Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Magazine Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

Thanks for the kind words.

I agree with you about Dr Tom's insight, and I think it would be great to see him in FSM more regularly. If I get enough feedback that others feel likewise - I'll bring him back in a little more quickly than perhaps I would have otherwise. :)

Issue 89 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

298ifq.jpg

In this month's edition, FSM has features on:
    - The Rock, and the influence he can have on the company beyond the WWE title scene
    - Who did you vote as the top stars in wrestling in the FSM Reader Awards?
    - How one of the most dedicated wrestlers on the indy scene, Claudio Castagnoli, is getting is just deserts in WWE as Antonio Cesaro
    - FSM looks back on Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant, on the 25th anniversary of their famous Main Event network television bout
    - How The Sheik became arguably the greatest heel in the history of wrestling
    - FSM examines the fascinating career of one of the most travelled British wrestlers of the World of Sport era, Johnny Kincaid

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. In this month's columns, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin writes about how long it took him to learn his craft, and how WWE must foster young talent in a similar way. Both Nick “Magnus” Aldis and Jim Cornette write about the recent BBC wrestling documentary, with Nick scathing in his opinion that American wrestling should not be frowned upon by British veterans, while Jim suggests that there are many similarities between how British and American wrestling grew with the advent of television.

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter (@FSM_Editor), or via contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk. We're looking forward to a prosperous 2013, with your continued and much appreciated support. Thank you!

Issue 90 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

26414ba.jpg

In this month's edition, FSM has feature-length articles on:
    - Hulk Hogan, who talks exclusively to FSM and has strong words for Bret Hart and CM Punk, while also detailing the John Cena match that never happened
    - After victories by John Cena and The Rock at The Royal Rumble, FSM analyses the resentment shown by some fans to the results, and ponders whether this was justified
    - In the wake of popular comedy characters such as Dr. Shelby, FSM shows how a deeper understanding of comedy can help everyone appreciate pro wrestling that little bit more
    - Having finished up his independent dates, FSM explains how El Generico came to be one of the best babyfaces in all of wrestling
    - FSM goes out on tour with TNA, as the group enjoyed their annual showcase around Great Britain and Ireland
    - A universally-respected veteran, FSM chronicles the career of Jerry Lynn, as he counts down to retirement
    - A force of nature inside the ring, FSM meets Mark “Rollerball” Rocco, who influenced at least one generation of pro wrestlers worldwide

(For a preview of our explosive interview with Hulk Hogan, please visit http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/art/news/176/hulk-hogan-twofaced-bret-hart-was-a-cheap-wwf-champion)

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. In this month's columns, Nick “Magnus” Aldis writes about how the TNA roster feel about their trips to the UK, and also makes a plea to British fans not to become like their counterparts across the Atlantic. Also, having read last month's article on The Sheik, legendary manager and booker Jim Cornette writes about his own experiences of being in the same building as Ed Farhat, both as a fan, and as a fellow worker.

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter (@FSM_Editor), or via contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk. Your views are important to us! Thanks!

Issue 91 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

2n1fl1w.jpg

- John Cena, and how an 11th reign as WWE champion has promise, if WWE play to his strengths
    - FSM looks back on the career of The Undertaker, and suggests the qualities that quickly made him a locker-room leader
    - In the second part of the most in-depth interview of Hulk Hogan's career, the former six-time WWE champion tells FSM about matches with The Rock, Bret Hart, and Steve Austin, and reveals his pain at the death of Randy Savage
    - In the wake of the Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger angle, FSM looks back at the history of political angles, and ponders whether they do more harm than good
    - As Harley Race gets ready to celebrate his 70th birthday, FSM examines the career of the man known as one of the toughest in the history of pro wrestling
    - Many British wrestlers had some boxing training, but none had the skill of Jackie Turpin. FSM charts his switch to showmanship in the latest in our Greetings, Grapple Fans series.

