Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senator wants two hour limit on games consoles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

I unequivocally agree with the posters who stated rational discussion is, in 99% of the time, the most productive course of action in these situations. Usually my emails to politicians are much more nicer and constructive i can assure you. Education and awareness is the best medicine.

But when i encounter stupidity of the caliber of Dr. Eames my sarcasm goes into overdrive. I find politicians who make jump the gun comments about issues the do not understand for column inches in the same category of "scumbagishness" as people who take 30 items to the "10 items or less checkout" or people who talk during movies at the cinema. Therefore I stand by my sarcastic email however flawed and unnecessary it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Azure_sky wrote: »
    I can't wait 'till RetroGamer logs in and has his trademark insightful rant about this.:D

What's to be said? The woman is full of ****. I didn't reply since it would be stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 badroit

Shiminay wrote: »
    You know what? Emails abusing the woman actually set "the cause" back. Hugely. If you can't be civil and use the obvious factual flaws in her argument to refute her points, then you've lost - we all have. Thanks for that.

You have completely played into her hand to the point that she will be able to say "look at all the emails I got from possibly warped individuals who instead of tackling the issue they claim to care about decided to abuse me instead" and you've done nothing but give her outlandish claims substance.

Really guys, you've a lot to learn about making changes for the better.

Yes guys, really! Let's not resort to satire! There's too much at stake here!

The last thing we want is a public statement from a lady of her stature saying: "look at all the emails I got from possibly warped individuals who instead of tackling the issue they claim to care about decided to abuse me instead". What does that say about people who play computer games? Eh?!

Satire is the last resort of subversive political dissidents like Chris Morris, Graham Linehan, Charlie Brooker, Jon Stewart, Dermot Morgan, Doug Stanhope, Bill Hicks ... to name but a few subverted malingerers. For pity's sake, let's not stoop to their level!

Let's apply self-censure, and keep arguments logical and precise! I know that in this particular case, appealing to reason and logic feels like the equivalent of beating a leg-less camel across the head with a lead-pipe (easy, repetitive, and ultimately unappealing) but by repeatedly pointing out the obvious flaws in her arguments, and by engaging in the debate, we can effect change!

It's probably true that this "campaign" was a knowing and pre-meditated discharge of political effluent by the senator (it would be an insult to the apes of which she is a distant cousin to suggest otherwise, and I'm not for insulting anyone or anybeing here). It's probably true that her "arguments" are pious and judgmental, and that she's politicising the death of a 20-yr old man to propose policies the deceased would probably have been appalled to see as his legacy. It's probably true that she is knowingly using cheap demagoguery to (try to) skim off a few cheap votes, and that she's weaseling about in her rhetoric, speaking of something she knows nothing about in a way that suggests to the ill-informed that she knows something about it. It's probably true that she is very well-educated and should know better...

...but please! She is a public representative! No cheap shots! When you write her an email, spit-polish your shoes, comb that hair, and for heavens sake be civil!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Seriously for a moment. This is Orwellian politics---and to be honest it's a bit scary.
    Azure_sky wrote:
    I can't wait 'till RetroGamer logs in and has his trademark insightful rant about this.

tell ya what, Ill give you Jazzy's trademark Derp of the Day instead. orwellian politics because a dumbass TD knows d1ck all about computer games and DVT's? ich dont think so
    badroit wrote: »

tell me one change you have made for the better in this country or I will be forced to make this a double derp tuesday! (yes technically its wednesday but its my system so i make the rules)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

better burn my bed then , the dangerous fcuking yoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Make her a game where the object is to ruin a small country,say, oh I don't know, about the size of Ireland, maybe. It won't matter if her Xbox switches itself off after two hours, because she'll already have completed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Jazzy wrote: »
    Tell yeah what, I'll give you Jazzy's trademark Derp of the Day instead. Orwellian politics because a dumbass TD knows d1ck all about computer games and DVT's? Ich don't think so.

This how it happens. Do you think a state becomes a nanny state over night? No, of course not. It's a gradual process. This fascist crap needs to be needs to be cut at the root. Politicians need to be told, in no uncertain terms, that the public will not tolerate such nonsense. The might actually think before making asses of themselves again.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

badroit wrote: »
    ...but please! She is a public representative! No cheap shots! When you write her an email, spit-polish your shoes, comb that hair, and for heavens sake be civil!

She's not a public representative - she has been rejected THREE times by the voters of Galway in the general election. She doesn't speak for anybody for herself and she won't get the message and just f*ck off for good. That fact that FG put the stupid auld c*nt in the Seanad says alot about what they think of that institution. She is a disgrace coming out with this nonsense while getting paid out of our taxes.

This how it happens. Do you think a state becomes a nanny state over night? No, of course not. It's a gradual process. This fascist crap needs to be needs to be cut at the root. Politicians need to be told, in no uncertain terms, that the public will not tolerate such nonsense. The might actually think before making asses of themselves again.

are you an expert in how vast uncompromising political change happens on a worldwide scale never before seen? the nazi's in germany and fascists in italy got in surprisingly quick and made vast political change almost overnight.

hang on, wait... umm, no. a dumbass td spouting reactionary nonsense /= the beginning of political upheaval the likes of which humanity has never seen. im sorry, its just not and you are wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

are you an expert in how vast uncompromising political change happens on a worldwide scale never before seen? the nazi's in germany and fascists in italy got in surprisingly quick and made vast political change almost overnight.

hang on, wait... umm, no. a dumbass td spouting reactionary nonsense /= the beginning of political upheaval the likes of which humanity has never seen. im sorry, its just not and you are wrong

He right though, its different in Ireland. We are a bunch of laid back clowns who ring Joe Duffy if we have a problem with our politicians. We need to wake up & in a civil & mature way, let these cretins know they work for us. The protests & picketing over the last year have been pathetic given whats going on here, in fact I'd say more people tune in to Joe Duffy than actually took to the streets. This is of course known & exploited by the government. Though we're leaving the territory of video games here...

• Advertisement

are you an expert in how vast uncompromising political change happens on a worldwide scale never before seen?

It's related to my field of study but I wouldn't go as far to say I'm an expert.
    the nazi's in germany and fascists in italy got in surprisingly quick and made vast political change almost overnight.

I'd recommend reading more history. The origins of Facism in Europe can be traced back to the end of WWI. Godwin for you too.

A senator who represents the people wants to control your leisure time. If that's not Orwellian then what is?

EnterNow wrote: »
    He right though, its different in Ireland. We are a bunch of laid back clowns who ring Joe Duffy if we have a problem with our politicians. We need to wake up & in a civil & mature way, let these cretins know they work for us. The protests & picketing over the last year have been pathetic given whats going on here, in fact I'd say more people tune in to Joe Duffy than actually took to the streets. This is of course known & exploited by the government. Though we're leaving the territory of video games here...

Well I'm glad someone can see the bigger picture. We have a mentality in this country where anyone who complains is labelled a whiner, told to stop bitching and have a pint. It's this sort of apathy and fatalism which, in part, brought the country into recession. We don't like to think for ourselves too much: "Sure the Church, the local talk show host or the politicians can do it for us." But as you say, we're veering off topic here. Food for thought though...

EnterNow wrote: »

no he f**kin isnt right. i really really really really really doubt either of you know even nearly the extremely deep, social, scientific and philosophical issues that come with what you are talking about. please dont try and completely exaggerate what some dumbass politician said and try and tie it into paranoid dillusions of politics and the way humanity and the world works

paranoid dillusions of politics and the way humanity and the world works

He's a lizard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

deathrider wrote: »
    Make her a game where the object is to ruin a small country,say, oh I don't know, about the size of Ireland, maybe. It won't matter if her Xbox switches itself off after two hours, because she'll already have completed it.

I think the game your looking for is called Tropico :)

It's related to my field of study but I wouldn't go as far to say I'm an expert.

I'd recommend reading more history. The origins of Facism in Europe can be traced back to the end of WWI. Godwin for you too.

