Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preseason Games Thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just seen my favourite moment of preseason.

"False start, offense, entire offensive line...."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Just seen my favourite moment of preseason.

"False start, offense, entire offensive line...."

:D

Did you see the great Ravens effort on that punt to keep it out of the endzone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭boccy23

The Giants / Jets game has been moved up to 2PM ET (7PM here) on Saturday night. Whoo hoo. Can watch a full preseason game live now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

I was very impressed by Tyrod Taylor last night, wouldn't be surprised to see him taking the starting spot off Flacco sooner rather than later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I was very impressed by Tyrod Taylor last night, wouldn't be surprised to see him taking the starting spot off Flacco sooner rather than later

Doubt that will happen anytime soon. Personally I think Ravens fans are aiming blame in the wrong place when it came to Flacco. Flacco himself looked sharp last night. The Ravens had needed a fast outside WR for a long time and Lee Evans is that guy. Who looked very sharp last night and that pass Flacco threw to him was inch perfect. Mason was good with the Ravens but the Ravens hadn't had a Fast deep guy in quite some time.

Now they have the Fast guy in Evans and the possession guy in Boldin. I personally see Flacco doing better this year. The playoffs will be his judge. That will be where he needs to prove whether or not he can raise his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Doubt that will happen anytime soon. Personally I think Ravens fans are aiming blame in the wrong place when it came to Flacco. Flacco himself looked sharp last night. The Ravens had needed a fast outside WR for a long time and Lee Evans is that guy. Who looked very sharp last night and that pass Flacco threw to him was inch perfect. Mason was good with the Ravens but the Ravens hadn't had a Fast deep guy in quite some time.

Now they have the Fast guy in Evans and the possession guy in Boldin. I personally see Flacco doing better this year. The playoffs will be his judge. That will be where he needs to prove whether or not he can raise his game.

I'm not a Ravens fan by any stretch of the imagination but admittedly I've never really rated Flacco either. I think Taylor fits in quite well with the Ravens offence and from listening to a few interviews with Cam Cameron and Harbaugh they seem to really rate him and he's impressed during camp.

I'm not a Ravens fan by any stretch of the imagination but admittedly I've never really rated Flacco either. I think Taylor fits in quite well with the Ravens offence and from listening to a few interviews with Cam Cameron and Harbaugh they seem to really rate him and he's impressed during camp.

Have to say I like Taylor also but I can't see the Ravens dumping Flacco this season in favour of Taylor. Cameron and Harbaugh love Flacco also so if anything they may use Taylor in the odd situational plays for now. Id say Flacco knows though its now or never. The fact Taylor has jumped straight into 2nd on the depth Flacco knows its time to put up shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Flacco is the case of a QB with all the attributes and abilities with bad mental problems.

Case in point last night they showed the Steelers game were Polamalu blitz 4 times from the stong side and it wasn't like he was standing back in coverage he was at the line of scrimmage. Four times Flacco failed to audible a block to that side. FFS he had a HB stretch to that side were Polamalu was and didn't audible to the other side.

He gets the jitters far to easy and when he panics it goes HORRIBLE wrong. Now im willing to admit his OL has been dreadfull but far too many times he's wilted in the pocket and stared at the rushers then checking it down or looking downfield.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Flacco is the case of a QB with all the attributes and abilities with bad mental problems.

Case in point last night they showed the Steelers game were Polamalu blitz 4 times from the stong side and it wasn't like he was standing back in coverage he was at the line of scrimmage. Four times Flacco failed to audible a block to that side. FFS he had a HB stretch to that side were Polamalu was and didn't audible to the other side.

He gets the jitters far to easy and when he panics it goes HORRIBLE wrong. Now im willing to admit his OL has been dreadfull but far too many times he's wilted in the pocket and stared at the rushers then checking it down or looking downfield.

See one thing about picking up blocks especially on a run to the side of the blitz its not always the QB who makes the change to pick up the blitzer. The Centre should have been smarter to get Polomalu picked up by passing the block down. Granted Flacco should have called some sort of Audible to let them know he was coming again but if it happens more than once in row there is more than 1 person at blame.

With the Ravens moving Oher back to RT and putting McKinnie to LT I guarantee you Flacco will be a lot less jittery. Oher has been woeful at LT.