(For a preview of our explosive interview with Hulk Hogan, please visit http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/art/news/263/hulk-hogan-i-changed-rock-match-on-the-fly)

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Also, in this month's columns, on the 15th anniversary of his first WWF title win, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin explains how he worked his way to the championship, but couldn't be sure if Shawn Michaels would actually drop it to him at WrestleMania XIV. Nick “Magnus” Aldis talks about a situation he found himself in at a recent TV taping that made him think about his attitude to pro wrestling. Also, Jim Cornette – in a follow-up to the article on Harley Race – recalls the reasons why the one-time “King” of the WWF was so admired.

Thank you for all your thoughtful feedback to FSM in recent times. We hope that we will continue to provide you with the type of content you tell us that you enjoy. If you would like to read about a particular subject in the pages of FSM, please let us know by tweeting editor Brian Elliott at FSM_Editor. Thank you!

Issue 92 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

1447b5w.jpg

- The Shield, and how their push to the top has opened up many possibilities for 2013
    - With WWE's Divas division on the back-burner recently, FSM suggests that the UK's Paige could inject life into the roster
    - FSM talks to the family of “Mr Perfect” Curt Hennig, and examines the career of one of the great WWE wrestlers of all-time
    - As Dustin Rhodes begins the transition from pro wrestling to acting, FSM catches up with WWE's Goldust to chat about a most fascinating career
    - Taking on a statement recently made by Nigel McGuinness, FSM ponders whether pro wrestlers could be as revered as other actors, if the sport dropped any pretence of being real?
    - The Wrestling With Subtitles campaign has achieved some success for those who are deaf or hard of hearing. FSM examines the challenges of being a deaf pro wrestler or fan.
    - Going back to 1904, pro wrestling has had an interesting relationship with Royal Albert Hall. FSM brings you the story of the sport in this celebrated building.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Also, in this month's columns, “The Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase writes about his friendship with “Mr Perfect” Curt Hennig, and how their second-generation careers paralleled in many ways. British Boot Camp star Marty Scurll reflects on the show, and promises good times ahead in his career. Following the passing of William “Paul Bearer” Moody, Jim Cornette reflects on the life of his friend, and how he would have enjoyed his WrestleMania moment. Finally, Nick “Magnus” Aldis adds to the discussion of pro wrestlers as actors, and offer his own philosophy on the sport.

I am really keen to get more feedback from Boards.ie on what you've liked / would like to see more of in FSM. If there's a point you'd like to put forward, please reply here, or email me at brian(at)fightingspiritmagazine(dot)co(dot)uk. As always, I'm also on Twitter @FSM_Editor. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Brian does this months edition have much on the Post Mania Raw? Did it make the deadline? And, if so, is it in the usual TV Round-Up?

As for feedback. FSM gets the interviews and presents them brilliantly. They feel really personal and real. Even the idea to interview Michelle Billington (Dynamite Kid's former wife) was a master stroke. We never really hear the other half's side of things. A great notion.

Nick 'Magnus' Aldis is just a genuine bloke. He's a confident young worker but not conceited. His column is really a refreshing read each time it's presented. He's not afraid to mention rival companies, the British/International scene and even other sports, politics and current affairs. An articulate dude with a talent that stretches beyond the ring.

Side note. Your magazine always has great cover photos that draw me in. I pick up the mag each month without even opening a page because I know there's quality within. Good work mate, keep it up.

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. I pride myself on those interviews, so it's nice to read that you enjoy them, and the different angles they take.

Unfortunately, the post-Mania Raw didn't make it into the magazine due to deadlines. We were, however, able to cover WrestleMania.

