just started reading a book called " Tiny footprints". It's about Ireland's tiniest babies. Had the tissues out for some stories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

cassid wrote: »
    just started reading a book called " Tiny footprints". It's about Ireland's tiniest babies. Had the tissues out for some stories.

it was about the TINY BABIES?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Re-Reading a book called `The Fourth Bomb`first and so far only book by Daniel Obachike..chilling reading !!..its his account of his experience on 7/7..and what then happened to him !!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Just started The Liar by Stephen Fry, I like it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Brushing up on the bible because of the time of year.

But when I am not revering the lord I am reading "the person and the situation" a book about sociology. It started off interesting, but now its a pain in the arse. Its to academic, it not really written for the likes of thicks like me. I have 50 pages to go and I can't wait to finish it.

Its a stupid quirk about me, if I start a book I have to finish it, its a weird attitude, I really don't understand that neurosis in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

griffin100 wrote: »
    Currently rereading 'Chickenhawk' by Robert Mason. It's his account as a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam war, a great read.

I was allowed to give up Irish as a subject in secondary school and Chickenhawk along with most of the Sven Hassel war books and Salem's Lot and The Stand were some of the books I read during my Irish classes when all the rest were studying some God-awful crap by Peig Sayers.

I bought a Kindle about two weeks ago and the first thing I read on it was a short story by H.P Lovecraft called The Festival which rather appropriately is set during "Yuletide". Currently I'm reading Under The Dome by Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

David Gemmell's Waylander. Excellent fantasy novel. Brilliant characters.

Have been meaning to check those book out,

will do soon for sure yesh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

The_Thing wrote: »
    I was allowed to give up Irish as a subject in secondary school and Chickenhawk along with most of the Sven Hassel war books and Salem's Lot and The Stand were some of the books I read during my Irish classes when all the rest were studying some God-awful crap by Peig Sayers.

I bought a Kindle about two weeks ago and the first thing I read on it was a short story by H.P Lovecraft called The Festival which rather appropriately is set during "Yuletide". Currently I'm reading Under The Dome by Stephen King.

How did you manage to get out of Irish? Off topic, I know, but curious to know how you pulled that off.
    The Stand is a favorite of mine,brings back memories of a young housetypeb lying out in a field on a warm summers day when I thought happiness was a great book and a cigarette-ah to be young again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Started reading Mícheál de Barra's An Bóthar go Santiago yesterday morning. I bought it in early 2010, before I walked the Camino de Santiago that summer but only now am I getting around to reading it, largely because I'm going to walk another Camino next summer. It's beautifully written and, having now walked it, I'm agreeing/disagreeing with him as I read it and happily remembering parts of rural Spain I had forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just Follow The Floodlights!

The definitive guide to League of Ireland football by author Brian Kennedy. Chronicles the highs and lows of every senior Irish club to ever compete in our domestic league. From the amazing European scalps claimed by our plucky underdogs to some of our biggest clubs facing extinction,this book has it all. Packed with excellent stats and brilliant memories.

A must for any League of Ireland fan or anyone even curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'KENNY EGAN - MY STORY'.

Kenneth Egan's autobiography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Dreams from My Father, Barack Obama's autobiography

Got 'An Idiot Abroad' for xmas, it was an ok read, a few funny bits here and there.

I do like Karl Pilkington, 'Happy Slapped By a Jellyfish' was good, and i Hhave 'An |Idiot Abroad ii' on order.

They are the only humour books i have read. Got a easons gift voucher for xmas so im planning on buying another 10 or so books next week.... cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Harry Potter and the goblet of fire... have read the others and loved them, but i just can't seem to get into this one.. I'm only starting it though, so that could change yet!

Just read Ashes by Lisa bick, Enjoyed it, will read the next instalment when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭tough__cookie

I just finished We Need to Talk About Kevin. Going mad that its over!! Excellent read!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind. Number 6 of the Sword of Truth series. Cannot recommend it enough. (The whole series, this particular book is annoying me) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I've just started reading "Life, Death and Hurling" by Michael Duignan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement