Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3: Have Blizzard shot themselves in the foot?

Options
  • 01-08-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

News has come in that Blizzard have confirmed some absolutely ridiculous features for the upcoming Diablo 3. These include the follow stipulations,

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.
    2) Mods are “expressly prohibited.”
    3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money.
    1) “One of the things that we felt was really important was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you’d start a character, you’d get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.” Also, piracy.

2) “For a variety of gameplay and security reasons, we will not be supporting bots or mods in Diablo III, and they’ll be expressly prohibited by our terms of use for the game.”

3) “We think it’s really going to add a lot of depth to the game. If I have more money than time I can purchase items, or if I’m leet in the game I can get benefits out of it. The players really want it. This is something that we know people are going to do either way. We can provide them a really safe, awesome, fun experience, or they’ll find ways of doing it elsewhere.” Blizzard will take a small cut, but they’re not expecting to make too much of a profit out of it themselves. They also say there’ll be level caps on items, so you can’t immediately shortcut to a high-level sword with a level-1 character, not matter how rich you are, plus there will also be an additional auction house that uses in-game gold. So this element of the game can, at least, be dodged entirely.

I know for a fact now that I won't be purchasing this game, possibly pirate it.

Instead ill be going for Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,976 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Online all the time is because Blizzard want to control the auction house since they will be getting a % cut from each sale I'd wager. If they allow mods and offline solo play they will have people hacking the game and giving themselves rare items to sell making them common and destroying that economy.

However it's still ridiculous. I'd much rather the alternative of no stupid auction house and offline solo play. **** off Activision.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Stev_o wrote: »
    1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.
    2) Mods are “expressly prohibited.”
    3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money

Wow. And there goes any chance of me or my friends & family ever paying for this game. I don't care for #3, #2 is a massive positive PCs have over consoles, and #1, that's a deal breaker. It's a massive point of contention for me, regardless of my internet connection, and I refuse to support anyone that demands constant surveillance. They're practically encouraging piracy by making the experience worse for paying customers. Was it Assassin's Creed on the PC that tried this before?

It's a good thing they mentioned this now, they'll have time to undo it after they receive tons of hate mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Companion box

Its a well known fact that torchlight is one of the most pirated games out there, sure they took zero measures to prevent this but community "good will" didn't stop the game from being copied roughly 50 times for each single purchase.

In addition, diablo 3 will not have any kind of competitive scene to assure a source of revenue once the game is launched like starcraft 2. So naturally they would like secure some kind of revenue source in order to support the game further through content and balance patches, i don't have any problem with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

Where there is competition between players I don't like the option of people being able to buy their way to the top. If I'm interpreting this correctly, I would be able to sell any items I got in game for real cash? I can see that ending badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

OMFG!!! are they for real?! i was so looking forward to this, but now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

brb getting Guild Wars 2 instead of D3

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Companion box

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Understand 1 (I mainly play online games anyway)
    Can see 2 changed in the future (expect it to go the route of "private DLC sale")
    Refuse to accept 3 on a "general" server; special servers go right ahead (I can accept premium accounts for 2x exp or similar but not buying items straight out)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yep, that about sums it up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

"boycotts" are toothless threats made by avid fans of the series to ensure quality. But what they actually set out to do happens - they're assured that the sequel in question is as good as it's going to be.

People might still buy it but I bet they'll also download the not-always-online patch; if it hasn't been removed by Blizzard by then. I also bet a noticeable portion will pirate out of spite rather than 'were going to pirate regardless'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mods and the Internet I could live with but the fact that items can be traded for real life money brings an element of people to the game that no one likes.

I for one will not be supporting china based D3 item farming sweatshops ;)
    Thats said the old saying rings true .... "A fool and their money....."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bit over the top TBh.

Diablo 3 requires an online connection because its a mini mmo, there will be the ability to link up with players constantly, PvP at any stage and an Auction House thats always alive.

But seriously give me a break, I for one think its a great idea, and its not a new idea either.

Eve has long since allowed players to do the same which essentially covers gametime making the game free, and profitable.

There is nothing forcing you to buy items with real money, you can use ingame currency fine.

I dont get why people get so over dramatic over nothing, there is really, really nothing here at all.

1) Requires internet connection to play
    You will be able to join up and group up with people on the spot, walk into arenas instantly and have a thriving auction house. And if your PC, in 2011, doesnt have an always on broadband connection, well then thats your problem : /

2) Mods are expressly prohibited
    Whats the big deal? We arnt talking about a ground breaker mmo where you need to know bosses cast times and break every second of DPS. Its a hack n slash with a very simple pickup and play style. What modifications to the UI and or the game would you actually need?

