Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Magazine Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

I'm going to abolish that Next Month page, because everything changes in the time that I'm preparing the next magazine for release. :) Simply put, I felt that the Bobby Roode article was more interesting this month, and that there was a better balance to the content by just not going with a Hogan article at all.

It's unfortunate when content is suggested and then it doesn't make the cut the following month. You'll have to trust me that the changes are for the better!

Ah that’s grand thanks for the clear explanation; I agree the Bobby Roode interview was a better idea.

Also a good idea to scrap the next month page, me personally wasn’t over worried that Hogan piece didn’t make it, but it could easily turn someone off buying the mag because said piece wasn’t in it.

• Got the magazine when I was up north yesterday (£3.50 compared to €5, but that’s a separate issue)
    • I just picked it up then was confused as Eason’s in Enniskillen displayed it with the Wwe`12 special cover and I had to look again to make sure it was the right issue.
    • Read the Steen piece, very well done and something I’d like to see more of as I don’t bother watching Wwe or Tna
    • I am looking forward to reading the piece on the wrestling games over the years. I remember royal rumble on the mega drive and loving how you could have 8 or was it 4 in the ring at once.
    • Got a spoiler on the Chikara ippv, but then I suppose it has aired some time ago
    • Im sure the piece of the latest Dragon Gate tour will only make me want to see it more
    • Will subscribe for the start of the New Year and also an added bonus to have the Chris Kanyon book thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

Hi folks,

I have been asked to refrain from posting FSM updates in the manner of previous months, although I'm still waiting on confirmation of what is acceptable to post in that vein. :) I have asked to become a spokesperson as such for FSM, and I hope that the mods will take into account that my initial reason for signing up was to help Irish subscribers with problems they were having.

If there are any questions about FSM that I can answer in the meantime, please post them there or send me a PM.

Thank you.

Seen as Brian cant post the info and I have nothing to do with the magazine, heres the cover of the latest issue out now

25ga1d4.jpg

FSM Facebook

www.facebook.com/groups/fightingspiritmagazine/

The mods have allowed me to post the update for this issue here. Thank you!

In this issue, we have features on:
    - The Rock vs. John Cena feud as it gets ready for the big push towards WrestleMania
    - Will Zack Ryder continue to rise to the top of WWE?
    - FSM talks to Dave Batista about a possible return to thre squared circle
    - How The Legion Of Doom's initial run was a first for tag team wrestling
    - FSM examines the changing career of Scott Steiner
    - Louis Theroux gives us his thoughts on his Weird Weekend at the WCW Power Plant
    - Following John Morrison's departure from WWE, FSM ponders the political minefield behind the scenes in the company
    - How the decade of the 1990s was a remarkable period in the history of All Japan Pro Wrestling
    - FSM looks at the remarkable tale of Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier, and how it remains the greatest rivalry in all of sports entertainment

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. We also have our distinguished columnists Bill Apter, Nick "Magnus" Aldis, Lance Storm, and RD Reynolds offering up the benefit of their experience in the pro wrestling business.

Happy New Year to all readers of Fighting Spirit Magazine! FSM will continue where it left off in 2011, as the essential monthly magazine for true pro wrestling fans. We are very thankful to our loyal readership for spreading the word of FSM's "reboot" in the last 12 months; please continue to help us be the best publication that we can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Is anybody subscribed to WWE Magazine these days??

https://www.facebook.com/events/335445139808839/

Issue 076 arrived today , second issue in subscription without any issues, even got my kanyon book from subscribing a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to reading the piece on the ECW arena and already looking forward to the piece on PWG in the next issue ( hopefully its not cut)

The new issue of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

k00ak4.jpg

In Issue 76, we have features on:
    - Chris Jericho’s return to WWE, and how it should come as no surprise that he has developed a new and intriguing character
    - FSM looks back at the year that was 2011
    - How Wade Barrett’s grounding in British wrestling has helped him back to the top of WWE
    - Why those in the media industry want nothing to do with the WWE Network
    - With the Royal Rumble imminent, FSM examines the history of the battle royal
    - FSM looks back at the history of the ECW Arena, which may well have hosted its last pro wrestling event
    - Following his retirement from the UFC, FSM looks back at the MMA career of Brock Lesnar, and ponders how the sport will cope with the loss of its top draw

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. We also have our distinguished columnists Bill Apter, Nick "Magnus" Aldis, Lance Storm, and RD Reynolds offering up the benefit of their experience in the pro wrestling business.

