Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Magazine Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

rovert wrote: »
    Shane did the US broadcast version of Sunday Night Heat from the show's debut to a good while after.

That explains why I don't remember it, having got Michael Hayes and Jonathan Coachman doing the UK version for Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

rovert wrote: »
    I guess we will be reading this Jim

jimmycornette8nj38.gif

So, I really did get Jim to take a look at the video for you guys. He told me: "When next to a buffoon, watching buffoonery, out-buffoon them all!"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

@Brian

I'm a major fan of FSM and have been since day one. Quick question. Are the girly centre-folds gonna become a staple (see what I did there...) of the Mag? I think that's a nice little touch. Cheers man

Omackeral wrote: »
    @Brian

I'm a major fan of FSM and have been since day one. Quick question. Are the girly centre-folds gonna become a staple (see what I did there...) of the Mag? I think that's a nice little touch. Cheers man
    We're never going to become a poster magazine, or anything even close to that, but we may try and add a little of this kind of flavour now and again.

Speaking of poster magazines, can anyone recall the name of the UK-based wrestling poster magazine that came out for a handful of issues in around 1993? Wrestling Big Shots, maybe? It was a small poster magazine that had a handful of news and Q&A items, and if my recollection is correct, it may have been the worst-designed magazine I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭JoeSnow

We're never going to become a poster magazine, or anything even close to that, but we may try and add a little of this kind of flavour now and again.

Speaking of poster magazines, can anyone recall the name of the UK-based wrestling poster magazine that came out for a handful of issues in around 1993? Wrestling Big Shots, maybe? It was a small poster magazine that had a handful of news and Q&A items, and if my recollection is correct, it may have been the worst-designed magazine I've ever seen.

From 1991 to 1993 there was a magazine called, "Wrestling Stars Magazine" which run out of Germany. However the last few editions were published in England with the minimal text translated - although the magazine still featured German indy wrestlers who nobody in England back then (pre Internet) would have had a clue who they were. Occasionally you see an edition appear on eBay, they always featured WWF talent on the front cover.

• Advertisement

JoeSnow wrote: »
    From 1991 to 1993 there was a magazine called, "Wrestling Stars Magazine" which run out of Germany. However the last few editions were published in England with the minimal text translated - although the magazine still featured German indy wrestlers who nobody in England back then (pre Internet) would have had a clue who they were. Occasionally you see an edition appear on eBay, they always featured WWF talent on the front cover.
    Interesting - thanks. I don't recall there being anyone in there but WWF and WCW stars, but I could be remembering it wrong as I wasn't even a teenager at the time.

Issue 80 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

21kdyev.jpg

In this month's edition, FSM has features on:
    - Why wrestling's top heels are so often cheered
    - How Brock Lesnar can rebound following his loss at Extreme Rules
    - FSM pays tribute to Davey Boy Smith, and talks to his family about the man himself
    - How Vince McMahon Sr. paved the way for his son's global success
    - FSM looks back on 10 years of TNA Wrestling
    - How Jimmy Jacobs became one of pro wrestling's best character actors
    - FSM examines the weird and wild world of Vampiro

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Alongside Jim Cornette and Nick “Magnus” Aldis in the columnist positions this month is the one and only Bret “The Hitman” Hart, who has a lot to say about the decline of realism in pro wrestling. Also in this issue, we continue with our revamped Letters page, and talk to Doug Williams and others for some Training Ground tips.

Not only will a print subscription save you significantly on FSM's cover price, but you'll also receive each issue a day or two early (subject to an efficient postal service), and get our free gift of the three-disc WWE: Hulk Hogan's Unreleased Collector's Series DVD.

2nlbv9f.jpg

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, which is unquestionably the most detailed and varied on the pro wrestling news-stand. If there is a topic that you would like to see FSM cover in a future issue, please get in touch by e-mailing contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk .

Hi folks,

I'd love some feedback on the latest issue if you an opinion or two to offer. I hope you're enjoying our mix of immediately-relevant articles and the historical ones. I like to think there's plenty of good reading in each month's FSM!

Thanks!

Issue 81 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

rh05lv.jpg

- Chris Jericho, who talks to FSM about his current relationship with pro wrestling
    - What history has to tell us about live wrestling TV, and three-hour weekly shows
    - Why Triple-H must be self-sacrificing if he is to succeed as Head of Talent Relations
    - How Vince McMahon's WWE changed in-ring wrestling, perhaps forever
    - AJ Styles talks to FSM about his career, and his upcoming UK appearance
    - How Japanese pro wrestling has so often thrived in utilising inter-promotional matches
    - Why no other heavyweight can match the performances of Big Japan's Daisuke Sekimoto
    - How Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen came to be the biggest grudge match in the history of MMA

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Back in the hotseat this month is “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, as he delivers a fascinating column on promos. from what makes a good promo, to the greatest exponents of the art, his own development in that area, and his advice to young wrestlers. Jim Cornette is also on hand to discuss the evolution of different styles of wrestling, and TNA's Nick “Magnus” Aldis reflects on the group's summer move to live television, and the pros and cons of doing so.