The Packers have now used the no huddle offence 3 times this preseason.

Each time, they've gone 70+ yards for a touchdown. What a weapon for them. Finley's TD just now was brilliant.

• Advertisement

Tyrod Taylor is a steal alright, a few inches taller and a few more pounds and he'd be the next Michael Vick. There is NO way he would get starter off of Flacco, though they probably said that when Tom Brady was impressive as backup to the great Drew Bledsoe.
    Stev_o wrote: »

The Center was at fault for Polamalu being able to blitz so easily, Flacco's problem is that if he doesn't get a read quickly he panics. What people don't notice though is he does better against the Steelers than most quarterbacks.

As for his mental problems, I think he's clutch but the entire rest of his team are chokers:
    2009 season, week 4, Ravens vs. Patriots: Flacco engineers comeback with pats still leading 27-21, 4th down, 4th quarter, Ravens on the Pats 21, Flacco throws a beautiful pass right in the bread basket for Mark Clayton, Clayton drops it, thankfully he was released. Game lost
    2009, week 6, ravens vikes:
    Baltimore 27-10 down with 10 minutes left, Flacco gets us to 31-30, defense lets him down by giving up a field goal, Flacco doing the 2 minute drill drove us down to the Minnesota 27 and spiked it. Steve hauschka missed a 44 yarder, he was released and I'm almost happy he missed it as it meant we signed Billy Cundiff.
    2010, Ravens Falcons: Flacco gets us back from 20-7 down to 21-20 with a minute left and the defense lets Roddy White score to win the game.
    2010, playoffs vs. Steelers: Flacco, after a nullified touchdown due to a play Ronaldo would be proud of, gets us to the Steelers 6, and throws a pass in the endzone to Boldin who drops it. Then on 4th and 18 as our last chance, he throws a perfect pass to Housh who has it bounce off his chest.

Also, if you take out games vs. the Bengals (and this year he shouldn't have problems against them with no Joseph) last year he had 24 touchdowns to 5 interceptions. Playing against the 2 worst divisions for pass defense this year should help him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Taylor is improving with every game as his confidence and poise grows. He'll get even more chances next game against the Falcons
    He was expected to be third string this year with Ravens signing a vet but with his improvement it looks like he'll be Flacco's backup. But even that isn't certain

So Onecoolcookie , you're getting way ahead of yourself if you see Flacco getting benched for Taylor.
    There were the same calls when Troy Smith was around but what's that they say about the backup QB being the most popular player in town.

O line will make or break Ravens season.
    And the solution wasn't signing all these right tackles like the promising Jah Reid or the Patriots player LeVoir.
    Ravens had a RT all along, it's Michael Oher and he needs to go back to the right side.

If McKinnie can perform at LT then prospects are looking a lot brighter

On another note, last years defensive coordinator Greg Mattison were here when his son Bryan was signed to the practice squad
    Oh you bet they were howls of nepotism and "daddys boy" on the forums ;)

He's actually pretty good and has done a a solid job at center. Not saying he's a starter in the league or anything but he's proved a lot of people wrong.

I don't know other examples of coaches and their sons on the same team though there are probably a few

mikemac wrote: »
    Taylor is improving with every game as his confidence and poise grows. He'll get even more chances next game against the Falcons
    He was expected to be third string this year with Ravens signing a vet but with his improvement it looks like he'll be Flacco's backup. But even that isn't certain

So Onecoolcookie , you're getting way ahead of yourself if you see Flacco getting benched for Taylor.
    There were the same calls when Troy Smith was around but what's that they say about the backup QB being the most popular player in town.

O line will make or break Ravens season.
    And the solution wasn't signing all these right tackles like the promising Jah Reid or the Patriots player LeVoir.
    Ravens had a RT all along, it's Michael Oher and he needs to go back to the right side.

If McKinnie can perform at LT then prospects are looking a lot brighter

On another note, last years defensive coordinator Greg Mattison were here when his son Bryan was signed to the practice squad
    Oh you bet they were howls of nepotism and "daddys boy" on the forums ;)

He's actually pretty good and has done a a solid job at center. Not saying he's a starter in the league or anything but he's proved a lot of people wrong.