If you enjoy this issue of FSM, or have enjoyed other recent issues, please tweet us @fsm_editor. Feel free to do likewise if there’s an article that you would like to see in the pages of FSM in the future.

If you picked up this month's edition of FSM, I'd really like to know what you would like to see more of / less of in future issues. You'd be helping me out! :)

jeffk wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/events/335445139808839/

Issue 076 arrived today , second issue in subscription without any issues, even got my kanyon book from subscribing a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to reading the piece on the ECW arena and already looking forward to the piece on PWG in the next issue ( hopefully its not cut)

PWG article will be in the new issue in about 10 days. :)

• Advertisement

IMPORTANT: This month's FSM has an a full, alternative back cover! Please see both images below.

2qk11dh.jpg

2yys1so.jpg

In this month's issue, FSM has features on:
    - Hulk Hogan, who speaks at length to FSM about his time in WWE, WCW, and TNA
    - TNA's Maximum Impact Tour 2012, and the first-ever TNA UK television tapings
    - How television has shaped WWE creative in the Entertainment Era
    - Why Pro Wrestling Guerrilla remains the most entertaining of all the indys
    - How Hiroshi Tanahashi turned his career around to become a New Japan record breaker
    - How the glitz, glamour and spectacular match-making of PRIDE FC made it the MMA fans' choice in the early-2000s
    - And FSM reviews the new UFC Undisputed 3 release, asking whether it truly is the greatest MMA videogame in history

We'd love to hear your feedback on this issue of FSM. Send us a tweet to @fsm_editor !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Bought FSM last week (the issue with Jericho on the cover) and I enjoyed reading it a lot more then I've enjoyed reading Power Slam of late.Thought the articles about the WWE network and Wade Barrett were particularly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Only Power Slam is stocked by my unreliable local newsagent but I don't complain. Any mag with a award for Most Apathetic Wrestler of the Year is alrite in my books.

Arrived this morning, once again no delivery issues with my subscription.

Not a fan of Mma so glad to see the double cover, clever the way the cover ties in with basically a mini mag about Hogan/Tna in the UK

Looking forward to reading the piece on Pwg, shame theres no recent Dvd review to tie in with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Arrived this morning, once again no delivery issues with my subscription.

Not a fan of Mma so glad to see the double cover, clever the way the cover ties in with basically a mini mag about Hogan/Tna in the UK

Looking forward to reading the piece on Pwg, shame theres no recent Dvd review to tie in with it

Do you know Alan4l the author of the PWG article at all? By internet rep?

Great fella. Cant wait to read his PWG and Tanahashi piece as they are two of his favourite things in the world.

Also PRIDE FC has probably made me weep in joy more than any entity in the world.

rovert wrote: »
    Do you know Alan4l the author of the PWG article at all? By internet rep?

Great fella. Cant wait to read his PWG and Tanahashi piece as they are two of his favourite things in the world.

Also PRIDE FC has probably made me weep in joy more than any entity in the world.

No, outside the named writers and Brian the editor I don’t know them at all; just I love PWG and am happy to see it get some well-deserved coverage!

I have tried MMA a few times and I just can’t get into it, I’d say like most wrestling fans I seen Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashely fights. Outside that I tried some best of dvds, but it just never clicked with me.

No, outside the named writers and Brian the editor I don’t know them at all; just I love PWG and am happy to see it get some well-deserved coverage!

Wow if you are fan of PWG you need to subscribe to Wrestling Observer as there is a bunch of fans there. Alan has interviewed most guys on the roster and Excalibur is a semi regular guest on the show.

rovert wrote: »
    Wow if you are fan of PWG you need to subscribe to Wrestling Observer as there is a bunch of fans there. Alan has interviewed most guys on the roster and Excalibur is a semi regular guest on the show.