3) Buy and sell for real money
    If you want, there is nothing forcing you to do either or. I for one welcome the inclusion. I play alot of the AH in WoW and tbh I envy how Eve players cna make real money from their efforts.
    Diablo3 is a gear whoring game, you will get gear to beat the band and earn millions of gold very quickly.

And here is an opportunity to earn a few pennies aswell. Yeah some items will be pricey, but most are relatively cheap. I'd have no problem lodging a tenner into my account to cover listing costs, if I'm making profits, and I dont see how anyone else could either.

And the EXTREMELY INTELLEGENT decision by Blizzard to take a cut regardless of an item selling or not, ensures competitive pricing and no stupid bidding.

I dont really see the problem, its the way games are going, including real economoy and real opportunities.

If you want to have a proper debate/rant, how about the ingame rela money bidding on Fifa 12 matches for spectators and actual players. With the amount that Fifa accounts get hacked I cant wait to see the tears that will bring.

Welcome addition from me, interesting, inventive, different. And if anyone can do it right its Blizzard. And there seems to be a weird trend in opinion. Community based forums like this where you dont really know what games the poster plays, seem to be negative.

All over the Blizzard community forums and websites, it seems to be applauded and welcome : /

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Im guessing you can still trade items using ingame currency aswel ? I've no objection to people buying items for RL money, whatever floats your boat i guess.

With #1 are they saying that you cant play without being online ? Or that you can only play an "Offline" character and would have to create a new character for online play ? Either way im grand with it because it is one way to cut out piracy.... PC community have only themselves to blame for this im afraid.

No mods is a bit meh.. but sure what can ya do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Gone are the days when your cash at till was the last time you took your money out of your pockets for that game.
    I never bought those stupid pets or mounts in WoW since it didn't help with gear or raiding, but feel this could have a major impact ingame if you wanna be he best you're gonna have to fork out cash on certain items since the best items won't be sold for ingame gold and if they are you can be sure you'll have people with huge stockpiles of gold from farming to snap it up and sell it for cash.
    Blizz will need to thread carefully with this.
    I'm really anti micro transactions and dlc i think it's a big farce.

Magill wrote: »
    Im guessing you can still trade items using ingame currency aswel ? I've no objection to people buying items for RL money, whatever floats your boat i guess.

You can do either or. If you dont want to engage in real transactions you can deal in gold. When you go to list an item for sale you can choose if you want to list the price with real money or ingame gold.

The Ah also lets you filter out wether you want to search by ingame currency or real life. It looks very clever and easy to completely ignore real life transactions if you like.

Personally I wont be buying any items, since Diablo is a such a gear itnensive game, something better always drops the night after. However I know theres people with more money then sense so I'll be listing some more high level items for moneys.

My guild mates are already talking about " money nights" getting a group together to farm content and items to sell and split the profits and other ways to create a bit of profit.

Realisticly with a bit of intuition and patience and a bit of luck, this game will pay of itself.
    And dont forget you have like a bank balance. In theory you could get an item drop you could sell for €5, and if you want, spend that €5 on items.

I've already decided to put €10 as my max input at any one time. And when I get to €20, withdraw funds and leave it at €10.

This way I've got money to list items, buy a big upgrade. But I also don't let myself go and put in loads of money, lets not forget when you withdraw money into your paypal etc, Blizzard get a small fee, as do paypal. So I'd say for every €10 I withdraw, I'll only get maybe €6-7. Which I won't complain about, its free money.

Its also interesting to see how the actual money comes in, I might be making assumptions that it will be like WoW where 10k floods in a week , I assume the uptake will be slower.

But its the players choice, I've made up my mind, ive made a plan, and cause I'm responsible and not a dope, I know I wont be loosing my bollox to this.

The thought of speculating with ingame items for real money is also really really interesting aswell.
    With #1 are they saying that you cant play without being online ? Or that you can only play an "Offline" character and would have to create a new character for online play ? Either way im grand with it because it is one way to cut out piracy.... PC community have only themselves to blame for this im afraid.

This was the model of old Diablos. You had an offline character you could play on your tod, then you had another character you played online with mates. Because this isn't the 90's anymore and everyone should have a broadband connection, theyve morphed it into the one where you just play with an online connection.

I dont see the big swing with this either to be honest, alot of games are like this anyway with logging in for anti piracy. Yeah few people are going to be left behind with no broadband or mobile internet...

