Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mossy2390

Yeah couldnt understand why they didnt play him more this season, with jennings out for so long i thought it would have happened. Even last year he played quite a lot and made some amazing catches

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Finlay has said his chances of being back with the pack are 50/50 next season but he wants to stay. He is due 8.25 million, he is not worth anything near that money since he has dropped so many balls over the last few seasons. So unless we can get him to take a massive cut I say let him go

• Registered Users Posts: 8 macker20

Lads if there is anyone with an interest in taking up the sport. Meath Bulldogs are still recruiting for the 2013 season. meathbulldogs@gmail.com Go Pack!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Finlay has said his chances of being back with the pack are 50/50 next season but he wants to stay. He is due 8.25 million, he is not worth anything near that money since he has dropped so many balls over the last few seasons. So unless we can get him to take a massive cut I say let him go

With you on that one.

Nowhere near the standard of the elite TEs in the NFL.

Injury may have impacted on his performances but certainly next season will define his career whether GB keep him or not.

Tom Crabtree is a crusty kind of TE so Packers wouldn't lose too much in my opinion.

Pack need to 'wind it up ' a bit and take teams on.

Not hanging back and re-acting, get out there and kick ass especially in Lambeau.

get a bit meaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

With you on that one.

Nowhere near the standard of the elite TEs in the NFL.

Injury may have impacted on his performances but certainly next season will define his career whether GB keep him or not.

Tom Crabtree is a crusty kind of TE so Packers wouldn't lose too much in my opinion.

Pack need to 'wind it up ' a bit and take teams on.

Not hanging back and re-acting, get out there and kick ass especially in Lambeau.

get a bit meaner.

The irritating thing about Finley is that over the final few games of the season he gave glimpses of being capable of becoming that 'elite' TE that people were expecting to happen two years ago.

I personally think it was too little too late and it's time to move on.

Until his injury I thought Quarless showed great potential and if he makes a full recovery would be happy with him and Crabtree as our starting TE's

• Advertisement

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    The irritating thing about Finley is that over the final few games of the season he gave glimpses of being capable of becoming that 'elite' TE that people were expecting to happen two years ago.

I personally think it was too little too late and it's time to move on.

Until his injury I thought Quarless showed great potential and if he makes a full recovery would be happy with him and Crabtree as our starting TE's

Difficult decision.

be terrible if he blossomed into a great TE with another club.:eek:

More production definitely needed and I think his 'locker room' persona is not great either.

have a feeling they might try for one more year if he takes less money.

Difficult decision.

be terrible if he blossomed into a great TE with another club.:eek:

More production definitely needed and I think his 'locker room' persona is not great either.

have a feeling they might try for one more year if he takes less money.

This. Take a base of 4.5-5 million and absolouely fill his contrat with escalators to bring him back up to his 8.25. We take a punt on him at a fair price and he has the incentive to play out of his skin.

Also with you on his personality. If you want your qb to throw you the ball more catch the ****ing ball when it's thrown to you and talk to him in private don't ****ing bitch about him not throwing you the ball in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Yep, the public coments about not getting passes was tedious when watching him drop much of his passes the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Looks like Jennings could be gone according to rumours. Was sure he'd stay on with us and get a contract sorted. In a way we've decent depth at WR - Jones, Cobb and Nelson with possibly one other picked up in FA or draft. Rodgers can make a lot of average receivers look exceptional as it is anyways and Jennings won't get half the receptions or yards if the expected Tannehill is throwing to him.

If the draft was tomorrow, and assuming that Finley is going (given his ability to drop a pass, asking fee and his attitude, I'd let him go) I'd say that these were the important positions to fill via FA or draft - tackle, defensive end, tight end, safety, wide receiver, center - in that order.

We seem to be doing OK at CB with what we have. Hayward was excellent in his rookie year and Williams and Shields were decent in the absence of Woodson. Our defensive line needs sorting and our linebackers are in decent nick when everyone is available. Perry will come on for the extra season too given he was sort of converted DE coming out of the draft (IIRC).

