Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One time relatively common cars that don't exist any more.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

or these

renault fuego
    fiat ritmo
    fiat x5
    ford orion ( first edtion )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Talbot Solara, Simca 1301/1501,Opel Rekord,VW Variant and Fastback, Vauxhall Viva, Victor and Chevette, Rover 214/216, Toyota Tercel, Nissan Sentra, all pretty rare nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Delorian (sp), I was in 1 on Friday at a wedding.

Robin Reliant.

Citroen 2CV

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Maybe the wrong forum but I really notice the absence of the 336 Hino from our roads. Back when my Dad was a haulier it seemed like half the artics out there were 336's. This is one of the few well preserved examples I know of:
    IMG_3439.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

babygirlz wrote: »
    Robin Reliant.

Made by Reliant, so Reliant Robin (and that's only if it was a Robin and not a Regal or Rialto)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

macplaxton wrote: »
    Made by Reliant, so Reliant Robin (and that's only if it was a Robin and not a Regal or Rialto)

so true, I just wish I could thank you rtwice.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Hermy wrote: »
    Maybe the wrong forum but I really notice the absence of the 336 Hino from our roads. Back when my Dad was a haulier it seemed like half the artics out there were 336's. This is one of the few well preserved examples I know of

True, nice to know that there are a few left in retirement - great looking truck.

I'd add any 80's Honda or Mitsubishi to the list

1986_Honda_Accord_DX_Sedan.jpg

1986_Mitsubishi_Lancer.jpg

4ac56f7448ffa1fc7ad906927.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Hermy wrote: »
    Maybe the wrong forum but I really notice the absence of the 336 Hino from our roads. Back when my Dad was a haulier it seemed like half the artics out there were 336's. This is one of the few well preserved examples I know of:
    IMG_3439.jpg

Super Truck!
    23052010112-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

macplaxton wrote: »

Aw thanks, I was awake all night thinking about that one:rolleyes:.

Always someone trying to up their post count.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

anything with a Daewoo or Diahatsu badge. Remember the Daewoo based on the Opel Kadett?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

anything with a Daewoo or Diahatsu badge. Remember the Daewoo based on the Opel Kadett?

The Nexia I think it was called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The Nexia I think it was called?

Yes. I don't think they were ever that common here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

dj jarvis wrote: »
    or these

renault fuego

3 in the country running i think

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stapes

my dad had a datsun bluebird, a early 70's corolla ke20 and a triumph toledo theyre rare nowadays

also rare to me nowadays are citroen dyane, volkswagen variant, toyota hiace mk1, ford granada mk1 and mk2, fiat 124/128, toyota carina ta12/ta14, datsun 120y, opel manta a, opel rekord/senator hillman avenger, renault 4 van, 1986/87 shape mitsubishi colt, nissan silvia s12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

How about the Chrysler 180?
    dev180_02.jpg

or rarer still the Talbot Tagora!
    uk-tagora.jpg

I also knew a guy who drove one of these back around 1979 - 80. Who knows what it is? :D
    Matra_Murena_front.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

The bottom pic looks like a Matra (Bagheera?) ... the one with 3 - abreast seating

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

Talbot-Matra Murena.

In reality the Chrysler 180, Tagora, Murena or Bagheera were a rare sight even when new.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

There's a Murena down these parts, I'd have to root out a pic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Has anyone seen a working Citroen BX recently? I haven't. I noticed one for sale on Donedeal recently.

Full?id=6573623

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

unkel wrote: »
    E34 BMW 5-series. A very well built, overengineered car. A bit less than 10 years ago, when the early ones were about 15 years old and the last ones nearly 10 years old, they were everywhere. Now they are quite rare. Few of them will make it into classic hood (30+ years) :(

They're not that rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Type 17 wrote: »
    True, nice to know that there are a few left in retirement - great looking truck.

I'd add any 80's Honda or Mitsubishi to the list

4ac56f7448ffa1fc7ad906927.jpg

I saw 5 of these last week on the road...all original Irish Regd......and a Galant hatchback too. I also saw a Granada Mk2 77 on irish plates too....they are rare and as to why you dont see Sierras. well you have to remember that it was only available before 1987 as a hatchback/Estate. When the Sapphire appeared in 87 onwards, everyone bought this car instead of the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

G Luxel wrote: »
    .........as to why you dont see Sierras. well you have to remember that it was only available before 1987 as a hatchback/Estate. When the Sapphire appeared in 87 onwards, everyone bought this car instead of the other two.

Its true that the Sapphire outsold the hatch when it came out, even though it was more expensive iirc but the fact is that for years there were loads of Sierra hatchbacks on the roads. Beloved of sales reps, managers, the self employed and the well off farmer (2.3D in Laser spec anyone?).

Its astonishing how few are left over. Same goes for the Ascona C, in rural Ireland you couldn't move for the 1.6D version, but where the hell have they all gone? Some cars will always be trashed and some will be well cared for and survive but these two have just totally disappeared in relation to numbers sold.

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336fb7d783028ca81151ffde7ee88a320cb.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

If they've not been mentioned already:

Late '70's Mazda 323
    early '80's Mazda 323
    Subaru Leone (have one :p)
    Toyota Carina II
    Datsun 140 / 160J

... and not a car ...

Ford Cargo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Datsun Cherry, Carina 2, any Toyota with the 70s ring of stars badge, original Mazda 323s etc. I think people generally were rougher with cars in this country; that together with the availability of scrappage, the NCT, and likelihood that for a very cheaply bought car the owner will often keep maintenance to the absolute minimum, means few old cars. Still I often see a few decade or more old cars driven by elderly owners in good condition. Also, the near certainty that the present slump will last a decade, might see more people looking after cars for longer. I read once that this country had one of the oldest stock of cars on the roads. Now that was before the stupidity of the scrappage subsidy, but anyhow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Renault 19 Vans

These were THE Van of choice in the 90's where did they all go??

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

Renault 19 Vans

These were THE Van of choice in the 90's where did they all go??

Renault 19 "Supervan"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭naoise80

Ford Consul

renault-19-009.jpg

first 'Legal' car I had was one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

91807061990312-480.jpg

If anyone has one of these, preferably diesel, I may be interested
    1991_renault_19_charmade.jpg

• Advertisement

if its a 19 Chamade yer after
    I have 3/4 of an engine, a Boot, 2 wing mirrors, a headlamp & passenger seat in various colours

Advertisement