Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOTA II Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Second game started

Team 1
    Team 2
    Vengeful spirit ( Andromeda )
    Magina ( Magebane )
    PoTM ( Valkyrie )
    Earthshaker ( Behemoth )
    Weaver
    VS
    Beastmaster ( Tundra ) woot woot !
    Leshrac ( Torturer )
    Lion ( Witch Slayer )
    Tidehunter ( Kraken )
    Lich ( Plague Rider )

This game should be alot better only hard carry is Anti Mage

Firstblood to Tidehunter !

Cheers for posting the HoN equivalents !

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Spunge wrote: »
    Cheers for posting the HoN equivalents !

While you can hear the commentators they are actually good at explaining.

This match is better although they are quite bad :3 , The sentinal are playing the Ganky HoN trilane metagame and it seems to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Totally

Its so like HoN.I don't think this would attract many people from LoL.

Mirana sucked ;E

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Thats what a lot of people want ....

Thats what a lot of people THINK they want. They already have that with hon.

The fact that lol has by far the bigger market share shows that , in general, people want a bit more. I'd have assumed valve would cop that.

• Advertisement

Dustaz wrote: »
    Thats what a lot of people THINK they want. They already have that with hon.

No, alot of the DoTA players did not want to accept hon, as it does play somewhat differently, you can even notice the differences in the meta game by those last 3 games.
    Dustaz wrote: »
    The fact that lol has by far the bigger market share shows that , in general, people want a bit more. I'd have assumed valve would cop that.

LoL has a far bigger market because it was F2P from the start, and advertised better, while HoN tried ONLY to appease the DoTA community. Now HoN is stuck in a rut, either to try and emulate the original better, or out perform LoL at its own business model. The Latter it will not do. The former, time will tell.... but one thing is fore sure, the fact it is a steam game will hold to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Honestly I think DoTA 2 will fail mainly because it's identity doesn't help it in a very tight market.

Ask yourself this, why would a HoN player go to DoTA 2?

Why would a LoL player go to DoTA 2 instead of HoN.

Beside's that it looks f*cking boring.

The game is still in beta so I dunno ... I will try it anyways

I think the second game was ace ... albeit **** plays from the sentinel team, plays are slower as in DoTA 1 / LoL

EDIT : First game WAS woefully bad

The game is still in beta so I dunno ... I will try it anyways

I think the second game was ace ... albeit **** plays from the sentinel team, plays are slower as in DoTA 1 / LoL

EDIT : First game WAS woefully bad

First one i heard went on for a hour and then some.

Second one was laughably bad, for "pro" players Sentinel had zero positioning skills and constantly did dumbass things getting split off and generally being in bad position.

There was nothing "clutch" or jaw dropping about what was happening either, was so methodical.

Stev_o wrote: »

Second one was laughably bad, for "pro" players Sentinel had zero positioning skills and constantly did dumbass things getting split off and generally being in bad position.

There was nothing "clutch" or jaw dropping about what was happening either, was so methodical.

The last game I watched was a bit better, very limited hero pool in comparison.

The general consensus among the HoN community I think is disappointment about present an unpolished game.

I may just be gripping the nostalgia strings seeing all the old heroes ... but I don't want to pass judgment on it yet. But for what its worth I am enjoying the streams and anyways the euro teams are thrashing the asian teams !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

admittedly 90mins is abnormal. very very rare. best guess is lacking some pushers in the hero pool and the players didnt dare to push out like they usually do. chinese team own most of the western in tourney in like 30mins most of the time.

and for the LoL > dota2 etc, i am pretty sure that you dont play dota and thus you didnt understand a huge factor in making dota-like games (i hated moba, so inaccurate and sounds so stupid), something called Icefrog.

regarding the game play, it could be laggy or something (the chinese owned the world, no kidding) so the performance could abit weird (like that tide vs lion part in game2 iirc).

this game is in alpha and this is the first day we see it. please leave your judgement at least until you see the final product. also, LoL players love to derail the dota2 tread to some e-peni* contest lol vs dota2, please dont do that here if you are one of these lol players. it doesnt matter which one is better. personally i couldnt even finish one LoL game.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    admittedly 90mins is abnormal. very very rare. best guess is lacking some pushers in the hero pool and the players didnt dare to push out like they usually do. chinese team own most of the western in tourney in like 30mins most of the time.

and for the LoL > dota2 etc, i am pretty sure that you dont play dota and thus you didnt understand a huge factor in making dota-like games (i hated moba, so inaccurate and sounds so stupid), something called Icefrog.

regarding the game play, it could be laggy or something (the chinese owned the world, no kidding) so the performance could abit weird (like that tide vs lion part in game2 iirc).

this game is in alpha and this is the first day we see it. please leave your judgement at least until you see the final product. also, LoL players love to derail the dota2 tread to some e-peni* contest lol vs dota2, please dont do that here if you are one of these lol players. it doesnt matter which one is better. personally i couldnt even finish one LoL game.

I love it when people quote someone and then manage to pull quotes out of thin air. Where did I say LoL > Dota 2?

I play HoN and LoL so don't try telling me what I don't play. Course you being the typical Dota player that the community hates why bother even replying to you cause im sure you'll start making up more quotes that I haven't said.

