Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Shoegaze

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭ RainMakerToo

Was having lunch today and heard something that reminded me of Slowdive (wasn't them, just reminded me of their early stuff), came back to work only to find they had released their first track in 22 years! Weird coincidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭ Dolbert

Some music I made with the husband recently, we've been told it's a bit Slowdivey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭ DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭ mosstin

DominoDub wrote: »

Think it's pretty rubbish actually. Too clean. Just bland. It sounds exactly like a middle-aged Ride should sound.

Another new one. Slightly better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭ UrbanSprawl

Some very nice shoegaze/dreampop from this New Zealand band set to release their debut album early next month.

https://fazerdaze.bandcamp.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭ Goreme

I really like the new song. New music from reformed bands usually tends to disappoint, but this song certainly does not.
    Yep, agree, I think this is excellent... definitely one of the best songs released this year.

Reluctantly listened to the Slowdive album - was never a huge fan in the first place. It's really beautiful. Stunned me actually - it's exactly how a 2017 version of an early 1990's band of their ilk should sound. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭ mgkelly

Completely agree. Superb album.

More new music from Ride. Can't help but compare how effortless Slowdive's return has seemed and just how insipid these new Ride tracks are. Won't be buying the new album - out next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ roll

the Slowdive album will be on many album of the year lists...
    Don't know if it counts as shoegaze but the Cigarettes After Sex album is very fine indeed!

thought the ride tune above was not bad actually but closer to home gallants ep is excellent

https://galants.bandcamp.com/track/evergreen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭ loyatemu

mosstin wrote: »
    More new music from Ride. Can't help but compare how effortless Slowdive's return has seemed and just how insipid these new Ride tracks are. Won't be buying the new album - out next week.

I made this point on another thread but Andy Bell has spent the last 25 years making retro lad-rock (really from Carnival of Light onwards through Hurricane#1 and Oasis); it can't be easy to go back to writing songs in that early-Ride style (and Mark Gardener has spent the same period doing very little).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grido

Always thought that the 'shoegaze' tag very quickly became a stick to beat the scene with. Was it NME that invented the term?

grido wrote: »
    Always thought that the 'shoegaze' tag very quickly became a stick to beat the scene with. Was it NME that invented the term?

I remember reading both the NME and MM at the time. I can't remember which magazine covered the phrase - might have been Everett True? - but they also dubbed it The Scene that Celebrates Itself.
    There were some really excellent bands who probably suffered from being lumped in there - same with the Madchester thing. Loved Moose in particular - they released some terrific countrified music once that scene died down and continued to do so throughout the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ Dandelion6

mosstin wrote: »
    There were some really excellent bands who probably suffered from being lumped in there - same with the Madchester thing. Loved Moose in particular - they released some terrific countrified music once that scene died down and continued to do so throughout the 90s.

Moose, ironically, were the band whose onstage presence inspired the term "shoegaze".

Great band btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭ Irish_rat

"No longer making time" is probably the best thing I've heard this year. The album is fantastic as previous posters have mentioned already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭ seachto7

The Slowdive album. Not sure if I mentioned it on this thread already. It's a cracker. Wonder will they do a gig in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭ Birneybau

Some good stuff from these, new-ish band. Lowtide.

And, another new-ish band 'Leave The Planet'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ donaghs

Any shoegaze gigs in Ireland coming up in2019?

donaghs wrote: »
    Any shoegaze gigs in Ireland coming up in2019?

Galants and Meotor Choice awards nominated Just Mustard both have gigs coming up . Not sure either would call themselves exclusively shoegaze but elements of it definately in their music.

Top tune from Galants now if they could do an album of this quality .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭ Anesthetize

Some good heavy shoegaze from last year.

Holy Fawn - Dark Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ Acosta

Lightfoils album from late last year is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btz8qSHE6jU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ donaghs

Ride playing a surprise gig in Dublin city, workmans club late tomorrow night

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0607/1053877-ride-to-play-surprise-dublin-show-after-cure-support/

Pity such late notice

donaghs wrote: »
    Ride playing a surprise gig in Dublin city, workmans club late tomorrow night

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0607/1053877-ride-to-play-surprise-dublin-show-after-cure-support/

Pity such late notice

any use?

any use?

Was fantastic, here's a snippet:

Galants EP stay light is out today well worth a listen and playing this eve in Thomas House!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ Not in Kansas

Can't believe I missed Ride! The Shoegaze kings for me!

Advertisement