Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez right now. Magic realism at its finest. Pretty much the perfect book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Slattsy wrote: »
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy..

And its bloody awful. Too much time spent describing the smallest of details and not enough story time as such.
    I'll finish it all the same.

It takes a few tries, and I can understand people not liking it initially. I had to try three times before I was able to fully get it. It's one of those books that needs persistence. But, having read it a few times I fully believe that it's one of the greatest novels to ever come out of the US. Cormac McCarthy is fantastic. The character of The Judge - gotta be one of the scariest, most brilliant villains ever.

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Reading Karl Pilkington An Idiot Abroad, seriously funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Currently on its way to me is Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E Lawrence. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'm always reading more than one book at a time, right noww I'm reading analog synthesisers and cormc mc carthy's trilogy all the pretty horses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Writings from Prison by Bobby Sands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

David Gemmell's Waylander. Excellent fantasy novel. Brilliant characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I, Alex Cross by James Patterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Dubliners by James Joyce:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

North to the night by Alvah Simon. My favourite book ever. Fiction is bulls**t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Stuff about Ché

He's not as interesting as everyone makes him out to be in fairness

If its Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life it gets good in the second half, I havent read any other Che stuff but was assured at the time this was the only book I needed to read about him.

Im rereading The Astrological Diary of God by Bo Fowler very funny book and I got it on Amazon for 3pounds inc delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

Set in World War 1, ties in stories from families in Wales, America, Russia & some token Germans. Good enough read

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

The rough guide to the usa , would love to head there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

Micheal Connollys' Echo Park and Denis Lehanes' Prayers For Rain. Two great books from two brilliant authors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

and

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (Second time)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor (brother of Sinead)

Only 50 pages in but it is very well written. It is about a ship transporting Irish emigrants escaping from the famine so it's harrowing in places (this coming from someone who's favourite book is the gore soaked Blood Meridian)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Bram stoker's Dracula
    Neil Gaiman - complete Sandman series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

The Third Policeman by Flann O Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Got 'Divergent' yesterday afternoon, started it at 8pm and read it cover to cover by 1am, its a very good book, unputdownable. If you like The Hunger Games i would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Censorsh!t wrote: »

Been meaning to get this, have heard good things.
    Your thoughts on it so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Censorsh!t wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

duncan banathyne 's book from the dragons den, quiet an interesting fellow and good read

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster - Jon Krakauer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Finished Terry Pratchett's 'Snuff' yesterday and also half way through Cormac McCarthy's 'Blood Meridien' (a really uplifting read that one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Slattsy wrote: »

It's total madness, but in a great way. I really like it so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Trying to get through some classics atm, just finished 1984 by George Orwell, now onto The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgearld.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster - Jon Krakauer
    I just finished reading this, absolutely incredible story, I was close to tears on a few occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I just finished reading this, absolutely incredible story, I was close to tears on a few occasions.

Have a read of The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev, both to balance out Krakauer's guff and for the fact that it's a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Fiction: A Model World and Other Stories by Michael Chabon.

Non-Fiction: Vietnam: The Irish Experience by James Durney. It's an interesting account of Irish born soldiers that fought in the US and Australian armies in Vietnam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez right now. Magic realism at its finest. Pretty much the perfect book.

Fantastic book. I really loved it. It takes a while to get used to the characters as they all have very similar names, but just a wonderful story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement