Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl or aldi??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tieko

Have to agree, Aldi's premium steaks are excellent and I find their fruit and veg lasts for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I go to Lidl every week but never been in a Aldi,
    But i'll be going tomorrow.

usually go to Dunnes about 50%, Tesco about 25%(although i hate Tesco) and Lidi about 25%
    But i'll be giving Aldi a try now.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

I would like to recomend Lidl Preimum Mayonaise(in a yellow squeezy bottle),best mayo around,much superiour to hellmans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

dubh101 wrote: »
    I would like to recomend Lidl Preimum Mayonaise(in a yellow squeezy bottle),best mayo around,much superiour to hellmans.

But - but - food LOVES Hellman's!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

But - but - food LOVES Hellman's!
    Lol dont take my word for it,try it,much closer to homemade mayo/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Manda76

Lately I find Lidl has changed a few products like their cereal, for years they had the same brands my kids loved (Lidls own brand, Fruit rings and Chocolate hoops) and then suddenly they must have changed their supplier and the cereals looked and tasted very cheap..and they have no added vitamins.
    I searched the boxes totally confused why boxes of cereal obviously aimed at kids had no added vitamins! my friend also noticed their nappies are different and her little one barely gets an hour out of the nappies before they are heavy and wet.
    So it really looks like Lidl are penny pinching and are constantly changing their suppliers and using cheaper suppliers.
    Oh and Lidl are slowly adding a lot of buy two for three/four euro offers, which is greedy Tescos gimmick..it defeats the purpose of shopping in a discount supermarket if they are trying to get us to buy two boxes of teabags when we only want one!
    Now Aldi to me seem so much cheaper, have more Irish copied products..and their own brand products are excellent and nearly a match for the brand names, but half the price.
    I made the mistake of shopping in Tesco two weeks ago, I spent 130 euro thinking I had bought loads and got their so called special offers and things half price..but ended up not getting enough lunches for my kids and catfood and didn't buy enough milk. I had to go to Dealz on the friday and spent 20 euro buying the rest. Last week I went to Aldi and spent 130 and got loads! seriously it is so cheap, you just get so much for your money.
    Ok it's a pain in the arse loading your stuff onto the belt to put it all back in the trolley, and then four people are standing behind you with two things looking at you with their oh hurry up expressions and then you have to put them into bags at the counter but my presses and fridge was packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I used to shop in tesco, but found that their own brand stuff was absolute crap and can't afford to be buying brand names all the time.

I then switched to lidl, liked it a lot the food was good enough quality etc. but still felt like I was coming out of there with nothing.

I switched to aldi about a month ago and I have to say I am loving it. I come out with a massive amount of stuff on a small budget, I've yet to come across something that tastes low quality and they have a fantastic range of products.

Even though it's more of a hassle to go to aldi as its further away than the other too it's worth it because I am getting so much more for my money.

Small tip: next time you are in aldi pick up a pack of their peanut cookies, the are amazing!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I only converted to Aldi a couple of weeks ago.. I was a staunch Tesco-er before that and I can't believe I've spent so long throwing money away :eek:

The food in Aldi is just as nice if not nicer than what you'd get in Tesco.. I still go to the bigger Supermarket for the likes of my cosmetics and I find their cleaning products aren't great.. But the food is great and such good value..

I worked in a Lidl years ago for a brief period.. and I used to see people bringing back milk that was gone off but still in date, same with fruit and veg so that put me off ever shopping in there :o

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I used to shop in tesco, but found that their own brand stuff was absolute crap and can't afford to be buying brand names all the time.

I then switched to lidl, liked it a lot the food was good enough quality etc. but still felt like I was coming out of there with nothing.

I switched to aldi about a month ago and I have to say I am loving it. I come out with a massive amount of stuff on a small budget, I've yet to come across something that tastes low quality and they have a fantastic range of products.

Even though it's more of a hassle to go to aldi as its further away than the other too it's worth it because I am getting so much more for my money.

Small tip: next time you are in aldi pick up a pack of their peanut cookies, the are amazing!
    The peanut cookies are lovely, so are the Malt milk biscuits and Oaties. The Malt biscuits are only 45c..the Oaties are like hob nobs but only cost 65c!

xzanti wrote: »
    I only converted to Aldi a couple of weeks ago.. I was a staunch Tesco-er before that and I can't believe I've spent so long throwing money away :eek:

The food in Aldi is just as nice if not nicer than what you'd get in Tesco.. I still go to the bigger Supermarket for the likes of my cosmetics and I find their cleaning products aren't great.. But the food is great and such good value..

