Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Syferus wrote: »
    Yep he was. So was Devanney and Cathal McHugh. Both back this year as other 06 players line Donie Shine, Higgins, Keenan and Carty are out injured or not match fit yet. For a single minor team they've given some service to the senior team. Domican is working in the Middle East or he'd be on the panel this year too. Ormsby and O'Gara have also played many games for the senior team off that minor side.

Fintan would have got looks a few times under just about every new manger but didn't stick far beyond a league campaign or two. Always been the star man for his club Elphin who once were the number two team chasing St. Brigids in the county. This year he's going from strength to strength, where he'd lay off a lateral pass in years past he's going for it himself and he's rooting out so many dirty balls. It's great to see a lad making good on their talent.

a couple of distant relations on my mother side played on that Roscommon minor team. Colm and Paul Garvey. Tommy Walsh, Johnny Buckley, David Moran and Shane Enight played in that minor final for Kerry in 06 and played today. Roscommon must be their bogey side :) Peter Domican big loss for Brigids and Roscommon. David Flynn the captain and centre back was good player on that team who didnt play much senior

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

pure mighty, some win below in kerry, they were filthy so even better to wipe the grin of their faces. Great to see the celebrations from the players and the crowd afterwards, it was like we won the all Ireland, another point against one of the good teams and 2 from the down game and we'll be sound out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Gael85 wrote: »
    a couple of distant relations on my mother side played on that Roscommon minor team. Colm and Paul Garvey. Tommy Walsh, Johnny Buckley, David Moran and Shane Enight played in that minor final for Kerry in 06 and played today. Roscommon must be their bogey side :) Peter Domican big loss for Brigids and Roscommon. David Flynn the captain and centre back was good player on that team who didnt play much senior

Paul would have been playing in 2010 when we won the Connacht title against the run of play. Flynn had to emigrate not long after the minor win and only came back a few years ago, even featured in the league under Evans actually. I tried to do some rough math there and something like 14-15 of the 2006 minor panel have played for the senior county team. Crazy. And at the time people regarded it as a team effort without many star players. Turns out it was one of the most talent laden minor teams we've ever produced.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

pure mighty, some win below in kerry, they were filthy so even better to wipe the grin of their faces. Great to see the celebrations from the players and the crowd afterwards, it was like we won the all Ireland, another point against one of the good teams and 2 from the down game and we'll be sound out

I'd say it was the place to be today. I'm sure it made all the work in getting to division 1 worth it. Kerry wouldn't have wanted to drop more points this year, with Donegal and Cork still to play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Great win. Roscommon kicked some absolutely brilliant scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Having been away for the day, I had no idea how the match went, so I watched my recorded version as live. Great result! And it was deserved too.

Thankfully the turnovers that cost so dearly last week and were also very evident early in the first today, were improved upon. There's still work to be done (Enda Smith's handpasses to Kerry players just have to be mentioned), but beating Kerry in Killarney is not something to complain about. There was a very healthy work ethic evident from start to finish and while Kerry were a long way short of their best, it was great to see.

Without wanting to be negative I couldn't believe the referee let O'Brien take SIXTEEN STEPS after charging head down in the leadup to Kerry's goal. That's right SIXTEEN - it was so obvious I immediately wound back and counted them. Unbelievable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

megadodge wrote: »

Without wanting to be negative I couldn't believe the referee let O'Brien take SIXTEEN STEPS after charging head down in the leadup to Kerry's goal. That's right SIXTEEN - it was so obvious I immediately wound back and counted them. Unbelievable!!
    Sixteen has got to be a record :-)
    This business of allowing a player two hand wrap the ball, rugby drive at the defender, leg pump the defender, break free from the defender and take a two step to settle to shoot. I guess that is how you end up at sixteen.
    If you're being tackled you have to still solo. Gives the defender some chance of disposessing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I guess some Roscommon people are still bitter since 1980, for the lads calling Kerry filthy I'd advise www.specsavers.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Stinicker wrote: »
    I guess some Roscommon people are still bitter since 1980, for the lads calling Kerry filthy I'd advise www.specsavers.ie

Kerry deserved to have TWO players sent off for blatant strikes

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Kerry deserved to have TWO players sent off for blatant strikes

Everyone in GAA in Ireland knows full well Kerry are the cutest hoors going. They can do most of what Tyrone do without getting wrecked by the media. We can learn plenty from them in that sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Massive, massive congrats to the Rossie's, especially the large numbers who made the trip to Kilarney. It was a richly deserved win. Delighted for ye !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

To be fair, your posting history on anything to do with Kerry is embarrassing to say the least so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

Well done on the win today to all Rossies. Early days, but that win may kickstart something for the year, who knows. Impressed with the intensity brought to the game today by ye. Some of the forward play was good, given the conditions especially also.