Once again our offensive line needs to massive rejuvenation. We need to protect Rodgers a lot better than what we did - sacked a ridiculously amount of times last season. Look at the protection that Brady gets at NE and just imagine what Rodgers could do with that amount of time in the pocket. I know that Rodgers tendency to run more makes it tougher for the line but we definitely need a new LT and center (although Dietrich Smith did ok when replacing Saturday).

Looks like Jennings could be gone according to rumours. Was sure he'd stay on with us and get a contract sorted. In a way we've decent depth at WR - Jones, Cobb and Nelson with possibly one other picked up in FA or draft. Rodgers can make a lot of average receivers look exceptional as it is anyways and Jennings won't get half the receptions or yards if the expected Tannehill is throwing to him.

If the draft was tomorrow, and assuming that Finley is going (given his ability to drop a pass, asking fee and his attitude, I'd let him go) I'd say that these were the important positions to fill via FA or draft - tackle, defensive end, tight end, safety, wide receiver, center - in that order.

We seem to be doing OK at CB with what we have. Hayward was excellent in his rookie year and Williams and Shields were decent in the absence of Woodson. Our defensive line needs sorting and our linebackers are in decent nick when everyone is available. Perry will come on for the extra season too given he was sort of converted DE coming out of the draft (IIRC).

Once again our offensive line needs to massive rejuvenation. We need to protect Rodgers a lot better than what we did - sacked a ridiculously amount of times last season. Look at the protection that Brady gets at NE and just imagine what Rodgers could do with that amount of time in the pocket. I know that Rodgers tendency to run more makes it tougher for the line but we definitely need a new LT and center (although Dietrich Smith did ok when replacing Saturday).

We certainly need to protect Rogers more, the interior is good, Sitton and Lang, EDS deserves anther go at center, and maybe Bulaga at LT and Barclay at RT with Sherrod if he recovers and Newhouse as back up?

Defense in my opinion is weak,how many times did we see big plays on third downs against us when a stop would have been a possible game changer.

definitely need to get a lot meaner in that area.

Learn how to tackle especially in the open field.

• Advertisement

We certainly need to protect Rogers more, the interior is good, Sitton and Lang, EDS deserves anther go at center, and maybe Bulaga at LT and Barclay at RT with Sherrod if he recovers and Newhouse as back up?

Defense in my opinion is weak,how many times did we see big plays on third downs against us when a stop would have been a possible game changer.

definitely need to get a lot meaner in that area.

Learn how to tackle especially in the open field.

Capers needs to go imo

Capers needs to go imo

Agreed on that one.

Woodson cut by the looks of things. Sad to see him go but it was a necessary evil.

By the looks of things we're going to sort out Rodgers and Matthews this year and front load their contracts in order to give us a lot of cap space in the future. Admittedly, I know little of the ins and outs of cap space but that's what I've been reading from Thompson and on the Packer forums. Idea could be that Finley either takes a cut abs stays or is let go but there are others like Hawk and Kuhn who are on contracts far exceeding their actual value.

Raji is also due a decent deal soon.

Going to be an interesting off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Hawk is overpaid, khun definately is, we need to sort out our rb's and who we are keeping. Our OL needs to be beefed up a bit, and at least one more clay matthews type player

I'm going to come out and say it, I want the honey badger at lambeau. He can take over kick returns for cobb. He can read the game and is noted for his picks etc. I really think our defence would suit him. Maybe a 6th round or 7th round if he's floating about

If he was available late on then I definitely think he'd suit us. We really need guys to make big plays - especially coming from CB/S position and rushing the opposition QB. Plus it's not a major gamble given late picks are more miss than hit.