I worked in a Lidl years ago for a brief period.. and I used to see people bringing back milk that was gone off but still in date, same with fruit and veg so that put me off ever shopping in there :o
    I shopped in Tescos for years, I always spent too much never came out with any change.I used to dread watching all the shopping add up, watching the scanner thing like a hawk praying it never went over what I had.
    Like a few times I promised the kids a McDonalds on the way home from Tescos but would end up leaving the shop with 3 euro in my purse..if I was lucky and my kids didn't get their Happy meals, and they rarely get one it's a treat for them.
    You just spend so much each time, unless you buy all the Tesco Value products..and the food products are just rubbish.
    So each weekend my press and fridge were nearly empty and I was trying to figure out how I was spending nearly 140-60 euro on shopping a week and have nothing left after a few days, my Mother was the one who kept telling me to got to Aldi. I will never understand how Tesco has so many BOGOF and half price offers and you still spend a fortune..can anyone work out how they are so expensive? it's like when you buy one of their half price offers you notice their potatoes went up in price. They reduce some things while slyly putting other items up in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭seanpjs93

The Aldi Angus burgers are the best frozen meat I've ever tasted the only additives are seasonings and the rest is beef, they're not dry or anything, they're by far the nicest I've had from frozen. I actually prefer them over the local butcher's burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

[QUOTE=seanpjs93;79475724]The Aldi Angus burgers are the best frozen meat I've ever tasted the only additives are seasonings and the rest is beef, they're not dry or anything, they're by far the nicest I've had from frozen. I actually prefer them over the local butcher's burgers.[/QUOTE]your local butcher wouldnt get much change from you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

JackN688 wrote: »
    ALDI, IS A MUST, ITS PERFECT, MIND YOU IVE BEEN TO BOTH, AND AM SICK OF BOTH, YOU GET SICK OF THE LACK OF MORE "EXOTIC" FOODS, EG. CANT GET LOADS OF SPICES, MEATS, SAUCES, VEGATABLES
    IF YOUR A KEEN COOK, TESCO IS YOUR ONLY MAN, OR THE MARKET IF YOUR A CORKONIAN LIKE MYSELF

I could never grow sick of aldi in fact i think aldi as a company and brand is possibly my favorite of all time,Apart from the model and look i dont think aldi and lidl can be compared aldi's quality is far better,As for tesco everyday value that really is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

Aldi FTW followed by an odd trip to Lidl and Dunnes or if I'm stuck Tesco. Just waiting for a new ALDI to open near me now, should be in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

xzanti wrote: »

I do not shop in either lidl or aldi as the money spent there goes straight out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

malibu4u wrote: »
    I do not shop in either lidl or aldi as the money spent there goes straight out of the country.

Never shop in Tesco either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Dunnes claim of being Irish is interesting.

They are privately owned, so no-one knows what their profits are, or where the money goes.

This is def worth a read.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dunnes-stores-high-percentage-mandate-flexible-contracts-1843795-Dec2014/

Dunnes do not have a good record in the Employment Appeals Tribunal/Labour Court (a matter of record - check lrc.ie)

SuperValu/Centra are independent franchises controlled by Musgraves in Cork - probably the most "Irish" of all the supermarkets in Ireland.

Concentrating on buying Irish produce will do far, far more for the Irish economy than worrying about where you buy it.

Supermarkets make really tiny profit margins 1-3%. The difference between, say Supervalu and Aldi as regards money staying in the country is in the region of this 1 - 3% profit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I love Lidl's bakery section - I finally can get decent pretzels here!

I also prefer their pickles (gherkins, silver onions, red cabbage and beetroot) - Aldi's are too vinegary for me.

But other than that, I tend to prefer Aldi. They've got a better selection of fruit and veg, as well as cheeses.

And now they stock Quorn and have a better home baking section, I'm not sure why I'd ever got to any other shop any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

blindsider wrote: »
    Dunnes claim of being Irish is interesting.

They are privately owned, so no-one knows what their profits are, or where the money goes.

This is def worth a read.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dunnes-stores-high-percentage-mandate-flexible-contracts-1843795-Dec2014/

Dunnes do not have a good record in the Employment Appeals Tribunal/Labour Court (a matter of record - check lrc.ie)

SuperValu/Centra are independent franchises controlled by Musgraves in Cork - probably the most "Irish" of all the supermarkets in Ireland.

not to mention their refusal to pay Revenue €20 million odd in plastic bag levies, refusal to honour contracts they signed to open stores in Dublin and losing a high profile court case for copying Karen Millen designs for their own clothes.

They're a woeful company IMO, only marginally more ethical than Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Shenshen wrote: »
    And now they stock Quorn and have a better home baking section, I'm not sure why I'd ever got to any other shop any more.

My local lidl had a big selection of Quorn products this week, not sure if it's going to be a regular thing from now on or not though.

