Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected]ards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Shoegaze

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ Not in Kansas

Scrap that. Cocteau Twins for me...Heaven or Las Vegas. The whole album!

Dream pop but very Shoegazey!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭ Birneybau

Scrap that. Cocteau Twins for me...Heaven or Las Vegas. The whole album!

Dream pop but very Shoegazey!

One of my all time face bands/albums.

I'd recommend DIIV's album 'Oshin', dreamy pop goodness.

And Wild Nothing early stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ Not in Kansas

Great recommendations, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭ NewbridgeIR

Predates the Cherry Red box set by 10 years but a worthwhile window into the genre.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Like-A-Daydream-A-Shoegazing-Guide/release/750952

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭ donaghs

Any new shoegazing news, upcoming gigs? I see Beach House are supposed to be at be in Dublin in May next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭ loyatemu

anyone listening to DKFM online? Had it on for a couple of hours and pretty much everything they played was excellent, and mostly bands I'd never heard of. The Gaze scene is obviously pretty healthy (in the US at least), though admittedly most of the bands are mining the same seam as their 90's predecessors and sometimes in a overtly retro/pastiche way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭ eviltimeban

I got tickets for Ride in the the Roundhouse, London, in April. Don't think they'll be playing here. It's the Nowhere 30 tour (32 years later).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭ Penfailed

Could anyone tell me...would Stereolab be considered a shoegaze band?

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, David Kitt, Forest Fest, Stendhal Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭ eviltimeban

No. They may have elements of the sound but they come from more of a krautrock / electronic background.

When they started off (the Peng! era), there was a partial shoegaze element but as time has moved on, definitely not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭ Penfailed

I haven't listened to anything beyond Peng! TBH.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, David Kitt, Forest Fest, Stendhal Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭ Anesthetize

Their early EPs have a shoegazey sort of vibe, but are more noise-pop I guess.

Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements and Emperor Tomato Ketchup are both great albums and well worth checking out. I saw them a few times in the mid-90s (Columbia Mills, Olympia, Red Box) and they were fabulous. Singles-wise, there's loads and thankfully they've compiled them well on three volumes of Switched On and the excellent Oscillons From The Anti-Sun 3CD+DVD set.

Advertisement