Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senator wants two hour limit on games consoles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

When I first read her idea, I thought she was an ignorant gobshíte who I instantly disliked.

When I saw her twitter post, I straight away hated her. If you're going to be paid through mine and other's taxes, at least have the decency not to speak like a fúcking retard. When you're a representative of the country (anyone in government positions are IMO) act like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They should put a chip in the seats of the Shenad and after 2 hours of them waffling it shocks them up into doing some work.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

So one person out of hundreds of millions of gamers out there dies (from something he was probably pre-disposed to) and this idiot think we need legislation to combat this enormous threat?

Nanny politics at its worst. If you followed his logic through to its conclusion we should only be allowed drive cars for 4 seconds before the ignition switches off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The London rioters used blackberries to co-ordinate the riots. BAN MOBILE PHONES NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

jaykhunter wrote: »
    The London rioters used blackberries to co-ordinate the riots. BAN MOBILE PHONES NOW.

And here was me thinking that they were just a fruit that i hated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Don't consoles already mention (or at least some had in the past) that you should take a break for 15mins/hour anyways - which is probably all that's required?

Imagine playing Dead Space 2 HC + the chip activating? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Would these kind of people ever F**K OFF and let us live our lives in peace. I don't even game much anymore but this kind of pointless issue raising and hair-brain attempts at policy are wrecking my head. The other day it was ban smoking in cars! (fair enough if there is kids maybe). This is exactly why the Senate should be abolished if this is the kind of rubbish being discussed.

Sorry, rant over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

General O' Duffy would be proud. Bloody Fascist Conservatards. Big Brother is watching you play Halo. I love how conservatives are big on personal responsibility until it contradicts their values. Urrggghhh why didn't Labour get the majority vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Tweeted to @senhealyeames I was on the train from Dublin to Cork (a three hour journey) and I died because of DVT. Will you please ban train journeys?

Edit: I say I died, I got better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

My email to her.
    Dear Mrs Eames,

I am writing to express my extreme and unreserved "gratitude" for your comments on video gaming. I play video games casually and i am glad there is a "politician" willing to take a stand on a "real issue" because quite frankly, i need "politicians" to save me from myself. Please, i beg of you, free me from all thought and responsibility. I did not realise that 12+ hours of playing halo might be bad for me!!!! In the advent of this most startling revelation i fired up whatever little synapse my tiny state nannied brain has left and thought how we can expand further on your "great idea"??????

All new cinema releases should be under 120 miuntes. Anything over that we should have a mandatory intermission where we go and run a few laps around the cinema followed by some simple calisthenics. Bet that cinema nacho cheese wont taste as good on the way up!
    Any television left on more than 2 hours should flare really brightly blinding those watching the Coronation Street omnibus. If the persist the television should be chipped to explode. Im sure the National Consumer Agencies and manufactures will fall in line to marginalize these poor fools!
    Place armed Garda in libraries where anyone who spends more than 7200 seconds reading should be, in a heavy handed manner, forced to stop reading and move along unless he wants to end up in "the joy" with the other people who cant pay their TV licenses or debts. Im glad the government is tough on these misfortunate scum.
    All office workers who spend, you guessed it, more than 2 hours at there computer should have their chairs taken away so they have to stand and close their eyes. This way the should still be able to use there keyboards and still work. Maybe the government could issue blind folds for us pesky peekers!? You could be be the Minister for peek-a-boos?
    All train journeys more that two hours should not be seated. Instead each carriage will have a different dance class. Book early for the Salsa and Zumba carriages!!!

I am glad one "politician" has the "mental fortitude" and steadfast determination to allow one misfortunate yet self inflicted circumstance ruin things for the countless others! Education and awareness simply wont work will it? Gambleaware.ie and Drinkaware.ie should be called out for the hollow shams they are and i believe you as minister for peek-a-boos will stand up for what is pointless!

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

^-That's more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I think i read it on boards somewhere (so it must be true) that people who play consoles make better drivers...they have quick reactions and spot dangers/hazards easier and quicker etc. If anything they should be encouraging MORE gaming hours!

They will also be the only survivors after the zombie apocalypse. More PS3 says I.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

jamezy wrote: »
    My email to her.
    i believe you as minister for peek-a-boos will stand up for what is pointless

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

jamezy wrote: »
    My email to her.
    I noticed a huge problem with your email:
    "Bet that cinema nacho cheese wont taste as good on the way up!"

Cinema nacho cheese tastes horrible on the way down! Are you honestly trying to imply that that liquid cheese crap is edible. I'm ashamed to have you representing the casual game community.

This will never come close to being implemented anyway because:
    1: Video games are very popular in Ireland and something like this would have a big negative impact in the economy
    2: We'd be the laughing stock of the world.
    3:MS, Sony and Nintendo would not allow it as it would damage games sales.
    4:No real politician would endorse it.

