Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl or aldi??

Options
  • 15-08-2011 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I used to shop in aldi but I switched to lidl because they seemed to have more branded items. However, I've grown tired of the short shelf life of their fruit and veg, I seem to be finding mouldy fruit and veg 4 or 5 days after purchase. I'm wondering if it might be worth taking a trip to aldi for this weeks shop just to test the waters.... Which do you prefer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

I definately prefer Aldi, as they seem to have more of a range or products where as Lidl seem to have just one of each item. Aldi specially selected line is also great, and I love the super 6 offer (6 items of dirt cheap fruit/veg).

However, Lidl seem to me to be located in more convenient locations so often shop there over Aldi for handiness sake! Lidl cheeses, pizzas and the luxury tinned tomatoes are better than in any other reasonable priced supermarket!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe look for tips on storing the fruit & veg, or what could cause it. If you are storing in the same place, which once got mould, then it should be cleaned thoroughly otherwise mould spores can remain.

I would wash it out with regular bleach, and then when dry with hydrogen peroxide. I have read the regular bleach will kill living stuff and the peroxide will finish off any spores, but the regular stuff might be enough. Others might advise. I have mould on a damp wall and the peroxide was recommended, as this is just the surface it may be overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Flew into aldi out of curiosity and was amazed at the range and price of products compared to lidl! Also, the super 6 on fruit and veg is an excellent offer :) ended up with double the amount of stuff than I'd normally get in lidl for the same price. Hopefully the fruit and veg will last longer, I've tried everything with the stuff I get in lidl but no joy :( somebody did tell me that the lidl I shop in is well known foe it's ****e fruit and veg quality, maybe it's the way they store it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

F Hopefully the fruit and veg will last longer, I've tried everything with the stuff I get in lidl but no joy :( somebody did tell me that the lidl I shop in is well known foe it's ****e fruit and veg quality, maybe it's the way they store it or something.

I find the Aldi fruit and veg lasts great. In Lidl, my experience with pears, plums and other fruits I've bought there is that they never actually ripen but remain sour and then suddenly rot from the inside. It's weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I was involved in a study that looked at the quality and shelflife of Fruit and Veg from SQ, Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. The Lidl and Aldi fruit was found to be not as ripe so didn't do well in taste tests but it had the better shelflife.

Lidl in particular seems to keep a tight stock control, very often a high proportion of its Fruit and veg is offsale in the evenings because they sold out so they have a constant fresh replenishment. Some customers when you observe them shopping cause more damage to the fruit and veg than it has experienced in its journey from the field to the shop floor. :mad:

Aldi obviously had issues with shelflife that they have installed refrigeration for soft fruit and grapes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I find Aldi much better than Lidl for food. I go once a month to stock up on pasta, rice, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and baking supplies etc. Also jars of sundried tomatoes and grilled peppers.
    Lidl's better for weekly special offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I was involved in a study that looked at the quality and shelflife of Fruit and Veg from SQ, Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. The Lidl and Aldi fruit was found to be not as ripe so didn't do well in taste tests but it had the better shelflife.

I'd like to know the finding of this especially on shelf life as I find Tesco a joke when it comes to best before dates.

Anyways Aldi al the way for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I'd like to know the finding of this especially on shelf life as I find Tesco a joke when it comes to best before dates.

Anyways Aldi al the way for me.

Some was perception, tasters believed that SQ would be better but on a blind tasting you couldn't tell a noticeable difference. Tesco had some shelf life failures but as I said the main supermarkets had riper fruit so SQ and Dunnes had around the same failure rate. Aldi/Lidl seems to favour bigger fruit which gives some consumers a perception of better value and they often were still selling fruit from countries that the main supermarkets had moved on from due to declining quality.

Outside of shelflife and quality there was at times a 50 euro difference between buying the same shop in Lidl with SQ at the top as the most expensive. Lidl and Aldi have a smaller range of products so they turn over stock quicker.

Tesco has a terrible reputation for shelflife even do very often they have the exact same product as other Irish supermarkets. Partly due to perception people think there shelflife is v poor, I think if I set up a stand at a farmers market and bought my fruit in Tesco and opened the packs and displayed them in baskets and barrels people wouldn't have a problem with the shelflife and quality.

Another factor with Tesco quality and shelflife is what they call the last 10 feet. Ever stopped and watched how the Tesco staff pack out fruit and Veg? Real eye opener watching them at night in a 24 hour store, 1 or 2 people doing the work of 4 so they work at full tilt throwing stock on the shelf with no time for quality checks and careful handling of stock. I seen them stack green trays on top of open cases of loose apples or push bananas into a fridge(never ever done) The refridgeration in the produce dept isn't the best either and not cleaned as regular as it should be to help air-flow. I understand that the M & S fridges are light years ahead of Tesco but more costly to buy. As for produce training your lucky if Tesco Produce staff can tell you the difference between an apple or orange so that doesn't inspire confidence and helps to reinforce the poor quality perception of Tesco Fruit and Veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I visit Lidl to pick up a few things - dishwasher tablets, washing powder (both came very high on the Which? survey) tinned and fresh tomatoes, and their low fat yoghurts. I go to Aldi to get basically everything else. There are a few branded products that I won't go without - Fairy, Chef ketchup & Hellman's mayo - so I might drop into SQ/Dunnes to get those.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