Issue 93 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

9uudja.jpg

- Brock Lesnar, and whether WWE can keep his momentum going, so that he might headline WrestleMania 30
    - In conversation with FSM, William Regal talks about his character, working behind the scenes with Triple-H, and what WWE is currently trying to achieve
    - After years of playing WWE at its own game, FSM examines how TNA has taken a step back to move forward
    - Dixie Carter sits down with FSM for a full and frank interview about the company's past, present, and future.
    - FSM ponders what made Bill Goldberg one of the hottest wrestling stars of the Monday Night Wars
    - As Jushin Liger prepares to return to the UK, FSM charts his career as arguably the finest junior-heavyweight of all-time
    - With pro wrestling have long separated from its sporting roots, FSM wonders whether it should capitalise on its links to geek culture
    - Debuting in 1977, Klondyke Kate quickly became famous for her in-ring fury. FSM recalls the career of one of the UK's best female grapplers.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Also, in this month's columns, as The Steiner Brothers prepare to come to the UK at the end of May, Nick “Magnus” Aldis describes his friendship with Scott Steiner, and suggests other fearsome competitors who've helped him so far in his short career. Also, Jim Cornette writes about the history of giants and super-heavyweights in pro wrestling, and suggests who he thinks are the finest workers in those categories.

Thank you for your continued support. Please let us know what you'd like to see in FSM by tweeting editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Just subscribed there now (been meaning to for a while) Just wondering if I will receive Issue 93 or will 94 be the first?

Cheers!

It'll almost certainly start with Issue 94. Please email customerservice(at)uncookedmedia(dot)com to be 100 percent sure.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Will do. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Just subscribed. Used to read this a few years ago but became too hard to find. Does anywhere besides Easons even stock it? Brian have you ever thought about getting Tesco or another big supermarket chain to stock it. I'd say you might get a few extra sales there

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Just subscribed. Used to read this a few years ago but became too hard to find. Does anywhere besides Easons even stock it? Brian have you ever thought about getting Tesco or another big supermarket chain to stock it. I'd say you might get a few extra sales there

If it could sell in Tesco it would have by now I'd imagine.

Issue 94 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

novcbk.jpg

- Former WWE champion Sheamus, and how his career has stalled during his recent babyface run.
    - FSM speaks in-depth with WWE talent scout Gerald Brisco about the new Performance Centre, and what it means for the future of the company.
    - In 1993, the WWF began an inter-promotional feud with the USWA. FSM recalls how the period influenced The Attitude Era.
    - FSM sits down with Cody Rhodes to discuss his famous wrestling family, working under Triple-H, and his hopes for the future.
    - FSM catches up with the folks at Ohio Valley Wrestling, and gets to grips with life as a student of the grappling game.
    - In the latest in our Greetings, Grapple Fans series, FSM quizzes the peers of technical great, Mike Marino to bring you the story of his career

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's columns, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin writes about his transition from wrestling to acting, and how the development of his wrestling character allowed him to do that. Bret “The Hitman” Hart recalls that it's been 20 years since he won the King of the Ring tournament in 1993, taking us back to that wonderful night in Dayton, Ohio. Nick “Magnus” Aldis has stern words for those who have criticised TNA in the aftermath of Zema Ion's illness. Following the FSM interview with Cody Rhodes elsewhere in the issue, Jim Cornette takes the opportunity to write about Cody's father, the incomparable “American Dream” Dusty Rhodes. And finally, British wrestling legend Johnny Saint puts pen to paper on his memories of his late colleague, Mick McManus.

Thank you for your continued support. Please let us know what you'd like to see in FSM by tweeting editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Finally got round to finishing off the issue. Loved Bret's thoughts on King of The Ring 1993. Reaching out to Johnny Saint to write about McManus was a touch of class.

My favourite aspect was having both WWE and TNA developmental articles in the same issue. The new Performance Centre is of really interest to me given who will enter it the second week of July and how it will dictate WWE's future. I don't think enough can be written about it in all honesty. Gerry Briscoe seems like an amazing man with such vigour marching around colleges and competitions finding quality athletes and people after four strokes. It was also interesting to get the talent POV in the TNA one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Tna have a developmental facility?
    So thats where the generic androids for Gut Check come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

GTR63 wrote: »
    Tna have a developmental facility?
    So thats where the generic androids for Gut Check come from.