Then again if your off the above there is plenty of other games for you to play

i was a bit WTF when i read it, but then i read in to mmochampion notes on this.

it can work out to be honest. i presume no monthly sub then?

but i can see soooo much whining now about items droping in groups. i bet it will make quite ****y for giving stuff to friends too, becouse you will allways have some greedy fecker who will want 1 doller for some ****...

its too early to judge, but i know it wount stop me from playing D3.

KilOit wrote: »
    Gone are the days when your cash at till was the last time you took your money out of your pockets for that game.
    I never bought those stupid pets or mounts in WoW since it didn't help with gear or raiding, but feel this could have a major impact ingame if you wanna be he best you're gonna have to fork out cash on certain items since the best items won't be sold for ingame gold and if they are you can be sure you'll have people with huge stockpiles of gold from farming to snap it up and sell it for cash.
    Blizz will need to thread carefully with this.
    I'm really anti micro transactions and dlc i think it's a big farce.

With Diablo you'll have a new integrated system into your Battlenet thats like a mini bank.

So there is an assumption that with micro transaction you HAVE to spend money to be competitive.

Lets not forget you can buy items for real money without spending a penny of your money

WHAT THAT MAKES NO SENSE

If I'm running a dungeon and [Big dragon of moneybags] drops, I can stroll to the AH and list it for real money.

So I put my sword up for €10, pricey, but its a badass sword, with the hilt made of Tom Sellecks tash. Listing fee? Its a couple of cents to list an item, and if it seels, the AH takes a cut ( similar to wow) and doesnt take a listing fee.

OK, i'll list my Sword for the 2 cents it costs and list it for €10.

My sword sells, blizzard take a cut of €1 and I get €9 for my sword into my blizzard account.

So for putting 2cents of my money into a game, I've been able to make €9. This €9 I can spend on buying items, I can save, I can use to speculate and double my investment or I can withdraw.

Sounds nice to me

it can work out to be honest. i presume no monthly sub then?

Correct, no monthly sub, in theory you could pay the game off Eve style and be boom free game :)

Interested to see if the way loot is rolled for etc alright, I know old diablo was just whoever could click it the fastest, and I think the new Diablo3 is the same

Get those mouses ready boys!

TheDoc wrote: »
    With Diablo you'll have a new integrated system into your Battlenet thats like a mini bank.

So there is an assumption that with micro transaction you HAVE to spend money to be competitive.

Lets not forget you can buy items for real money without spending a penny of your money

WHAT THAT MAKES NO SENSE

If I'm running a dungeon and [Big dragon of moneybags] drops, I can stroll to the AH and list it for real money.

So I put my sword up for €10, pricey, but its a badass sword, with the hilt made of Tom Sellecks tash. Listing fee? Its a couple of cents to list an item, and if it seels, the AH takes a cut ( similar to wow) and doesnt take a listing fee.

OK, i'll list my Sword for the 2 cents it costs and list it for €10.

My sword sells, blizzard take a cut of €1 and I get €9 for my sword into my blizzard account.

So for putting 2cents of my money into a game, I've been able to make €9. This €9 I can spend on buying items, I can save, I can use to speculate and double my investment or I can withdraw.

Sounds nice to me

you see, problem with this, it will attract people who are not players, but ninjas and pure money bitches.

if you played wow, you should remember auctionier bastords, who sit all day with mod buy and resale stuff and making buble prices. this time it will be with real money.

i like idea, but i allready see it being abused, by chinese farmers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They could honestly turn WoW free to play within a year or two if Diablo's AH becomes successful - by converting WoW AH's to Cash Money/Gold Hybrid you could seriously rethink the way that game is played. When Cata came out I could hardly be bothered to have to get a whole new set of armor just to grind away at the same bosses all the time now could I. And in Arena/BG if you aren't there from Week 1 of the season to the end, maxing out your points each week, you're wasting your time. When you take that first week off you get yourself screwed out of it.

I would support a play-only earning system if they didn't make it such a ****ing grind to get things. You pretty much are expected to play world of warcraft 20 hours a week or more to stay competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The auction house is good for micro-transactions/DLC value, any DLC items will need to compare favourably to what can be bought at auction. Why would i pay for the diablo equivalent of horse armour when i can get something better off any of the thousands of players in the auction house.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Why don't they just call it an MMO and be done with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,976 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Diablo 2 was pretty much a proto MMO though.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

It's a fantastic concept and the fact they are sandboxing it means it will work. It would be a completely different scenario if they sold items at a set price and could artificially interfere with the economy by releasing newer and more powerful items. The fact that anything sold has to be "created" by the player, and by that I mean you have to physically go out and get the item, will make it player driven and will simply make it work. Inflation will be mental at the start but when people realise their items aren't selling and the few cent per listing suddenly pushes into a few euro items will sell at the correct price.

