Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Agree with the above and add in too Casey Hayward who has had a solid rookie season at cornerback. It does look like our defence has been mended somewhat and we should have massive options in the secondary when everyone is fit (maybe a pipe dream!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Big loss tonight.
    Even if we beat the vikings next week (big if) , we wont beat the 49rs in Candlestick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Big loss tonight.
    Even if we beat the vikings next week (big if) , we wont beat the 49rs in Candlestick.

With Rodgers in his current form, they can beat anyone anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Big loss tonight.

I would be quite confident of beating the Vikes in Lambeau.

Real playoff football,outdoors,plenty of motivation .

Packers had the game, when defending a 3rd and eleven at the Vikes 27 last night.

Prevent that and the game was at least into OT .

What happened?

AP is off, an obvious pass play and they were gashed for a huge gain.

Ponder got most of the 3rd down conversions that mattered, most frustrating.

Peterson won't have the same mobility on grass, so if Matthews plays, Packer win.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Big loss tonight.

I fear the same unfortunately.

I'd fancy us against any of the other play-off teams but the 49ers match up very well.

Saturday should be a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

We WILL make the Superbowl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I would be quite confident of beating the Vikes in Lambeau.

Real playoff football,outdoors,plenty of motivation .

Packers had the game, when defending a 3rd and eleven at the Vikes 27 last night.

Prevent that and the game was at least into OT .

What happened?

AP is off, an obvious pass play and they were gashed for a huge gain.

Ponder got most of the 3rd down conversions that mattered, most frustrating.

Peterson won't have the same mobility on grass, so if Matthews plays, Packer win.

Won't have the same mobility on grass? Like the last time he played at Lambeau, rushing for 210?

Huge game for which the Packers are rightly hot favorites. I think if ye win this you will go to the Superbowl. However, it won't be easy to win this. Remember, the Vikings should have beaten the Packers in Lambeau first time around. Also, a lot of Rodgers yards last night came because Winfield went off injured and he continuously targeted a terrible Sherels. Winfield should be back for this one.

Colder the better for the Vikings, making it a game won in the trenches. I'm not expecting a win, but I am hopeful. Obviously if the Packers play to their best, no team will stop them, never mind us. But hopefully we keep it close and it's a cracker like last night

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Remember 2010? We won the Superbowl on the road, if ( and it's a very big if!) we get past a very tough Vikings we can certainly go on to do the same again.

I would like to think that the failure to hold Peterson can be remedied but the man is a phenomenon. We have to hope that the short week recovery after such a massive effort, the cold of Lambeau and a slower surface might tilt things a little more for the defense otherwise the offense is going to have to be faultless and ruthless in execution for all four quarters.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Won't have the same mobility on grass? Like the last time he played at Lambeau, rushing for 210?

Huge game for which the Packers are rightly hot favorites. I think if ye win this you will go to the Superbowl. However, it won't be easy to win this. Remember, the Vikings should have beaten the Packers in Lambeau first time around. Also, a lot of Rodgers yards last night came because Winfield went off injured and he continuously targeted a terrible Sherels. Winfield should be back for this one.

Colder the better for the Vikings, making it a game won in the trenches. I'm not expecting a win, but I am hopeful. Obviously if the Packers play to their best, no team will stop them, never mind us. But hopefully we keep it close and it's a cracker like last night

Last time wasn't,January:D.

Now it will be tough,but looking back on last Sunday's game,Pack should have won.

Tramon Williams cost them a TD,with a foolish play,MD Jennings should have prevented the TD which went through his hands.

Key for me is preventing the big third downs,they have to figure a way to sort and improve that.

Also Packers are in that "win or you are out scenario now" so it's easy to focus.

felt they were caught a little between two stools Sunday,despite themselves.

Won,t be easy but I will be surprised if they do not win well.

Last time wasn't,January:D.

Now it will be tough,but looking back on last Sunday's game,Pack should have won.

Tramon Williams cost them a TD,with a foolish play,MD Jennings should have prevented the TD which went through his hands.

Key for me is preventing the big third downs,they have to figure a way to sort and improve that.

Also Packers are in that "win or you are out scenario now" so it's easy to focus.

felt they were caught a little between two stools Sunday,despite themselves.

Won,t be easy but I will be surprised if they do not win well.

And I'm not surprised,although the absence of Ponder for the Vikes kind of killed the game.

As I predicted, Packers worked on the faults in the last game, tackling much better, containment much better, penetration much better.

Defense were excellent, helped by Charles Woodson's return in a big way.

Offense a little worrying, apart from Rogers and Dujuan Harris,nobody really stood out.

Forget about Ryan Grant in my opinion.

4th quarter was puzzling, Packers did nothing but run down the clock,hardly a serious pass thrown,and powder puff ground game.

Bit early to drop anchor in my opinion, won't be adequate in SF.

• Advertisement

Do we have much of a chance against the 49'rs?

We are better than the season opener, but I can't see GB pulling this one off.
    Though Rogers will be very motivated to knock out the team that he wanted to play for.

Do we have much of a chance against the 49'rs?

We are better than the season opener, but I can't see GB pulling this one off.
    Though Rogers will be very motivated to knock out the team that he wanted to play for.

Of course we have,will not be easy but just don't give away the silly penalties,don't let them chew up huge yardage up the middle,make it very difficult to run the ball.

Not too confident, but very winnable,very winnable.

Us by 10, If we could hold Ap to 100 odd yards last game we can shut down gore.

Seriously people believe.

This team is battle-hardened (especially the D ), it's taken the knocks and come back stronger.

The Seahawks and Saints have shown that the 49'rs can give up big scores and Rodgers is looking hot at the moment and if the O-line can keep giving him enough to time there is an MVP performance on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Working early Sunday but not a chance I'm missing this weekend's game - promises to be a cracker.

