Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simplest combo box for elderly ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Since only 4 million people live in Ireland those figures are irrelevant . I'm not arguing conclusively either way but I can tell you that non platform specific receivers are currently out selling platform specific receivers by 20 to 1 and in bigger volumes than I've seen in 17 years in business. So your contention that they are a "nightmare" to use for many people holds no sway in my view. The sales figures simply do not back that up and I make a living from this in the "real world" as you put it.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MrSneeg

Sky has an estimated 560,000 subscribers in Ireland.
    UPC has around 563,000 customers.

Irelands population is over 4.5 million. and they dont have a house each.

as I said people like ease of use. if NewHilli can say that retuning fta boxes is not a prob to a lot of people, I can certainly say its a nightmare for a lot people,

I have no problem with fta receivers as I have been installing aerials / satellite systems for over 25 years in four different countries.
    I know that retuning is a big problem for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

My original point was that as long as people are aware of what is involved with a particular product then they can make an informed choice . Using generalised sweeping statements with overly dramatic words such as "nightmare" I think overstates the difficulties which some people may or may not have with FTA boxes.

When it was a choice between for example a FTA box and a freesat box it was a no brainer but with the arrival of combo boxes there are many advanatages/disadvantages to weigh up which again is up to the individual to decide what is right for them.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

watty wrote: »
    Not Apple:
    Never pays out dividends
    Over $76 Billion sucked out of circulation.
    Most of production cost subcontracted to 2nd rate Chinese factories.
    Overpriced. Small percentage of overall phone market (including Dumb phones) yet over 70% of Phone maker profits (including dumb phones).

One gadget maker that's bad for world Economy

IMO Apple are taking over where Sky left off, in terms of setting the benchmark for user-friendliness and ease of use of Consumer equipment. I'm not sure what you mean by 2nd rate, but I consider the quality of the latest IPAD, second to none. The only gripe I have with it is that it is a pain in the ar$e that you can't access the filesysytem directly, without jail breaking it. This makes it less useful for business use, and means that I still need to use a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Tony wrote: »
    My original point was that as long as people are aware of what is involved with a particular product then they can make an informed choice . Using generalised sweeping statements with overly dramatic words such as "nightmare" I think overstates the difficulties which some people may or may not have with FTA boxes.

When it was a choice between for example a FTA box and a freesat box it was a no brainer but with the arrival of combo boxes there are many advanatages/disadvantages to weigh up which again is up to the individual to decide what is right for them.

That's exactly it. It should be all about options and choice with a balanced view of the alternatives. There is rarely a "right" or "wrong" answer, particularly where cost is an important factor. I agree with you that on a straight comparison between FTA Satellite and Freesat, Freesat wins hands down, for most users. (Who are mainly interested in the UK FTA channels and the Irish Terrestrial ones.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

The simplest combo box in some situations is often overlooked - if the place of reception can cleanly receive both Freeview and Saorview signals, then this presents the easiest one box solution with all channels combined into one listing. Needs a television or STB which is either Saorview or Freeview HD compatible. When DSO rakes place next year, the number of people who can take advantage of this should significantly increase.

WRT free-to-air satellite receivers, as long as the installer explains to the customer that broadcasters may from time to time change frequencies and parameters that can mean the receiver showing a blank screen until it is retuned, and that new channels that start broadcasting may not appear until they are tuned in also, and that the customer accepts this, then you have yourself covered IMO. To me, you cannot be held responsible for broadcasters making transmission changes. If they don't, you can suggest a Freesat receiver but you're going to have to point out the obvious pitfalls of Irish terrestrials not being receivable on it, and having to tune somewhere else to get them.

From talking to friends, family and others up here in recent months, those that don't wish to go down the Sky route are going for Freeview/Saorview installations where they can do so. Restricted DTT reception of Clermont Carn currently though is a bit of a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

NewHillel wrote: »
    They don't change that often. When they do, there is no reasoning why the chanel numbers on the EPG cannot be kept. The advantages of a Combo Box will greatly outweigh this (small) inconvenience, for many people.