Indeed, it's another WWE cast-off: OVW.

rovert wrote: »
    Finally got round to finishing off the issue. Loved Bret's thoughts on King of The Ring 1993. Reaching out to Johnny Saint to write about McManus was a touch of class.

My favourite aspect was having both WWE and TNA developmental articles in the same issue. The new Performance Centre is of really interest to me given who will enter it the second week of July and how it will dictate WWE's future. I don't think enough can be written about it in all honesty. Gerry Briscoe seems like an amazing man with such vigour marching around colleges and competitions finding quality athletes and people after four strokes. It was also interesting to get the talent POV in the TNA one too.
    Thanks for the feedback - I've been hoping to get some here. :)

I agree with you on the Performance Centre. Triple-H is pushing the idea that they need real athletes with real pedigrees (no pun intended) to create stars. At the same time, however, he's now open to the idea that the indies are of value to WWE. It's possible that we won't see big changes until as far away as 2020, but the investment that he's put back into youth development is a massive step forward for WWE.

Issue 95 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

33kxhdi.jpg

- The recent character development of Daniel Bryan, and whether WWE will follow through on their plans to have him challenge John Cena
    - One of pro wrestling's premier talkers, Paul Heyman, who waxes lyrical about his career
    - The Wyatt Family, and why they have the confidence of Vince McMahon as they begin their Raw journey
    - “The Phenomenal” AJ Styles, and how he's being held back by yet another twist in his wrestling character
    - Perhaps the most viciously independent performer ever in pro wrestling, Bruiser Brody, as the 25th anniversary of his murder approaches
    - A major star of the World of Sport era, and one of the great technical wrestlers of his generation, Johnny Saint

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's columns,
    in a specially extended edition, Jim Cornette writes about the history of the War Games match, and how he adapted it for Smoky Mountain Wrestling and WWE. Also, Nick “Magnus” Aldis sets a few stories straight in regard to his own career, and comedian Brendon Burns asks whether any member of the WWE creative team ever says no to Vince McMahon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Finally got round to finishing off the issue. Loved Bret's thoughts on King of The Ring 1993.

I watched this recently. What did Bret say about it?

• Advertisement

I watched this recently. What did Bret say about it?
    Too much to mention here, really. He recalls all kinds of things about the lead-up to the show, including simple things like what the city of Dayton meant to him, before talking about the atmosphere backstage, and why certain spots were planned as they were.

I'm biased, but I highly recommend picking up the back issue as it will likely sell out in print shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Too much to mention here, really. He recalls all kinds of things about the lead-up to the show, including simple things like what the city of Dayton meant to him, before talking about the atmosphere backstage, and why certain spots were planned as they were.

I'm biased, but I highly recommend picking up the back issue as it will likely sell out in print shortly.
    It's probably fair to say that the KotR thing was a consolation prize for Bret because Hogan wouldn't drop the belt to him. The three matches are really good but the one with Perfect should've been last imo. The Bam Bam match wasn't that great, good but not great. I thought the false finish was a bit daft. They seem to be short on time as Bret was rushed to the podium for the coronation/angle with Lawler. That throne looked like it hurt!

Issue 96 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

wi7hbb.jpg

- Chris Jericho, and how arguably WWE's MVP of 2013 will be gone for at least the summer
    - The McMahon Family, and what their past as characters on WWE television can tell us about a proposed late-summer power struggle
    - SummerSlam 1998, which on its 15-year anniversary remains one of the most important and intriguing cards in WWE history
    - Lex Luger, who talks to FSM about his tremendous career and a miraculous life
    - Sabu, and how the nephew of The Sheik changed pro wrestling forever
    - The wrestling scene in Scotland, which is arguably the hottest territory in all of Europe
    - Kendo Nagasaki, who remains an enigma of professional wrestling. FSM profiles the masked man in the latest in the Greetings, Grapple Fans series.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's columns, ”Stone Cold” Steve Austin writes about the changes that he has seen in the in-ring style of professional wrestling down the years, and the greater risks that are taken today. Jim Cornette also writes about the legendary Jackie Fargo, who was one of the great stars of the U.S territory era, and Nick “Magnus” Aldis offers his reasons for broadening his working horizons as he simultaneously pushes forward with his career in TNA. Comedian Chris Brooker also pens a personal column about how he introduced pro wrestling to his girlfriend.

