Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hardest boss battle of all - time

Options
  • 06-08-2011 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking about this, ive being gaming best part of 20 years and i have to say the hardest boss i had to battle was The Forgotton One in Castlevania LoS, i flew through the game on the hardest difficulty until this point, even on the easy level i found it very tough, i never managed to beat it on paladin i had welts on my fingers from trying so hard

So guys what are your contenders for hardest boss battle of all - time

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lord of Shadows had some bastard bosses on hard difficulty alright. Problem was the way checkpoints worked, minus the auto health recharge we've come to expect from checkpoints and restarts. The result were frantic battles, desperately trying to recharge your magic bars, while a single mistake or missed block could make all the difference.

Spinning bosses in 2D shooters tend to be the evilest bosses of all. The one at the end of Ikaruga level 3 is an infamous and super tricky example: frantic polarity changes requiring a near inhuman level of concentration to get through without a mistake or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

We'll just get this one out of the way early on:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mushimesama may have the sheer bulk of bullets (only on masochistic difficulty levels), but fellow Cave shooter Espgaluda II has an absolute bastard of a final boss - using a bomb to dodge the bullets also recharges the bosses' shield, so the only way to pummel down its health bar is to dodge the bullets like an absolute ninja.

They have nothing on Hitogata Happa on the PS3 though. Even the first boss in that game will suck your credits dry. It's a game where suiciding your ship is actually a necessity to advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

sephiroth from kingdom hearts. f**k you. f**k you right in the ear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mischeif Makers on the N64.

Only 4 of us bought in the world :pac: Jesus boss battles in that game were insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SNK Boss Syndrome.

You know they're bad when they have their own trope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Flamelurker and Man-Eater(s) from Demon's Souls deserve a mention... roll on Dark Souls and (hopefully) even harder bosses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Maneater in Demon Souls.
    Nearly all final bosses in Metal Slug games

and i cant think of anything else. Games are to easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

One from recent memory and one I never actually managed to overcome was the final boss / the lead up to it too was also a pain in Dead Space 2 on the Hardcore setting :mad:

Not often I rage quit and never go back but this one left me a broken shell of a man :(

After that I 'd have to go back to last gen for a game I played and struggled with a boss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

calex71 wrote: »
    One from recent memory and one I never actually managed to overcome was the final boss / the lead up to it too was also a pain in Dead Space 2 on the Hardcore setting :mad:

Not often I rage quit and never go back but this one left me a broken shell of a man :(

After that I 'd have to go back to last gen for a game I played and struggled with a boss.

You only get 3 saves for that playthrough. You really have to push so that your third save is near the end.
    My third was after the drill part.

Do it, it's worth it for the hand cannons...Pew, pew, pew..Bang, bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Has to be a boss from an MMO tbh... there have been maybe 20 bosses in WoW that are harder than any single player boss in ANY game. Not too familar with other MMO's but bosses like C'Thun and M'uru would make a grown man cry !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The very first game I played on my Playstation. I was playing it Christmas morning. I don't remember what it was called, it was a sort of cartoonish sci-fi game with a motley crew on your side, and the main protagonist had a distinctive energy whip/grabber thing on his wrist that was used for lots of game play mechanics. If someone can remember what game that was that'd be sweet. Anyway, yeah, the guy at the end of that, could not work out what to do except die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

calex71 wrote: »

Is hardcore the one where you only get 3 saves in the whole game?? if so I'm right ****ing there with you. I completely gave up on that. Eventually I'll go back and get it but not for ****ing some time yet.

Oh and before anyone suggests it, ruby and diamond weapon in FF7 were not hard so do not even suggest it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    We'll just get this one out of the way early on:

Jesus Christ!

****ing Sonic 2 drove me up the wall as a kid, goddamn spikey hand robot bastard...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Magill wrote: »
    Has to be a boss from an MMO tbh... there have been maybe 20 bosses in WoW that are harder than any single player boss in ANY game. Not too familar with other MMO's but bosses like C'Thun and M'uru would make a grown man cry !
    Original Rathe Council in EQ PoP expansion before they fixed it; it was purely there as a block as the final zone was not ready.

