Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I was at the kildare v Longford game last week in Pearse Park and the pitch is a disgrace . Thankfully it wasn't a high tempo game because lads will pick up terrible injuries very quickly.
    I feel for the game this weekend being played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If the Hyde is unplayable in 3 weeks games will be most likely be in Tullamore. Ros need those games in the Hyde ,the home county gets the gate for league games unlike the championship and that would be a huge loss not only to the CB but also to the town itself.
    Either way the pit h will be ripped up and relead in June and it's badly needed.

As farcical as this seems the CB haven't written off the game going ahead in Ros on Sunday but it's as well leave it be now.

Addle wrote: »
    Dublin will play Roscommon in the Hyde. That's what they're saving it for.

They need that game huge cash at stake if it doesn't go ahead, talk is they expected 15k+ at the game.that's a huge loss of revenue for the CB which is already earmarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

yabadabado wrote: »
    They need that game huge cash at stake if it doesn't go ahead, talk is they expected 15k+ at the game.that's a huge loss of revenue for the CB which is already earmarked.

I hope they don't have it all spent already. Are they aware that season ticket holders get in for free? Dublin and Mayo both have 5000. That's 10,000 potential spectators who won't have to pay in, regardless of where the games are held.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    I hope they don't have it all spent already. Are they aware that season ticket holders get in for free? Dublin and Mayo both have 5000. That's 10,000 potential spectators who won't have to pay in, regardless of where the games are held.

Well I do t know how it's decided or divided but the cost of the season ticket well covers the cost of tickets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ProudDUB wrote: »

Wrong.
    A slice of the season ticket goes to the home team.
    There'll be a heat wave over Easter and all will be well in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What do you mean by "a slice"? Do they get reimbursed the 10 or 15 quid, for every single season ticket holder that goes thru the turnstiles? Or do they just get a flat rate, lump sum from the combined season ticket kitty?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It would be very disappointing if the Roscommon Mayo game did'nt go ahead in the Hyde.As things stand Roscommon could be fighting for a semi final spot and I'd imagine it's likely to be a must win game for ourselves.

What with the historical rivalry between the counties,north of 4,000 season Mayo season ticket holders and it being Easter Sunday a very large attendance is a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

I believe the 'unplayableness' of the Hyde is being overstated.

I work with a man who told me yesterday that he spoke to two separate people who walked the pitch in the last two days. The word was that it was slightly 'soft' with occasional spots where a bit of a 'squelch' could be noticed.

It was thought that with a few dry days the pitch would definitely be playable, but with the unpredictable nature of Irish weather they couldn't risk playing the Down game there after a few days of non-cooperation from the heavens, ruin the pitch and then not have it available for the Mayo and (especially) Dublin games.

I think everything is geared towards making sure it's ok for the Dublin match. Not sure where that leaves the Mayo game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

megadodge wrote: »
    I believe the 'unplayableness' of the Hyde is being overstated.

I work with a man who told me yesterday that he spoke to two separate people who walked the pitch in the last two days. The word was that it was slightly 'soft' with occasional spots where a bit of a 'squelch' could be noticed.

It was thought that with a few dry days the pitch would definitely be playable, but with the unpredictable nature of Irish weather they couldn't risk playing the Down game there after a few days of non-cooperation from the heavens, ruin the pitch and then not have it available for the Mayo and (especially) Dublin games.

I think everything is geared towards making sure it's ok for the Dublin match. Not sure where that leaves the Mayo game.

I think they should be much more worried about the Mayo one, and I'm sure they are. Likely to be much more important and have the better atmosphere of the two ties.

If we have to play Dublin in Mullingar what odds but the idea of giving up another home game against Mayo will sicken supporters. Mayo is the rivalry game for Roscommon.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    I think they should be much more worried about the Mayo one, and I'm sure they are. Likely to be much more important and have the better atmosphere of the two ties.

If we have to play Dublin in Mullingar what odds but the idea of giving up another home game against Mayo will sicken supporters. Mayo is the rivalry game for Roscommon.

I don't disagree with that at all.

However, as has been alluded to already, every hotel room and B&B around the town has been sold out for ages for the weekend of the Dubs match. They will bring a huge crowd for a league game and the economic benefits to the town and the CB are definitely factors that will be taken into consideration when the decision is being made.

the Mayo and Dublin games will be in the Hyde.

no chance of either being moved

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Any truth in the Mayo game being moved to Longford or is it just rubbish

I'm going to go into the hyde today and see what state the pitch is in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Good luck trying to get in to the Hyde!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A drop of weedkiller would hardly break the bank. ...