Thanks for the advice , but $120 a year :eek: , think ill keep subscribing to FSM instead!

Thanks for the advice , but $120 a year :eek: , think ill keep subscribing to FSM instead!

Not getting into that debate again on here but a lot of people think it is worth it or probably worth more even. :)

Doesnt stop you from subbing for a month and robbing all the audio and stuff.

Long story short Alan is a top man and the best person to write those two articles IMO.

Personally I got the mag in the post yesterday not issues as per normal. Cant wait to read it on the weekend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The Wrestling Observer seems like Christianity in relief countries. Always trying to convert people! Hiyooooooo

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    The Wrestling Observer seems like Christianity in relief countries. Always trying to convert people! Hiyooooooo

I said I didnt want to get into it again.

I am not trying to convert people. I reccomend lots of products here. Including the magazine this thread is about. :rolleyes: I'll never get you being so combative about people paying for the Observer as this absurd level of fandom when you are an active mod on Pro Wrestling forum on the biggest Board in Ireland. Sorry but that is a much bigger step and commitment.

If Alan's podcast were always free I would post them here especially those with Justin and Eamon as they are the most enjoyable "fans being fans" podcasts around. If you dont take my word as Diabhal and others on that. The ONLY thing this has to do with the Observer is that podcast is hosted on that site.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I wonder how many times you can recommend the same paysite before it becomes shilling.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I wonder how many times you can recommend the same paysite before it becomes shilling.

This whatever this is it is getting really petty.

When was the last time I did it? Like I haven't recommended PWTorch or PWInsider as well. I already explained myself the only reason I mentioned it is that Alan who writes for FSM also hosts a forum and a podcast there. A lot of people solely sub for it.

Whenever he has posted a free show of interest Ive posted it here for example:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73857624&postcount=20

If you want to do me for schilling then do it for schilling Alan(4L) Couhian and FSM. Here is Diabhal praising Alan's show there at the expense of what else is on offer: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75222985&postcount=48

Alan is one of the nicer guys around and a buddy excuse me if I get a kick out of him getting on in the Pro Graps world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It isn't shilling. Jeffk praised the PWG article, the writer is a fairly well-known Observer contributor and rovert mentioned that in case jeffk might be interest. Dunno why it's a big deal to mention the best source for news and content on a forum that is fairly smart anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

I'm more of a lurker here now than a regular poster but I just wanted to add something to this recent bit of discussion. I don't want this to seem like it's a 'shill' for either FSM or the Wrestling Observer website as it makes no difference to me if people buy their products or not. (Full disclosure I pay for both)

This is just from my personal experience but if you ever feel your passion for watching wrestling to be on the wane then you should either listen to Alan4L talk about it or read his stuff in FSM. That'll soon bring you around again.

Sorry if this was off topic or anything but what can you do. I look forward to picking up my FSM on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

chordtype wrote: »
    This is just from my personal experience but if you ever feel your passion for watching wrestling to be on the wane then you should either listen to Alan4L talk about it or read his stuff in FSM. That'll soon bring you around again.

Cheers for the tip, any link to his latest podcast?

Charisteas wrote: »
    Cheers for the tip, any link to his latest podcast?
    I believe this is it: http://tinyurl.com/82xwblo

Thanks everyone for the kind words about FSM.

I like to think that FSM helps fans want to watch wrestling, whereas there are some publications that make even long-time supporters want to hate it. (That doesn't mean that we don't cover serious issues - it just means that we try to bring you the best of pro wrestling every month.) Since I asked him to begin working with us in 2011, Alan has become a major representative of this FSM philosophy, and he's used his expertise to put together some great articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I pay for a monthly sub to the observer every.. 3 months or so. Hoover up as much audio as possible for the college commute, and then wait until I get through that before joining again. I think its well worth it. 10e or so for a few months worth of good wrestling discussion.

I believe this is it: http://tinyurl.com/82xwblo

Thanks everyone for the kind words about FSM.