Couple of Kerry lads were lucky to not see black or worse to be fair. However I hope the "simulation" or whatever you want to call it doesn't become part of Roscommon modus operandi for the year.
    Keep the on-the-edge physicality and intensity and lose the playacting and I look forward to watching the team later in the year.

To be fair, your posting history on anything to do with Kerry is embarrassing to say the least so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

Well done on the win today to all Rossies. Early days, but that win may kickstart something for the year, who knows. Impressed with the intensity brought to the game today by ye. Some of the forward play was good, given the conditions especially also.

Couple of Kerry lads were lucky to not see black or worse to be fair. However I hope the "simulation" or whatever you want to call it doesn't become part of Roscommon modus operandi for the year.
    Keep the on-the-edge physicality and intensity and lose the playacting and I look forward to watching the team later in the year.
    look, when a referee doesn't spot 16 steps in the lead up to a Kerry goal, you cannot complain about play acting, time wasting and simulating
    Kerry are well able for that as well
    remember the AI final two years ago?

look, when a referee doesn't spot 16 steps in the lead up to a Kerry goal, you cannot complain about play acting, time wasting and simulating
    Kerry are well able for that as well
    remember the AI final two years ago?

Engaging in a bit of handbags is a trademark of Kerry when they're a couple up late on in a game sure. As the rules stands (and certainly as the referee applies the rules) it pays to engage at the end of a close match and take 30 seconds to a minute off the clock. Too many times we were the innocent lambs been jobbed by teams like Tyrone, Monaghan and Mayo by trying to play football and not engage. A bit of cop on is welcome. Until the rules change for the better it's essential to have at this level. As long as we're not striking players I wouldn't mind. Only Purcell going for a headlock near the end would have been over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Excellent performance from the Rossie's in Killarney yesterday,They played brilliantly and Kerry seemed kinda all over the place but we will be OK as the season goes on.I don't agree that is was a dirty game or overly cynical it was just rough winter football.

I am delighted that the Ross are looking capable at this level and hopefully they can pick up another couple of points & stay up. Sean McDermott,Enda Smith and Cathal Cregg impressed me and i doubt the likes of Senan Kilbride & The Murtaghs will be as quiet in other games.

Fingers crossed we have a trip to the Hyde next year and best of luck for the rest of the year

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Excellent performance from the Rossie's in Killarney yesterday,They played brilliantly and Kerry seemed kinda all over the place but we will be OK as the season goes on.I don't agree that is was a dirty game or overly cynical it was just rough winter football.

I am delighted that the Ross are looking capable at this level and hopefully they can pick up another couple of points & stay up. Sean McDermott,Enda Smith and Cathal Cregg impressed me and i doubt the likes of Senan Kilbride & The Murtaghs will be as quiet in other games.

Fingers crossed we have a trip to the Hyde next year and best of luck for the rest of the year

Well Diarmuid Murtagh and Senan Kilbride were out injured so that wouldn't be too hard Joe!!

Ciaran Murtagh scored a terrific free against the wind in the second half and his work rate is always excellent. Very underrated player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

The overall team spirit and attitude was one of the most pleasing things about yesterday's win. A couple of points down away to traditional power house of Kerry facing into that win it would have been easy for some lads to down tools.

Thought the full back line were immense, Collins display was very little surprise but was really impressed with mcinerney and how he settled into the game.

Great to have Fintan back in the panel. His strength and ability to take long range scores will be of great importance as the year goes on.

Still lots of work to be done to retain our place in Div 1, winning primary possession from our kick outs and cheap turnovers but I have been impressed by the sound bites from management and their honest assessment of our displays so expect these issues to be worked on and improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

The competition for places in the squad is fantastic. If a player misses a game theres a guy to come in and really stake his claim for a place. Cregg, Enda Smith and Ciaran Murtagh were vital in the win but Conor Devaney and Cian Connolly really came to the fore too.