I go to supermarket everyday so I do not mind the shelflife at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭JackN688

ALDI, IS A MUST, ITS PERFECT, MIND YOU IVE BEEN TO BOTH, AND AM SICK OF BOTH, YOU GET SICK OF THE LACK OF MORE "EXOTIC" FOODS, EG. CANT GET LOADS OF SPICES, MEATS, SAUCES, VEGATABLES
    IF YOUR A KEEN COOK, TESCO IS YOUR ONLY MAN, OR THE MARKET IF YOUR A CORKONIAN LIKE MYSELF

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

JackN688 wrote: »
    ALDI, IS A MUST, ITS PERFECT, MIND YOU IVE BEEN TO BOTH, AND AM SICK OF BOTH, YOU GET SICK OF THE LACK OF MORE "EXOTIC" FOODS, EG. CANT GET LOADS OF SPICES, MEATS, SAUCES, VEGATABLES
    IF YOUR A KEEN COOK, TESCO IS YOUR ONLY MAN, OR THE MARKET IF YOUR A CORKONIAN LIKE MYSELF

Please turn off the Caps Lock. It comes across as shouting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭JackN688

Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I despise Tesco. Along with the fake discounts, crappy veg (it goes off so quickly), the ‘intern’ Christmas shelf stacker joke and not publishing their Irish profits.

I refuse to darken their door again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On several occasions I've seen rotten fruit in SQ. Their oranges seem to be the main culprit, but bagged salad has been a problem too.

Although we did once get hairy bacon in Lidl that didn't smell too good either when we cooked it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

olaola wrote: »
    I despise Tesco. Along with the fake discounts, crappy veg (it goes off so quickly), the ‘intern’ Christmas shelf stacker joke and not publishing their Irish profits.

I refuse to darken their door again.

+1 to the despite of Tesco.

I'm suprised Super value hasnt been mentioned, when it comes to going off fruit and veg there's no where that can be as poor as Super Value (well the one in Killester anyway)

have stated shopping in Lidl recently, great value there, their butter, organic eggs, organic fruit & veg, milk & bread (all irish made) are all great and 30-40% less than what we'd been previoulsy paying between superquinn and our local supermarket. They do nice cheeses and youghurts also. Going to try Aldi soon, been hearing good things about their steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

there the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Aldi wins for me, i think overall quality is better (or at least it looks and tastes better). I'd liken it to Superquinn but there is zero comparison in prices.

As for Tesco, there are plenty of offers in Tesco and I do shop there regularly, if you truly hate them, buy their below cost offers, no better way to hurt them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

bamboozle wrote: »
    Going to try Aldi soon, been hearing good things about their steaks.

Their ribeye and fillets come from AIBP who supply exactly the same steaks to Superquinn. €12 odd in Aldi, €19 odd in Superquinn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Their ribeye and fillets come from AIBP who supply exactly the same steaks to Superquinn. €12 odd in Aldi, €19 odd in Superquinn.

I <3 that stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Their fruit and veg also comes from the same supplier as Superquinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 carhue

olaola wrote: »
    I visit Lidl to pick up a few things - dishwasher tablets, washing powder (both came very high on the Which? survey) tinned and fresh tomatoes, and their low fat yoghurts. I go to Aldi to get basically everything else. There are a few branded products that I won't go without - Fairy, Chef ketchup & Hellman's mayo - so I might drop into SQ/Dunnes to get those.

Lidl stock chef ketchup and hellamn mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

it amazes me how Superquinn are still up and running how can they defend
    these differences
    I like Aldi great quality at good prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

carhue wrote: »
    Lidl stock chef ketchup and hellamn mayo

At normal Irish supermarket prices, the only way to save at lidl or aldi is to buy there own brand stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I have to say that I love shopping in all supermarkets.

I also have to say that I haven't really noticed fruit or veg going off prematurely... aside from scallions and the pots of coriander... they are ready for the bin after a few days, regardless of where I get them.

My faves:

1. Tesco
    2. Aldi
    3. Lidl
    4. Dunnes
    5. Superquinn

Spar, Supervalu, etc.: would only shop there if I had no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

I personally think Aldi is way better than Lidl in terms of product range and price. I would by my "branded" items in Tescos, as there are just some things I wouldn't like the Aldi equivalents of ie. mayo/washing up powder. But I shop more and more in Aldi because I think the quality of alot of the products is excellent and they stock some really nice imported meats/cheeses at a fraction of the price of the other supermarkets. The fruit and veg also has a good shelf life and is unbelievably cheap!!
    Obviously some products are hit and miss, but there is a growing list of favourites from there on my list now.
    I just wish they would do a loyalty card!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The correct answer is whichever one is closest...

But Aldi ftw when it comes to ribeye steaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

But Aldi ftw when it comes to ribeye steaks.

And their fillet steaks!!! A nice treat:D

Advertisement