Addle wrote: »
    Good luck trying to get in to the Hyde!

The gate is usually open when I drive past.

Looking forward to tomorrow regardless of venue. Great chance to show the consistency we lacked last year. Favoured to beat Laois, Galway, Sligo and Fermanagh last year but couldn't deal with either the pressure of being favourites or simply stringing results together.

We won spectacular games last year too but followed it up with muck in the winnable ones. Tomorrow might prove to be the most meaningful win of all three if we do it.

To pretty much wrap up survival after Round 4 would be an unexpected and excellent start to 2016 and allow us a lot of freedom in the preparation for the championship. Lots at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The gate is usually open when I drive past.

Well anything to report?

Most Dubs want this is the Hyde. There will be a massive crowd at this game. Both teams could be heading for semi-finals but it is close to last chance saloon for players looking to get into championship team.

Only thing that could effect the Dubs travelling is a lot of club games have been called off due to all the rain and it will be hard to get games moved so most likely a full set of club fixtures that Saturday evening/Sunday morning and it is a good 2 hour drive. The game would need to be a 3pm throw-in

LeoB wrote: »
    Well anything to report?

Most Dubs want this is the Hyde. There will be a massive crowd at this game. Both teams could be heading for semi-finals but it is close to last chance saloon for players looking to get into championship team.

Only thing that could effect the Dubs travelling is a lot of club games have been called off due to all the rain and it will be hard to get games moved so most likely a full set of club fixtures that Saturday evening/Sunday morning and it is a good 2 hour drive. The game would need to be a 3pm throw-in

It's down for 2pm. The times for the Donegal and Mayo games have changed to 3pm and 3:30pm respectively so who knows.

• Advertisement

Job done. Not a great performance on a muddy field but one with a lot of effort and honest work, which is exactly what you need when a team sits 14 men behind the ball.

Fintan Cregg MotM by a mile. His work-rate, physicality and scoring are something else. By Christ has that lad broke through this year. Bit of the Colm Boyles about him, took some time for him to reach his potential but now that he has you'd find it hard to name a starting team without him.

Stuck my head into the Hyde today.
    Pitch is fine, a but soft, plenty of grass. It has been spiked.

I'd say it could have easily hosted yesterday's game considering how poor Pearse Park was and the small crowd, but they probably want to ensure the Mayo game goes ahead in the Hyde and the big gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

padd b1975 wrote: »

Jaysus ... You wouldn't see that in Afghanistan

Any word on Diarmuid Murtagh injury ?Could he make an appearance for U21'sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I believe that picture is from many years ago and was taken before it hosted 3 of the last 5 Connacht senior football finals.

Any word on Diarmuid Murtagh injury ?Could he make an appearance for U21'sale.

Word has it that he'll miss the U21 game, even with the change to Friday.
    So will Ultan Harney.
    That really, really damages Roscommon's chances.

I heard from an unreliable source that Mulloolly is back in training. Anybody know? If so, will he play on Friday?

megadodge wrote: »
    Word has it that he'll miss the U21 game, even with the change to Friday.
    So will Ultan Harney.
    That really, really damages Roscommon's chances.

I heard from an unreliable source that Mulloolly is back in training. Anybody know? If so, will he play on Friday?

Murtagh and Mulloolly fit and will play is what I heard. Mulloolly definitely isn't injured anymore and rust would be the only thing holding him back. Harney is close enough that if we were truly desperate he may have played but senior management have rightly guarded the lad.

Cathal Compton past his injury worries and will start.

Is stolensheep site gone ?

Is stolensheep site gone ?

[url]Http://stolen-sheep.proboards.com[/url]

Old one shut down without warning but it was revived immediately under new management.

• Advertisement

Very good result for the U21s tonight.

Won by a goal, but made hard work of it at the end when conceding one of the worst defensive goals I've seen in a long time.

Mullooly and Murtagh played the full match and both looked understandably rusty, but at least there was no sign of any discomfort and the gametime will only do them good.

Overall defended well and moved the ball in good controlled moves. Midfield was helped bigtime with the sending off of one of Galway's midfielders for a second yellow. That was crucial, although Roscommon already looked the better overall side at that stage.

Galway player got black-carded in the middle of the second half, but Galway had used all six subs by then so finished with only 13 players.

I have to admit Roscommon are a better team than I expected. Henry Walsh looked very sharp, busy and classy at centre-forward. I was also impressed with the Clann corner forward (whose name I can't remember - something like Mullanin??). He seemed to be on the ball very regularly and always seemed to be in space. The two corner backs scored, no. 4 got two points and both also defended well.

Good win. Onto Sligo.

Advertisement