Its great to see us use a lot more foot passing too

The competition for places in the squad is fantastic. If a player misses a game theres a guy to come in and really stake his claim for a place. Cregg, Enda Smith and Ciaran Murtagh were vital in the win but Conor Devaney and Cian Connolly really came to the fore too.

Its great to see us use a lot more foot passing too

Foot passing really gets the ball up the field quickly.

And opens up space for forwards.

Long may it continue.

• Advertisement

Our general style of play is better under Fergie and McStay in general and long may it continue. Evans used to bring 13 man back in Division 3 games, against Kerry and Monaghan they showed faith in our forwards to get us over the line and we're very unlucky not to have 4 from 4 so far.

Down and Mayo at home are the two big games for us. I just hope the players have enough in them to go again come Championship time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Our general style of play is better under Fergie and McStay in general and long may it continue. Evans used to bring 13 man back in Division 3 games, against Kerry and Monaghan they showed faith in our forwards to get us over the line and we're very unlucky not to have 4 from 4 so far.

Down and Mayo at home are the two big games for us. I just hope the players have enough in them to go again come Championship time.

Isn't Down an away game.We only have Mayo and Dublin left at home.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Will the pitch at the Hyde be playable by then?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Isn't Down an away game.We only have Mayo and Dublin left at home.?

Down is a home game. Only Cork and Donegal away in the last five.

Addle wrote: »
    Will the pitch at the Hyde be playable by then?

That's anybodies guess but it's it a mess now.They have a few weeks to sort it so hopefully the CB are working on it. Be a joke if we had to play Mayo or Dublin in Carrick.

That's anybodies guess but it's it a mess now.They have a few weeks to sort it so hopefully the CB are working on it. Be a joke if we had to play Mayo or Dublin in Carrick.

No games been played on it in months so there's no wear on the field bar any cutting that's been done. I'd expect it to be fine for the remaining home games unless there's torrential rain the week of the Down match.

Otherwise it'll be Kiltoom for Down. I can't see the Mayo or Dublin games in late March/April being weather effected.

Syferus wrote: »
    No games been played on it in months so there's no wear on the field bar any cutting that's been done. I'd expect it to be fine for the remaining home games unless there's torrential rain the week of the Down match.

Otherwise it'll be Kiltoom for Down. I can't see the Mayo or Dublin games in late March/April being weather effected.

I was told my a person from inside the set up that the state of the pitch was terrible and it will need plenty of time and good weather to be in proper condition for games.Hopefully with improved weather over the next few weeks it will be ready for the rest of the home games.I think 3 weeks until Down but not a major issue with Down game in Kiltoom and 6 until Mayo game should be plenty of time for it to be OK.

It should never have been let get so bad,it has been in a poor condition for nearly 10 years at this stage.

I was told my a person from inside the set up that the state of the pitch was terrible and it will need plenty of time and good weather to be in proper condition for games.Hopefully with improved weather over the next few weeks it will be ready for the rest of the home games.I think 3 weeks until Down but not a major issue with Down game in Kiltoom and 6 until Mayo game should be plenty of time for it to be OK.

It should never have been let get so bad,it has been in a poor condition for nearly 10 years at this stage.

Its a natural clay pitch. Very few of those left around the country. Don't compare it to a prunty or sand based pitch.
    Once the summer rolls around the pitch is ok.
    Nobody ever gets badly injured on the field as the surface has a good bit of 'give' in it.

There was a Connacht final played on it last summer.

Its a natural clay pitch. Very few of those left around the country. Don't compare it to a prunty or sand based pitch.
    Once the summer rolls around the pitch is ok.
    Nobody ever gets badly injured on the field as the surface has a good bit of 'give' in it.

There was a Connacht final played on it last summer.

Yes it's fine come summertime but not much use if it not playable for the league.Ros will only play 1 or 2 games in the Hyde during the summer most years.
    Just because there was a Connacht final played on the pitch last summer doesn't mean everything is OK,either way when they lay the new pitch in the coming months this problem should be a thing of the past.

• Advertisement

Yes it's fine come summertime but not much use if it not playable for the league.Ros will only play 1 or 2 games in the Hyde during the summer most years.
    Just because there was a Connacht final played on the pitch last summer doesn't mean everything is OK,either way when they lay the new pitch in the coming months this problem should be a thing of the past.

we've played most early league games in Kiltoom the last few years
    you do realise the county board doesn't have a dime?

think of all the money wasted on buying land out in Oran.
    and the debacle with the Kilbride pitches

Advertisement