Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3: Have Blizzard shot themselves in the foot?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

i have to agree. there will be some ninja looting and HUNTERWEAPONZZZZZZZZZZ all over the place!

Not possible, you only see your own loot in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Personally I like the sound of the system. Find a few decent drops, get some funds in the account and go from there. If you're smart you'll never have to spend your own money!!

Oh and for those of you talking about ninja looting etc. that won't be a problem. Every player has their own separate drops. For example, 3 of us are doing a boss run. We kill the boss and all 3 of us get individual loot which only ourselves can see and pick up. Perfect system to go along with this AH set-up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

I'm on the fence here tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

So what's the difference between this and WoW then? Online, PvP, selling sh*t?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Big Knox wrote: »
    Personally I like the sound of the system. Find a few decent drops, get some funds in the account and go from there. If you're smart you'll never have to spend your own money!!

Oh and for those of you talking about ninja looting etc. that won't be a problem. Every player has their own separate drops. For example, 3 of us are doing a boss run. We kill the boss and all 3 of us get individual loot which only ourselves can see and pick up. Perfect system to go along with this AH set-up!!

Class specific items only? Or just totally random stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

For those interested... PC Gamer UK released a 'Diablo 3 special' podcast where they discuss this news: [Link]

I think it may bother me, knowing that no matter what 'sweet loot' just dropped, a better version is available to me, any time I choose to buy it... and probably for 59 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fnz wrote: »
    For those interested... PC Gamer UK released a 'Diablo 3 special' podcast where they discuss this news: [Link]

I think it may bother me, knowing that no matter what 'sweet loot' just dropped, a better version is available to me, any time I choose to buy it... and probably for 59 cent.

One thing I hate about this that it will stop being just a game. You will find loot and next thing you will think of it value on ah, and not stats that benefit you. Or you will e on tue fence to sell it or use it.

I really don't want diablo 3 to become a second job.

I know that someone will run in and shout " don't use it, if you don't want", but you cant remove the human nature of being greedy fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

One thing I hate about this that it will stop being just a game. You will find loot and next thing you will think of it value on ah, and not stats that benefit you. Or you will e on tue fence to sell it or use it.

I really don't want diablo 3 to become a second job.

I know that someone will run in and shout " don't use it, if you don't want", but you cant remove the human nature of being greedy fecker.
    Being a greedy fecker is your own problem.

I wounder though would people have a problem with this auction house, always online business if Blizzard just called this an MMO and used a name other than Diablo?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So what's the difference between this and WoW then? Online, PvP, selling sh*t?

One is a MMO the other one is not.

Having no off line mode at all is very disappointing especially for this genre of games.

PVP is very much a after thought in this sort of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Stev_o wrote: »
    Having no off line mode at all is very disappointing especially for this genre of games.
    What difference does this make? Would you really be playing single player on a computer with no internet connection?

The attitudes and complaints I've seen so far regarding point 3 are pretty juvenile. It really doesn't affect you or how you play. Do people actually have fun playing these games or is it just an e-penis thing where you compete on who has the best loot?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    What difference does this make? Would you really be playing single player on a computer with no internet connection?

On a laptop when I travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    On a laptop when I travel.
    Well, I'd imagine not many people would have access to a gaming laptop that's capable of playing this at a reasonable graphical setting. That's a very small group of players, in a specific no wifi zone situation that blizzard is excluding. Benefits of control outweighs it. Plus you have too many nds and psp games to catch up on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Would you really be playing single player on a computer with no internet connection?
    I would* :o

*If you consider connection downtime as well as not having a suitable connection, that is

As regards the AH (I forgot to post my thoughts on it in my previous post), I don't particularly see it as a bad thing because...
    • The loot you see is yours for the taking, so it's not as if someone can ninja-loot everything for the sake of making a profit.
    • If the prospect of spending real currency on in-game items doesn't sit well with you, then you can always look towards the auction house that uses in-game gold.
    • If buying your way to victory doesn't appeal to you, then you're under no obligation to do so - presumably every item will be available as a drop anyway, so it'd just be a matter of playing the game to get the items, right?

All I know is that I personally don't plan on using either Auction House (for purchasing, at least) - I don't have any problem with other people using it since it's not going to have any affect on me unless I happen to be playing with them (since a few friends of mine are planning on getting the game, I'll be playing the game with them for the most part), but I'd much rather go kill some monsters/bosses for the sake of getting stuff, far more enjoyable that way IMO :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

whatever about the most recent nonsense, when is the game going to get released! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm not getting this now based on the sole fact, real money can be used to purchase items.

