Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Seems like a bargain to me. Tuam to gort motorway, a route that will never reach capacity, was 10.3million a km. Yet nobody balked at that price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The land between Baldoyle and Portmarnock looks like a marsh. I'd have thought that it is very difficult to construct anything on (hence why there is nothing built there in an otherwise desirable location) which would contribute hugely to the cost, plus there is probably a need for extensive drainage systems (which will also have to be designed to prevent undesirable run off into the sea). Most greenways thus far have been built on former train trackbed so about as solid as you will get and have some form of drainage.

The IFA continue to try get CPOs taken off the table as a potential option when determining greenway routes.

"we love greenways, but only those that follow the walls around our fields"

The mind boggles at how they think this will result in the kind of greenway people will want to use.

Presenting the newest greenway where you can walk/cycle for 100 meters, turn left, go 50 meters, turn right, go 20 meters, turn left, go 100 meters, turn right etc etc etc

https://connachttribune.ie/ifa-support-greenways-but-no-cpos-or-land-divisions-123/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

6 greenway proposals up north got approval and funding for detailed route selection last week
    https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/news/ps200000-investment-eight-new-greenway-designs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a push on to start work on the east coast greenway between Wicklow and Greystones:
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/plans-for-greystones-to-wicklow-greenway-move-closer-to-reality-36886753.html

It's currently walkable alongside the railway line, but is little more than a rough track and in places you have to walk on the beach or along the top of coastal protection blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭pigtown

Limerick council have announced funding for a greenway linking Castleconnell with Montpelier. It's short enough- 5km or so- and there was some confusion initially when it was reported that it would be an extension of the city-university greenway. Good to see all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's a push on to start work on the east coast greenway between Wicklow and Greystones:
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/plans-for-greystones-to-wicklow-greenway-move-closer-to-reality-36886753.html

It's currently walkable alongside the railway line, but is little more than a rough track and in places you have to walk on the beach or along the top of coastal protection blocks.

And that's the way it should stay - unspoilt rather than inundated by people some of who will despoil it. Why does everywhere have to be opened up and over developed? For much of the path between Greystones and Wicklow it would be impossible to add a cycleway or hardcore walking route - you've as much as admitted it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And that's the way it should stay - unspoilt rather than inundated by people some of who will despoil it. Why does everywhere have to be opened up and over developed? For much of the path between Greystones and Wicklow it would be impossible to add a cycleway or hardcore walking route - you've as much as admitted it yourself.

If you actually read the linked article, they're talking about a Greenway as a part of any coastal erosion protection schemes, which would themselves already involve quite a bit of interference with the natural order of things along this coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The IFA continue to try get CPOs taken off the table as a potential option when determining greenway routes.

"we love greenways, but only those that follow the walls around our fields"

The mind boggles at how they think this will result in the kind of greenway people will want to use.

Presenting the newest greenway where you can walk/cycle for 100 meters, turn left, go 50 meters, turn right, go 20 meters, turn left, go 100 meters, turn right etc etc etc

https://connachttribune.ie/ifa-support-greenways-but-no-cpos-or-land-divisions-123/
    From that article:
    Co. Galway IFA Vice-Chairman, Martin Gibbons from Oughterard, told the Farming Tribune that the IFA and farmers would ‘love to see the Greenway progressed’ but stressed that there were two red-line issues that had to be addressed.

“Land severance – where a Greenway is proposed to cut through a farmer’s land – and CPOs [Compulsory Purchase Orders] can never be a part of this process.
    Under the heading of ‘Land Purchase’ in the document, the Government position is that they anticipate voluntary agreements will be entered into, to sell off small sections of land to construct the Greenway.
    "We would love to see Greenway's progressed but we don't want land severance or CPOs". To paraphrase Donald Trump - "When I said 'would', I should have said 'wouldnt' as in 'We wouldn't love to see Greenways progressed'. A sort of single negative."

Of course it would be better to enter into voluntary arrangements. And this will entail a lot of public and private meetings to allay any concerns. But what are you going to do when some farmer simply refuses?

In relation to land severance, Mr Gibbons should take a trip on some of our Greenways to see how easily that is currently being managed - the gates and (cattle) grids on the Great Southern Trail are a very good example of how it can be done. Plus the farmers will be compensated, for the tiny strip of land that will be taken.

It's a win-win - not just for them but for their families and their communities.

MJohnston wrote: »
    If you actually read the linked article, they're talking about a Greenway as a part of any coastal erosion protection schemes, which would themselves already involve quite a bit of interference with the natural order of things along this coast.