Here's our sixth and seventh picks since 2009 - Lawrence Guy (gone); Ricky Elmore (gone); BJ Coleman (3rd choice QB); Andrew Datko (OT hasn't played for us); CJ Wilson (decent DE); James Starks (reasonably successful and a large part of out Superbowl success, but poor last year); Bard Jones (backup LB when fully fit squad); Brandon Underwood (gone).

Edit: Meant to add, agree with you on Hawk and Kuhn. Hawk doesn't do anything of note and Kuhn is paid far too much for a FB. To be honest, I wouldn't be overly disappointed if we cut a few guys in order to sort Matthews and Rodgers contracts and sort out the future of the team for the next few years. And hopefully draft a few gems.

With Saturday retired we really can't afford an injury to Dietrich Smith (sp?) I honestly can't see what we'll do in the draft, with o line needed, We need one more impact Clay like player on D, MAybe a wr, I think we'll manage without adding another rb, back up in center. I really hope Honeybadger drops into the later rounds and we take a punt on him, I honestly believe he will be an advantage to us if he gets his taste for the weed out of his system

Arawn wrote: »
    With Saturday retired we really can't afford an injury to Dietrich Smith (sp?) I honestly can't see what we'll do in the draft, with o line needed, We need one more impact Clay like player on D, MAybe a wr, I think we'll manage without adding another rb, back up in center. I really hope Honeybadger drops into the later rounds and we take a punt on him, I honestly believe he will be an advantage to us if he gets his taste for the weed out of his system

Worst thing about the Honeybadger now is that a lot of teams are thinking the same thing - "if he falls to us in the 6th or 7th" - which will drive his stock up and someone will pull the trigger early.

We've quite a few needs this draft. Really need to get that O-line sorted first and foremost because Rodgers can make average receivers look that bit better. So targets aren't going to be an issue. I think you've it right O-line, a playmaker in at LB, and secondary then if possible.

Charlie Woodson has been cut.

cut a few days ago. Whoever picks him up will be picking up a ryan giggs type player, great for the young talent to learn from but will only show the briefest flashes of what he was

• Advertisement

I suppose its no harm letting Woodson.

Anyone know if AJ Hawk & Jermichael Finlay are going or staying?

Fully expect hawk to stay on a reduced pay maybe 1.5less a year than currently on. Finlay will only stay if he halves his pay. Which he wont

Arawn wrote: »
    Fully expect hawk to stay on a reduced pay maybe 1.5less a year than currently on. Finlay will only stay if he halves his pay. Which he wont

And you just know that Finley will end up becoming a monster if he leaves! Suddenly everything thrown at him will be caught, and yet if he stays he'll more than likely be content and continue dropping passes.

Jennings apparently is looking for 14mil a year....not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Welker wants 9 and will be available...actual upgrade there for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Big and fast that's what TT is looking for in a WR (young as well I'm sure!), so Wes Welker certainly won't be fitting the bill and also like the great DD the ball is starting to slip from those hands a little more frequently.

welker was the most targeted in the history of the nfl history kast season wasn he?, with similar drops to megatron?? Thats pretty good tbh

If the price was right, I'd go for Welker no problem at all.

Him and Cobb would be formidable slot receivers.

after the combine presser it appears we will be keeping finlay, also a possibility we shall retain jennings too

• Advertisement

Sorry for the double post....

I knew we had a complete steal with AR's deal.....how much so you ask? Well the cap hit against us this year for us with Ar this year Is 9.75 million. Which As far as I know doesn't put him in top 10!! people who earn more than him at Qb in order....Brady, E.Manning,Stafford, manning, Ben Rothbiuvchnbvjfcberger,brees,rivers,romo,Palmer and Kolb who earns the 10 spot 13.5 :o
    We literally have the best qb contract out there (anyone who says wilson,kappernak etc I'm not including them till they have a similar second year)

Now for bad business....our second highest player is a certain J.Finlay who earns the second highest on the team at 8.25 (against the cap) which makes him the second highest in the league. He needs to take less money to stay imo.

Advertisement