Its a shame, this and Max payne 3 were the only games ive been looking forward too since... heck i cant remember the last time a game got me excited.

TheDoc, I've read all your posts and still think its an unnecessary bull**** money making scheme.

It will ruin the game, rich people will be OP without effort and people like me who downright refuse to pay cash for an ingame item will have to grind for hours on end to get good gear. If the drop rates are anything like they were in D2 it will take ages anyway.

Also, anybody thinking of getting this game for their kids??? I wouldnt, DADDY DADDY BUY ME SOJ WAAA WAAA WAAA.

And they are making the AH so you can sell for in game money or real life money, whoopdi dooo, who the **** is gonna sell the item for ingame gold when they can sell it for RL money? **** sake

With this, you will just have normal everyday happy gamers turn into chinese gold farmers, doing nothing but sprinting through levels to drop bosses for the loot to sell for RL money.

Will people actually ever want to quest / play the game?

The reasoning for adding this is for fun? no, its greed, pure ****ing greed.

To help pay for patches/updates? Advertising could ****ing do that on battlenet lobby alone, this is just pure greed.

Its sad, i used to love blizzard, i thought of them as a company who actually took pride in making good games and respected their customers.

Now they are cash cow breeders like ****in EA...

Think its time to turn my back on gaming, cause this is sick.

Wont be buying D3, just like i didnt buy SC2 after they decided to split the game into 3 campaigns.

Money grubbing ****s!

:mad:

rawr!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

nix wrote: »
    It will ruin the game, rich people will be OP without effort and people like me who downright refuse to pay cash for an ingame item will have to grind for hours on end to get good gear. If the drop rates are anything like they were in D2 it will take ages anyway.
    Eve manages to do this (albeit in a round about way via the purchase of time cards for real money and then using those for trade) and the game remains balanced. If rich people want to be OP then fine, let them. It's not a full blown MMO so why would you care? As for you then being stuck grinding, again you would have been doing that anyway so what's the problem?
    Also, anybody thinking of getting this game for their kids??? I wouldnt, DADDY DADDY BUY ME SOJ WAAA WAAA WAAA.
    Parents having to say no to their kids? Oh noes! ;)
    With this, you will just have normal everyday happy gamers turn into chinese gold farmers, doing nothing but sprinting through levels to drop bosses for the loot to sell for RL money.
    Clearly these are people who neither you nor I would have any interest in playing with. The best thing about Diablo III then will be not having to.
    The reasoning for adding this is for fun? no, its greed, pure ****ing greed.
    I don't think anyone will call it fun, not even Blizzard. Calling it greed though? They're a company, it's their job to make money which in turn will finance more games for us to play and given the fact that it's Blizzard, I think that's a good thing.
    To help pay for patches/updates? Advertising could ****ing do that on battlenet lobby alone, this is just pure greed.
    The amount of money made via advertising in games is far less than people imagine.
    Its sad, i used to love blizzard, i thought of them as a company who actually took pride in making good games and respected their customers.
    They still do make great games and are now adding features which many of their customers will like, just not you.
    Now they are cash cow breeders like ****in EA...
    Another company whose job it is to make money. Thankfully, as many around these parts have pointed out in recent times, they've also been developing more new IP than a lot of other companies, some of which hasn't sold as well as hoped. How much money, for instance, do you think they lost on Mirror's Edge?
    Wont be buying D3, just like i didnt buy SC2 after they decided to split the game into 3 campaigns.
    So a 15 hour single player campaign and "unlimited" hours via multiplayer isn't enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

gizmo wrote: »
    Eve manages to do this (albeit in a round about way via the purchase of time cards for real money and then using those for trade) and the game remains balanced. If rich people want to be OP then fine, let them. It's not a full blown MMO so why would you care? As for you then being stuck grinding, again you would have been doing that anyway so what's the problem?

Parents having to say no to their kids? Oh noes! ;)

Clearly these are people who neither you nor I would have any interest in playing with. The best thing about Diablo III then will be not having to.

I don't think anyone will call it fun, not even Blizzard. Calling it greed though? They're a company, it's their job to make money which in turn will finance more games for us to play and given the fact that it's Blizzard, I think that's a good thing.

The amount of money made via advertising in games is far less than people imagine.

They still do make great games and are now adding features which many of their customers will like, just not you.