I think Aldi have a better selection of fruit, veg and poultry and I much prefer their tinned and jarred stuff to Lidl. They are also cheaper. However, Lidl have the benefit of the awesome fresh bakery and they have a better selection of branded products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Aldi for me though Lidl comes a very close second! My one gripe with Aldi is that they don't have a fresh bread section in all their stores :mad:. I'm addicted to their pumpkin bread and can only get it in the Newlands Cross branch which I have to travel to to get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Aldi have many irish products i think 80% of what i buy there originated in Ireland if i went to supervalue on my budget id imagine id buy less irish products.

ALDI!!! Oh how i love thou i dont care if you are german i will still sleep with you anytime and anywhere.

Concentrating on buying Irish produce will do far, far more for the Irish economy than worrying about where you buy it.

Lidl and Aldi have a bigger percentage of imported goods on their shelves than the other supermarkets. Not surprising, as they come from the continent. I do not send money out of the country unnesessarily by shopping in lidl/aldi. I am proud to be Irish. Also, lidl and aldi generally do not support town centres - they decimate the feel of Irish towns by plonking their similar looking ugly warehouses on the outskirts of towns( ribbon development ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Lidl and Aldi have a bigger percentage of imported goods on their shelves than the other supermarkets. Not surprising, as they come from the continent. I do not send money out of the country unnesessarily by shopping in lidl/aldi. I am proud to be Irish. Also, lidl and aldi generally do not support town centres - they decimate the feel of Irish towns by plonking their similar looking ugly warehouses on the outskirts of towns( ribbon development ).

Your post sounds like lidl or aldi 10 years ago. But now their most of their fresh produce is Irish. Take their cooked chicken for sandwiches. It's Irish. Tescos prepacked chicken for sandwiches is Thai. You will find far more of tescos items are from outside of Ireland.

I have yet to hear of lidl/aldi bullying suppliers like a certain British supermarket does here. The larger supermarkets demand money for "premium space" within their supermarket. Lidl/aldi doesn't do this.

Lidl/aldi have the same layout regarding if you are in Dublin or Munich. Meaning they need a store of a certain size/space. Often only a purpose built unit outside of a town is their only choice.

hfallada wrote: »
    Lidl/aldi have the same layout regarding if you are in Dublin or Munich.
    How boring. Is that what tourists will want to come to Ireland for, to see this blight of ugly identical shops in ribbon development on the outside of each town?

Meaning they need a store of a certain size/space
    All shops need a store of a certain size/space. Howver Lidl and aldi are never very big and never offer much choice. If you are happy with a limited choice of mostly imported goods, thats ok, good for you. A bit like lada.

. Often only a purpose built unit outside of a town is their only choice .

no its not, go to other countries and they sometimes support the town centres there better / are not allowed ribbon development outside town centre.

I prefer to support Irish jobs in Irish supermarkets.

Any evidence that Aldi / Lidl stock more imported goods than any other supermarket?
    I never observed it to be the case.

There is, now, both an Aldi and Lidl in Cork city centre. I know of one in Dublin city centre (Thomas Street) and I've no doubt that there's more.

Cork city really this needed competition in the supermarket sector. The city centre Tesco, Supervalu and both Dunne's are/were all very poor examples of how good those supermarkets can be. The arrival of Lidl has seen much improvement in my local Tesco (also not Irish, btw) as regards choice and offers.
    If only Merchant's quay Supervalu were taken over by one of the good SV operators (Scally, Fields, Ryan etc etc.) we could, along with The English Market, have great food shopping town in Cork and I see no reason why Lidl or Aldi couldn't be part of that.

(oops, this isn't the Cork city forum - sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm a big fan of Lidl - very good bakery and quite good organic veg and fruit. I used to go to Aldi and Lidl once a week and then go to Super Valu for the things I didn't pick up in these two. Now I hardly ever go to Super Valu. I still hit Aldi when I am near one. Lidl opened in Ballycullen (Dublin) last year, and has saved people a fortune not being resticted to just a rip off Spar for local shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

How boring. Is that what tourists will want to come to Ireland for, to see this blight of ugly identical shops in ribbon development on the outside of each town?

Are you seriously suggesting we hold economic development in case the sight of it offends tourists? What about the people actually living here?
    All shops need a store of a certain size/space. Howver Lidl and aldi are never very big and never offer much choice. If you are happy with a limited choice of mostly imported goods, thats ok, good for you. A bit like lada.

Call me peculiar, but I don't particularly care for Irish bananas or oranges.
    Lidl and Aldi stock as much Irish food as any other supermarket, but people have to get used to the idea that not everything can be sourced locally.

Advertisement