If you a problem with my posts go report them and let the mods decide, instead of trying to drag this into a flame war.

Having connection problems at a Lan tournament is one of the worst things ANY competitive game multiplayer can have.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    personally i couldnt even finish one LoL game.

While I agree with some of your points, what makes you think you can pass judgment on LoL if you have not finished one game ? I used to hate it as well but then I started playing it and realized its a MUCH different game then HoN/DoTA, so I don't think they are very comparable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Honestly I think DoTA 2 will fail mainly because it's identity doesn't help it in a very tight market.

Ask yourself this, why would a HoN player go to DoTA 2?

Why would a LoL player go to DoTA 2 instead of HoN.

Beside's that it looks f*cking boring.

just about every HoN player will go to DotA 2 because S2 suck balls

LoL will be safer as its a hell of a lot more noob friendly.

DotA 2 will be massive, it will kill Hon for sure, LoL will be ok though

Jazzy wrote: »
    just about every HoN player will go to DotA 2 because S2 suck balls

LoL will be safer as its a hell of a lot more noob friendly.

DotA 2 will be massive, it will kill Hon for sure, LoL will be ok though

Funny how the HoN forums seem to disagree with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Funny how the HoN forums seem to disagree with you.

they do? you mean the HoN forum where ppl have DotA 2 signatures and are constantly pissed with S2 over being sh1t and hate the new F2P system? everyone I know who plays HoN (which is a lot) is switching to DotA 2. tell me, do you just not want DotA 2 to be successful?

Jazzy wrote: »
    they do? you mean the HoN forum where ppl have DotA 2 signatures and are constantly pissed with S2 over being sh1t and hate the new F2P system? everyone I know who plays HoN (which is a lot) is switching to DotA 2. tell me, do you just not want DotA 2 to be successful?

Of course we want it to be successful, the last match between MYM and M5 was great fun to watch, nightstalker with scepter is just lol.

But the HoN community always needs something to moan about

I think some of the hero models look great, I really wanna see pudge he looks cool in the trailer

But you have to admit Jazzy storm spirit looks pants :P

30dfat1.png
    2zhjlhx.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hon does play differently to dota, although it is much closer than lol, i think dota has better gamplay than hon, and hon moreson than lol.

lol is very different to the other 2, is noob friendly and rewards passive farming.
    their excellent marketing strategies have really helped them out, they owned it. Being more friendly to new players will be a great way for them to keep getting players. I think HoN might struggle with dota2 with it being a steam game, no valve game is ever unpopular :p

i hope they do improve dota2 and take peoples comments on board, it's still in alpha sothere is a good bit of time till release. i love the gfx but some people seem to hate them, think it is great to have a duller background and focus on hero clarity. some of the heroes look deadly.

I could care less whether the game is successful or not im not one man on a Crusade to bring down Dota 2 for all to point and laugh at.

The problem I have is high expectations. Im a gamer, a new game backed by the most prestigious game developer/publisher in the world and im completely underwhelmed.

My and a lot of others reactions where are a resounding sigh. This is it? The graphics looks nice maybe a bit TF2'y but honestly the game itself wasn't captivating me at all.

The games I watched nothing made me go "OH **** THAT WAS INSANE" . Maybe that'll take more matches for that stuff to happen or maybe it won't maybe teams will play ultra conservatively like other sports when their is so much on the table.

My question still stands. If your playing this sort of genre, what is DoTA's 2 main selling point? Seems to be nostalgia for a few people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dunno i guess gameplay and that time will tell, i lvoe the gfx in all 3 games and dont really care about them. hopefully having 108 heroes that have been tested for years for balance will be good too.

My question still stands. If your playing this sort of genre, what is DoTA's 2 main selling point? Seems to be nostalgia for a few people.

Ask yourself what Counter strike source or TF2's main selling point were at launch? and then look at how popular they got.

I have no doubt in time they will start implementing variety, but they first want to get the old stuff down too a tee to draw in the the competitive e sports players

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

Ditching HoN for this as soon as possible - S2 have repeatedly let the community down (especially with more recent adjustments) - they seem to be setting up for a product that is going sunset when dota2 launches.

recent adjustments such as making it free? if they didnt at least try that they were dead in the water, frankly they waited too long to do it. things like having a 'sale' right before making it free is a bad move too, even if it got them money in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Whens the next game starting, anyone know??

Soon I would say, the team names are showing on the stream now

recent adjustments such as making it free? if they didnt at least try that they were dead in the water, frankly they waited too long to do it. things like having a 'sale' right before making it free is a bad move too, even if it got them money in the short term.

Regardless HoN's community was going to **** all over them whatever the Dev's do. Their forums are a sight to behold if you were a physiologist.

Their forums are a sight to behold if you were a physiologist.

Something we can all agree on

Something we can all agree on

Which is of course what this genre suffers from. It's like the worse COD/Halo/WoW/*insert any other notoriously bad community* had sex and produced a child. The amount of sh*t you have to put up with is beyond tiresome.

Valve have hinted they;ll be rewarding a positive community which should be a social experiment and a half if you ask me!

• Advertisement

Valve have hinted they;ll be rewarding a positive community which should be a social experiment and a half if you ask me!

Sounds interesting.

But you can expect immature rage in games that require good team play to win

Advertisement