Key areas are - 1) keeping that o-line strong for long enough to give Rodgers enough time to find a target, 2) WR seperation from the SF secondary which are excellent, 3) getting to Kaepernick early.

I was fairly pessimistic before this week, I'd much rather face the Falcons than the 49ers as strange as that sounds. Think we have the measure of Matty Ice and co. a lot of the time.

One thing about last weeks game that will stand to us was the wide variety of receivers we used and hopefully that makes their coverage a lot tougher. Cobb was quiet enough last week with only 1 reception (iirc) so hopefully we see something special from him again.

With Woodson back and the squad as fit as its been all season in terms of injuries, I'll go with us to win by a field goal 24-21.

Working early Sunday but not a chance I'm missing this weekend's game - promises to be a cracker.

Key areas are - 1) keeping that o-line strong for long enough to give Rodgers enough time to find a target, 2) WR seperation from the SF secondary which are excellent, 3) getting to Kaepernick early.

I was fairly pessimistic before this week, I'd much rather face the Falcons than the 49ers as strange as that sounds. Think we have the measure of Matty Ice and co. a lot of the time.

One thing about last weeks game that will stand to us was the wide variety of receivers we used and hopefully that makes their coverage a lot tougher. Cobb was quiet enough last week with only 1 reception (iirc) so hopefully we see something special from him again.

With Woodson back and the squad as fit as its been all season in terms of injuries, I'll go with us to win by a field goal 24-21.

Good summing up and I would add one more quality required-discipline.

that means no stupid penalties which kill drives.

Pack have improved greatly in this aspect, in my opinion,but in a hostile environment need to keep up the standard.

Kaepernick is new to this pressure whereas Rogers has seen it all before so all in all,whilst I was pessimistic last week, I now see no reason why the Pack cannot win this, provided they play to their capabilities.

No way will they win with shoddy undisciplined play on either side of the ball.

We will win by 2 scores.

Should Capers be replaced?

The defense seemed all at sea every time Kaepernick ran with ball, it was painful to watch the disarray.

On the other hand Capers can't be blamed for the fact that the 49ers had the better match-ups all over the field. The LB's and Safety's were woeful in defending against the run. After that display I can't see Woodson or Hawk being retained.

WakeyTyke wrote: »

The defense seemed all at sea every time Kaepernick ran with ball, it was painful to watch the disarray.

On the other hand Capers can't be blamed for the fact that the 49ers had the better match-ups all over the field. The LB's and Safety's were woeful in defending against the run. After that display I can't see Woodson or Hawk being retained.

Certainly time to take a look at his performance, in my opinion.

9ers seemed to play at a different tempo, whereas the Pack looked slow and predictable.

As I predicted giving up third and longs again went against the Pack.

No doubt though, the better team won, well done SF

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

In my opinion he should go (Capers).
    The offensive unit can generally be depended upon to put numbers on the board. The defensive unit is the weak link.

It's been at least 3 consecutive years now that defending the run has been the biggest problem. I'd say Capers only keeps his job due to his former reputation. That is not good enough.
    Quality teams know how to beat the Packers, just keep running at them.
    It's humiliating to watch.

• Advertisement

Listening to a podcast and some experts seem to think that another 'road-grader' type like Raji and Pickett in the front would help.

Not too sure of that myself,all the damage seems to come around the edges.

That's where AP did the damage in the Metrodome,and in the first game in Lambeau and likewise Kaepernick in the 'Stick.

Poor containment and tackling.

Look how many rushing records were set against the 'Pack!!

same again next season won't do against the better teams.

Will probably be good enough to make the playoffs but that's it.

Off season will be very interesting in 1365 Lombardi Ave:D

Check this blog out and the knives are out big time for Capers.

Teddy was down in Tampa/St Petes checking out the Shrine game.

Big DL was the top of the shopping list?

maybe not in the first round, but down the pecking order?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

We badly need new linebackers who aren't tiny and who can tackle. Oh throw in a safety that can tackle too.

With Clay Matthew we becaome an okdefence, without him we are ****e. If he has a rare bad game our D is ****e.

We need an overhaul lest we waste what we have on offence

Stev_o wrote: »
    We badly need new linebackers who aren't tiny and who can tackle. Oh throw in a safety that can tackle too.

Yes, agree on that.

What we really need is a set of crusty gnarled lads up front who don't take no schidt:D. Mean fcukers.

Frankie Winters types:cool:

Arawn wrote: »
    With Clay Matthew we becaome an okdefence, without him we are ****e. If he has a rare bad game our D is ****e.

We need an overhaul lest we waste what we have on offence

9ers fairly shredded the falcons D once they got going.

Vernon Davis was big and also Gore so CK7 didn't need to run.

makes me feel a little better about Pack D especially if Bishop recovers fully.

Pack definitely need to get more out of what we have, if we keep Finlay.

Need more aggression, have become a bit 'staid' in my opinion.

Listening to a podcast

What podcast were you listening to?
    (if you don't mind me asking)

I've been listening to Espn Milwaukee a bit of late but they are thin on content.

What podcast were you listening to?
    (if you don't mind me asking)

I've been listening to Espn Milwaukee a bit of late but they are thin on content.

No problem,listening to CheeseHead TV podcast by Brian Carriveau who is a well known Packers afficianado.

During the season he does on on Monday/Wed and /Fri and while he waffles a bit at time ,I find it good.

Here

• Advertisement

Donald Driver deserves to go straight into the Packers Hall of Fame.

You could tell he felt he still had something left to give as a player but he chose to retire as a Packer rather than move on - a quality guy

Advertisement