Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senator wants two hour limit on games consoles

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Clearly the problem is not the console.. but the people.

Wait... wait... let me think like a senator for a moment .. maybe that'll work -
    If they implement this chip idea, more then likely it'd be wedged on somewhere and that would mean little shops will pop up all over town that can 'unlock' your console relatively easily, therefore creating a black market industry.. that could quite possibly fund a piracy/car stealing/ handbag theft. -do dee do dee do dee dee dee dee-

-snaps out of it-

Yeah, seriously, just make some fliers on why it's retarded to sit down doing one thing for a long period of time. Hand them out in primary schools, and were all sorted.

-_- Don't make me get my soldering iron out every time I buy a new console

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Thank god we don't live in Australia. If they heard about this, they would be doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Looks like she never got back to anyone who cared to challenge her about this:
    Senator Healy Eames,

I would like to express my thoughts after reading your blog post as mentioned in the subject line.

As a mature person I feel belittled by your proposal, and frankly, I find it outrageous how you dare to propose a restriction of the freedom of citizens all over the world.
    I can only conclude that you have no faith in good parenting, the ability of the people to exercise responsible usage patterns, and that you see it as your role to save us from ourselves.
    I, as one of the people you represent, do not see this as your role.

Let me remind you about the facts here: The person who died was in fact a young adult, therefore responsible for his own actions. It is very tragic, but at the same time very unlucky. There are many situations in everyone's daily life that could trigger something like this, for instance long-haul flights, watching long movies, etc.
    Luckily, the overwhelming amount of people do exercise sound usage patterns and I do not believe there is a need for intervention.

You mention research about the addictiveness of consoles: where is your source?
    You mention evidence about 'even young married men' spending significant amounts of time 'gaming'. Don't you think young married men do not have the competence to decide for themselves how they want to spend their spare time? I'm neither young nor married, but in my view parenting is the responsibility of PARENTS, and does not fall into the competence of the state.

Apart from my personal feelings, I wonder what makes you think that the emergence of such an initiative can change a whole industry, and how pursuing it through the channels will do any good?! This is not a fight as in good (on behalf of the consumer) vs bad (the industry) for a just cause. There simply is no cause.

I also have a problem with the analogy you are using regarding the tobaco industry: Putting images on cigarette boxes hardly equates making it technologically impossible to use a device after a certain amount of time.
    I agree with the former, which is an effort to educate, but education does not appear to be a high priority of the state anymore in recent times.

In my view this is a waste of taxpayer's money (as in time and resources), which could (and should!) be invested into other issues (for instance, you could start reading out the list of bondholders of Anglo Irish Bank in the Seanad as David Norris tried on two occasions before he was silenced, but that is a different topic altogether).

Regards,
    goalscoringhero
    To make matters worse, it appears her brainchild is gaining traction and she's building a case for it:
    http://fidelmahealyeames.ie/2011/08/17/rational-debate-needed-on-the-impact-of-excessive-use-of-game-consoles-%E2%80%93-healy-eames/

A friend of mine made it even to the Galway Advertiser with a letter that practically proved her wrong on almost all points she was trying to make.
    I wonder is she saying that the debate has not been rational in this respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I love how she compared it with smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'd love to see'em try implement this in the COD corner of the XGC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Chip would be hacked by cod nerds

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

"Speaking up for Galway, standing up for you" seems to be her slogan
    http://fidelmahealyeames.ie/2011/08/17/rational-debate-needed-on-the-impact-of-excessive-use-of-game-consoles-%E2%80%93-healy-eames/
    If that's the type of "standing up" she's doing, I'd rather she sit back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Abolish the Seanad now. Its filled with useless cretins like Fidelma Healy Eames

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Could it be the possibility she is a secret PC gaming plant, to try limit the use of consoles in the country to upswing the PC usage...........just in time for Battlefield 3 too.....too convenient......

That or we just challenge her to a game of Quake 3, three people per side, winner tells the other side to "SHUT THE F**K UP!!!!!"

Advertisement