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter, or via contact(at)fightingspiritmagazine(dot)co(dot)uk. With 84 packed pages, FSM is by far the biggest pro wrestling publication on the news-stands, and features the most diverse, informative content, too. If you would like to see a topic discussed in the pages of FSM, please also get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

Hi folks,

I'd love some feedback on the latest issue if you an opinion or two to offer. I hope you're enjoying our mix of immediately-relevant articles and the historical ones. I like to think there's plenty of good reading in each month's FSM!

Thanks!

I'm not sure how I managed to get as far as issue 79 without ever purchasing FSM. Anyway, after really enjoying the two issues I've read so far, it's safe to say that I'll be buying it every month from now on.

I've been reading Power Slam for as long as I can remember but that's now something I've just started to skim whereas I'll read FSM cover to cover.

Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

iambrazil wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I managed to get as far as issue 79 without ever purchasing FSM. Anyway, after really enjoying the two issues I've read so far, it's safe to say that I'll be buying it every month from now on.

I've been reading Power Slam for as long as I can remember but that's now something I've just started to skim whereas I'll read FSM cover to cover.

Keep up the good work!
    Thank you - I'm really glad you enjoyed the issue. I like to think that if you are a fan of wrestling, and want to know more about wrestling, FSM is the choice for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I think I'll subscribe to FSM next pay day.

While I subscribe to Power Slam and enjoy it, I picked up a copy of FSM to pass the time on a trip to London a month or 2 ago and there is a hell of a lot more to it than Power Slam. I could probably read all I want to read from Power Slam in a lunch break in work but FSM takes a bit longer to get through. I kind of always passed on FSM because I thought it had more MMA content than it does, which doesnt interest me at all. I don't mind an article or 2 though.

Plus Austin and Cornettes contributions make it very appealing.

Andy_rse wrote: »
    I think I'll subscribe to FSM next pay day.

While I subscribe to Power Slam and enjoy it, I picked up a copy of FSM to pass the time on a trip to London a month or 2 ago and there is a hell of a lot more to it than Power Slam. I could probably read all I want to read from Power Slam in a lunch break in work but FSM takes a bit longer to get through. I kind of always passed on FSM because I thought it had more MMA content than it does, which doesnt interest me at all. I don't mind an article or 2 though.

Plus Austin and Cornettes contributions make it very appealing.

Thanks for the kind words. One of the things we're pleased to be able to bring you is a lot of value for your money in comparison to other publications. Quantity does not equal quality, but I think we do well there, too! :)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Issue 82 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]oqhdp5.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]In this month's edition, FSM has features on:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara, and their future as WWE pursues the Mexican market[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- The most memorable moments from 1,000 episodes of Monday Night Raw[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- How WWE should make more of the legends of the industry[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- How Ryback's enhancement matches have enhanced his popularity[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- FSM looks back on the career of Christopher Daniels, as he enjoys a fine run in TNA[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- FSM speaks to Davey Richards about his career, and about his future away from the ring[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- How Pat Roach became one of the most famous and well-respected British wrestlers in history[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- FSM sits down with Georges St. Pierre to talk his rehab, and whether he can return in 2012[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Stepping up for this month's Guest Column is former WCW and lucha libre star Konnan, who offers is first-hand experience of Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara to suggest how important they can still be for WWE. Jim Cornette is also on hand to discuss his memories of working on Raw, and TNA's Nick “Magnus” Aldis acknowledges just how much of an influence Japanese wrestling has had on his career, as he gets set to compete for Pro Wrestling NOAH.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter, or via [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]. With 84 packed pages, FSM is by far the biggest pro wrestling publication on the news-stands, and features the most diverse, informative content, too. If you would like to see a topic discussed in the pages of FSM, please also get in touch.[/FONT][/FONT]

Issue 83 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

2ugdwye.jpg

- The trend of change in WWE and TNA, and how it can make for a positive future
    - The history of the WWE World heavyweight title, and what it means in today's pro wrestling climate
    - FSM looks back on SummerSlam 1992, and the peak of the first WWF boom-period in the UK
    - How the world's most popular sport plays on the same emotions as pro wrestling
    - FSM examines the life and times of former WWWF champion Bruno Sammartino
    - Why the 1985-1986 period in Memphis Wrestling is one of the finest in the sport's TV history
    - FSM goes in-depth to introduce one of the UK's stand-out performers, Zack Sabre Jr, to a worldwide audience
    - How Big Daddy the biggest star in the history of British pro wrestling

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. “Stone Cold” Steve Austin returns this month to offer his personal opinion on the World heavyweight title, and the current titleholder, Sheamus. Nick “Magnus” Aldis reflects on his experience of a Native American pow-wow, and how it taught him some truths about the pro wrestling business. And last but not least, Jim Cornette offers up the full story of his debut in front of the camera, which was 30 years ago this month.