This won't be like other in game economies in that old content farming and will simply not be profitable if everyone has the same idea. Niches are going to be hard to find and RNG on drops / rolls will be your main money maker until you can get yourself into areas where the majority of the population cannot go. It will create a ninja environment but tbh that's circumvented by the community. It's the same with WoW, I can group up with 4 random strangers and waste the next two hours or run the same instance with the people I know are reliable and dependable (regardless of gear level) and do it in 20 mins.

I will get the game and if over the course of a year I manage to save up enough money to buy another game for free (or a game sub) it's money well spent. I won't be going out of my way to farm for stuff, if decent gear drops that I don't need it's money in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Lets be honest.. its going to make for some awesome ninja looting youtube videos...

"WHAAAD DA FUUCK??"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I have no problems with points 1 and 2 since i played D2 grand without mods, and as another poster mentioned its not so complex that you need boss cast timers and such ala WoW. Also plan to play online multiplayer exclusively.

Slight problem with point 3 though...

I read somewhere that D3 will have a Need/Greed roll system like Wow and wont be fastest fingers win all the loot (In D2 i actually used to stop attacking bosses close to their deaths so i could get ready to be a greedy bastid)

If it is for sure Need/Greed system whats to stop people from needing on items that they dont actually need so they can make a few quid on the AH? Then that brings into question BoE and BoP items. I hope that most if not all the best gear in the game is BoP. If there is alot of BoE items that are the best items in the game in their respective class, then alot of people will be selling them on the AH if they dont have a char suited for such an item. Then we have people getting the best gear in the game for real money which is just...wrong. Buying good gear on the AH is fine but not the best, no please no Blizz.

Other than that I think the AH system sounds good. I know i wont have every class in the game at max level, maybe 1 or 2 so if i can make a few quid on an item i dont need thats very nice indeed.

On another note. Does anyone know if Magic Find will be back in the game? If so Sorc/Voodoo will be my first char :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Even in a good guild or whatever their called in Diablo a player could be inclined to ninja a very good rare item that would only drop off a hard boss were the Chinese can't get to, people really show their true colors when $$$ is involved.

Like in WoW's case imagine a guild leader in charge of the guild bank stocked up with raid instance craft mats like Sunwells Sunmotes or Living Ember in Cata and with the ton of Boe epics guild banks have, when you're looking at earning a couple of thousand in earnings with the major guilds having huge stockpiles, expect to see major drama on forums when a guild leader or officer ****s over everyone to make some serious coin. now thats providing Diablo follows WoW guild structure with guild banks and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

And if your PC, in 2011, doesnt have an always on broadband connection, well then thats your problem : /
    Sadly, not everywhere has the same quality of internet connection as you seem to have :P
    We arnt talking about a ground breaker mmo where you need to know bosses cast times and break every second of DPS.
    Based on my experience of Diablo 2 unmodded vs. modded, mods can bring a phenomenal amount of content to a game - the particular mod I'm playing at the moment (Median XL) revamps nearly everything in the game (apart from most of the end of Act bosses), and added loads of new content for high level characters. A bit of a far cry from (what I would consider, relatively speaking, to be) simple things like boss alerts and whatnot :P
    What modifications to the UI and or the game would you actually need?
    Well, modifications can breathe new life into a game once it gets to the point where it gets boring for a particular person (amongst other things, like the gameplay tweaking of CSProMod). While we will have to wait and see how D3 will fare in terms of longevity, I'm disappointed that the option won't exist because I'm sure that some individual (or modding group) could come up with something incredible, given the chance.
    you see, problem with this, it will attract people who are not players, but ninjas and pure money bitches.
    I thought D3 was implementing a feature whereby you would only see dropped loot that was available to be picked up by you (I'm not 100% certain on whether it was loot that was usable by you, or an item of loot which was yours and only yours for the taking) - if it's the second, would that not make ninjas less of a problem since they wouldn't be necessarily be taking other people's loot?

I'm going to look around to get the information, I'm fairly sure there was talk of that feature but I can't recall the specifics.
    EDIT: Here we go. The items you see are yours and yours alone, it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Robby91 wrote: »
    Sadly, not everywhere has the same quality of internet connection as you seem to have :P
    Especially in this country.

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    Lets be honest.. its going to make for some awesome ninja looting youtube videos...

"WHAAAD DA FUUCK??"

i have to agree. there will be some ninja looting and HUNTERWEAPONZZZZZZZZZZ all over the place!

Advertisement