Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

This time last year every pundit said Roscommon would be consolidating in Division 2, instead they went for the jugular and got promoted first time

I don't think this group of players is going to settle for just being safe in Division One.
    Genuinely thin they are capable of a semi final spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Down is a banker for another 2 points. Realistically, how do feel about taking any points from Mayo, Donegal or Dublin? Even if the worst comes to the worst, 6 pts should be enough to stay up at the bare minimum, especially as you'll have a great pts scored to pts conceded ratio after today. You also won the head to head battles with two other possible relegation counties - Kerry and Cork.

We already beat that Mayo team this year and the last championship tie was a single point loss. There's feck all fear of Mayo. Donegal are no better than Monaghan so why would we feel worried about them? Wouldn't expect to win in Letterkenny but there's no reason not to be competitive.

Besides Dublin and maybe Down at the other end the rest of these teams can beat each other. And saying that Dublin were lucky boys last night themselves.

I'd expect Dublin to home and hosed and be looking towards the league semi-finals the week after when the come to the Hyde. I'd prefer them to send as full strength a team as they can so we get game-time against them - if we are safe by then - but the likelihood is they will experiment. That makes it harder to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jayzus, there's confidence for you. Fair play !

Jayzus, there's confidence for you. Fair play !

Confidence? We could easily lose all three but in particular the Mayo game is nothing above what we've faced so far. Donegal is more about dealing with their physicality than it is being out-classed by their football ability. With Dublin it's more hit and hope.

Well Roscommon don't exactly have a long and glorious history of beating top 4 teams, who consistently play in All Ireland semi finals and finals. So like I said - I admire your confidence. The players are certainly taking a 'no fear' approach to their opposition & its seems to be paying dividends for them.

• Advertisement

Well Roscommon don't exactly have a long and glorious history of beating top 4 teams, who consistently play in All Ireland semi finals and finals. So like I said - I admire your confidence. The players are certainly taking a 'no fear' approach to their opposition & its seems to be paying dividends for them.

Roscommon have a very long history of competing in D1.

I meant recently, this decade, with this squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Down is a banker for another 2 points.

There are no bankers for Roscommon. Consistency was a huge issue under Evans..Sligo, fermanagh, nuig, laois were all bankers last year yet Roscommon lost them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

rossie1977 wrote: »
    There are no bankers for Roscommon. Consistency was a huge issue under Evans..Sligo, fermanagh, nuig, laois were all bankers last year yet Roscommon lost them all

We got rid of the kerry lad
    who was playing injured players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Don't have a county pitch

Don't have a centre of excellence

Who cares.

Looks like we are better on the road anyway. Play all games away.
    Roscommon for the Munster championship 2016!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Looks like the winter tyres may finally be coming off the bus....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Roscommon v Down game moved to Pearse Park Longford.
    Shambles of a situation we find ourselves in.

Feck. We've lost in Longford once already this year. :eek:

Feck. We've lost in Longford once already this year. :eek:
    They better hope for the next 3 weeks to bring good weather.There will be murder if Mayo and Dublin games arent played in Roscommon.

What's wrong with the Hyde? (See, we Dubs even know all the Rossie lingo now. :P) Are the stands under construction, or is the pitch just a mess from all the winter floods and wet weather?

What's wrong with the Hyde? (See, we Dubs even know all the Rossie lingo now. :P) Are the stands under construction, or is the pitch just a mess from all the winter floods and wet weather?

The pitch is in a terrible state, no construction work taking place.

Well, if it's in that bad a state, what are the odds of it being playable in 3-4 weeks? That's not a long amount of time to get it ready. I couldn't care less where it's played. I just don't want it played on a dangerous, unsuitable pitch and risk serious injury to players. This is the time of year when cruciate injures are epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Maybe the money on the bus should have been spent on the county ground!

crusier wrote: »
    Maybe the money on the bus should have been spent on the county ground!

I doubt they could get anyone to sponsor laying a new pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

I see the main stand (built less than 10 years ago) in Pearse Park is condemned and lying unused as it awaits demolition. I wonder do the county board know this. Who gets the game receipts?
    Roscommon have great underage structures but the county board is a joke, the Hyde has been a disgrace for several seasons know, and years of neglect is going to cost them €1000's in the league alone, sure we'll have another draw and the supporters can continue to pay for the folly of the administrators.