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter, or via contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk. With 84 packed pages, FSM is by far the biggest pro wrestling publication on the news-stands, and features the most diverse, informative content, too. If you would like to see a topic discussed in the pages of FSM, please also get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Great to see the article on SummerSlam 1992. Always love hearing different perspectives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Just reading a interview with New Jack in power slam. Don't usually read any of his interviews and after reading this i'm glad what a complete scumbag.

Great to see the article on SummerSlam 1992. Always love hearing different perspectives.
    Thank you. I've been looking forward to publishing that one. So many memories...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Issue 84 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]16limpg.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]In this month's edition, FSM has features on:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- The WWE title scene, and how it's already shaping up for WrestleMania XXIX[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- FSM talks to Austin Aries about his fantastic 2012, and how he was finally pushed to prominence[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- In the first of a two-part interview, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper talks about growing up in wrestling, getting kicked out of Japan, and breaking beer bottles over his head prior to moving to the WWF[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- FSM examines the career of the one and only “Beast From The East” Bam Bam Bigelow[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- How pro wrestling should embrace the idea of continuity, not rebel against it[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- FSM ponders the great double-acts in pro wrestling, and how they were more than the sum of their individual parts[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- Why New Japan's Fergal “Prince” Devitt should be the next young talent on WWE's hit-list[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]- In the latest in our series on the stars of classic British Wrestling, FSM recalls the life and times of “Mr TV” Jackie Pallo[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Our Guest Columnist this month is Mick Foley, fresh from a stint at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, to tell us a little more about the relationship between pro wrestling and comedy. Jim Cornette is also on hand to recall one of the great wrestling characters of all-time, Sputnik Munroe. And Nick Aldis, TNA's Magnus, has some harsh words for the cynics on the UK wrestling scene.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter, or via contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk. With 84 packed pages, FSM is by far the biggest pro wrestling publication on the news-stands, and features the most diverse, informative content, too. If you would like to see a topic discussed in the pages of FSM, please also get in touch.[/FONT]

Issue 85 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

x2nuvm.jpg

- Daniel Bryan's crazy 2012, that has offered him a surprising chance to shine
    - How Kane's 2012 has mirrored his entire 15-year WWE run
    - In part two of our in-depth interview with Roddy Piper, the former Intercontinental champion talks working for the WWF, WCW, and the many outside projects he's been a part of
    - On the anniversary of his death, FSM explores the remarkable life of Brian Pillman
    - How TNA's Bound For Glory Series proves there is life left in the tournament format
    - Why Ken Anderson needs a new lease of life to fulfil his potential in TNA
    - In the latest in our series on the stars of classic British Wrestling, FSM looks at one of the most underrated talents in the sport, “The Amazing” Kung Fu

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. In this month's columns, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin returns to supplement our feature on Brian Pillman with a personal recollection of the man. Jim Cornette is also on hand to retort to the controversial column by Michael Campbell on the issues he believes are hurting Ring Of Honor. Last but certainly not least, Nick Aldis (TNA's Magnus) talks about presenting UK's Strongest Man, and how he learned a lot on the job, just as he did in pro wrestling.

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter (@FSM_Editor), or via contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk. We are very grateful for the excellent feedback over the last 18 months, so please get in touch if you have something to add. Enjoy the issue!

• Advertisement

How did everyone enjoy the Roddy Piper interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

They were very good very interesting. My favourite things outta the last couple of issues were the contributors pieces which in Cornette's case took issue with one of your writers and Austin's which was a brilliant supplement to the Pillman article

Thanks for the feedback. The new issue is out on Thursday, but UK subscribers received their copy on Monday. I'm hoping that Irish subscribers received their copy today (Tues).

I'll put up all the details on Thursday. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got my issue in the post this morning , no hassle like the other issues of the magazine.

Signed back up for another year , as I said on Facebook , price could be the same or closer to the UK one and why mo gift for non UK!