As far as I know, the satellite channels had changes in Oct 2010 and again in June 2011. The Saorview channels changed more often in that period but that included their official launch so changes / additions were to be expected.
    I don't know if that qualifies as "often" but it is enough to need to be taken into consideration.
    I'm not saying don't buy a combo box (I have one) but I am saying that a true Freesat box handles these changes in a far easier way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

as some one who is very much at the wrong side of 60, who also left school at 12, i find the edison argos mini very easy to operate, i have my fta and saorview, as my tv is a few years old but working extreamly well, it cannot be replaced thanks to the generousity of recent ministers for finance this box is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Tony wrote: »

Just remembered this thread, and as I started it, I may as well finish it off.
    Got the Ariva and turns out, it is exactly what I wanted.
    It took me less than 5 minutes to set up.
    I didn't even bother checking what firmware was on the box, as I had already stuck Tony's (thanks) latest firmware with channel settings on a usb stick, selected "upgrade" and then did a DTT scan and moved the DTT channels in one block to the top of Tony's channel list.

The box could not be simpler to operate, although I'm not using hd, it has a great picture and the scart auto switches the tv to the correct input so in summary would recommend to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

If my parents hadn't gotten a new TV, I think I'd be heading down this same road - sat/dtt combo boxes that are easy to use.

As a matter of interest, are there any freeview/analog combo boxes? I know - why would I want something like this? The point is to have a single settop box that deals with digital and analog channels in the one box so that people don't have to change source all the time. My parents Samsung TV has this built in - analog/digital channels aren't totally separate.

Someone I know in Australia was asking - they have DVB-T transmissions but they also have local analog sources (eg: like an existing apartment door camera system or local information system etc). They were reaching the point where they were considering taking the analog source and making it a digital transmission; except that's appallingly expensive apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

any updates from the Ariva 120 in 2022 ? - in exactly the same position as the OP for an elderly person i need either a sat enabled TV that can show SAT and saorview on ONE CHANNEL LIST *preferably not on a favourites category because remembering to switch to favourite if they accidentally move off it is just too much for them - a freesat / saorview combined list is required 1 - 15 channels approx is all they need - about 7 UK channels and 8 saorview channels on ONE list - that is key

requirement is pressing button 1 gives channel number 1 pressing digits 1 then 4 gives channel no 14

New TV is preferred (but not voice controlled)- Combo box is ok too

maybe some of you have bought a similar solution in recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

This is a very old thread and I only spotted it as I am waiting for a delivery. TV's now are more complex than ever and you dont say the screen size.

Have a look at walker and check this one out but someone else may post on this thread or it will get blasted. The ideal solution today is a combo box but you have to have a bit of know how.

Look at the walker

https://powercity.ie/product/WPS3221

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

I can recommend the Amiko Combo Box, very easy to use, all the channels on one list and not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I was the OP on both threads, 10 years apart 😁

I tried lots of solutions, over the years, with varying degrees of success. The Walker tv, is the perfect solution, I would say the only solution.

No boxes, no inputs, no nothing, just turn it on.

I laminated an A4 sheet with the channel numbers and left it on the coffee table. Job done, everyone happy.

My auld fella hasn't had a single issue, since I got the Walker tv at Christmas.

I know it's a bit of a niche market, but the "big boys" are really missing a trick, that Walker seem to have cashed in on.

Over the years, I have spent a fortune on high tech tv's, satellite equipment, phones etc. and never thought a day would come, when I would worship at the altar of a Walker tv and a flip Dora mobile phone, with 3 preset dial buttons.

It is no exaggeration to say both devices improved the quality of my parents lives, which indirectly improved mine.

Post edited by Zimmerframe on

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

I have been using Walker tv's for about 5 years now without bother, maybe not the most advanced but straightforward and reliable. A single epg or 7 day listing, on satellite, would be ideal but all in all it ticks most of the boxes. Worth noting that Walker is made by Vestel as are Nordmende and Toshiba.

Advertisement