She's just some busy body with too much time on her hands trying to get recognition from parents. She knows it could never be implemented, but it's publicity for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

tell me she's on a massive wind up and she's not actually as stupid as her own quotes make her out to be?

think_of_the_children.jpg

Seriously for a moment. This is Orwellian politics---and to be honest it's a bit scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

political trolls be trollin'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Another completely incompetent idiot in Seanad Éireann getting a nice big pay-check for spouting nonsense to get her name in the paper.

The bigger question is why we have to suffer this clown when she was not elected by the people of Galway to represent them ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You know what? Emails abusing the woman actually set "the cause" back. Hugely. If you can't be civil and use the obvious factual flaws in her argument to refute her points, then you've lost - we all have. Thanks for that.

You have completely played into her hand to the point that she will be able to say "look at all the emails I got from possibly warped individuals who instead of tackling the issue they claim to care about decided to abuse me instead" and you've done nothing but give her outlandish claims substance.

Really guys, you've a lot to learn about making changes for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Skerries wrote: »
    political trolls be trollin'

Sadly, that's likely not the case. She really meant what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old McGroin

@ jamezy

Savage e-mail man, hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Shiminay wrote: »
    You know what? Emails abusing the woman actually set "the cause" back. Hugely. If you can't be civil and use the obvious factual flaws in her argument to refute her points, then you've lost - we all have. Thanks for that.

You have completely played into her hand to the point that she will be able to say "look at all the emails I got from possibly warped individuals who instead of tackling the issue they claim to care about decided to abuse me instead" and you've done nothing but give her outlandish claims substance.

what exactly was wrong with my email?

Nothing but you know politicians have spin doctors, and George Hook would probably support this Orwellian idea.( "Addicted gamers abuse well meaning politician who threatens to limit their dangerous addiction." )

Seriously I'm having trouble believing this is even being discussed in a 21st century democracy. People seem to be missing the wider picture here.
    During the election I was hoping for a majority Labour government and this is why. Right wing parties want smaller government but yet want more power to interfere with peoples personal freedoms.
    They want to crackdown on crime with harsher punishments rather than addressing the underlying social issues with the "personal responsibility" arguement. Yet they don't want people playing games more than two hours nor do they want to give LGBT people the same rights as anyone else.
    One minute they say we have 100% free will and are 100% responsible for our lives then the next minute they say we do not have free will and want to police us.

This is the problem I have with right wing parties and this is why I didn't vote for Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Which emails are you talking about exactly?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Helix wrote: »
    what exactly was wrong with my email?

My apologies - I should have clarified - I meant the one jamezy sent.

In contrast, I thought yours was pretty much right on the money Helix.

Sorry again, I should have made that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

My apologies - I should have clarified - I meant the one jamezy sent.

In contrast, I thought yours was pretty much right on the money Helix.

Sorry again, I should have made that clear.

I don't think I'd call what he sent overboard. There's something to be said for treating something/someone that deserves contempt, with contempt. He made valid points in a satirical way. Certainly not a rage email that'd give cause for a politician to make an outcry about them crazy gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Another politician trying to grab headlines with an unfounded, absurdist and unworkable policy based on something they have absolutely no understanding of.

Tea Party, anyone?

Yes, they disgrace tea lovers everywhere!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If you can't be civil and use the obvious factual flaws in her argument to refute her points, then you've lost - we all have. Thanks for that.

To have a civil discussion, where both parties can debate their points you need two things:

1) Intelligence on both sides.
    2) No hidden agendas.

I think sadly in this case, we don't have either of these. Its mindless political grandstanding at its finest. Ask yourself this Shiminay, if the counsellor in question was actually concerned about saving lives, do you not think she would be campaigning against the rampant alchoholism, that leaves hundreds on A&E floors every weekend? Or the wilful ingestion of Ammonia, Sodium Hydroxide & Methyl Sulfide contained in cigarettes which are reponsible for countless illness/death globally?

Of course she wouldn't speak out about such things, as it would be political suicide (as we know the above are a huge revenue source for our good politicians). Don't kid yourself for one minute that this is a concerned woman, & not somebody who has seen an oppurtunity to make their voice heard. Thats all it is, nothing more & nothing less. In that light, I think its perfectly acceptable to expose the absolute stupidity of her comment, & to expose it to people so that more & more people see that their hard earned tax money is paying for the likes of this cretin to remain in a job.

Having a nice friendly discussion only validates her concern in peoples eyes. Exposing her as a politician who would epxloit the death of young person to make her voice heard is more important. As I said, if this woman was genuinely concerned about the welfare of young people, lets just say the Xbox360 should be way, way, way down the list for her to talk about. Thats how I know she's your average grandstanding politician.

• Advertisement

I can't wait 'till RetroGamer logs in and has his trademark insightful rant about this.:D

Advertisement