Another company whose job it is to make money. Thankfully, as many around these parts have pointed out in recent times, they've also been developing more new IP than a lot of other companies, some of which hasn't sold as well as hoped. How much money, for instance, do you think they lost on Mirror's Edge?

So a 15 hour single player campaign and "unlimited" hours via multiplayer isn't enough?

Theres making money and then there is ripping people off. But you bring valid points to my rant and ill accept im being over pessimistic.

But in regards to the SC2, a 15 hour campaign is in no way enough, not when it was going to be 45 hours ;)

So instead of paying for one game i'd have to pay for 3, just because someone had that idea to do that?

What i am getting tired of, is companies like EA and now blizz holding back on content to sell it on later again as "extra content" its disgusting and ruining gaming and it is in no way called for, im sorry.

What it used to be fine to sell games as a whole for the past 1/4 century? but now its ok to make us pay alot more for what would be a complete game in planning, what changed?

And more games coming out? I'm sorry, am i missing something? what NEW games are we getting? Only games i can see them working on is SC3 and SC4, oh sorry, they are SC2, were just paying them 3x the amount because that's what they want, not what they deserve.

Don't mean to attack you in anyway gizmo, im just really annoyed at these changes. And i never played eve, reasoning why, you found ;)

Whats sad is, once all the other companies see how well this works, all the others will follow suite, then trying to enjoy multiple games will be very costly.

remember the phrase playing games people, for it will be soon paying games :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Entitlement is an ugly thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've no problem with what they did with Starcraft 2.

What we got was a fantastic single player campaign, with the production values we've come to expect from Blizzard (i.e. way better then anyone else) and a fantastic multiplayer experience that is still constantly played by a huge number of people. Complaining that we'll get another 2 brilliant single player campaigns with another 2 (no doubt) excellent multiplayer additions is a bit stupid.

Yes it's 2 more games to buy, but it's definitely worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Athene made an interesting argument about it - 78seconds in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Companion box

But in regards to the SC2, a 15 hour campaign is in no way enough, not when it was going to be 45 hours ;)

It was never going to be 45 hours...are you insane? It was always going to be 15 hours just like the original. A 15 hour campaign and an amazing multiplayer component is more than enough to justify full price.

It was going to be 15 hours, split between the 3 races, but instead of compressing the stories to 5 hours a piece blizzard decided to fully flesh out each one. You get more content in story and missions in this one campaign then you got in all 3 of the original starcraft, and thats the point.

The only reason you can have to be upset about this with any degree of logic behind it is that you didn't get the chance to play all 3 races in the campaign, ignoring the fact they are all present in multiplayer.

Arguing that they split the story to deliberately "cash in" is not an argument against SC2 its an argument against ALL expansion packs.

So yeah the SC2 expansion packs are a cash in, but then again, SC:brood war was also a cash in as well as warcraft 3:frozen throne , because they both expanded the stories of the original games, the only difference is that they weren't announced in advance.

So if you are going to argue that point at least be consistent and expand it to all expansion packs, because developers are so evil giving you more of the games you obviously enjoy.

As for your other mindless rants against DLC, in diablos case, you dont have to interact with one that would choose to buy gear so why does it bother you.

Calm down, log on multiplayer with a few friends, ignore this whole auction house thing, and just enjoy the game for what it is, it has no effect on your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

You might not care about these things but some people do.
    TheDoc wrote: »

1) Requires internet connection to play
    You will be able to join up and group up with people on the spot, walk into arenas instantly and have a thriving auction house. And if your PC, in 2011, doesnt have an always on broadband connection, well then thats your problem : /