Issue 86 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

2i22byt.jpg

- Randy Orton's recent WWE lull, and how now is the time to inject some life back into his character
    - How Paul Heyman became renowned as one of pro wrestling's great minds
    - Booker T talks to FSM about turning his life around after prison, working for WCW and WWE, and his infamous brawl with Batista
    - How Jeff Hardy has found another chance as the World champion and figurehead of TNA Wrestling
    - FSM looks back at Bill Watts' run as the head of WCW, and explains why time has been kind to what was a poor period for business
    - How The Fabulous Moolah's strength of character made her the undisputed queen of women's pro wrestling
    - As Ricky Hatton gets set to make a comeback to boxing, FSM speaks to him, Frank Shamrock, and Terry Funk about their returns to the ring
    - In the latest in our series on the stars of classic British Wrestling, FSM looks at the colourful life of Tony “Banger” Walsh

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. In this month's columns, Jim Cornette adds his own personal take on Bill Watts' run in WCW, with all of the details about the angle that they concocted, and who destroyed it. Also, in what is currently a controversial topic in UK pro wrestling, TNA's Nick “Magnus” Aldis discusses his experience as a young wrestler, in order to advise those who work for free on the local scene.

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter (@FSM_Editor), or via contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk. We are very grateful for the excellent feedback over the last 18 months, so please get in touch if you have something to add. Enjoy the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I haven't even started reading the last issue yet! Ha ha.

Issue 87 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

32zjipc.jpg

- WWF vs. WWE, and how some of pro wrestling's current performers match up statistically to their predecessors
    - Why Vince McMahon always relies primarily on himself when WWE's chips are down
    - After some odd behaviour from babyfaces and heels on recent shows, FSM looks at the role of the tweener
    - FSM looks back on the remarkable period that spawned the marvellous “Smackdown Six”
    - FSM talks to “Cowboy” James Storm about his role in TNA, and his hopes for the future
    - Following his brilliant performances at PWG's Battle of Los Angeles and at FightClub:PRO, FSM shines a much-deserved spotlight on Adam Cole
    - Up alongside Big Daddy and Mick McManus, Giant Haystacks was one of British wrestling's household names. FSM delves into the career of the biggest man in World of Sport history

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. In this month's columns, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin offers up his personal recollections of working with, and under, Vince McMahon. Jim Cornette recalls the occasions, as both a manager and promoter, that he found himself involved in confrontations with over-excited fans. Also, TNA's Nick “Magnus” Aldis discusses shares some of the things that inspire him to make the most of a career that surely has its best moments yet to come.

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter (@FSM_Editor), or via contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk. It's a great time to be a pro wrestling fan, so enjoy the sport you love with us!

Issue 88 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

k985qb.jpg

- CM Punk's remarkable year as WWE champion, and how long he can retain the title
    - FSM chats to former World heavyweight champion Edge about his career, and the difficulties of retiring young
    - Pro wrestling has garnered a reputation for bad taste down the years, but how did that occur, and is it justified?
    - With the recent debut of British Bootcamp, FSM goes behind the scenes on the participants, as well as what they can offer the competition, and Impact Wrestling
    - In one of the most remarkable articles in FSM history, the ex-wife of The Dynamite Kid, Michelle Billington, writes a personal account of their life together, and what the man himself was truly like. This articles features a level of detail you won't find in any other document on The Dynamite Kid – even his own autobiography
    - Lauded by famed wrestlers the world over, FSM's monthly foray into the personalities of classic British wrestling this month leads us to Marty Jones
    - Georges St. Pierre may soon be set to face Nick Diaz, but a superfight with Anderson Silva may be the most exciting bout on the horizon. FSM examines the history of clashes between weight-classes

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. In this month's columns, Dr. Tom Prichard offers a personal appraisal of The Shield, and suggests what Ambrose, Reigns, and Rollins must do to advance in WWE; Nick Aldis (TNA's Magnus) adds to our article on British Bootcamp by offering insight into the personalities on the show; former ROH World champion Davey Richards tell us how he was inspired to become a wrestler by The Dynamite Kid; and Jim Cornette, currently on a sabbatical from Ring of Honor, tells us exactly why he felt he needed to step away from his role as Executive Producer.

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter (@FSM_Editor), or via contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk. We've already heard very positive thoughts on this issue, and hope will you agree. Thank you!

I realise there hasn't been too much discussion of the magazine in recent weeks, but I would implore everyone to read the Dynamite Kid article this month, as penned by his ex-wife, Michelle Billington. If you ever wanted to know about the man behind the wrestler, there is - in my opinion - no better document than this article, and that includes his own autobiography.

Please let me know your thoughts on this article, and the issue as a whole. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've not got around to the Dynamite article just yet as I like to make the publication last at least a few days and keep the big bumper interviews for last, kinda like a Main Event if that makes sense.

So far I've really enjoyed Dr. Tom Prichard's guest column I must say. Will you have him back at all Brian? Was a very fresh feel to his writing and, obviously, his subject matter too.

Edge's interview made me happy. It's great to see someone 'escape' the business in one piece. While it wasn't exactly on his own terms, he went out retaining a World Championship on the biggest show of the year.

I look forward to Michelle Billington's interview but part of me is also dreading it, I can see some gritty and dark stories being told. Keep up the great work, I purchase your fine magazine every month and look forward to getting issue 89, 99 and beyond.

Advertisement