I did read it but thanks anyway. :rolleyes: Any attempt to stop coastal erosion will destroy the coastline between Wicklow and Greystones; one only has to look at the mess that's been made by attempts north of Greystones harbour and at the Wicklow end of the Murrough.

• Advertisement

It's also incorrect to say it's "unspoilt" - the existing path is largely there as a result of the railway (a live railway which is right alongside the coast) and the coastal protection works; it's not some ancient landscape.

I wouldn't like to see it developed as a "mini-road" style tarmac path, but a compacted earth/gravel path would be fine.

I did read it but thanks anyway. :rolleyes: Any attempt to stop coastal erosion will destroy the coastline between Wicklow and Greystones; one only has to look at the mess that's been made by attempts north of Greystones harbour and at the Wicklow end of the Murrough.

they have to protect the railway line.

It's also incorrect to say it's "unspoilt" - the existing path is largely there as a result of the railway (a live railway which is right alongside the coast) and the coastal protection works; it's not some ancient landscape.

I wouldn't like to see it developed as a "mini-road" style tarmac path, but a compacted earth/gravel path would be fine.

Yes, it would be great if we could encourage the 100,000s of visitors envisaged to tramp/cycle between Greystones and Wicklow - who cares that the 'unspoilt' beauty/peace etc. of the area enjoyed by serious walkers/birdwatchers etc. for generations is destroyed for the great god Mammon.

Even in the 45+ years that I have walked the route there's a huge growth in walkers/joggers and loose dogs and what is being spoken of is unsustainable.

they have to protect the railway line.

Tell me now, when was the last time that the Greystones/Wicklow section was closed due to flooding? If anything the recent coastal protection work has done more to erode the cliffs north of Greystones and the beach at the Wicklow end of the Murrough. Anyway IE plan to close the route south of Gorey/Greystones/Bray if they can get away with it and there's your readymade Greenway.

Point is - it's the erosion work that you should be annoyed at, not the Greenway addition as you seemed to be in the post I replied to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

And that's the way it should stay - unspoilt rather than inundated by people .
    People for trains - countryside for critters.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

pigtown wrote: »
    Limerick council have announced funding for a greenway linking Castleconnell with Montpelier. It's short enough- 5km or so- and there was some confusion initially when it was reported that it would be an extension of the city-university greenway. Good to see all the same.

Oh the university to Montpelier isn't in the works? I'll update the map so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭pigtown

It's not very clear to be honest. I enquired to the council and they said that they were at route selection stage but never mentioned the university, while media reports have changed from a UL-Montpelier one to a Castleconnell-Montpelier one.

https://www.change.org/p/western-rail-trail-campaign-create-a-walking-and-cycling-greenway-on-the-closed-railway-from-sligo-to-athenry

The petition for a greenway from Athenry to Sligo on the loooong disused railway is about to cross the 20k signatures mark

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/it-is-not-planned-to-use-cpos-to-develop-cavan-greenways/

Cavan CoCo ruling out CPO for their greenways. Also focuses on Ballyconnell to Bellaheady Bridge trail, which I wasn't aware was even proposed but is apparently being built as we speak!

Added it to the map anyway. If you have any updates on local trails or notice anything out of date please let me know and I'll get it updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Cavan CoCo ruling out CPO for their greenways.

reading that it implies they're just / mainly using public lands - so it's easy enough to rule something out if it's not an issue for you :)

reading that it implies they're just / mainly using public lands - so it's easy enough to rule something out if it's not an issue for you :)

Yeah Id say easy points scoring for this greenway, any of the waterways Ireland routes should basically be single owner projects. Lets see how that 'No CPOs' promise holds up for Sligo to Enniskillen and Letrim VIllage to Cavan on disused railways

Athenry meeting hears of 'overwhelming support' for greenway

'Delusional' to think train is coming back says councillor

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/102558/athenry-meeting-hears-of-overwhelming-support-for-greenway

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I had a word with the journalist this morning. That is a serious misinterpretation of what I said. We were speaking about the Athenry to Milltown greenway which wouldn’t require any CPOs and he conflated it with the Athlone to Galway greenway.

https://twitter.com/ciarancannon/status/1035148817572790272

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

€3 million awarded to extend the Old Rail Trail into the centre of Athlone.

https://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/102670/greenway-extension-progress-boost-as-funding-is-announced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

great news but €3m seems excessive, they must be planning on boring a long tunnel in Montree!

^ somewhat unclear what marina "The Marina" in the link is supposed to be. Presumably the underpass is to get the greenway underneath the active railway, but I don't know where it goes after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

^ somewhat unclear what marina "The Marina" in the link is supposed to be. Presumably the underpass is to get the greenway underneath the active railway, but I don't know where it goes after that.

The town marina.

Advertisement