Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Aaaah In Cold Blood, felt a little guilty that I got so much pleasure from murder....

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

I've actually never read a book at the ATM, but I can't believe so many of you have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Satts wrote: »
    Eagle In The Sky by Wibur Smith.

Ahhh Wilbur I grew up on them and they are all the same, a mans man, goes into the bush, has a native servant who is really his friend, he has a fight with some villain, he fecks his cousin and she dies of malaria and then he meets the love of his life who off course doesn't like him at first and then he becomes a millionaire plantation of mine owner and lives happily ever after

I loved them all and still read his new ones, they are kind of a males mills and boon, the perfect Cock lit.

Sorry if I ruined the ending for you, I should have used spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Around the world in 80 days at the minute. Before that it was Jekyll and Hyde, My Man Jeeves, Sherlock Holmes and Journey to the Interior of the Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I've actually never read a book at the ATM, but I can't believe so many of you have!

Quite common at Greek ATMs:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

I've just started Shakey -Neil Young's Biography by Jimmy McDonough.

It's a really, really in depth read, peppered with snippets of interviews with the man himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm rereading all of Iain M. Banks culture novels. I'm a big fan of his stuff and I highly recommend. I'm currently on Use of Weapons. It's always been one of my favorites and I'm interested to see how it compares to memory. It's kicking ass so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm toying between starting Slaughterhouse 5 or The Stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I have to read Wuthering Heights for English Lit.

I want to die. Macbeth's good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

brummytom wrote: »
    I have to read Wuthering Heights for English Lit.

I want to die. Macbeth's good though.

Are you still in school Tom? How long do they keep you in there over yonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Donnacha O' Callaghan bio. Fast paced,
    read half of it in the bath

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

strobe wrote: »
    Are you still in school Tom? How long do they keep you in there over yonder?
    My last year now, I think we go to Uni a year later over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

lewis and clarkes expedition into the unknown interior of america 1804 by stephen ambrose....breathtaking..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Don Quixote - Its not bad for a book written in the 1500s but boy is it long. The shorter stories within the novel I actually find more interesting. Sancho Panza his squire is a great character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

strobe wrote: »
    I'm toying between starting Slaughterhouse 5 or The Stand.

Ahhh dear god. You're choosing between two of my favourite books. Whichever one you choose, just remember they're both awesome. I'm reading "Less than Zero" by Brett Easton Ellis at the moment. I read "American Psycho" a few years back so it's difficult to shock me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Abi wrote: »
    Despite having bought it sometime back, I've just finished ROC's 'Nama mia'.

I'm now reading your all of your posts in random D4 and 'ah jaysus how'ye' accents.
    Disppointing.

Loike.

Reading High Fidelity atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I reading Exploring English I, anyone here old enough to remember that. It was the short story text for the Inter Cert for years. It was reissued recently and I couldn't resist it when I seen it the Book Club that comes to our clinic. Fcuk, I wouldn't go near it twenty five years ago, but I'm loving it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

The damage done by Warren Fellows

Also "Private Dancer" by Stephen Leather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Wordgloss: A Cultural Lexicon - Jim O'Donnell

Retromania: Pop Culture's Addiction to its Own Past - Simon Reynolds

Just Follow the Floodlights! The Complete History of League of Ireland Football - Brian Kennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Just started Cross Country by James Patterson, can't beat a bit of JP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

At the moment I'm reading Julian Assange the unauthorised biography. It's really interesting.

Finished the Steve Jobs biography last week. I've never come away from a book finding a character so unlikeable. The book ends poorly too, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

At the moment I'm reading Julian Assange the unauthorised biography. It's really interesting.

Thinking I might get that. Worth reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

'The Last Coyote' by Michael Connelly. I've really gotten into Connelly lately I'd highly recommend him to anyone who likes crime/legal fiction.

I have the whole collection of Connelly's books. I would advise starting at the beginning and work your way through them in order coz it's great following a character through his life. I remember being like :eek: when I got to the Lincoln Lawyer. Love that kind of thing!

I'm currently in a Patricia Cornwell mode. Book of choice presently is Point of Origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The Secret History of the IRA. I'm about half way through it, and it's pretty interesting at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Thinking I might get that. Worth reading?

What I've read so far is good if a bit self indulgent. It is worth getting tho

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Mars Bar wrote: »
    'The Last Coyote' by Michael Connelly. I've really gotten into Connelly lately I'd highly recommend him to anyone who likes crime/legal fiction.

I have the whole collection of Connelly's books. I would advise starting at the beginning and work your way through them in order coz it's great following a character through his life. I remember being like :eek: when I got to the Lincoln Lawyer. Love that kind of thing!

I'm currently in a Patricia Cornwell mode. Book of choice presently is Point of Origin.

Hi guys, I love Connelly and Cornwell too, Point of Origin was about the fire on the ranch wasn't it? Anyway, can I recommend another three of that ilk if you haven't already tried them - Tess Gerritson is amazing, her books cannot be put down. Same with Karen Rose whose books you can pick up in Tesco and lastly Richard Montanari, absolutely all top notch murder/crime authors.

Happy reading :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

About a third of the way through "Stranger in a Strange Land" , finding it very hard to put down - first sci fi book I've read that is really living up to the hype. Next up is Ender's Game..

In line with previous opinions I didn't think much of 11/22/63 either, not a bad page turner but a bit unfulfilling. Preferred Under the dome and also much preferred full dark no stars which was really vintage King.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

About to start We Need To Talk About Kevin. Finished Room last week, it was a brilliant read, but a bit tough going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

About to start We Need To Talk About Kevin. Finished Room last week, it was a brilliant read, but a bit tough going

I seen the film, I didn't think it was that good, but I believe it was a great book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Back to reading American Psycho, class book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement