Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl or aldi??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lidl is in France exactly the same as they are here, France is the number one tourist destination and they seem to have no difficulties with Lidl.
    I don't see any issues with Aldi or Lidl, they have thrown the gauntlet down to all the other supermarkets and in doing so have made consumers aware of how much they paid previously.
    Its snobbery pure and simple when it comes to people saying that Irish supermarkets are better or support more Irish jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

Shenshen wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting we hold economic development in case the sight of it offends tourists? What about the people actually living here?
    Do you not realise those ugly, bland identical lidl and aldi stores on the outskirts of our towns, in unsustainable ribbon development, damage the environment and streetscape of our towns and cities? A lot of the damage is done now, ask our planners and see what they say in current county development plans.

Besides, do you not think its better to keep your shopping money in Ireland by shopping in an Irish owned supermarket which stocks a higher percentage of Irish produced goods? Show your patriotism where it matters. Protect jobs and our vernacular Irish streetscapes and architecture.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What supermarkets have vernacular streetscapes, then? Or a larger range of Irish products, or new builds in town centres for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

malibu4u wrote: »

Besides, do you not think its better to keep your shopping money in Ireland by shopping in an Irish owned supermarket which stocks a higher percentage of Irish produced goods? Show your patriotism where it matters. Protect jobs and our vernacular Irish streetscapes and architecture.

Aldi

Over 45% of all grocery sales at Aldi are generated on products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers.
    Who makes Aldi products?
    Bewleys / Robert Roberts – all coffees and teas
    Natures Isle – fresh poultry, Irish Angus beef, pork, lamb, all sourced from RoI farms and Bord Bia certified.
    Irish Yogurts / Town of Monaghan Co-op / the Different Dairy Company – yogurts
    Odlums – flour

Lidl

Lidl say they are “committed to using as many indigenous suppliers as possible in the production of its own brand products.”
    Pat the Baker - granary bread and scones
    Johnston Mooney & O Brien - hot dog rolls and burger buns
    Olhausen – Premium pork sausages
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty) – Premium yogurts
    Town of Monaghan – Irish creamery butter
    Liffey Meats (Cavan) – fresh beef
    Cooley Distillery – whiskey
    Oakpark Foods (Tipperary) – Glensallagh streaky bacon
    Donegal Creameries – 1 litre milk carton
    Seerys (Carlow)– triple chocolate cake and luxury lemon cake
    Glenpatrick – Flavoured water
    Begleys (Dublin) – fresh fruit and veg
    The Scullery – relish (small supplier, relishes developed with Lidl)

Probably more added since this list was compiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

Chucken wrote: »
    Aldi

Lidl

big f****** deal - a cheap whiskey! ...and 14 other Irish products. Open your eyes when ye go to work tomorrow and see all the foreign stuff in the dump baskets and on the shelves, and see all the money flowing out to the hq in Germany. And for that our town centres were destroyed and the outskirts destroyed by ugly ribbon development blue and yellow warehouses, all identical and bland and foreign and soul-less.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    Aldi

Over 45% of all grocery sales at Aldi are generated on products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers.
    Who makes Aldi products?
    Bewleys / Robert Roberts – all coffees and teas
    Natures Isle – fresh poultry, Irish Angus beef, pork, lamb, all sourced from RoI farms and Bord Bia certified.
    Irish Yogurts / Town of Monaghan Co-op / the Different Dairy Company – yogurts
    Odlums – flour

Lidl

Lidl say they are “committed to using as many indigenous suppliers as possible in the production of its own brand products.”
    Pat the Baker - granary bread and scones
    Johnston Mooney & O Brien - hot dog rolls and burger buns
    Olhausen – Premium pork sausages
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty) – Premium yogurts
    Town of Monaghan – Irish creamery butter
    Liffey Meats (Cavan) – fresh beef
    Oakpark Foods (Tipperary) – Glensallagh streaky bacon
    Donegal Creameries – 1 litre milk carton
    Seerys (Carlow)– triple chocolate cake and luxury lemon cake
    Glenpatrick – Flavoured water
    Begleys (Dublin) – fresh fruit and veg
    The Scullery – relish (small supplier, relishes developed with Lidl)

Aldi sell craft beers made by Carlow Brewing (the people who make O'Hara's). Lidl's craft beers come from Rye River Brewing in Kilcock.

The overwhelming majority of both fresh and deli meat sold in both Aldi and Lidl is sourced from Irish agri-business. Some of the dairy and meat ranges sold in both chains is sourced in NI - but IIRC, those are marketed as Irish produce under some cross-border agreement. Eggs in both chains are sourced in Ireland.

Lidl also sell Batchelors beans, not that I buy them (English-made Heinz for us).

A lot of the fruit and veg in Lidl and Aldi comes from the continent, not to mention Brazil and China, but it's the same in the rest of the supermarkets anyway.

big f****** deal - a cheap whiskey! ...and 14 other Irish products. Open your eyes when ye go to work tomorrow and see all the foreign stuff in the dump baskets and on the shelves, and see all the money flowing out to the hq in Germany. And for that our town centres were destroyed and the outskirts destroyed by ugly ribbon development blue and yellow warehouses, all identical and bland and foreign and soul-less.

Yeah.

Every little helps, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

And for that our town centres were destroyed and the outskirts destroyed by ugly ribbon development blue and yellow warehouses, all identical and bland and foreign and soul-less.

So, let me get this right...Aldi/Lidl have destroyed the town centre AND the outskirts?

Seriously? (I mean, it's not like they're sending over Stukas!)

Me, I happen to like the identical nature of a chain - it means that if i go to another town, I don't wander up and down aisles like a loon....I know where to go for various products.

Bland? It's grocery shopping....do you want it to be exciting? Really?

Foreign? Ah yeah, "thim furriners"...get rid of them - shur who'd want a foreigner around - it's not like we joined the EU or anything!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Enough. We get it. Unless you can start posting something other than baseless attacks on Lidl and Aldi, then don't post on this thread again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Do you not realise those ugly, bland identical lidl and aldi stores on the outskirts of our towns, in unsustainable ribbon development, damage the environment and streetscape of our towns and cities? A lot of the damage is done now, ask our planners and see what they say in current county development plans.

So you'd rather have ugly, massive, bland and identical stores run by Supervalue and Tesco smack bang in the middle of towns?

I really don't care who owns the supermarkets I shop in, and value quality higher than locality. Our local supervalue sits in the same little industrial/shopping complex as Aldi and Lidl, charges 3 times the price for fruit and veg, the store stinks of the meat counter in the back, the staff are rude, checkout takes forever, and the products they stock are simply inferior to what I can get in Aldi and Lidl.

I've stopped shopping there a good while back, when we found out that we can buy lotto tickets online now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I prefer to support Irish jobs in Irish supermarkets.
    So which Irish supermarkets do you use? name at least 2?

I bet people could find issues with them along the same lines are your issues with lidl/aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

I prefer Lidl even though it's a hassle because they don't have twin trolleys in my branch so it takes 2 people to do the grocery shopping unless I get a babysitter. My local Aldi has very poor quality control issues - have had a snail in frozen veg, my cousin got mouldy cheese, chicken has gone off within a day, same with milk - just think stuff is a lot fresher in Lidl and it seems to be a brighter shop, better atmosphere. Some of their frozen stuff wouldn't be to my taste - chicken wings gone very fatty - but everything else is fine and I'm glad I can get Dairygold there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I like both Aldi and Lidl. Am lucky that both are within ten minutes of me. Aldi nearer though, and better access, so that's my go to first!

What do I like in Aldi? Well, it's all a personal choice but the must haves for me are the Greek Style yogurt, the manuka honey, the maple syrup, the Kavanaghs Porridge Oats (very nice), and the Weetabix subs. Oh and the tea bags, mc Graths gold blend. If my mother approves, they are the business! And they are very good.

Fruit and veg, eggs, mince.

Lemon zest shower gel.

And...... wine!

Now remember, the specials can distract me aswell. Cannot comment as they are different every week.

Lidl....Rathdaragh extra mature cheese block. It is really good.

The cream cheese spread with red peppers and chilli, and the one with herbs. Nice on a cracker!

Bakery stuff (too much to mention!)

Vanilla sugar (OMG) gorgeous. (99c).

Chicken

Cleaning stuff.

Wine.

Yes I like my wine.

Advertisement