Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hardest boss battle of all - time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

When I was young it had to be twisted metal black and especially sweet tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Ruby Weapon in Final Fantasy VII - even you're level 99 you can die in an instant.

Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts II - he's much harder to beat than he is in his own game :mad:

Bosses in Ninja Gaiden games

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Notorioux wrote: »

That was a stupidly difficult game.

I also agree with some previous posters about bosses in MMO's. In theory not that hard, but when you add up to 39 other players being half asleep idiots, it can be next to impossible e.g. WoW bosses C'thun, Kael Sunstrider

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,876 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't find ninja gaiden that bad. Once you learn how important blocking is to the combat system then it was managable other than a few difficulty spikes like the alma fight which were doable with some patience. Ninja Gaiden 2 was good as well but in this case the unblockable attacks that came from off screen a lot of the time were frustrating. They should have included a system like Arkham Asylums were there was a warning indicator before the attack so it was a lot fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

That was a stupidly difficult game.

No way, Ninja Gaiden wasn't stupid difficult. It was excellently balanced. In some games where you die to luck in NG you only died when you ****ed up. I loved it about that game. I never threw the controller down because of a boss' lucky shot I always knew I died because I made a mistake. If you didn't make a mistake then you would win.

Also Probotector on the PAL Nes. Loved that game, my brother and I played it over and over. We loved it. At least we completed it, unlike Double dragon 3.

Getting to the last boss was doable but then defeating her (with her stupid teleport and burst from the ground below you attack) was way too difficult. Its the only game I really regret not finishing then I sold the Nes (which I really regret now). I remember going to you tube to see the ending and feeling even more angry about not finishing it. Apparently it was a 3 sec delay a 5 sec delay and a 4 second delay sequence, so you just count and jump out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Maybe I'm just getting old but I'm finding the final boss in Batman Arkham Asylum to be a right PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Dracula in Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, never beat him, ridiculously hard with nigh on infinite life. Definitely the hardest in recent memory.

The False King in Demons Souls was a toughie, especially seeing as how you had to get past the dragon, twice, if you lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ruby Weapon in Final Fantasy VII - even you're level 99 you can die in an instant.

Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts II - he's much harder to beat than he is in his own game :mad:

One of the easiest boss battles ever considering one of your summons freezes him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Zillah wrote: »
    The very first game I played on my Playstation. I was playing it Christmas morning. I don't remember what it was called, it was a sort of cartoonish sci-fi game with a motley crew on your side, and the main protagonist had a distinctive energy whip/grabber thing on his wrist that was used for lots of game play mechanics. If someone can remember what game that was that'd be sweet. Anyway, yeah, the guy at the end of that, could not work out what to do except die.

Wild 9.

(I recognised the game from your description, but all I could remember was that one of your teammates constantly exploded, and that the name had a number in it, so I had to search through the wiki list of PS1 games, going through each digit until I recognised a name)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Dragon the bruce lee story on the mega drive. I could never get past the final fight :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WFtUcFfM3k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Hardest I beat was Ruby weapon on FFVII, that took so many sh*te hours trying to level up.
    Hardest I never beat was the final boss in Driver on the playstation, Had to keep up with the boss while half the world's police were ramming into u, nearly put the controller through the screen so many times!

Meh. Counter-Command junctioned to Mime, Knights of the Round junctioned to Hp Absorb, w-summon (double summon) and a ribbon accessory. Start by w-summoning Knights of the Round and then mime it repeatedly (mime doesn't cost MP). Ribbon will stop you getting hit with any negative statuses and anytime you are hit, you will counter with a free Knights of the Round Which will fully restore your health (because of hp absorb). Easy peasy (takes ages though).

Much harder in KH1. In KH2, you had QTEs during the fight which helped loads to whittle him down, in KH1 you had no help.

Meh. Counter-Command junctioned to Mime, Knights of the Round junctioned to Hp Absorb, w-summon (double summon) and a ribbon accessory. Start by w-summoning Knights of the Round and then mime it repeatedly (mime doesn't cost MP). Ribbon will stop you getting hit with any negative statuses and anytime you are hit, you will counter with a free Knights of the Round Which will fully restore your health (because of hp absorb). Easy peasy (takes ages though).

Much harder in KH1. In KH2, you had QTEs during the fight which helped loads to whittle him down, in KH1 you had no help.
    Or you could just w summon death(think thats the summon stirring the cauldren) and knights then mime and mime.

Freezes ruby, knights. Also takes agaes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Vicxas wrote: »
    Dark Bahamut from FF10, that made me weep constantly for weeks!

Is penance not the ridiculously hard boss from that game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

rickyjb wrote: »
    Is penance not the ridiculously hard boss from that game?