• Advertisement

The county board would be well aware of the situation in Pearse Park it was highlighted months ago.
    I was told that it will only hold about 8k so it won't be any use to us if Dublin or Mayo game can't be played in the Hyde.
    Could we possibly have to give Mayo and Dublin the games if we can't hold them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

yabadabado wrote: »
    The county board would be well aware of the situation in Pearse Park it was highlighted months ago.
    I was told that it will only hold about 8k so it won't be any use to us if Dublin or Mayo game can't be played in the Hyde.
    Could we possibly have to give Mayo and Dublin the games if we can't hold them?

8k sounds just about adequate for the Dublin match.

The Mayo v Dublin match drew about 10k to Castlebar last month, even with the huge national rivalry between the two this was generally accepted as an excellent attendance (horrible night weather wise won't have helped).

Outside of the novelty value there's no real history between Ros and the Dubs.
    I would imagine they will stick with Longford for that one at least if forced rather than bring it to Dublin.

Mout likely make it all ticket and create a bit of excitement around playing the AI champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

All accommodation apparently booked out in Roscommon town already for the night of the Dub/Ros game.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    8k sounds just about adequate for the Dublin match.

The Mayo v Dublin match drew about 10k to Castlebar last month, even with the huge national rivalry between the two this was generally accepted as an excellent attendance (horrible night weather wise won't have helped).

Outside of the novelty value there's no real history between Ros and the Dubs.
    I would imagine they will stick with Longford for that one at least if forced rather than bring it to Dublin.

Mout likely make it all ticket and create a bit of excitement around playing the AI champions.

We have no history with Monaghan either, but there were still well over 10,000 at our game in Clones, to finish up last years league schedule. Nice sunny day in April, afternoon throw in, so it's easy to do in a day trip....unlike Castlebar where it's a fcuking Baltic night in early February & your looking at having to stay overnight, or get home at midnight, after a 3 hour drive on dark, icy roads. There'll be plenty of Dubs looking to do the Rossie road trip. An eight thousand capacity ground won't be big enough.

We have no history with Monaghan either, but there were still well over 10,000 at our game in Clones, to finish up last years league schedule. Nice sunny day in April, afternoon throw in so it's easy to do in a day trip, unlike Castlebar where it's a fcuking Baltic night in early February & your looking at having to stay overnight, or get home at midnight after a 3 hour drive on dark, icy roads. There'll be plenty of Dubs looking to do the Rossie road trip. An eight thousand capacity ground won't be big enough.

It's a tight one right enough, but a much better solution than a total concession.
    I still feel 8000 should cover what should be a dead rubber for both unless Roscommon are still in with a shout for the semi finals.

It's a tight one right enough, but a much better solution than a total concession.
    I still feel 8000 should cover what should be a dead rubber for both unless Roscommon are still in with a shout for the semi finals.
    Not a hope 8k would cover Ros v Dub. Roscommon is very assessable from Dublin, motorway for all bar 20 miles and train into town within 2 hrs. I was told weeks ago they expected a huge crowd at that game.
    Not often we get the AI champions in town and a long time since Dubs have played here.around 2001 I think. All adds up to a big crowd from both sides.

Last years game against Monaghan was dead rubber too. Both counties were in the semi finals, regardless of the outcome of the game. But it still drew over 10,000 spectators. We played Monaghan in the AI quarter final the year before too, so the novelty factor wasn't there, the way it will be for a Roscommon v Dublin game.

Mullingar?

Nah. If its moved to a Leinster venue, it will be Tullamore or Portlaoise. They tend to be the go to venues for big (non CP) games. Or Nowlan Park. Better the Rossie footballers never thought they'd be playing there this year. ! :rolleyes:

It would be a shame if it's moved out of Connaught. But if the Hyde is still unplayable in 3 week, how many stadia in Connaught can (a) hold 10,000 plus comfortably (b) has adequate access/parking for that size of a crowd (c) won't already be in use, on the last day of the regular league season and (d) has a pitch that is playable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Dublin will play Roscommon in the Hyde. That's what they're saving it for.

Advertisement