Issue 97 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

9b9g1d.jpg

- Randy Orton, and how WWE has made a bold storyline statement by allowing art to imitate real life
    - Daniel Bryan, and how the worst night of his professional career triggered a stardom he could barely have imagined
    - Jim Ross, who talks to FSM about his life in wrestling while on tour in the UK
    - Mid-South Wrestling, which is so fondly remembered as one of pro wrestling's premier territories of the 1980s
    - Mick McManus, in the latest of FSM's acclaimed series of World of Sport wrestling biographies
    - Ultimate Fighter competitors Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate, and how female combat in sports and entertainment has evolved in recent years.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's columns, Jim Cornette writes about his enjoyment of the recent Mid-Atlantic Wrestling Fanfest in Charlotte, and Nick “Magnus” Aldis tries to lighten the mood of recent serious columns by turning his wrath onto those he meets away from the ring. Comedian Billy Kirkwood also writes about the dangers of becoming infatuated with wrestling nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hi Brian,

Havent yet picked up the Orton issue of FSM but will as soon as I get a chance.
    I really enjoyed your look back at Summerslam 1998 in the previous issue. Liked the in-depth writing on it and the attention to detail was great, brought me right back to the Attitude Era. Has FSM got any more plans to review past PPV's in a similar manner?

Cheers

If I know that people like the articles then there's more of a chance of recurring the theme. Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The Mid South article by John Lister is a tremendous primer for the very soon to be released WWE Mid South DVD.

The Mid South article by John Lister is a tremendous primer for the very soon to be released WWE Mid South DVD.
    Thanks for the kind words. Jim Cornette was also full of praise for John Lister's article.

A couple of weeks away from sale yet, but there's some very cool stuff coming up next month. Enjoy this issue in the meantime.

Issue 98 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

2hn40n4.jpg

- Rob Van Dam, and how he has maintained his popularity throughout stints in ECW, TNA, and WWE
    - The deficiencies in the WWE roster, and which stars of yesteryear could round out the ranks
    - John Morrison, who talks to FSM about a potential return to the squared circle
    - Kurt Angle, and how the Olympic champion became an elite pro wrestler
    - Michinoku Pro Wrestling, and its influence on the sport, as the group get ready to tour the UK
    - One of World Of Sport wrestling's great characters, Jim Breaks, in the latest in the “Greetings, Grapple Fans” series
    - The heavyweights of MMA, boxing and pro wrestling, to suggest how each sport could learn from the other

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's columns, Jim Cornette wished to add his perspective on the Mid-South territory after reading John Lister's critically-acclaimed article in Issue 97. Furthermore, TNA's Nick “Magnus” Aldis does a little homework, analysing the matches of Jim Breaks from a modern perspective.

• Advertisement

Issue 99 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

35i6ueo.jpg

- The Ultimate Warrior, who speaks exclusively to FSM about Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, and his life in pro wrestling
    - Hulk Hogan, whose time in TNA may have drawn to a close, with the company in worse shape than when he arrived
    - AJ Lee, who has been one of the stand-out performers in WWE this year
    - Antonio Cesaro, whose popularity may see him soon make a difficult babyface turn
    - WWE 2K14, which has proved to be as much a history of WWE as it is a videogame
    - The National Wrestling Alliance, which strangled the business with mafioso tactics in order to retain the control its governors craved
    - Johnny Kidd, who was one of the young lions of World of Sport, and is still competing at 58 years of age

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's columns, Jim Cornette goes into detail about the circumstances that took him to work for the WWF in 1993. Furthermore, TNA's Nick “Magnus” Aldis spills the beans on a couple of his co-workers and their humorous escapades.

Thank you for your continued support. Please offer us your feedback by tweeting editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor.

Advertisement