Just pay yojimbo enough and he was easy, he wasn't too bad the fair way. From what i can remember the magus sisters were impossible unless you split them up first. yojimbo was tough but that was down to luck, it was based whether he cast zanmoto or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

penance takes forever but hes not un-doable, same with the magus sisters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Or you could just w summon death(think thats the summon stirring the cauldren) and knights then mime and mime.

Freezes ruby, knights. Also takes agaes

That was Hades ;)

I'd agree with Driver's end level, I had to leave it too. Thought I'd lose the plot with it.

RedXIV wrote: »
    That was Hades ;)

I'd agree with Driver's end level, I had to leave it too. Thought I'd lose the plot with it.
    Thats the one, havent played it in years so the memory was sketchy always used to laugh that it was never in any faqs when it was the simplist way of beating ruby

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I could never play a game on hardcore mode as it just frustrates me too much..it's not that I'm bad but I play games to enjoy them not wreck my head...after punching my hand through a lcd I decided to only play on normal ;) and maybe hardcore only in co-op :D

but that fúcker at the end of Gears of War 1...he wrecked my head trying to kill him :(

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I could never play a game on hardcore mode as it just frustrates me too much..it's not that I'm bad but I play games to enjoy them not wreck my head...after punching my hand through a lcd I decided to only play on normal ;) and maybe hardcore only in co-op :D

but that fúcker at the end of Gears of War 1...he wrecked my head trying to kill him :(
    he has a terrible glitch, if you ran to the last bit of cover on the right side of cart one, you could chuck explosive **** off a barrier, get rid of the bats, shoot a clip into his foot, rinse and repeat till death and he'd just stand there shooting into the cover

• Advertisement

Thats the one, havent played it in years so the memory was sketchy always used to laugh that it was never in any faqs when it was the simplist way of beating ruby

I think most people assumed that bosses couldn't be afflicted with statuses (I know I rarely tried to), and so never bothered to try out Hades.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hamhide

galamoth from castlevania symphony of the night was a basterd to beat,sameal from silent hill 1 (1 hit kills!) and lets us not forget the belly belcher himself,jinpachi machima >.<

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Just finished Mass Effect 2 and the Reaper on insanity is a WHOOOREES ABORTION. I hate him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

he has a terrible glitch, if you ran to the last bit of cover on the right side of cart one, you could chuck explosive **** off a barrier, get rid of the bats, shoot a clip into his foot, rinse and repeat till death and he'd just stand there shooting into the cover

Co-op MP 2 Sniper rifles! Piece of cake!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,876 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really don't like bosses in RPGs that are just meat shields, no strategy to beat them you just have to level up enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

-The last boss/ship in Silpheed (original, never played the remake)
    I actually beat him too (as a 10 year old)

-Bosses in Ninja Gaiden games, including NES versions which I was useless at.
    -Ditto for Megaman bosses.

-Radec from Killzone 2 on Insane/Elite or whatever the hardest setting was.
    The one and only time I've broken a modern gaming controller in frustration.
    It's not even an epic or interesting battle, just a pain in the ass. Not at all satisfying.

-Maybe this one was just me but the final battle with Solidus Snake at the end of MGS2 had me tearing my hair out.
    That stupid, cartwheeling, sword-waving muppet Raiden was comically ineffective at dodging his attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,892 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

As mentioned before, the SNK bosses fluctuate madly in terms of fairness, from very to absolutely piss-ripping. Most notable example being the likes of Orochi, Mizuchi, Goenitz, Igniz, Rugal. Five examples that are only beatable through sheer depraved cheapness, Ryo's hurricane kick being my preference.

Another reference, I know, but the final bosses from Mother 2 + 3, for reasons beyond just being difficult and something more sentimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Lanaier wrote: »
    -Maybe this one was just me but the final battle with Solidus Snake at the end of MGS2 had me tearing my hair out.
    That stupid, cartwheeling, sword-waving muppet Raiden was comically ineffective at dodging his attacks.

I remember fighting Solidus on Extreme was quite frustrating. I believe I shouted at the TV...a unique event! He's hardly the most difficult boss I've beaten either, maybe it was teenage hormones?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

The only one that springs immediately to mind is the dude at the end of The Suffering: Ties That Bind. He's the only boss I can think off that I simply gave up fighting against and said "F*ck this, I can't beat him" and never returned.
    Perhaps there's a strategy to him, perhaps he's rottingly easy and I was just having a bad day. Either way, I gave up hope on that one. Found the whole game to be un-enjoyably difficult. Which is an awful pity considering the amount of fun I had playing through (and replaying through time and time again) the first game.

Advertisement