With 72 people in the raid you had to kill 12 mobs with in 6 minutes (and they had some millions of hp), 6 could be mezzed, 6 had to be tanked. The 6 to be mezzed had a high resist rate so you had to be lucky (yes lucky) to not get to many resists after each other due to cool downs and same that the tanks would not get a unlikely spike of damage + special ability (i.e. the mob would lower threat on your tank and turn on the healer and splat him in a second).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dark Bahamut from FF10, that made me weep constantly for weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Can't talk about Boss battles and not mention this audio from World of Warcraft. This guy is talking to another 39 people in a raid group!

NSFW use headphones if you're granny is near :) Epic lulz ensue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

just a warcraft III mod where he had so much health it broke their health bar system and he could regenerate faster than we could hurt him, took maybe 6 of us... 6 hours to beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Could never beat Emerald Weapon in FF7 so i'd rate him hard for me,
    C'thun in WoW was a great hard boss that needed a lot of coordination to kill, rather than most WoW bosses hitting a tank too hard causing wipes, this guy made the whole 40 man raid sweat.

• Advertisement

KilOit wrote: »
    Could never beat Emerald Weapon in FF7 so i'd rate him hard for me,
    C'thun in WoW was a great hard boss that needed a lot of coordination to kill, rather than most WoW bosses hitting a tank too hard causing wipes, this guy made the whole 40 man raid sweat.

Most of naxx was like that aswel in fairness (Orginal naxx). I think that from T5 content onwards, blizzard really focused on making bosses hard for everyone in the raid, in 40 mans before naxx and C'thun progression wasn't that difficult, the hardest part was finding 40 people with at least some idea what they were doing. If the top guilds didn't release their tactics for killing the bosses i reckon most wouldn't beable to clear half the content in the game without blizzard doing some serious nerf'ing. Its a shame most people didnt get a chance to experience naxx40 + sunwell, because they were excellent.

Ulduar was an amazing instance aswel, some really challenging bosses, especially the hardmodes.

Must have a look and see what the new expansions bosses are like on youtube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You don't know hard bosses until you've finished Contra Hard Corp/Probotector on the Mega Drive.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You don't know hard bosses until you've finished Contra Hard Corp/Probotector on the Mega Drive.

Not that hard tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not that hard tbh.

Japanese version maybe but the US and EU game is a whore. Definitely the toughest of the contra games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Japanese version maybe but the US and EU game is a whore. Definitely the toughest of the contra games.

yeah, its definitely a ballbuster alrite. A lot of games these days are really hard aswel tbh, its just most people don't play them on the hardest settings. The newer ninja gaiden games are brutal tbh ! Even something like halo can be really difficult on legendary aswel.

yeah, its definitely a ballbuster alrite. A lot of games these days are really hard aswel tbh, its just most people don't play them on the hardest settings. The newer ninja gaiden games are brutal tbh ! Even something like halo can be really difficult on legendary aswel.
    I wouldn't say halo is really difficult on legendary...It's just really slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I wouldn't say halo is really difficult on legendary...It's just really slow

All halo's are piss on legendary with a partner once you know what to do, however if i meet
    a person who completed halo reach solo on legenday with all skulls on i would happily bow down before a GOD

luckyfrank wrote: »
    All halo's are piss on legendary with a partner once you know what to do, however if i meet
    a person who completed halo reach solo on legenday with all skulls on i would happily bow down before a GOD
    Fair enough if you put all the skulls on.

Doing it on solo alone was enough for me before i traded it in

I find Halo just frustrating on legendary though and not fun at all. I much prefer a hard game that gets the balance between fun and frustration right, Halo on legendary doesn't and I much prefer playing it on the lower difficulties.

DMC3 would be one that gets it right. You'll die a lot but it's always your fault. Speaking of which DMC3's first boss cerberus was a total baptism of fire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fvcking Cerberus! :mad:

I tried to play DMC3 again the other week.
    Either I really lucked past that cvnt all those years ago, or Bayonetta has just moved the goalposts so far that I can't be arsed with DMC3 anymore! :pac:

BACK TO DANMAKU:

*edit*
    and courtesy of a friend:

Advertisement