I don't know other examples of coaches and their sons on the same team though there are probably a few

Grubbs and Oher are both brilliant players so that's LG and RT sorted. Birk is an above average center so that's that sorted and Yanda is well above average at RG so that's that sorted. Reid is a future starter and I think McKinnie will be good enough. Hopefully in week 1 he can pick up Polamalu's blitzes and not have him do a strip-sack.

Things are looking good again for the Ravens, the DL is young and will be one of the best if Cody is anything that Newsome thinks he is. Ngata is proven at DE and Redding is a quality starter and knows to play until the whistle is blown (unlike 21 other players at the game in Pittsburgh). At LB Lewis may get old but we have a good young guy, Kindle and Suggs will be great as usual. At safety we have the best FS and 2 guys capable of starting at SS and we have a 5 way battle for starter at corner with everyone being capable of performing. With the offense the OL should improve purely because Oher is back at his natural position. Signing the best FB in the league should help the backfield. WR could hardly get worse from last season.

Oh my god Painter is not playing terrible. Sounds like the competition is improving him.

He's no Jim Sorgi ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

27-10 half time to the Lions vs Patriots at Ford Field.

Lions seem to be treating this like a regular season game and if I'm honest look really impressive even though the Pats aren't as geed up.

The defensive line is causing mayhem and Cliff Avril has two sacks already and Brady is getting pressured quite a bit, he even got intercepted with about 30 seconds left in the half from which Lions got a touchdown a few plays later.

I know its only pre season but things auger well this year for us Lions. I think we will win the lion's share of our games this season.

I'm a go to bed happy.

27-10 half time to the Lions vs Patriots at Ford Field.

Lions seem to be treating this like a regular season game and if I'm honest look really impressive even though the Pats aren't as geed up.

The defensive line is causing mayhem and Cliff Avril has two sacks already and Brady is getting pressured quite a bit, he even got intercepted with about 30 seconds left in the half from which Lions got a touchdown a few plays later.

I know its only pre season but things auger well this year for us Lions. I think we will win the lion's share of our games this season.

I'm a go to bed happy.

Need I remind you that you went 4-0 in the preseason and 0-16 in the regular season?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

matthew8 wrote: »
    Need I remind you that you went 4-0 in the preseason and 0-16 in the regular season?

I fúcking know only too well. Still the team looks like a very cohesive unit. Stafford's throwing is immaculate, if he stays fit the whole season, Lions will make a playoff run.

I fúcking know only too well. Still the team looks like a very cohesive unit. Stafford's throwing is immaculate, if he stays fit the whole season, Lions will make a playoff run.

Pissing against the wind there mate! :pac:

Good finish to the Jags and Bills

Bills scored a TD, under fifty seconds on the clock, go for two get it to tie for OT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

matthew8 wrote: »

There's about zero correlation between the quality and potential of this Lions team and the one that went 0-16. They have plenty of reasons beyond crushing the Patriots in a pre-season game to be confident about this season and the future in general.

Syferus wrote: »
    There's about zero correlation between the quality and potential of this Lions team and the one that went 0-16. They have plenty of reasons beyond crushing the Patriots in a pre-season game to be confident about this season and the future in general.

Exactly this. Id say the Lions were disappointed the Pats didn't give them a better game last night. The Pats left so many players back in New England.

But the Lions have a lot of potential and if they can keep Stafford healthy fook me they will do well this year. That D-line alone is enough reasons to get excited and they have in my opinion the best WR in the League in Calvin Johnson and Stafford being healthy is a great thing for those WR.

Honestly I can see them making the playoffs this year and I would have said that even before last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The Lions won't make the playoffs. The NFC North is too packed with decent teams. The Packers will walk the division but the other 3 teams are all competitive. Second, third and fourth in that division are all interchangeable. I can't see the Lions sweeping the Bears and Vikings home and away, which they will probably have to do to achieve a wildcard in the NFC. They have loads of talent but the OL, Secondary and backfield are all questionable. And that's presuming Stafford stays fit. They'll beat good teams but won't be consistent enough to win 11 games

Gonna stay up and watch Giants and Jets
    Dislike both teams though :P

What a hit, ouch
    From Saints and Raiders last night

Beats a double team and lays out the QB
    Rodgers is a fine player, I was tipping the Texans to take him but it was the Saints

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Monster hit. Credit to Boller for hanging in there and making the pass.

Advertisement