I like to think that FSM helps fans want to watch wrestling, whereas there are some publications that make even long-time supporters want to hate it. (That doesn't mean that we don't cover serious issues - it just means that we try to bring you the best of pro wrestling every month.) Since I asked him to begin working with us in 2011, Alan has become a major representative of this FSM philosophy, and he's used his expertise to put together some great articles.

The same reason I like Alan4l's output in general so much is linked to why I like FSM. I stopped reading Wrestling Magazines a few years ago as the old Fighting Spirit was really poor and primarily due to Powerslam fulfilling the old adage about familiarity breeds contempt. Like I've said elsewhere I've tremendous respect for Finlay finding a formula that is extremely time tested. But I was so sick of how predictable articles where written and selected. Also don't get me started on the unrelenting negativity of the editorial.

Likewise with Wrestling Observer I've gotten bored with the MMA doing Pro Wrestling better Pro Wrestling nonsense, Bryan Alverez's "all Wrestling sucks these days" schtick when he barely ever watches the good stuff as he can't be arsed and in terms of Wrestling scoops the whole plans change all the time disclaimer on everything. I miss the fun of the first few years the Bryan and Vinny shows had which was initial reason I signed up for the site now it is largely snide and slap dash. JayK seems to think I am this blind Meltzer/Wrestling Observer zealot when anyone who subscribes there will tell you I am not. Seems like a futile effort on here even pointing it out.

Both Bryan Alverez and Finlay Martin seem to begin watching a match or show in this pit of misery and worrying about buy rates rather just watching from a clean slate. Bryan is a horrible influence on Dave Meltzer at times as he gets sucked into the intense negativity. Dave still finds a lot to love about Wrestling but it has to be drawn out of him on radio shows. At least with Alan and FSM have sense of proportion and can spot when they are being redundant. I am kind of being unfair to Bryan but there is a lot merit to what I am saying.

Alan is quickly becoming Johnny Giles to my Eamonn Dunphy here in this thread but he is such a leveller to all the merited and unmerited negativity on the Observer site. When it comes to matches and match quality his opinions are sought after by loads of fans on the internet and a number of wrestlers & promoters even stated he is the main person who search for to get opinions on their matches. People used to do the same with Dave Meltzer back in the day but Dave is getting older, his time is spilt with MMA, he's a bit of an auld fella when comes to watching Wrestling (Puro/Indy iPPVs) on a computer instead preferring on still waiting for someone to send him a tape, barely watches indies etc. So if Dave reviews something it could take months if at all. So that function has kind of filtered down to Alan. Some other wrestling fans on other forums resent that hugely but Alan got it by having his finger on the pulse and being nice, representable guy. Before this gets too single white female until late last year I would have said similar things about Rob Naylor who wrote for FSM until he got signed for FCW.

Simply put I dont hate Wrestling after reading FSM or listening to Alan's podcast. I either say cheers to Brian somewhere online or ask Alan does he have a link to that Dragon Gate match he was talking about. :)

• Advertisement

The new issue of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

10q9gf4.jpg

In this month's issue, FSM has features on:
    - How WWE's vociferous audience may decide the outcome of The Rock vs. John Cena
    - Why Chris Hero is ready to mix it up in WWE
    - How pro wrestling is split over a legitimate Hall of Fame
    - Mick Foley chats to FSM about his stand-up tour, and his future in wrestling
    - How Vince Russo lived the dream of writing WWE and TNA television
    - FSM reflects on the fascinating career of “Bad News” Allen Coage (Bad News Brown)
    - How talkSPORT's Talk Wrestling radio show brought the business back to the mainstream
    - On the 10th anniversary of Ring Of Honor’s existence, FSM looks back at the company's many highlights
    - And with Jon Jones the massive betting favourite going into his match with Rashad Evans on April 21, FSM examines the other MMA fighters who have seemed invincible, but who soon met their match

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. This issue also marks the end for our distinguished columnists Bill Apter, Lance Storm, and RD Reynolds, who are stepping aside for Issue 79, so be sure to read their final column, too.

Going forward, your feedback to us will be more important than ever, as we plan to print your social media comments in future print issues. Send us a tweet to @fsm_editor !

Advertisement