I have a bloody good broadband connection, but that is beside the point, suppose I don't want to be online with this game. Actually I don't go online with any game, I don't enjoy online multiplayer and stay away from it. I buy games for the single player / story experience. By forcing me to be always online, Blizzard are robbing me of that choice. Whether it works or not, whether I have a broadband connection or not is irrelevant. The point is, another choice has been taken away from me.
    Also what happens if there is maintanence of the network, or my router dies or something else happens and I can't get online. I want to play D3 to pass the time while I wait for the net come come back online....oh wait I can't because I am not online.
    2) Mods are expressly prohibited
    Whats the big deal? We arnt talking about a ground breaker mmo where you need to know bosses cast times and break every second of DPS. Its a hack n slash with a very simple pickup and play style. What modifications to the UI and or the game would you actually need?
    So when you have finished the game and are looking for something new, instead of downloading a community mod/addon or whatever you want to call it which will extend the life of your game, you will have to buy the approved addons. Sorry but that it crap, some of my favorite games are ones I can modify, either myself or by someone else. EG I love playing with the settings files in Crysis and seeing what fun I can have. Sniper Rifle with 6000000 damage, hell yes. Speed x200, oh **** this must be what the Flash feels like at full speed. No they aren't serious, yes it is just a bit of fun, but guess what, again it is my choice on whether or not to do that. Also take Fallout or Oblivion as examples. They have some great addon's and tweaks that make the game so much better looking. Or what about all the mods for half life, not half life 2, half life. Are you really telling me games are better without a active modding community. I dont think so, and for me this is a terrible oversight by Blizzard.
    3) Buy and sell for real money
    If you want, there is nothing forcing you to do either or. I for one welcome the inclusion. I play alot of the AH in WoW and tbh I envy how Eve players cna make real money from their efforts.
    Diablo3 is a gear whoring game, you will get gear to beat the band and earn millions of gold very quickly.

Funnily enough I couldn't care about this point, but others obviously do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Theres making money and then there is ripping people off. But you bring valid points to my rant and ill accept im being over pessimistic.

So instead of paying for one game i'd have to pay for 3, just because someone had that idea to do that?

What i am getting tired of, is companies like EA and now blizz holding back on content to sell it on later again as "extra content" its disgusting and ruining gaming and it is in no way called for, im sorry.

What it used to be fine to sell games as a whole for the past 1/4 century? but now its ok to make us pay alot more for what would be a complete game in planning, what changed?

And more games coming out? I'm sorry, am i missing something? what NEW games are we getting? Only games i can see them working on is SC3 and SC4, oh sorry, they are SC2, were just paying them 3x the amount because that's what they want, not what they deserve.

Don't mean to attack you in anyway gizmo, im just really annoyed at these changes. And i never played eve, reasoning why, you found ;)

Whats sad is, once all the other companies see how well this works, all the others will follow suite, then trying to enjoy multiple games will be very costly.

remember the phrase playing games people, for it will be soon paying games :D

Pretty sure SC2's expansions will be priced as such.. not full games. Im also pretty sure they weren't complete when SC2 was orginally released. 15 hours is a pretty decent sized campaign these days, not to mention the countless hours of MP you get with the game. Im also pretty sure the orginal game took 4 or 5 years to develop... so yeah... suck it up.

As for the new AH system... i have no problem with it, its not like its going to change how i play the game, i'll still be earning my gear the way i also have... no point getting your knickers in a twist because some guy with too much money spends it on items and basically takes the fun out of the game for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Other people have dealt with this so I won't revisit it again other than to say this. When I first heard they were splitting the campaign I was admittedly angry but when they deliver a 15hr campaign of the quality they did on top of the multiplayer I can understand the motivation behind it.
    I've said this before but I'll say it once more for the sake of this thread, if you really think the vast majority of companies will go through the development process and not specifically make content for DLC purposes then you're bloody crazy. This content is earmarked for DLC, if it was not going to be DLC then it wouldn't be made.
    If the price of games in stores rose at the same rate that development costs have increased in the last couple of generations then you wouldn't be playing as many. The simple fact is, most companies need alternative streams of revenue in order to continue to function at the level they do. Some companies clearly take the piss of course (the price of map packs for a certain game or equestrian armor for instance) but in general, as long as it remains unobtrusive to those not wanting to partake then I don't see the problem with it at all.
    Key words there: "I can see". As for the rest, well again other users have dealt with those points.
    I don't feel attacked in the slightest. What I'm simply trying to encourage you and others to do is look at the logic behind some of these moves and consider it rather than jumping on the rage train.

As for Eve, **** that, I've never touched it and never will, it scares the **** out of me. I'm just surrounded by a bunch of people who do unfortunately. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sc2 is a multiplayer game, the campaign is ****e anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kiith wrote: »
    I loved the campaign.

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

why though?

some of the missions were sort of interesting but in general it was very cheesy crap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

To each their own, I suppose. I also loved it, cheese doesn't equal bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Couple of other flaws in Nix's argument:

Blizzard don't make console games like damn near every other giant publisher. This means they *must* capture as much of the PC gaming market as possible with every game they make. They make incredibly good and popular multi-player games, so they're by far and away one of the best in the business at what they do. So, by ignoring the console market, they can focus on useful stuff for PC gamers who take their game *very* seriously as well as those who don't want that involved a game.

Advertisement