Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain John Sullivan R.I.P.

Options
  • 07-09-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

John Sullivan,helicopter Captain,formerly of Premier Helicopters and Celtic sadly passed away last week.

A true gentleman,I thought some of you might be interested in reading below of the decoration he received for his actions in combat.

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.

Place of Birth: Ireland, Tralee, County Kerry

AWARDS AND CITATIONS

medals_dist_svc_cross_army_100x200.jpg
    Distinguished Service Cross

See more recipients of this award

Awarded for actions during the Vietnam War

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918 (amended by act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Second Lieutenant (Infantry) John I. O'Sullivan, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with 174th Aviation company, 14th Aviation Battalion, Americal Division. Second Lieutenant O'Sullivan distinguished himself while serving as fire team leader of a helicopter gunship team flying in support of allied operations near Quang Ngai. Although under a continuous hail of enemy automatic weapons fire, Lieutenant O'Sullivan led an aggressive attack on three companies of enemy soldiers that were entrenched in a Vietnamese village. Repeatedly exposing his aircraft to intense enemy automatic weapons fire, he eliminated four enemy soldiers and destroyed two enemy bunkers. His aircraft was then shot down by intense enemy fire as he descended to a low altitude to provide cover fire for another downed friendly helicopter. After surveying the damage to his downed ship, Lieutenant O'Sullivan returned to the cockpit and flew the crippled craft to a nearby air strip. He then obtained another gunship and returned to the area to take command of the fire team. While covering the recovery of the downed helicopter, he eliminated five more of the enemy. Responding to an urgent appeal for assistance from another allied unit, he again braved intense fire as he assaulted three enemy machine gun positions. During this encounter, his gunship was damaged by enemy fire. Undaunted, he continued his aggressive assault, destroyed the enemy machine gun positions, and completely routed the enemy force. Second Lieutenant O'Sullivan extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
    General Orders: Headquarters, U.S. Army, Vietnam, General Orders No. 3869 (August 21, 1970)

Action Date: 1-Apr-70

Service: Army

Company: 174th Aviation Company

Battalion: 14th Aviation Battalion

Division: Americal Division

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

I believe that's one of many decorations he received during his military career.
    I certainly enjoyed my flying with him. He had a natural ability where heli flying was concerned, engine off autos, when you were allowed do stuff like that were fun:eek:

A true gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 katefromkerry

Thank you for remembering John

We were cousins
    John's Mum and my Dad were first cousins
    I took great pride in reading all about his U.S. Army career, passed along to
    me many years ago by his late Grandmother Nora
    She was so proud of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

RIP a truly great aviator

Heard of him via a family member mentioning the helicopter business in passing, had no idea he was a decorated war hero, shocked to hear of his passing. Very much regret not following through with helicopter lessons, by the sounds of it I would have trained with a legend.

RIP sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 droicheadatha

There's a book called "Vietnam: The Irish Experience" by James Durney which chronicles Major O'Sullivan's exploits and many awards, along with those of other Irish citizens who served in Vietnam.

In Vietnam, John O'Sullivan was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, 6 Distinguished Flying Crosses, three Silver Stars, three Bronze Stars for valour, five Purple Hearts and forty-two air medals.

He accrued 1700 hours over 1900 combat missions, during which he was shot out of the air nineteen times. In 1970 he was awarded the the Army Aviator of the Year award, and was one of the most decorated soldiers of the Vietnam conflict.

I knew John briefly growing up near Termonfeckin in Louth in the late 80s/early 90s, and regularly saw him fly to and from his Cartown home- sparking an interest that lead me to become a pilot.

John struck me as a man of great character (and this was before we knew any of his military history). He was friendly with my father, another Irish Vietnam veteran living near Drogheda, who informed me of his passing yesterday.

One of the aviation all time greats- he will be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sullyschoice

I am told that I am related to John O Sullivan. I uncovered this information while researching my family tree. I am told Johns father may have moved in to Tralee from Curraheen, a townland 5 miles out the Dingle road. If anyone can confirm the connection or fill in the gap I would be very grateful. His uncle owned the Castle Bar on Rock Street, Tralee.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sos76tech

Not entirely sure where his father moved from but yes his uncle did own the Castle Bar - which was apparently purchased from Johns Father before they moved to the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FlataytoOne

Apologies, I would have posted this in its own thread instead of posting in this old one, but I literally re-registered to Boards.ie to share this news & as such don’t have thread opening privileges.

There’s an effort to get a static UH-1 Huey on display in Ireland, painted in the livery of “Dolphin 428”, Capt. O’ Sullivan’s aircraft from his Vietnam service. The Facebook group sprang into life this past week, and it looks like they’re working towards an arrival in November for the selected aircraft in Cork. Group goes under the name “174th HUEY - IRL - Dolphin 428” on Facebook. (I also can’t do links being a new reg).

Advertisement