A senator who represents the people wants to control your leisure time. If that's not Orwellian then what is?

oh so you are just a giant moron. yes i know exactly how nazism etc started and yes it was related to WW1, but the changes you are talking about happened extremely quickly in comparison to other vast political changes across humanity.. and they were put down too within a timeframe of 20 years. Orwellian politics.... fukin hell. i kind of wish 1984 was never written so morons couldnt attach orwells name to their stupid fantasies about politics & government.

the woman is some jackass who couldnt string 2 words together on the internet who hit a nerve with computer game players who then decided to over react and call her part of some fantastic "orwellian" machine that is taking over our minds and freedoms. YURRRR YOU KNOWS THE POLITICINGS OF THE WORLD AND ARE SO SMRT.

and no - there is complaining because you want to complain and think you know wtf you are complaining about, and there is understanding the realities of how sh1t works. this is NOTHING like how the church got away with being paedos for years or about how our govt robbed us for years and years and years, this is a moron trying to appeal to her demographic without understanding ANY of the issues (as helix pointed out in his letter) and it is a pretty throwaway comment.... unless you happen to be a gamer who is big into politics, then its a MASSIVE deal which is in-sighting a control on our freedoms and is bringing us further inline to some sort of plot to control humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shiminay wrote: »

I'm with the above.

We should trash Curry's, Smyths and Gamestop and get more game and consoles.

O wait......

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm with the above.

We should trash Curry's, Smyths and Gamestop and get more game and consoles.

O wait......

And pay the riot tax? Pfft, no thanks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So did anyone get a reply to their email yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Polar101

So.. I was curious to see how she was actually planning to implement this timelock on consoles, so I went to the senator's home page.

http://fidelmahealyeames.ie/2011/08/03/cap-required-on-time-spent-computer-gaming-%E2%80%93-healy-eames/

"I will be writing to the National Consumer Agency asking them to communicate with manufacturers to see what steps they will take to ensure responsible, healthy usage"

Can't someone just tell her parental controls already exist in the consoles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No one is going to take her seriously, nothing will happen with this. There are only two relevant parties here; this crank and angry gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Polar101 wrote: »
    So.. I was curious to see how she was actually planning to implement this timelock on consoles, so I went to the senator's home page.

http://fidelmahealyeames.ie/2011/08/03/cap-required-on-time-spent-computer-gaming-%E2%80%93-healy-eames/

"I will be writing to the National Consumer Agency asking them to communicate with manufacturers to see what steps they will take to ensure responsible, healthy usage"

Can't someone just tell her parental controls already exist in the consoles?

Or that "responsible, healthy usage" has been advised since I started gaming (waaaaaaaaaay back in the early 90s) and probably before that. It's written in the intruction manual to eah game, to take a break withen every hour of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its already recommended you take s 15 min break for every hour of play.

I think some kids do spend way to long on consoles - a 2 hour limit is a great idea - it should be enforced by the parents and for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

noodler wrote: »
    Its already recommended you take s 15 min break for every hour of play.

I think some kids do spend way to long on consoles - a 2 hour limit is a great idea - it should be enforced by the parents and for children.

Exactly. People should take responsibility for themselves and their kids. Its that fraking simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

noodler wrote: »

That I agree with, but as an adult gamer myself, it should be my decision and my decision only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Leeg17 wrote: »
    That I agree with, but as an adult gamer myself, it should be my decision and my decision only.

Yup... but its not, unless you want the belt !! :P At least not until you go back to college !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Leeg17 wrote: »

Exactly, i even sent the silly fool a mail outlining that very point as well as others. Basically said it should be on the parents and how systems already exist on the current consoles for parents to control stuff like this so she obviously hadnt done any research at all and trying to force this junk on adults was just nanny state nonsense. I also asked if she wanted try implement this for PC gamers and people who work extremely long hours on a PC.

I may have called her an insignificant speck compared to the games industry and implied she was retarded but not in those exact words :P, i did it politely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Senators expenses for 2010 available on here today on rte

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0809/senator_expenses2010.pdf

Worth every penny you'll agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SkrApsAK

DaDumTish wrote: »
    better burn my bed then , the dangerous fcuking yoke

Post of the year!
    I lol'd so much..... ty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SkrApsAK

Solyad wrote: »
    Senators expenses for 2010 available on here today on rte

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0809/senator_expenses2010.pdf

Worth every penny you'll agree...

Expenses like those for retards like them!

Its time for someone to get on their soapbox and rally the people!....
    Get tards like this out of Government!

I'm fed up of paying taxes to fund these fools that just don't know what the fcuk they're doing in a lot of cases and just blindly jump into things!!
    Fcuk them and shame on us for constantly bending over and taking it up the ***.

Advertisement